Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Migraines

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Does anyone here suffer from migraines? I get horrible — nausea inducing migraines and they’re starting to impact my life. Prescription medication has been useless.

What concerns me is the inability to work because mine are completely debilitating. I can’t drive and the nausea is so severe that even the slightest movement can cause vomiting. Of course this induces tremendous anxiety and a lot of people just don’t understand. They’ll say “whenever I get a migraine, I just work through it.” Well, then you had a bad headache — not a migraine. The constant “you’re just being a baby” responses/looks make the situation worse. The doctor has examined me and I don’t have a tumor or any underlying cause.

If anyone could give me some advice, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks

TWA772LR

Re: Migraines

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Have you tried different medications? I was medicated for something else but the first one I was taking didnt work so they switched the medicine and it was night and day.

Deepak Chropra meditation tapes are good. I got one and one part specifically said to use your attention and intention to affect the blood flow of your body. Concentrate in your extremities and if you feel your fingers and toes get warmer, you're doing it right. In the CD I have he specifically says that process is to relieve migraines.

I used to get migraines a lot as a kid and thank God I grew out of them. I understand your pain and I hope you find a solution soon.

Redd

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:06 pm

This may sound like voodoo or magic but I'd never believed in alternative medicine until about a month ago when it helped me clear my sinuses and I could breathe normally for the first time in years. One of my clients is a psychiatrist but she'd also spent 12 years studying acupuncture and traditional Japanese medicine in Japan. At the end of our last meeting she offered to do something called Moxa or moxibustion. In short, she burned some herbs on the top of my forehead for about 5 minutes. Kind of like putting a cigarette to the skin and pulling away.

I wouldn't have let anyone convince me to do something like that but this is my client and she's an actual doctor and very well known in her field. I don't know if this procedure works for migraines but I'll ask her after the new years and get back to you. I had tried every type of medication for my sinus before and was planning on going for surgery in 2019, now I can breathe 100% normally through my nose all the time. I'm still shocked that something like that can work over modern medicine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxibustion

NIKV69

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:28 pm

My mother suffered the same thing most of her younger life but not so much now. I will ask her next time I speak to her.

bombayduck

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:14 pm

This may seem like a daft question, do you get the migraines after eating certain foods. My mother used to get them from eating plain chocolate so, she has cut out plain chocolate no more migraines.

Jouhou

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:42 pm

My mom got a medical marijuana prescription for that. It helps her tolerate migraines better than pharmaceutical meds ever did. But everyone is different too. When I have debilitating pain the last thing I want to do is get high.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:39 am

Just spoke to her Justin. She said they ended when she reached her early 50s She also said acupuncture was the only thing she used that worked before they stopped on their own. Also there is some new drug that makes them subside immediately but can not be taken if you have high blood pressure.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:50 am

Redd wrote:
This may sound like voodoo or magic but I'd never believed in alternative medicine until about a month ago when it helped me clear my sinuses and I could breathe normally for the first time in years. One of my clients is a psychiatrist but she'd also spent 12 years studying acupuncture and traditional Japanese medicine in Japan. At the end of our last meeting she offered to do something called Moxa or moxibustion. In short, she burned some herbs on the top of my forehead for about 5 minutes. Kind of like putting a cigarette to the skin and pulling away.

I wouldn't have let anyone convince me to do something like that but this is my client and she's an actual doctor and very well known in her field. I don't know if this procedure works for migraines but I'll ask her after the new years and get back to you. I had tried every type of medication for my sinus before and was planning on going for surgery in 2019, now I can breathe 100% normally through my nose all the time. I'm still shocked that something like that can work over modern medicine.

This is interesting- I suffer sinus problems a lot. Even though as some of you know I’m quite fit, they make things miserable, especially with the splitting headaches that sometimes go with it. I’ve so far tried sleeping fairly elevated/upright, that helps a bit. Stuffy high temperatures overnight also make things worse.

I’ll look into that.

Flighty

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:20 am

CJ, my family gets them, particularly a grandfather who was debilitated by them. So he set up a work situation that tolerated the issue. They subsided as he got past 40-50.

I’ll say this, a couple of my friends had chronic pain issues (healthy young men like yourself) and they got deep into drugs because of it. One survived, the other OD’d and died like 12 years ago.

WarRI1

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:21 am

I have had no personal experience with them, but I can tell you of a friend of mine who suffered debilitating migraine headaches for years. He was diagnosed with a heart blockage, they inserted a single stent about 15 years ago when he was about 60 years old. I periodically ask him about them, he has not had a headache in 15 years. True story. He used to go up in his attic to isolate himself from noises. Good luck.

Georgetown

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:12 am

I get them periodically. I get visual aura (like a weird blind spot, and sometimes aphasia (I know what I want to say but the words come out gibberish). Then the nausea, then the headache. Completely debilitating. Talk to your doctor. Triptans don’t work for me but do work for some. Intravenous DHE has worked for me in the past but requires a hospital visit. There is a drug in the final phase of clinical development called eptinezumab, which is a monoclonal antibody that inhibits CGRP, which plays an important role in migraine pathophysiology. In short, it might be able to prevent migraines. Talk you your doc about traditional therapeutic options. On the alternative medicine front, I’ve actually found that acupuncture has ostensibly been able to lengthen times between migraines, but I can’t conclusively draw a direct line. Weed doesn’t do anything for me.

BartSimpson

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 am

Another wild shot - but you might check it. My brother suffers from extreme headaches almost every three years - he can predict it to a week or so. His medication is pure oxygen inhaled over fifteen minutes over the course of a few days.

Jouhou

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:05 am

Since no one else has mentioned it yet, also look for chemical "triggers" you may be consuming. Things that may disrupt the body's ability to balance vasodilation and vasoconstriction such as chemicals that directly impact this (caffeine, theobromine (chocolate)) or anything that indirectly affects it by manipulating other hormones in your body. The vascular system is controlled both by the nervous system and hormones, and migraines seem to be most commonly caused by vascular dysfunction. The easiest to identify culprits are CNS stimulants like the ones I just listed, since they directly act as vasoconstrictors by creating over stimulation of vascular smooth muscle (basically your nerves get over-active and misfire). So start by removing things from your diet that affect your CNS system and see if the migraines go away (I should mention alcohol too, it's a CNS depressant rather than stimulant)

DocLightning

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm

My usual treatment algorithm for chronic migraines is:
1) Amitriptyline up to 25mg per night. If no effect, then
2) Propranolol twice daily up to 160mg/day, if no effect then
3) Topirimate taper until effective, if no effect or not tolerated then
4) Cyproheptadine nightly, if no effect then
5) Neurology referral

I get migraines under control in >95% of my patients.

DaveFly

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:30 pm

I used to get incredibly debilitating migraines. They were so bad that I’d hallucinate, and they’d take 48 hours to recover from. Absolutely nothing helped, so I’d O.D. on painkillers to knock myself out, and sleep with an ice pack on my head.
Then I began taking beta blockers for an unrelated cardiac arrhythmia issue. Since being on Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol), I haven’t had A SINGLE MIGRAINE SINCE! Sorry for the CAPS, but anyone who suffers from migraine will understand what that means — you can actually have a life without worrying about being knocked to the ground with a sledgehammer to your head. My doctor said there are no bad side effects to this beta blocker, other than fatigue at the outset. And you have to be careful not to exceed your dose because your blood pressure could drop too low.
If I get an occasional headache now, I take an aspirin. Anyone who has migraines knows that an aspirin would help as much as a breath mint!
Ask your doctor — the beta blocker has been a life-changer for me.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Redd wrote:

My cousin tried this as well and loved it. I’ve heard very good things about it and apparently it isn’t too expensive. I’ll have to check into this.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:56 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Have you tried different medications? I was medicated for something else but the first one I was taking didnt work so they switched the medicine and it was night and day.

Deepak Chropra meditation tapes are good. I got one and one part specifically said to use your attention and intention to affect the blood flow of your body. Concentrate in your extremities and if you feel your fingers and toes get warmer, you're doing it right. In the CD I have he specifically says that process is to relieve migraines.

I used to get migraines a lot as a kid and thank God I grew out of them. I understand your pain and I hope you find a solution soon.

Thanks TWA.

Everyone has told me they grew out of their as well or they suddenly just stopped once they reached a certain age. Hopefully that will be me sooner than later. I have tried several medications — the latest being Imitrex

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:00 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Just spoke to her Justin. She said they ended when she reached her early 50s She also said acupuncture was the only thing she used that worked before they stopped on their own. Also there is some new drug that makes them subside immediately but can not be taken if you have high blood pressure.

Thanks NIK, that was nice of you.

The majority of people are saying they eventually go away and acupuncture seems effective. I’m going to check into that. I just can’t keep going on like this.

Thanks again.
Last edited by CitizenJustin on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:02 pm

DocLightning wrote:
5) Neurology referral

Well, I may need to visit you then. My doctor put me on Imitrex and the results are very inconsistent. Nothing I can count on for sure.

Thanks Doc

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:06 pm

bombayduck wrote:
This may seem like a daft question, do you get the migraines after eating certain foods. My mother used to get them from eating plain chocolate so, she has cut out plain chocolate no more migraines.

Not that I can tell. When I get a migraine, I go over everything I’ve come into contact with, including food and even shampoo/face wash/fragrance etc., but none seem to the the cause.

Thanks Bombay

DocLightning

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:21 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

Well, I may need to visit you then. My doctor put me on Imitrex and the results are very inconsistent. Nothing I can count on for sure.

Thanks Doc

At least in pediatrics (and as far as I know in adults) we would use an abortive therapy like a triptan ("IMITREX" or similar) for patients who are having two migraines per week or less on average. In your case, I believe you report that you are having them daily or almost daily (is that correct?). So while it's appropriate to prescribe a triptan, you should also be on a daily prophylactic therapy to prevent them.

Jouhou

Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:45 pm

DocLightning wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Thanks Doc

At least in pediatrics (and as far as I know in adults) we would use an abortive therapy like a triptan ("IMITREX" or similar) for patients who are having two migraines per week or less on average. In your case, I believe you report that you are having them daily or almost daily (is that correct?). So while it's appropriate to prescribe a triptan, you should also be on a daily prophylactic therapy to prevent them.

My mom found Imitrex to be as disabling as the migraines their selves, and not all that effective. Her medical marijuana prescription has proven far more effective in comparison. AKA being high out of your mind is less impairing than Imitrex.

DocLightning

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 am

Jouhou wrote:
My mom found Imitrex to be as disabling as the migraines their selves, and not all that effective. Her medical marijuana prescription has proven far more effective in comparison. AKA being high out of your mind is less impairing than Imitrex.

One thing that I have learned in my career is that you can't generalize one person's experience with a medication to all people. Cannabis itself can also be disabling. I get the very occasional migraine and I found that when I tried cannabis for it, it made it worse. Never again!

Other abortive options include indomethacin (available as a suppository for those who can't take pills), caffeine/NSAID combinations, and certain antihistamines.

Jouhou

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:32 am

I guess I should also mention that I used to have severe migraine-like headaches that I can't formally call migraines because I never got them formally diagnosed as such. Those 100% went away along with 90% of my more minor headaches and 90% of my Raynaud's episodes when I started taking the depo shot as a treatment for my Von Willebrands disease (to reduce blood loss). That leads me to believe my own hormones were responsible for a host of vascular issues.

I didn't mention this before because because "Justin" seems to be male and probably isn't suffering from Estrogen related issues but anyone sharing stories of females suddenly getting or losing chronic migraines at ages known for hormonal shifts, hormones were probably the culprit.

Redd

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:35 am

cpd wrote:
Redd wrote:

This is interesting- I suffer sinus problems a lot. Even though as some of you know I’m quite fit, they make things miserable, especially with the splitting headaches that sometimes go with it. I’ve so far tried sleeping fairly elevated/upright, that helps a bit. Stuffy high temperatures overnight also make things worse.

I’ll look into that.

I feel you, I'm also a cyclist, runner and a calisthenics freak, sinus problems make everything harder and less pleasant. I also have/had this problem at night which seems to be gone after moxa. Give it a try, it really worked for me.

PIMountaineer

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:40 pm

I've been visiting this site for well over a decade it seems, and this thread is the one that finally inspired me to make my first post. To the thread starter, you have my deepest sympathies. I sincerely feel for you, as I know how you feel.

I am in my late forties and have suffered from migraines my entire life. Doctors say they are a result of head trauma I received when I was 18 months old. They can be and are often debilitating.

Doctors have me on for lack of a better term, a cocktail of different drugs. I find this along with a strict diet tends to help a great deal. There are trigger foods; I've learned that throughout the years.

One thing that has always annoyed me is something that you touched on a bit. "I just work through a migraine when I have one. I don't see the big deal; it's just a headache." Well, clearly they've never suffered from what call a doozy, or they wouldn't say something so utterly ignorant.

Once again, I just want to offer you my sympathies. I feel your pain. Take care, sir.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 pm

DocLightning wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Thanks Doc

Not daily, but weekly for sure. I’ll have a few good days, but that’s about it until I begin to feel another one coming on. Sometimes they’ll resolve after a few hours without becoming severe. That’s if I’m lucky.

casinterest

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:11 pm

DocLightning wrote:
5) Neurology referral

Doc,
Any benefit in more hydration for migraines? I had a friend who suffered severe headaches, possibly migraines, who the doctor found out was not drinking enough water( or taking too many diuretics) . Once they started drinking more water, they were better.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:12 pm

PIMountaineer wrote:
I've been visiting this site for well over a decade it seems, and this thread is the one that finally inspired me to make my first post. To the thread starter, you have my deepest sympathies. I sincerely feel for you, as I know how you feel.

I am in my late forties and have suffered from migraines my entire life. Doctors say they are a result of head trauma I received when I was 18 months old. They can be and are often debilitating.

Doctors have me on for lack of a better term, a cocktail of different drugs. I find this along with a strict diet tends to help a great deal. There are trigger foods; I've learned that throughout the years.

One thing that has always annoyed me is something that you touched on a bit. "I just work through a migraine when I have one. I don't see the big deal; it's just a headache." Well, clearly they've never suffered from what call a doozy, or they wouldn't say something so utterly ignorant.

Once again, I just want to offer you my sympathies. I feel your pain. Take care, sir.

Thank you PI. It’s comforting to know that others understand what I’m going through. The world can feel pretty lonely when you’re stuck in bed with excruciating pain. The lack of understanding is one of the toughest aspects. Since my migraines have increased in frequency, my life has come to a standstill and friends have withdrawn. I believe they think I’m purposely exaggerating. The social toll is as emotionally taxing as the pain itself. It’s just a crappy situation. Thankfully, I’m a relatively positive person and I know that all things pass.

Thanks for posting and welcome :)

DocLightning

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:12 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Not daily, but weekly for sure. I’ll have a few good days, but that’s about it until I begin to feel another one coming on. Sometimes they’ll resolve after a few hours without becoming severe. That’s if I’m lucky.

Oh, if it's weekly and triptans aren't working at max doses, then try the indomethacin. It's old and cheap and safe for occasional use. It can cause some dizziness in some people but then again, so can migraines.

sonson

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Some medications can help if to use them in time.
But when I miss the beginning of migraine, nothing helps. The only way to get better is to try to sleep.
Cold room can minimize pain. You can also create one more painful point on your body. I press on my eye with a sharp corner of my onyx pyramid, this pain is sharp and more intensive, so I pay more attention to this kind of pain.
And the better advice is to try not ro provoke migraines (but, yeah, it's impossible).