fr8mech
Topic Author

DNA Tested

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 am

So, with all the BS going on last month, I thought I'd give the DNA thing a shot. Ancestry.com had a $69 deal going on, so I went ahead and spit into the tube and sent it back to them. They said 6-8 weeks, but the results came back this morning.

No real surprises, based on the regions in Greece my parents came from.

Greece and the Balkans...44%
Italy...30%
Turkey and the Caucasus...21%
Middle East...4%
Baltic States...1%

I'd be interested in what my wife's make-up is, but she is resistant to doing it. Her dad is German/Irish, her Mom is Italian/Irish, though both sides of her family are 3 or more generations removed from their respective homelands.

Anyone else do the DNA thing?
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

einsteinboricua

Re: DNA Tested

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:46 am

I did.

Ancestry DNA has since refreshed the results and they came out as follows:
Portugal: 39%
Spain: 16%
Native American: 14%
Bantu: 9%
France: 4%
Italy: 4%
European Jewish: 3%

Everything else is about 1%. Main point: 55% Iberian Peninsula (White), 16% Native American, 9% African (Black), and the rest scattered throughout.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

fr8mech
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:07 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I did.

I'm surprised that they break that region out along political boundaries.

VapourTrails

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:28 am

I did mine back in 2016, but they’ve since refined my results, as they have a lot more samples now to compare to. Now 96% British Isles, with the main part which they called Genetic Communities in 2016, from the Limerick, Waterford, Dublin area (Southern Ireland). The rest was Scandinavia and Africa. How far do they trace it back? The site says that since AncestryDNA first launched, they've continued to add new regions and improve the precision of results. DNA research is a fast-paced, cutting-edge field, and you can expect us to make more advancements as DNA science evolves. Your DNA doesn’t change, but the science we use to analyze it does. Your results may change over time as the science improves. I did however get a different result with MyHeritage, not vastly of course, but the results were more spread into southern Europe, as was the initial result with the above aforementioned site.

WIederling

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 am

fr8mech wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
I did.

I'm surprised that they break that region out along political boundaries.

historic, geographic, cultural and language differences produced the political boundaries :-)
Murphy is an optimist

fr8mech
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:42 am

WIederling wrote:
historic, geographic, cultural and language differences produced the political boundaries :-)

My point exactly. DNA doesn't "know" political divisions. I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the matter, but I would have thought people who originate from that part of the world would be identified more as a region...Iberian, maybe.

WIederling

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:56 am

fr8mech wrote:
WIederling wrote:

My point exactly. DNA doesn't "know" political divisions. I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the matter, but I would have thought people who originate from that part of the world would be identified more as a region...Iberian, maybe.

it is genetic Portuguese resp. Spanish derivation.

Today's political boundaries reflect the longstanding genetic/cultural differentiation.
Most European boundaries are not synthetic like in the Americas, Africa and the Middle East.
Murphy is an optimist

VapourTrails

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:56 am

I like the history of the regions they provide on the site also. I am keen to see how the whole site evolves and what enhancements they come up with that are not part of an ongoing subscription - which is pricey. I had it for a time but let it lapse, reinstating it just once so far for a six month period.

I find it interesting with this whole DNA thing, that having got other family members to do it and compare, I think that even though I look like and am more like my paternal grandparents, the paternal side of Scottish and north-western Europe did not come up near as high as the Irish result, that is the maternal side. I think the MyHeritage goes more into the science and breakdowns of these type of things. Many more discoveries to be made in this field for sure.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 am

VapourTrails wrote:
I like the history of the regions they provide on the site also.

I'm just discovering that part of the website now. It's interesting to read. Of course, it begs more questions, so I go into that great fishing hole called Wikipedia to flesh things out a bit more.

Dutchy

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 am

I would be interested to know. As far as I know, my family from both sides are from the north of The Netherlands, many generations, they were (and some are) farmers. On the other hand, my appearance is somewhat Mediterranean. Some people did think that I came from Israel, Italy or Spain. :shock:

I hesitate to go to a company like MyHeritage. They sell your DNA (probably in anonymized data form, but still) to drug companies. So I do not trust companies like these.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

einsteinboricua

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:42 am

fr8mech wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Well, they mention current day boundaries. I'm pretty certain that if you have Greco-Italian DNA you're not exactly Roman, and saying you're Mediterranean is still too broad a definition. The old results placed emphasis on regions (so I was nearly 66% Iberian Peninsula), but that doesn't tell me much about where within the region my ancestors possibly came from. The new results narrow down based on present-day boundaries (so the fact that I have more Portuguese than Spaniard is surprising).

WIederling

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
The new results narrow down based on present-day boundaries (so the fact that I have more Portuguese than Spaniard is surprising).

Depends on genetic diffusion ( population mobility ) , doesn't it?

For some Swiss alpine valleys you can point to the exact valley some person was born into.
( assuming you have proper reference DNA. They also have ( used to have ) per valley dialects.)
Murphy is an optimist

einsteinboricua

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:11 pm

WIederling wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
The new results narrow down based on present-day boundaries (so the fact that I have more Portuguese than Spaniard is surprising).

Depends on genetic diffusion ( population mobility ) , doesn't it?

Well, let's not forget that Portugal and Spain were, for a while, united, so there's that possibility as well.

mmo

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Had mine done a couple of years ago, given to me as a gift by my wife. The results, not surprisingly, were 99% Irish 1% Iberian Region. Obviously, the Spanish Armada made landfall in Ireland!!
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

MassAppeal

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:05 pm

With the crimes I've committed through the years there's no way I'm giving my DNA to anyone without a warrant.

FatCat

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:42 pm

I did it and was something like 50% italian 30% german 20% belgian or something
so basically short, fair hair and with Bierbauch
May my post not hurt your feelings

propero

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Uh oh, fr8, 4% Middle Eastern? Sounds like you’ve literally got some “sleeper cells.”

SmithAir747

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:55 am

I have a rare craniofacial syndrome called Treacher Collins syndrome, caused (mainly) by mutations in the gene TCOF1, although two other genes (POLR1C and -D) are also implicated in causing some forms of TCS. I would like to be sequenced and tested for the particular mutation in my case.

I'm also first generation Irish-American, so would like to trace my genetic lineage.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Aesma

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:45 am

The Iberian peninsula was conquered by "Moors" and stayed under their control for centuries so everyone that can be linked to that region probably has some Middle Eastern/North African DNA. I guess they take that into account when saying you are X% Spanish.

MassAppeal wrote:
With the crimes I've committed through the years there's no way I'm giving my DNA to anyone without a warrant.

If someone in your extended family does it you might be screwed anyway.

Personally I'll wait for cheap home DNA sequencers so my data can stay private.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

propero

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:51 am

Well I know if I got my DNA tested it’d be 100% American.

TSS

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:12 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
I have a rare craniofacial syndrome called Treacher Collins syndrome, caused (mainly) by mutations in the gene TCOF1, although two other genes (POLR1C and -D) are also implicated in causing some forms of TCS. I would like to be sequenced and tested for the particular mutation in my case.

With all the time you've spent in and around hospitals on both sides of the exam table, I'm genuinely surprised you haven't yet.

SmithAir747 wrote:
I'm also first generation Irish-American, so would like to trace my genetic lineage.

I'd imagine Ireland to be a place where you might be able to trace it back to a specific village or small region.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DeltaMD90

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:51 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
European Jewish: 3%

Yay, expanding our numbers! (My sister did a test recently and found out we are like 5% Ashkenazi Jewish)

The rest of the test was unsurprising, 95ish% Eastern European or Slavic, can't remember the exact term. I'm just surprised it wasn't 100%

fr8mech
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:18 pm

propero wrote:
Uh oh, fr8, 4% Middle Eastern? Sounds like you’ve literally got some “sleeper cells.”

Not really unexpected...actually, I thought the percentage would be higher, but the Turk part may account for some of my expectation.

SmithAir747

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Aesma wrote:

The Brits have come up with a portable DNA sequencer, the size of a USB hard drive or mobile phone, that can be used at doctors' surgeries, clinics, and at home. It's called the MinION, by Oxford Nanopore Technologies.

https://nanoporetech.com/

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:55 pm

my family genealogy chart doesn't match my DNA testing. So all those years of research was kind of a waste.
55% UK, French, 20% 13% Italian 7% German 3% Greece and very small amounts of other European countries.

The biggest shocker, is that i have Jewish grandmother with no Jewish DNA and my dad was not adopted.
i guess it's good they are dead and none the wiser that apparently there was a whole lot of cheating going on for this to happen.
kind of sad only because my grandmother felt persecuted for nothing.

Aesma

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:37 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

The Brits have come up with a portable DNA sequencer, the size of a USB hard drive or mobile phone, that can be used at doctors' surgeries, clinics, and at home. It's called the MinION, by Oxford Nanopore Technologies.

https://nanoporetech.com/

SmithAir747

Thanks, it's almost affordable, not much time to wait for me.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WIederling

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:14 am

FatCat wrote:
... with Bierbauch

That is more of an occupational risk than a genetic feature, isn't it?
Murphy is an optimist