Cadet985
Topic Author

Sessions Out as AG

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:58 pm

luckyone

Re: Sessions Out as AG

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm curious where this will lead, specifically with regard to Muller...especially with the Democrats now holding a small majority in the House. The President would be a complete moron to fire him in the next two years, unless he has some other end game.

OA412

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:23 pm

I don't think anyone is shocked by this. I know there have been rumors that Lindsey Graham has lobbied for the AG role if/when Sessions leaves. What that means for the Mueller investigation is anyone's guess.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Tugger

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 pm

I think the President requested the resignation awhile ago, it is undated, and had just to decide when he wanted to "accept/present it".

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

trpmb6

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:58 pm

OA412 wrote:
I don't think anyone is shocked by this. I know there have been rumors that Lindsey Graham has lobbied for the AG role if/when Sessions leaves. What that means for the Mueller investigation is anyone's guess.

Graham has categorically denied wanting the job. But ya never know I guess.

Not sure who will fill the role to be honest. Not really anyone left on the bench to fill that kind of role. Maybe Ted Cruz. Boy would that be funny. Watch the Dems go spend another 30 million on a special election in Texas just for that haha.

Dieuwer

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Sessions probably feels relieved. Finally no longer being screamed at via Twitter or directly in his face.

apodino

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:04 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Not sure who will fill the role to be honest. Not really anyone left on the bench to fill that kind of role. Maybe Ted Cruz. Boy would that be funny. Watch the Dems go spend another 30 million on a special election in Texas just for that haha.

Giuliani would be a name at the top of the list certainly. Also Chris Christie could be considered as a former US Attorney. Not really sure which way he will go on this.

The guy I would like to see is Trey Gowdy. Now that he has retired from congress, the role of Attorney General fits him well as a talented prosecutor. I doubt he would be chosen though.

trpmb6

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 pm

apodino wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Giuliani would be a name at the top of the list certainly. Also Chris Christie could be considered as a former US Attorney. Not really sure which way he will go on this.

The guy I would like to see is Trey Gowdy. Now that he has retired from congress, the role of Attorney General fits him well as a talented prosecutor. I doubt he would be chosen though.

I had thrown out Giuliani due to conflicts of interest. Trump wanted Sessions out because of recusing himself. Rudy would have a bigger conflict than sessions.

Christie hates Trump's guts. Won't happen.

Trey Gowdy, while on the top of my list personally, has publicly said he wouldn't do it in the past and wants out of Washington. But if he would reconsider he'd be my top pick.

Local media here in Kansas are saying that now that Kobach doesn't have a governor seat he could be a shoe in for the appointment. I'm laughing about it right now. literally. because if that happens the Dems may start thinking that they should have just let him have Kansas lol.

DocLightning

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

One thing I've learned about Mr. Graham is that the last person who will be honest about what Mr. Graham is thinking or intends to do is...Mr. Graham.

Mr. Trump had initially obtained an ethics waiver for Solicitor General Noel Francisco to oversee the investigation, which is pretty remarkable given that Mr. Francisco works for the firm that is defending Mr. Trump in that same investigation. The White House had not published this waiver, but an ethics oversight/watchdog group got ahold of it somehow and it is breathtaking what Mr. Trump was trying to do.

Now, if he wants to weasel out of the investigation, it will have to be done very publicly and very loudly so that everyone can see how corrupt he is because rest assured that House Democrats are not going to let this drop.

As for Mr. Sessions, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

einsteinboricua

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 pm

The keys (people) to obtain power are not the same as the keys to keep power.

I wonder if Sessions regrets his support of Trump in the first place.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

LMP737

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:36 pm

OA412 wrote:

Since Lindsey Graham is Trump's lap dog he might be the next AG, lol. Seriously though if I were Sessions I would have made him fire me so he would have to deal with the political fallout.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Trey Gowdy, while on the top of my list personally, has publicly said he wouldn't do it in the past and wants out of Washington. But if he would reconsider he'd be my top pick.

He could reopen the Benghazi investigations. ;)

trpmb6

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 pm

LMP737 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

At this point what difference would it make :mrgreen:

OA412

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 pm

apodino wrote:
Also Chris Christie could be considered as a former US Attorney.

I'd rule Christie out. He sent Kushner's dad to prison, and it's been reported that while Trump wanted to name him as VP, Kushner nixed the idea. I think so long as Kushner is around, Christie doesn't stand a chance at receiving any sort of plum position in this Administration.
DocLightning wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

One thing I've learned about Mr. Graham is that the last person who will be honest about what Mr. Graham is thinking or intends to do is...Mr. Graham.

Indeed. I'm not surprised he denied wanting the job, but I'd be pretty surprised if he's not already lobbying hard for it.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

LMP737

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
At this point what difference would it make :mrgreen:

Once a partisan hack always a partisan hack. ;)

sw733

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 pm

The only Confederate monument that Trump was willing to take down...

I'm in the "Kobach for AG" camp myself (not that I support it, but I think it will happen). I live in Kansas and was wondering why things went so smoothly last night and he conceded so easily, against all of his past BS tactics. I couldn't figure out how it was so easy - no irregularities, no delay, nothing. Then, about 3:00am, I woke up and it hit me...he wanted to lose, because he has a better job offer.
Last edited by sw733 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sw733

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:15 pm

LMP737 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Ah yes, those poor lost American lives that no Republican has cared about since November 9, 2016

Dutchy

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 pm

No surprise and quite dangerous. Can't believe anyone with a sane mind would defend such a clear attack on the rule of law of a country. Quite dangerous to have someone at the helm whom would go to such measure to have a criminal investigation into his behavior squashed.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

trpmb6

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:51 pm

sw733 wrote:
The only Confederate monument that Trump was willing to take down...

I'm in the "Kobach for AG" camp myself (not that I support it, but I think it will happen). I live in Kansas and was wondering why things went so smoothly last night and he conceded so easily, against all of his past BS tactics. I couldn't figure out how it was so easy - no irregularities, no delay, nothing. Then, about 3:00am, I woke up and it hit me...he wanted to lose, because he has a better job offer.

As someone who voted for Kobach, I can assure you, we pretty much knew he was going to lose. You know how Kansas flows back and forth. Then throw in Orman, and the GOP establishment in the state not endorsing Kobach after defeating Colyer narrowly. It was pretty clear to me that Kobach would lose. As far as I'm concerned, Kelly and Colyer were going to basically be the same result in the end. So why not have a go at the long shot with Kobach.

Kelly will be fine as governor as far as I'm concerned. I wish I could get Brownback's tax cuts back.. I benefited from them personally. But It's not *that* huge of a dent, so I'm not really all that bent up about it to be honest.

Pyrex

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 pm

If I recall correctly, not a single Democratic Senator voted for Sessions to become AG - not sure why they are so pissed now that he is finally out.

Just as long as the next AG is someone who is not willing to stonewall any attempts to investigate the FBI's malfeasance in 2016 and since, I am good.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:18 pm

The AG serves at the pleasure of the President. To make it otherwise is the attack on the rule of law.

GF

EA CO AS

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:41 pm

The President won't take any sitting Senator for the AG post, as he's likely very happy with the current majority the GOP enjoys in the Senate and isn't about to mess with that.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

MaverickM11

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:34 am

I like how the acting attorney general is a scam artist, just like daddy!

Trump's Acting Attorney General Was Part of Miami-Based Invention Scam Company
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/trum ... y-10893091

But don't worry, he has a "Christian worldview", which these days appears to mean "steal everything".
https://caffeinatedthoughts.com/2014/05 ... -whitaker/
E pur si muove -Galileo

alfa164

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Graham has categorically denied wanting the job.

That means he is desperately seeking that position...

;)

NIKV69

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:15 am

Sessions was only given a job to pay back the fact he was an early supporter of Trump. Trump also used Christie for the campaign and has no use for him anymore. My guess would be Trey Gowdy or Rudy.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

seb146

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 am

trpmb6 wrote:
I had thrown out Giuliani due to conflicts of interest. Trump wanted Sessions out because of recusing himself. Rudy would have a bigger conflict than sessions.

With this administration, "conflict of interest" does not matter. This administration has no morals. They don't care as long as they can profit and take what they want.

I wonder what this means for the marijuana industry? So many states where it is legal. And marriage for LGBTQ+?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

bennett123

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:23 am

The question is does the Mueller investigation is 'draining the swamp' or is that 'swamp' best left alone.

tommy1808

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am

bennett123 wrote:
The question is does the Mueller investigation is 'draining the swamp' or is that 'swamp' best left alone.

the way things currently look if you drained the swamp you need to build new prisons, lots of them.

On the plus side the republican party would get lots of new faces.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

jetwet1

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The AG serves at the pleasure of the President. To make it otherwise is the attack on the rule of law.

GF

Appointing someone, even as acting, who has never gone through a senate confirmation is also an attack on the rule of law.

trpmb6

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 pm

seb146 wrote:
I wonder what this means for the marijuana industry? So many states where it is legal. And marriage for LGBTQ+?

Strictly speaking, Marijuana position is still illegal per US law, so the AG has a duty to uphold that law.

This is honestly something that bothers me. We cannot selectively enforce laws where we see fit. In the end it only serves to delay legislative change. I guarantee there would be more pressure to change federal law if it was actually enforced. LGBTQ+ is settled as far as I'm concerned.

zakuivcustom

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

the way things currently look if you drained the swamp you need to build new prisons, lots of them.

On the plus side the republican party would get lots of new faces.

best regards
Thomas

Tons of Swampland in Florida, relatively close to Mar-a-Lago, that they can drain to build those prisons :duck: .

But knowing Drumpf, he'll build those prison with all these fancy gold lavatory fixtures, he'll feel better about himself getting to sit on one :duck: :duck:

P.S. Zero surprise that Sessions is out. I'm surprised he last this long and didn't just go "f**k it". Counting down to some "Inside the Swamp" book from Jeff Sessions, though :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

tommy1808

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
P.S. Zero surprise that Sessions is out. I'm surprised he last this long and didn't just go "f**k it". Counting down to some "Inside the Swamp" book from Jeff Sessions, though :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

while i can not say i had much agreement with Sessions, i do believe he honestly wanted to uphold due process and the rule of law. Maybe the only admin official that even knows the constitution, or at least the only one that cares.

Won´t be surprised to have a "Sessions granted Immunity in the Mueller probe" as a headline soon.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Tugger

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Strictly speaking, Marijuana position is still illegal per US law, so the AG has a duty to uphold that law.

This is honestly something that bothers me. We cannot selectively enforce laws where we see fit. In the end it only serves to delay legislative change. I guarantee there would be more pressure to change federal law if it was actually enforced.

While there is of course truth to what say, I will counter with the fact that we absolutely can and do selectively enforce laws. This has happened forever and is an normal and often (thought sometimes not) response to the changes in society. Laws stays on the books for decades past where they are enforced. Just google it.

In support of it I generally find that law enforcement uses this discretion effectively to balance the law against reality. Sometimes though it is applied so haphazardly or used as a tool to attack that it requires legislative action and change. So while I agree that "selective enforcement" can delay legislative action, I think it is often an important tool that law enforcement must have available. Otherwise you would be advocating for forcing every officer to act no matter what they found/thought of the situation once they interact with people. Police/law enforcement need to be able to apply professional judgment and discretion to effectively do their jobs.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

trpmb6

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Tugger wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

This is honestly something that bothers me. We cannot selectively enforce laws where we see fit. In the end it only serves to delay legislative change. I guarantee there would be more pressure to change federal law if it was actually enforced.

While there is of course truth to what say, I will counter with the fact that we absolutely can and do selectively enforce laws. This has happened forever and is an normal and often (thought sometimes not) response to the changes in society. Laws stays on the books for decades past where they are enforced. Just google it.

In support of it I generally find that law enforcement uses this discretion effectively to balance the law against reality. Sometimes though it is applied so haphazardly or used as a tool to attack that it requires legislative action and change. So while I agree that "selective enforcement" can delay legislative action, I think it is often an important tool that law enforcement must have available. Otherwise you would be advocating for forcing every officer to act no matter what they found/thought of the situation once they interact with people. Police/law enforcement need to be able to apply professional judgment and discretion to effectively do their jobs.

Tugg

You are of course right as usual Tugg. It just bothers me sometimes when we pick and choose what we like to enforce. What if there was a law that was passed by a previous president that the next one just says, yeah we're not going to follow that and selectively enforce it because of x y z.

While i don't really give a piddly squat about marijuana, to each their own, it is still on our books.

Anyways, don't really want to derail this thread too much, we can discuss decriminalizing marijuana in another thread if folks want.

I'm curious if the admin just screwed up when they said the current AG is "acting" and meant to say "interim." Strictly speaking, "Acting" has a different legal term than what most people generally associate "acting" in terms of managerial positions. The way I see it "acting" means temporary, but the statutes (which were brought about because of watergate) are pretty clear on this, Whitaker cannot be a permanent AG. And to be honest, I'm not really even sure if he can be "interim."

I still don't think Kobach will be AG. I'm pulling for Gowdy. But I doubt it happens.

seb146

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

This is honestly something that bothers me. We cannot selectively enforce laws where we see fit. In the end it only serves to delay legislative change. I guarantee there would be more pressure to change federal law if it was actually enforced. LGBTQ+ is settled as far as I'm concerned.

Sessions wanted to take away state's rights to sell marijuana. That was on his agenda. Maybe it did not happen because a majority of Americans want marijuana to be legal? Maybe because it is a boon for the states where it is legal, he backed off? Hopefully, with Democrats in charge of the House and working with moderates in the Senate, it can be legal.

There are challenges being mounted to marriage equality all over the Bible Belt.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ltbewr

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Sessions is a racist, RWNJ coward who while I am glad he is gone, I am afraid that Mueller will be somehow fired or lose his funding in the next few days or weeks to kill all the Federal investigations as to Trump, family and friends. I hope Mueller has indictments and other references to states if not already in place or better yet, announce them on Friday to beat the line.

trpmb6

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:14 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Sessions is a racist, RWNJ coward who while I am glad he is gone, I am afraid that Mueller will be somehow fired or lose his funding in the next few days or weeks to kill all the Federal investigations as to Trump, family and friends. I hope Mueller has indictments and other references to states if not already in place or better yet, announce them on Friday to beat the line.

And if Mueller has found nothing?

jetwet1

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:29 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Then the 32 people and 3 companies that have so far been found guilty or have been indicted are figments of our imagination, including the 4 Trump aides that have pleaded guilty.

What I am wondering is, does Trump think that by killing the Muller investigation this will go away ? Does he not understand that he day after the Democrats take over the house subpoenas will be landing on the desks of his kids and closest friends.

trpmb6

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:47 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Then the 32 people and 3 companies that have so far been found guilty or have been indicted are figments of our imagination, including the 4 Trump aides that have pleaded guilty.

What I am wondering is, does Trump think that by killing the Muller investigation this will go away ? Does he not understand that he day after the Democrats take over the house subpoenas will be landing on the desks of his kids and closest friends.

They aren't going to kill the investigation. I'll eat crow if they do.

trpmb6

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Twitter:

Elizabeth Warren 6/13/2017
"As our top law enforcement officer, the AG must be truthful and uphold the law. Sessions cannot continue to serve. He should resign."

Elizabeth Warren 11/7/2018
".@realDonaldTrump's firing of Jeff Sessions brings us one step closer to a constitutional crisis. Congress must act to ensure that Special Counsel Mueller can do his job without interference."

LittleFokker

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:36 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Twitter:

"As our top law enforcement officer, the AG must be truthful and uphold the law. Sessions cannot continue to serve. He should resign."

".@realDonaldTrump's firing of Jeff Sessions brings us one step closer to a constitutional crisis. Congress must act to ensure that Special Counsel Mueller can do his job without interference."

Those statements are not contradictory. Sessions was a piece of shit, but as we have learned with this administration, when someone leaves, they are replaced by someone worse. And this appointed interim leader appears to be worse, as expected.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Tugger

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Twitter:

Those statements are not contradictory. Sessions was a piece of shit, but as we have learned with this administration, when someone leaves, they are replaced by someone worse. And this appointed interim leader appears to be worse, as expected.

If I remember correctly most Republican's did not support Trump when he ran and spoke against him and in support of their preferred candidate during the campaign.

But hey, nobody is perfect.

Tugg

zakuivcustom

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:55 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/politics ... index.html

Well, early favorites are Chris Christie and Pam Bondi. My bet is on the latter. I mean, get to claim "diversity" (bringing in a woman), and she's already part of the Drumpf Swamp (i.e. more or less being the person responsible for clearing the whole Trump University fraud).

On the other hand, Chris Christie and Drumpf can have competition of "Who can eat more Big Macs" everyday :duck: (Ok, I'm stereotyping and offending fat people :ashamed: ).

johnboy

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Interesting take on Whitaker and the legality of his appointment.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... legal.html

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:27 am

I keep hearing about Lindsay Graham... Is AG for 2-6 years really a promotion over senator (most likely with a few more terms?)

I mean I guess Sessions took the plunge and paid for it... even more of an argument to stay a senator

zakuivcustom wrote:
Well, early favorites are Chris Christie and Pam Bondi. My bet is on the latter. I mean, get to claim "diversity" (bringing in a woman)

Why does it have to be "claiming diversity?" What if she's just the best fit? (In Trump's mind at least)

I'm not making an argument for diversity in Trump's team but I don't think any position given to a non-white male is automatically for political points

DIRECTFLT

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

But don't worry, he has a "Christian worldview", which these days appears to mean "steal everything".

Acting AG Whitaker Pretty Much Tells Dems To Shove It:

No Recusal From Overseeing Russia Probe

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa ... g-n2535587

I like the cut of his jib.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

WarRI1

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:47 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

More of the same, nothing new, and Mueller does not need him for anything at this stage of the game.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:49 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Judge Nap made a pretty clear argument today on Fox as to why there's nothing legal about skipping Senate confirmation to lead DOJ, acting or not.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Tugger

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:34 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

I didn't know you swung that way! :spin: :duck:
:cheeky:
Tugg

johnboy

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:40 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Um, sounds to me like his jib will be snipped real soon.

From the “article”:

“The moment the Democrats clinched the required 23 seats to retake the lower chamber; they were readying the various probes into this presidency—and the left wing harassment of this administration is about to begin.”

Hell yeah, I CAN. NOT. WAIT. :bouncy: