1337Delta764
Topic Author

Dead or dying fashion brands still popular outside your home country

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:59 am

While some fashion brands may be dead or nearly dead in your home country, does anyone know examples that are still popular in some other country?

While not really a foreign country, I am currently visiting my family in Puerto Rico and I noticed that Nautica is still going strong here despite nearly being dead in the mainland United States. I saw quite a few people wearing Nautica shirts. Also, they have a few store locations in Puerto Rico, and another popular local mall-based retailer who stocks a lot of their products is El Gran Via.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

afterburner

Re: Dead or dying fashion brands still popular outside your home country

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:22 am

Not quite popular, but we have Nautica stores here in Jakarta, Indonesia.

seb146

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:45 am

I didn't know there was going to be a pop quiz on my recent trip.

We went to Macy's in beautiful downtown Burbank. I honestly do not remember the brands. Levi's jeans were on sale and I bought two INC shirts. Other than that, I really didn't notice.

Downtown Burbank really is beautiful.

And the brosband was saved from a trip to IKEA. I cried, but I forced myself away from IKEA. For his sanity.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 am

Adidas , Reebok,

scbriml

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:07 am

Izod.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Jouhou

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 am

??? None of the brands listed have fallen into irrelevance in the US (at least not the northeast where I live). Just not particularly popular either.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:25 pm

scbriml wrote:
Izod.

IZOD is not unpopular, they did have a low point back in 2014-2015 but since 2016 seems to be coming back. However, I have heard they are more popular in Mexico than the United States.

bunumuring

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Hey guys,
Re : Nautica... My 'fashion tragic' 16 year old son told me before Christmas that Nautica was one of the most 'on trend' brands for teenagers at the moment here in Australia... So I bought him some for Christmas.
As for brands dying... Mossimo seems to be dying here in Australia. My fav department store, Myer, doesn't stock their undies or accessories at all anymore and seemed to have reduced the clothing range substantially. How is Mossimo doing in the US?
IZOD? I would say that they are basically unknown here in Australia...
Seb146, I totally feel your ikea pain.... I face that dilemma often too!
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

BlueberryWheats

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:50 pm

I'd never heard of IZOD until a.net.

Now I'm sick of hearing about it.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Note that Nautica was sold in 2018 to Authentic Brands Group, a company that is known to buy insolvent brands in effort to save them.

As for IZOD in Australia, do they even sell their products there? IZOD only entered portions of Europe this past fall and will be expanding to more of Europe and the Middle East this spring.

scbriml

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:43 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:

Paid sponsorship is the only explanation.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Francoflier

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:46 pm

scbriml wrote:
Izod.

:rotfl:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:15 pm

scbriml wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Paid sponsorship is the only explanation.

I didn't even intend to bring up IZOD until someone brought it up to defame them.

scbriml

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:44 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
I didn't even intend to bring up IZOD until someone brought it up to defame them.

Defame them? :rotfl:

Now I know you're paid by them! :rotfl:

seb146

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:25 pm

scbriml wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Defame them? :rotfl:

Now I know you're paid by them! :rotfl:

Brand loyalty. Not a thing wrong with that. I think Under Armor shoes are the best. I have probably 10 pair including two Steph Curry. I also buy Chucks and Nike and Adidas but when I find a good price on Under Armor, I get them.

Someone up the thread from Australia mentioned Mossimo. I just realized there is not much Mossimo gear here. I didn't know they had underwear, either. Maybe just and Australia thing. I don't think Ocean Pacific is around anymore, either. Or Britannia.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

CitizenJustin

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Ed Hardy is still popular in some countries outside the U.S.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Also, I do think IZOD may be more popular in certain parts of the United States than others. I do think they are popular in Florida. IZOD is a brand that tends to make most of its sales in the spring and summer, and with Florida's year-round warm climate combined with many of the themes of IZOD's clothing (remember the Spring 2017 Pelican Print Oxford in Fairy Tale?), they get a head start on sales of their spring collections.

johns624

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:36 pm

seb146 wrote:
Brand loyalty. Not a thing wrong with that.
There's a BIG difference between loyalty and obsession...

BlueberryWheats

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:29 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
(remember the Spring 2017 Pelican Print Oxford in Fairy Tale?)

Must have slipped my mind.

bunumuring

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:20 am

Hey guys,
Some points from downunder....
- IZOD isn't sold in Australia in 'mainstream' stores as far as I am aware. Maybe it is in boutiques but I've never seen the brand on sale anywhere here except (bizarrely) in a 'direct factory outlet' chain called TK Maxx... Which I believe has US links. I buy Michael Kors shirts, Kenneth Cole shirts and ties, CK socks n jocks and Ben Sherman shirts, pants and jocks from there at substantially discounted prices.
- Mossimo in Australia sold a huge range of mens, womens and children's clothing until about 18 months ago. The Mossimo boutiques closed at short notice and the department stores carrying the brand (mainly Myer) substantially cut back on the range offered. All underwear and accessories went (not even for sale online in Australia) and I reckon the menswear range of shirts, shorts, pants and jackets was cut back by about 75%. It was such a shame as I loved the brand.
- Ed Hardy is still sold in Australia. One department store (David Jones) still sells a good range of the brand and some boutiques also still stock it.
- Ocean Pacific is still sold in Australia as well but isn't a 'cool brand' nor has been for a decade or more... It's seen as being too mainstream and 'bogan' (an Aussie term: Google it!) My teenage sons wouldn't be caught dead in it!
- one US brand clawing its way back in Australia is Jockey. It is slowly regaining all the ground it lost towards the end of the 90s when it all but disappeared from Australia...
Cheers,
Bunumuring

L410Turbolet

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:11 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
(remember the Spring 2017 Pelican Print Oxford in Fairy Tale?)

Must have slipped my mind.

:rotfl:

Speaking of TK Maxx... I was surprised to see ellesse stuff there. I thought they were gone for ages and have them associated forever with 1980s/90s pro tennis.

afcjets

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:47 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Izod.

IZOD is not unpopular, they did have a low point back in 2014-2015 but since 2016 seems to be coming back. However, I have heard they are more popular in Mexico than the United States.

IZOD has not been popular in the US since the early 1980s. It was by far the most popular brand then. The alligator replaced the Penguin of the 1970s. The Polo horse then replaced the alligator although there was some overlap where they were equally popular as Polo was more expensive. Tommy Hilfiger and Alexander Julian came next and so did Nautica although it was very basic.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:28 pm

afcjets wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Izod.

IZOD has not been popular in the US since the early 1980s. It was by far the most popular brand then. The alligator replaced the Penguin of the 1970s. The Polo horse then replaced the alligator although there was some overlap where they were equally popular as Polo was more expensive. Tommy Hilfiger and Alexander Julian came next and so did Nautica although it was very basic.

I never said that IZOD is as popular as it was in the 1980s. However, it has been making a resurgence, particularly since 2016, and in 2018 alone they brought back their women's line, launched a website for direct sales, and expanded to portions of Europe. The same can't be said of Nautica.

BenKlein

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:23 pm

All that was once popular sooner or later will return. For example, I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered such a brand of men's underwear. When I was young, I had boxer with the same jovial pattern -https://bunchofanimals.com/products/flamingos-mens-boxer-brief Only the fabric has now become a better quality.

SCQ83

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Nautica is sold in Amazon European websites.

Amazon Europe is interesting because they stock some American brands that I have never seen in a physical store anywhere in Europe. For instance, they also sell (usually heavily discounted) Eddie Bauer.

I reckon since those are sold in Amazon US, it is quite risk-free to ship a few items to a warehouse anywhere in Europe and sell them in Amazon's European websites.

BenKlein

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:25 pm

All that was once popular sooner or later will return. For example, I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered such a brand of men's underwear. When I was young, I had boxers with the same jovial pattern. Only the fabric has now become a better quality.

SCQ83

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:27 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Speaking of TK Maxx... I was surprised to see ellesse stuff there. I thought they were gone for ages and have them associated forever with 1980s/90s pro tennis.

Ellesse (like FILA) is now back in trend.

https://www.jdsports.co.uk/page/ellesse-hub/

ALL ABOUT ELLESSE

On top when it comes to the retro revival, Ellesse are back once again, stamping sweatshirts, tees and track tops with their iconic tri-coloured logo. Step up your game in legendary looks with an on-point old school twist.

zakuivcustom

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:39 pm

bunumuring wrote:
IZOD isn't sold in Australia in 'mainstream' stores as far as I am aware. Maybe it is in boutiques but I've never seen the brand on sale anywhere here except (bizarrely) in a 'direct factory outlet' chain called TK Maxx... Which I believe has US links. I buy Michael Kors shirts, Kenneth Cole shirts and ties, CK socks n jocks and Ben Sherman shirts, pants and jocks from there at substantially discounted prices.

TK Maxx in Australia/Europe = TJ Maxx in US (It's the exact same company, they just changed the name apparently b/c in UK they don't want people to confuse TJ Maxx with T.J. Hughes). I have yet to went to one outside US, though, and is pleasantly surprise that it's essentially the same stuff that they sell even in downunder :).

bunumuring wrote:
'bogan' (an Aussie term: Google it!)

What did you just make me do. :banghead: :banghead:

P.S. Come on, we all know the correct answer to the OP's question is Izod :duck:

coolian2

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:02 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:

This
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

noviorbis77

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Do people still wear Naff Naff?

usflyer msp

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:26 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Re : Nautica... My 'fashion tragic' 16 year old son told me before Christmas that Nautica was one of the most 'on trend' brands for teenagers at the moment here in Australia... So I bought him some for Christmas.
As for brands dying... Mossimo seems to be dying here in Australia. My fav department store, Myer, doesn't stock their undies or accessories at all anymore and seemed to have reduced the clothing range substantially. How is Mossimo doing in the US?
Cheers,
Bunumuring

In the US, Mossimo was an in-house brand for Target. They discontinued it a few years ago which is probably why it is disappearing from Australia - I suspect you all just received extra runs of what Target ordered.

TSS

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:53 pm

bunumuring wrote:
- Ocean Pacific is still sold in Australia as well but isn't a 'cool brand' nor has been for a decade or more... It's seen as being too mainstream and 'bogan' (an Aussie term: Google it!) My teenage sons wouldn't be caught dead in it!

In the 80s Ocean Pacific stuff was well made and attractive and was seen and worn as the anti-IZOD, cool, laid-back surfer dude stuff versus IZOD's uptight, social-climbing yuppie wear. Ocean Pacific radically dropped their quality amid a flurry of imitators in the early 90s and flooded the market, thus destroying any brand loyalty or cachet they possessed. In that same "surf wear" genre, the brand Hobie was superior to Ocean Pacific even when OP was still good quality, but I have no idea if Hobie is even available anymore.

I found it funny when I saw a British YouTuber who considers himself quite the fashionista wearing an Aeropostale shirt the other day because here in the US or at least in Alabama, Aeropostale is only worn by the most "bogan-y"of bogans.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:02 pm

TSS wrote:
bunumuring wrote:

In the 80s Ocean Pacific stuff was well made and attractive and was seen and worn as the anti-IZOD, cool, laid-back surfer dude stuff versus IZOD's uptight, social-climbing yuppie wear. Ocean Pacific radically dropped their quality amid a flurry of imitators in the early 90s and flooded the market, thus destroying any brand loyalty or cachet they possessed. In that same "surf wear" genre, the brand Hobie was superior to Ocean Pacific even when OP was still good quality, but I have no idea if Hobie is even available anymore.

I found it funny when I saw a British YouTuber who considers himself quite the fashionista wearing an Aeropostale shirt the other day because here in the US or at least in Alabama, Aeropostale is only worn by the most "bogan-y"of bogans.

Interestingly, Aeropostale filed bankruptcy a few years ago and their brand and intellectual property was bought out by Authentic Brands Group, the same company who bought Nautica last year.

afcjets

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:19 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Cheers,
Bunumuring

In the US, Mossimo was an in-house brand for Target. They discontinued it a few years ago which is probably why it is disappearing from Australia - I suspect you all just received extra runs of what Target ordered.

My favorite pair of jeans in the mid to late 1990s were Mossimo, before that I wore Calvin Klein, going back to high school and before Levi's and when I was really little I wore Wranglers and loved it I felt like a cowboy, probably some commercial I saw as a kid lol. Anyhow Mossimo was the same price as CK if not slightly more expensive. Then they sold out to Target. I would go to Target every year hoping I could find a similar pair but I never could. Now I wear Volcom.
Last edited by afcjets on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

afcjets

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:27 pm

TSS wrote:
bunumuring wrote:

I totally forgot about OP, I loved them back in the early to mid 1980s. Yes, Hobie even has a few stores in SNA on PCH, one in Newport Beach (Corona del Mar to be exact) and one in Dana Point. l think all surf brands are based in OC, Quicksilver, Volcom, O'Neill, etc their names are on several bldgs. I don't know where OP was based though.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Note that some brands in some countries may be licensed out and different from what you find in their home country. For example, the IZOD brand is licensed out to Arvind for products sold in India.

bunumuring

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:14 am

Hey guys,
Update from downunder....
- Ellese is a highly trendy brand at the moment in Australia, as is Le Coq Sportif (I spent a small fortune buying shirts, shorts and socks from these two brands for Bunumuring Jnr #2 before Christmas)
- Mossimo is Australia has NEVER been sold in Target stores, and I'm not sure what relationship Target in Australia has if any with Target in the US... Mossimo was licensed I believe by the company (is it still called 'Pacific Brands'?) that owns Bonds, and is seen as the 'upmarket' sister brand to Bonds etc and even had its own boutiques. In Australia it was definitely not a Target home brand and judging by a quick internet search, even has a different logo to Mossimo in the US...
- TK Maxx took over the 'Trade Secret' chain of stores last year. Before then they had no presence in Australia. Generally, I believe that the amount of American brands stocked by them has slightly increased, but many are brands that are basically Unknown in the Australian market. At the same time, many brands known to Australians such as Calvin Klein, Ben Sherman and Levis seem to have less and less stock.
- Hanes have tried twice to break into the Australian market and failed dismally both times. Their products are on sale only at TK Maxx I believe, at heavily discounted prices like $5 for a plain coloured tshirt and $3 for a pair of very ordinary undies.
- Wrangler products are making a comeback in Australia, particularly at the big two department stores, Myer and David Jones.
- classic surf brands are always huge sellers, withRipcurl, Quiksilver and Billabong (which all started I believe in Australia) selling to all ages. Newer brands like Rusty, Volcom and Nixon have made big inroads. Ocean Pacific and Mambo are out of fashion at the moment, with Mambo selling out to become basically a low-quality home brand for Big W discount department stores....(which breaks my heart! Come back Reg Mombassa!)
- Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren seem to be expanding exponentially here in Australia, as are Ted Baker and Paul Smith. I have a few shirts/tshirts of each of these and prefer Paul Smith of these four.
Cheers
Bunumuring

fallap

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Jeans with holes in them seemed to be pretty popular in Ukraine last summer.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

TSS

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm

bunumuring wrote:
- Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren seem to be expanding exponentially here in Australia, as are Ted Baker and Paul Smith. I have a few shirts/tshirts of each of these and prefer Paul Smith of these four.

Has Tommy Hilfiger finally stopped copying designs from old Ship & Shore catalogs as he was apparently doing during his heyday in the early 90s and come up with something original?

For those too young to remember, Ship & Shore was a line of travel-oriented clothing from the 70s and before that was all reversible, drip-dry, and coordinated, so that you could get "27 different looks from these four pieces of clothing". Just like Hilfiger's stuff, most of it was navy blue, forest green, crimson, off-white, or a combination of any of those and had the same vaguely nautical theme.

Channex757

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Champion stuff is really back on trend now. It was popular in the 70s/80s then became bargain bin stuff. Now it's a newly reinvented fashion line.

I get most of my stuff from Jacamo nowadays for the slightly fashionable bloater-about-town. That's a label that is spreading to the USA.

TSS

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Channex757 wrote:
I get most of my stuff from Jacamo nowadays for the slightly fashionable bloater-about-town. That's a label that is spreading to the USA.

I wonder who they'll get to be the spokesperson since Freddie Flintoff isn't well known on this side of the pond?

Channex757

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:13 pm

TSS wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

I wonder who they'll get to be the spokesperson since Freddie Flintoff isn't well known on this side of the pond?

Dunno, but on the subject of clothes I saw before Christmas a new line of womens' sportswear called Sweaty Betty.

I kid you not. Almost pissed my incontinence pants laughing. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

BestWestern

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:55 pm

Playboy clothes are big in third tier Chinese cities.

Pierre Cardain is big in East Africa.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

FlapsOne

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:15 pm

New Balance here in the UK. I still like them even if they are a ‘dad brand’ and in their twilight. Personally I don’t think there’s a better quality or more durable show for around the £50 mark. They even used to make some shoes in the UK which I liked the idea of supporting local jobs. It won’t be long until they’re at the same level of Kappa, Hi Tec or Ellesse.

Not a brand as such, but what is with the obsession of having ‘authentic’ written on clothing? I’m guilty myself of wearing them but authentic what? Who cares that your discount store undies are authentic or not.

bunumuring

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 am

Hey guys,
Champion and Lonsdale brands suffer from a lot of piracy here in Australia. Many markets feature clothing labelled with them at cheap prices. Thus they are arguably not considered to be desirable brands here in Australia.
New Balance is an interesting brand. I think it is a 'mid market' brand here in Australia, probably growing but not getting the 'A Grade' attention many other brands enjoy.
Incidentally, I was in a charity clothing outlet today ... And saw a brown checked IZOD button collared shirt on sale for $3. Immediately made me think of a certain a.netter...
Cheers,
Bunumuring

avek00

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:14 pm

DKNY.
Live life to the fullest.

coolian2

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Supreme is awfully popular here at the moment
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

SCQ83

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:18 pm

New Balance has been very popular and trend in the last 5 years or so in Europe. It seems that in the last year or so it is fading a bit.

coolian2 wrote:
Supreme is awfully popular here at the moment

Where is here? I would say Supreme is awfully popular all around the world right now. Even the street sellers in Spain selling knock-offs now they have fake Supreme bags next to Gucci or Louis Vuitton.

Flighty

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:02 pm

BestWestern wrote:
Playboy clothes are big in third tier Chinese cities.

Pierre Cardain is big in East Africa.

Which makes you what... a 727 freighter pilot? Il-76?... interesting information and correct afaik, just wondering how you keep up with the nether regions of the international Wild West.

EstherLouise

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 am

*Scratch, scratch* Brands? Oh. Like Wrangler and Carhart and Hanes.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83