CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Harvard Paper Suggests Oumuamua May Be Alien Probe

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:31 pm

“Interstellar object may have been alien probe, Harvard paper argues”

This is interested. I’m a big science geek, so I’m all over this one. Apparently, Oumuamua started accelerating to almost 200,000 mph when it left our solar system. Sciencstis have been scrambling to figure out why. The shape as well is a bit odd. I’m not holding my breath, but I love these types of discoveries because they open our minds and create a discussion about science.

If you’re interested, here’s a link to the story.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/health/o ... index.html

mbmbos

Re: Harvard Paper Suggests Oumuamua May Be Alien Probe

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:51 pm

This object is indeed unique and very interesting, especially since it may be the first interstellar object that has been identified. (Some astronomers suggest that Phoebe - one of Mars moons - may be an object that wandered into our solar system and got trapped by gravity). Anyway, it's a stretch to believe it was sent by intelligent life, but there's no reason we can't exercise our imaginations and wonder about it. Same with Tabby's Star. Lots of anomalous behavior and lots of creative theories about advanced alien life. Nothing wrong with it as long as it's tempered with rational thought and facts. Like you I love this stuff. We are in the salad days of astronomy.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Tugger

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:31 pm

And the cool thing is as soon as we invent warp drive and tractor beams and multi-phasic scanners and all that other cool stuff, we'll be able to go find Oumuamua and confirm if it is!
:spin:
Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

trpmb6

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Tugger wrote:
And the cool thing is as soon as we invent warp drive and tractor beams and multi-phasic scanners and all that other cool stuff, we'll be able to go find Oumuamua and confirm if it is!
Tugg

I suspect the first thing we will do when we attain such technology will be to go catch up to the voyagers.

WIederling

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Tugger wrote:
Tugg

There is a bit of "Rendezvous with RAMA" in there isn't it?
( The first book. not the later ones.)
Murphy is an optimist

LMP737

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 am

CitizenJustin wrote:

This is interested. I’m a big science geek, so I’m all over this one. Apparently, Oumuamua started accelerating to almost 200,000 mph when it left our solar system. Sciencstis have been scrambling to figure out why. The shape as well is a bit odd. I’m not holding my breath, but I love these types of discoveries because they open our minds and create a discussion about science.

200000 MPH might sound like a lot but in the context of interstellar travel it's a snails pace. For the sake of argument at that rate of speed if it is of alien origin the life forms that sent it might already be extinct. Interesting article none the less
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

seb146

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:34 am

I wonder if this has anything to do with the interstellar burst heard a while back?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Airstud

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:21 am

seb146 wrote:
interstellar burst heard

Gross.
Pancakes are delicious.

salttee

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:21 am

IMO
This was just Infotainment from CNN. A bunch of vague claims of what it "might" be.
All the graphics came from the art department. The background music in the video is the certain tip off that this was just hype.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am

LMP737 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

200000 MPH might sound like a lot but in the context of interstellar travel it's a snails pace. For the sake of argument at that rate of speed if it is of alien origin the life forms that sent it might already be extinct. Interesting article none the less

You’re absolutely right. What’s strange is that it’s going much faster than it should be according to calculations. Comets often speed up when they pass the sun due to erupting gasses, but now they’re saying this isn’t a comet because there’s is no coma which always occurs during a sun flyby. Some say it will have to be reclassified. 200,000mph is still quite fast for a relatively small rock.

Now we have to figure out Tabby’s Star and when James Webb comes alive we’ll be in business. Fun times, my friend.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:56 am

salttee wrote:
IMO
This was just Infotainment from CNN. A bunch of vague claims of what it "might" be.
All the graphics came from the art department. The background music in the video is the certain tip off that this was just hype.

Possibly, but a paper questioning the origins of Oumuamua was written and submitted by Harvard scientists. Is it most likely a rock? Yah. But it’s not behaving like the ones we’ve previously observed and calculations have concluded that it’s traveling much faster than it should and that’s why this is so interesting. Always something new to learn.

ChrisKen

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:07 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

The 'Harvard paper' did nothing of the sort.

CitizenJustin wrote:
Apparently, Oumuamua started accelerating to almost 200,000 mph when it left our solar system. Sciencstis have been scrambling to figure out why. The shape as well is a bit odd. I’m not holding my breath, but I love these types of discoveries because they open our minds and create a discussion about science.

The object HAS NOT left the 'solar system' (heliosphere), that will happen in approximately 20,000 years time. Nor did it accelerate to 200,00mph as it supposedly did so.

It's maximum speed was 87.71 km/s (just shy of 200,00mph) as it passed the ecliptic, consistent with the gravitational acceleration expected with it's pass of the Sun. It's currently slowing back towards the 26.33km/s orbital speed relative to the sun it had on initial approach.

A non-gravitational acceleration (make sure to use the correct definition of 'acceleration') was noted. An acceleration is the rate of change in velocity. It's consistent with solar pressure and/or off-gassing although they've not been able to determine which or why it's (off-gassing) hasn't been observed at closest approach when you'd expect it or since. This is the only oddity, although I suspect it'll eventually be put down to the difficulty of observing the object.

There's plenty to learn but other than having been given an 'errie' name and the associated 'ET' speculation that inevitably comes with most things these days, the object is behaving consistently with the known laws of physics and current understanding of interstellar transient objects. Estimates say several similar objects pass through the solar system within the orbit of the Earth each year. An estimated 10,000 pass within the orbit of Neptune on any given day so plenty of scope for further research.

CNN got their clicks with the bait, Harvard won't mind because press coverage equals funding. How many read the actual paper rather than the media coverage?

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:28 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
The object HAS NOT left the 'solar system' (heliosphere), that will happen in approximately 20,000 years time.

:checkmark:

ChrisKen wrote:
Nor did it accelerate to 200,000mph as it supposedly did so.

(added a zero, but) :checkmark:

ChrisKen wrote:
It's maximum speed was 87.71 km/s (just shy of 200,00mph) as it passed the ecliptic, consistent with the gravitational acceleration expected with it's pass of the Sun. It's currently slowing back towards the 26.33km/s orbital speed relative to the sun it had on initial approach. A non-gravitational acceleration (make sure to use the correct definition of 'acceleration') was noted.

:checkmark:

That CNN article is really misleading.

JPL article from June:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7173
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NoTime

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:26 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

The 'Harvard paper' did nothing of the sort.

Actually, the paper "COULD SOLAR RADIATION PRESSURE EXPLAIN ‘OUMUAMUA’S PECULIAR ACCELERATION?" released from the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics on 11/1, states:

If radiation pressure is the accelerating force, then ‘Oumuamua represents a new class of thin interstellar material, either produced naturally,through a yet unknown process in the ISM or in proto-planetary disks, or of an artificial origin. Considering an artificial origin, one possibility is that ‘Oumuamua is a lightsail, floating in interstellar space as a debris from an advanced technological equipment...

Alternatively, a more exotic scenario is that ‘Oumuamua may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization...

So, it kind of does.

You can read the whole thing at https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.11490.pdf

seb146

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Is this thing on a known orbit? Could we send our own probe to probe the probe?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

T18

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:02 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Tugg

I suspect the first thing we will do when we attain such technology will be to go catch up to the voyagers.

Well we don't need Voyager 6 coming back do we?
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Dieuwer

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Tugg

I suspect the first thing mankind will do when we attain such technology is to start WW-5 and annihilate 50% of humanity.

Alfons

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Well their program director for sure knew how to offer his astronauts the most boring discovery mission ever, looking at the trajectory, speed, apathic appearance. I guess all inhabitants died already since long from boredom.