TheFlyingDisk

Re: Dead or dying fashion brands still popular outside your home country

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 am

SCQ83 wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
Speaking of TK Maxx... I was surprised to see ellesse stuff there. I thought they were gone for ages and have them associated forever with 1980s/90s pro tennis.

Ellesse (like FILA) is now back in trend.

https://www.jdsports.co.uk/page/ellesse-hub/

I always thought that Ellesse was a watch brand. Didn't know they make apparels too.

And FILA still exists? I only got their stuff when they had Ferrari branded things.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

TSS

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
And FILA still exists? I only got their stuff when they had Ferrari branded things.

I had no idea FILA did Ferrari branded things. My only frame of reference for them is the 1984-85 FILA Edition Ford Thunderbird, though from the ad I gathered they were a sportswear company.

I like the stark white-over-charcoal exterior but those white seats inside would have to go.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 am

TSS wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I had no idea FILA did Ferrari branded things. My only frame of reference for them is the 1984-85 FILA Edition Ford Thunderbird, though from the ad I gathered they were a sportswear company.

I like the stark white-over-charcoal exterior but those white seats inside would have to go.

They did back when they were sponsoring the Ferrari F1 team, but that was ages ago.

As for that Thunderbird, yeesh. Looks horrendous!

TSS

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:25 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
TSS wrote:
1984-85 FILA Edition Ford Thunderbird

You think so? For comparison here's a standard '84 Thunderbird in what is likely the most popular color that year

And for context, here's what the previous generation 1980-82 Thunderbirds looked like (WARNING- Do not look directly at the photograph without giving your eyes time to adjust to the ugliness therein! Even Americans found this generation of Thunderbirds hideous when they were new!)

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:11 am

TSS wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
TSS wrote:
1984-85 FILA Edition Ford Thunderbird

You think so? For comparison here's a standard '84 Thunderbird in what is likely the most popular color that year

And for context, here's what the previous generation 1980-82 Thunderbirds looked like (WARNING- Do not look directly at the photograph without giving your eyes time to adjust to the ugliness therein! Even Americans found this generation of Thunderbirds hideous when they were new!)

Well, I do agree that the Thunderbird look hideous!

bunumuring

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Hey guys,
Bunumuring Junior #2 and I spent a couple of hours in a factory outlets mall in Sydney today....
It's funny that some of the labels being discussed in is thread featured....
FILA had a shop but junior ignored it, and it was empty of customers in an otherwise busy mall...
Glue Store outlet had a large range of Ellese and Le Coq Sportif merchandise on sale, as well as their standard adidas/Nike/gstar raw etc....many customers inside
Volcom outlet had a huge range, all 20% off... We bought jeans there
Vans (usually juniour's favourite shop) had a good range but not as 'discounted prices' as normal.... We bought two pairs of shoes, socks and an awesome satchel I will use for work
Converse had a large store (one of the biggest in the complex) with a large range, but absolutely no customers inside!
justSport is the adidas clearance outlet in the complex and it was packed. It also stocks a brand neither of us had come across before called 'Spencer Reality' and junior bought a really great checked cotton long sleeve shirt from their range, reduced from $100 to $40. I loved it and wished that I had seen it first, lol!
Merrell likewise was packed
Aussie brands like Politix, Country Road, Sportscraft, Esprit and Bonds also have outlets in the complex and all were busy.
Swedish chain H&M had a 'pop up' clearance store which took us by surprise... It was in the large store previously operated as a Calvin Klein outlet, with no sign of any CK anywhere else in the complex
In the Stussy outlet we bought a couple of heavily discounted tshirts.
A fun day!
By the way, the discussion up thread about he FILA Ford Thunderbird reminded me of the time in the 80s when Australian fashion label Carla Zampatti had a 'labelled' Ford Capri convertible on sale, and I seem to remember Australian fashion brand Esprit also had a deal with Ford at some point in the 80s but I can't remember which model of Ford it was....
Cheers
Bunumruing
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

TSS

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:15 pm

bunumuring wrote:
By the way, the discussion up thread about he FILA Ford Thunderbird reminded me of the time in the 80s when Australian fashion label Carla Zampatti had a 'labelled' Ford Capri convertible on sale, and I seem to remember Australian fashion brand Esprit also had a deal with Ford at some point in the 80s but I can't remember which model of Ford it was.

We also had the 1972-73 Pierre Cardin Javelin

and a whole raft of "Designer Edition" Lincoln Continentals by Cartier, Emilio Pucci, Hubert de Givenchy, Bill Blass, and possibly one or two others, my favorite of which is the '77 Givenchy Edition

SCQ83

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 pm

ESPRIT is not an Australian brand (unless there is another Esprit brand there independent than the one sold in the rest of the world).

bunumuring

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 am

SCQ83 wrote:
ESPRIT is not an Australian brand (unless there is another Esprit brand there independent than the one sold in the rest of the world).

Hey mate,
Perhaps I stand corrected?
It has long developed a strong 'australian' based image and I always assumed it was actually an Australian-native brand!
Cheers
Bunumuring

melpax

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:38 am

bunumuring wrote:
By the way, the discussion up thread about he FILA Ford Thunderbird reminded me of the time in the 80s when Australian fashion label Carla Zampatti had a 'labelled' Ford Capri convertible on sale, and I seem to remember Australian fashion brand Esprit also had a deal with Ford at some point in the 80s but I can't remember which model of Ford it was....
Cheers
Bunumruing

Nissan sold a special edition Reebok branded Pulsar in Australia at around the same time....

Getting classy, Ford Australia offered a Cartier-branded LTD limo as their range topper in the early 80's - these are now highly collectable...

The lamest in these parts though would have to be the Holden Barina Sportsgirl edition - The Barina was a rebadged Suzuki Swift, while Sportsgirl is an Aussie clothing chain targeting the younger crowd......

http://80shero.blogspot.com/2016/02/a-s ... arina.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

bunumuring

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Hey melpax,
Wow! I had forgotten about the Pulsar and the Swift.... And didn't know about the Ford LTD!
A mate of mine bought a second hand Reebok Pulsar and it was stolen shortly afterwards : he was devastated as he was very much a 'brands boy'!
To that list we could add the gold-coloured Vittoria Coffee Audi from a few years ago.... I believe that it was sold commercially here in Australia?!?! I know that They were prizes in competitions but I seem to remember them being on sale at my local Audi dealership at some point.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

melpax

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:02 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey melpax,
Wow! I had forgotten about the Pulsar and the Swift.... And didn't know about the Ford LTD!
A mate of mine bought a second hand Reebok Pulsar and it was stolen shortly afterwards : he was devastated as he was very much a 'brands boy'!
To that list we could add the gold-coloured Vittoria Coffee Audi from a few years ago.... I believe that it was sold commercially here in Australia?!?! I know that They were prizes in competitions but I seem to remember them being on sale at my local Audi dealership at some point.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Those Pulsars were OK for their time, back when the base models were VERY basic, proably one of the better done 'special editions'

I've seen a few of those gold Audi's getting around in Melbourne as well, always thought they were sales rep's cars, not prizes!
Essendon - Whatever it takes......