zrs70
Topic Author

Getting sick on the road

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Who out there has succumbed to stomach problems (or worse) on the road?

Years ago, my husband and I were in Morocco. Our entire group had a bad meal, and we all spent the following day in the bathroom. It was awful.

By the end of the day, we were lying in bed and it took all of our effort to split a half a banana.

I think of this, as we are now in India, Delhi Belly has struck.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

CitizenJustin

Re: Getting sick on the road

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:18 pm

I have, but not in a place anyone would expect it. I was in Paris with my parter. Our train to London left in the evening, so we had some time to relax. We went to one of the many food stands and I just chose a few slices of pizza. They weren’t good and they were cold. A few hours later, we were on the train and any type of movement would send me over the edge. Unfortunately, I spent the remainder of the trip in the bathroom.

There’s NOTHING worse than the lonely feeling of being sick thousands of miles from home.

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:53 pm

That’s my nightmare scenario. Fortunately it hasn’t happened to me yet. I have gotten a stomach bug just as I got home, so I’ve had a close call.

777222LR

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:59 pm

I got the flu in Dubai...well, I was "infected" with the flu, but not yet sick. I flew home via Istanbul and Houston. I started feeling not well on the IST-IAH flight. The next day after I woke up at home, 103 fever and straight up flu. It was THE WORST flue I've ever had. I'm just gonna say, it's not the equivalent of the US flu. The Middle East sure knows how to do a good flu.

ltbewr

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Getting sick when traveling, especially where the digestive tract is involved, can be a real bummer. Back in November on my last full day in Amsterdam, I work up during the night and in the morning with my stomach not feeling good. I think something I ate the day or night before was causing the upset. I didn't have any breakfast, took some antacid pills I had with me, stayed in my motel room until about 11:00, finally going out to spend the day in Haarlam. My first 'food' of the day was some french fries from a stand about 4 PM, although I did drink water from when I got up.
I find it a good idea to have some antacid or Pepto-Bismol tablets handy when I travel in case, as what happened, I can try to deal with it.

readytotaxi

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:33 pm

A holiday in Florida 10yrs ago I got bitten by a mosquito, woke up the next morning and could hardly open my eyes. Stumbled to mirror and had to use my fingers to open my eyelids. The reaction to the bite had caused a build up of fluid in my face and my forehead was distended with fluid, looked like the Frankenstein monster. Cleared up with some drugs 48yrs later.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

BlueberryWheats

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:28 pm

I'll never forget the time that a stomach upset decided to hit me just as I was queuing to board a 747 from Orlando to Gatwick. Sudden cramps and needing the restroom immediately. Unfortunately I was still halfway down what felt like the longest jetbridge in the world.

Didn't bother finding my seat, I was only interested in finding a toilet seat! The crew had to ask me to take my seat for takeoff. We took off after a long taxi and then the captain made an announcement that the seatbelt sign would be staying on for a while due to weather. When it FINALLY went off I went straight back to the loo, probably knocked a few people over in my mad dash.

I hope I never have an experience like that again. I really felt like the universe was punishing me for something.

Strangely I was fine again about an hour prior to landing.

Kiwirob

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:42 pm

zrs70 wrote:

Only drink bottled water, don’t have any ice and steer clear of street food, you should be ok.

A few years back I was in Birmingham and woke up with a Bell’s palsy, that’s wasn’t a lot of fun.

BestWestern

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:00 am

I got dengue fever in china without knowing it. I was flying home and got stranded by the Icelandic volcano, so rather than flying from Chengdu, I ended up flying ex Manila five days later.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

chimborazo

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 am

Spent a week in Kurdistan... fine. Cappuccino at hotel in the morning (my first, normally black coffee) about 8h before flight. Started feeling grumpy 2h later then had to rush to the loo. Not good.
Tactical toilet trips right before leaving for airport, and before getting on flights.
Embarrassed to leave the loo at one point on way to Doha as cabin crew outside.....

Lots of water in Doha. Spent about 2 of 7 hours in the A380 lav on the way to Heathrow. I was halfway down the business cabin and my colleague was 1 up from the lav door. About an hour in he asked if I wanted to swap so I was closer. “No thanks,” I said, “It stinks back here!”

It’s a horrible, horrible feeling knowing you might suddenly have the immediate need when getting on a flight. How long to runway? How long will the seatbelt sign be on? How many people between me and the lav and do they look like they will stand up and go to loo as soon as seat belt sign off (hand on buckle and poised for action, staring at the seat belt sign and wishing it to go off!!)

tommy1808

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:34 am

Kiwirob wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

Only drink bottled water, don’t have any ice and steer clear of street food, you should be ok..

While I agree on ice in many places, fried or cooked street food should not be a concern if you can watch it really being fried or that the water is in fact boiling. Even pagpag is safe under those conditions... wether you want to try is a different question.

As to being sick on the road, I do tend to easily get something mildly feverish in countries where AC is set to freezing regardless of outside temperature. Fortunately that is becoming more rare.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Number6

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 am

On a recent trip to Iceland, I had what I thought was a bit of a cold. 24 hours later, I’m coughing, wheezing and running a temperature. The whole trip turned out to be a nightmare with two of my three reasons for being there disappearing via weather and and buyout. By the time I reached home three days later, I got in early in the morning and went straight to bed. Worst Trip ever!

sccutler

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Years ago, my son and I both got sick while on vacation in Moorea; it was bad enough that I asked the hotel to recommend a physician, and they did better-they call the doctor, who came and did a house call (okay, a hotel call).

She was very helpful, very friendly, and so beautiful it made my eyes hurt.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

FatCat

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 am

I got sick on the plane on the Tokio - Munich route. Just one hour after take off.
It was some creepy airport Sushi that raped my stomach.
Thanks to the Airbus engineers, the A346 has the lavatories under the main cabin...
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

JJJ

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:49 am

Kiwirob wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

Only drink bottled water, don’t have any ice and steer clear of street food, you should be ok.

I've always followed that, and for the most part got away. Once in Kenya though I had a scoop of ice cream on a posh centric café that got me a day fully locked up in the hotel room and at least two days of discomfort every time I dared to eat anything.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:37 pm

There are a number of issues, in a country without effective water supplies and sewer systems there are higher probabilities of infection. And in such a place there are different bacteria/fungi/amoeba than your system is used to. Also time difference had screw up your digestive tract or make it more vulnerable. Finally bottled water quality control may not be as good as you think (even in the good ole USA), and we were never able to get the cooks to actually cook our eggs. All in all, it is something of a crapp shoot to stay healthy when a world traveler, especially if you are even a little adventurous.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

winginit

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Ciprofloxacin is a travelers best friend in many of the scenarios mentioned so far in the thread. It’s saved me numerous times throughout sub-Saharan Africa and interior China.

mham001

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:43 pm

When I saw the thread title I was thinking of being bent over a ditch along the road. I got a bug on a motorcycle trip and holed up in a motel in Mendocino and fasted until it passed. Except for a nasty headache. Managed to ride back home to the doctor who prescribed a strong coffee. It worked in minutes, I had caffeine withdrawals.