DeltaMD90

Re: Republicans winning the midterms?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Waiting for a real wave in 2020 that will sweep the House back to the Rs. I can wait while the country's economy and job markets continue to improve due to great trade deals by The Donald.

Yeah, maybe. I think, honestly, either side could moderate and win pretty easily. Not to say both sides are equal, but let's be real, the base of either party does not resonate well with a majority (or plurality) of the country

I mean really, on one side you have Trump, which usually anyone but the most reddest of red will admit is off-putting, to a degree, and on the other is the side that LOST* to him...

*Yeah yeah electoral college not popular vote, but it still should've been a super easy win

Aaron747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:23 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
In other words, not a recipe you want repeated elsewhere. California is beyond helpless but that’s the beauty of federalism. We don’t have to care about California (and most of us don’t).

California has a population of 40 million - which means all he typical problems of a developed country and mature economy with four major metropolitan areas. Add the dichotomy between skilled professionals who are in demand and those who may not be competitive and that explains your middle class 'exodus' moreso than housing prices. Eyewitness testimony is unreliable, as are reasons given in surveys for leaving the state - who wants to say 'I was passed over for promotion twice because I didn't get a new engineering/programming language certification'??

In any case, this is typical nonsensical red state banter. CA's GDP has passed the UK's with a population 20 million fewer - this is a major economic success by any measure. If Sacto can get the school system fixed, things will really get on an uptick. Housing and road quality are a problem, but voters just expressed their opinions on those on this ballot. The only major thing unresolved is what to do about the state pension obligations weighing down 60% of the budget - expect that to be on the ballot very soon.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FreequentFlier

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 am

Aaron747 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
In other words, not a recipe you want repeated elsewhere. California is beyond helpless but that’s the beauty of federalism. We don’t have to care about California (and most of us don’t).

California has a population of 40 million - which means all he typical problems of a developed country and mature economy with four major metropolitan areas. Add the dichotomy between skilled professionals who are in demand and those who may not be competitive and that explains your middle class 'exodus' moreso than housing prices. Eyewitness testimony is unreliable, as are reasons given in surveys for leaving the state - who wants to say 'I was passed over for promotion twice because I didn't get a new engineering/programming language certification'??

In any case, this is typical nonsensical red state banter. CA's GDP has passed the UK's with a population 20 million fewer - this is a major economic success by any measure. If Sacto can get the school system fixed, things will really get on an uptick. Housing and road quality are a problem, but voters just expressed their opinions on those on this ballot. The only major thing unresolved is what to do about the state pension obligations weighing down 60% of the budget - expect that to be on the ballot very soon.

Lol, “and those who may not be competitive”. Party of the underdog!

Again, 46% of people in San Francisco want to leave San Francisco. You could try to deduce why that is or I suppose you could imply they’re all just a bunch of losers and everything is fine, nothing to see here.

I see you’ve decided to go with the latter.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:27 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

Again, 46% of people in San Francisco want to leave San Francisco. You could try to deduce why that is or I suppose you could imply they’re all just a bunch of losers and everything is fine, nothing to see here.

It's still a market economy, no? And your 'party' comment is presumptuous - I have been a registered independent since 2003.

Further I'm not even sure what you're on about as SF is ~850K people and that's only 12% of the population in the Bay Area, much less extrapolating to the entire state. SF has not been an appealing place to raise children since at least the early 1970s, as with any dense urban center, only the super wealthy who can wall themselves off from noise and other people can comfortably do family life there.

In any case you have nothing to say about the $2.75 trillion economic might of CA, so obviously that stands on its own.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FreequentFlier

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:53 am

Aaron747 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It's still a market economy, no? And your 'party' comment is presumptuous - I have been a registered independent since 2003.

Further I'm not even sure what you're on about as SF is ~850K people and that's only 12% of the population in the Bay Area, much less extrapolating to the entire state. SF has not been an appealing place to raise children since at least the early 1970s, as with any dense urban center, only the super wealthy who can wall themselves off from noise and other people can comfortably do family life there.

In any case you have nothing to say about the $2.75 trillion economic might of CA, so obviously that stands on its own.

You seem to be trying to impress by saying California’s GDP is large, therefore everything is fine. That’s like saying everyone in India is rich because it’s got a large economy. It’s not even an argument worth responding to.

The more relevant topic is why so many people in California want to leave. And it’s not just San Francisco, it’s all over the state.

“If California’s the future, why are so many leaving?”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.curbed ... tion-texas

Aaron747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:10 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

You seem to be trying to impress by saying California’s GDP is large, therefore everything is fine. That’s like saying everyone in India is rich because it’s got a large economy. It’s not even an argument worth responding to.

The more relevant topic is why so many people in California want to leave. And it’s not just San Francisco, it’s all over the state.

“If California’s the future, why are so many leaving?”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.curbed ... tion-texas

Reading comprehension seems to be a challenge here, as I stated plainly in my original post CA has all the problems seen nowadays in mature economies with similar populations - Australia, Germany etc are also grappling with high pension obligations, aging infrastructure and pockets of high housing costs.

But I don't need to impress - the fact only 40 million Californians are eclipsing the entire economy of the 66-million strong UK is amazing and testament to the economic engine CA has built.

People who have not been able to keep up are leaving, yes, but if I look at my circle where I grew up in Silicon Valley - very few have left. All of my first cousins but one remain - one is an account manager at Salesforce, another is a construction foreman, another an electrical engineer, and another is a food blogger and co-founder of a health food startup. My uncle has not relocated his SF architectural firm despite the high taxes there, and my good friend from high school is doing wine exporting.

Another cousin from the DC area originally graduated from Stanford, got her MD in Michigan, and relocated to SF with her MD fiancee who is from Montana. Those who are keeping up with the times and updating their skillsets usually don't need to relocate.

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:33 am

Aaron747 wrote:
The only major thing unresolved is what to do about the state pension obligations weighing down 60% of the budget - expect that to be on the ballot very soon.

That's pretty big though, no?

And aren't there other problems? CA has a ton of success that conservatives often don't give it credit for, but it is an extremely expensive state to live in (in many places where jobs are anyway), and taxes, while a necessary evil, seem to be pretty damn high

I see too often overspending overlooked. It is a big problem, and it's often brushed aside. And yes, I know the GOP is hardly fiscally responsible

Aaron747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
The only major thing unresolved is what to do about the state pension obligations weighing down 60% of the budget - expect that to be on the ballot very soon.

That's pretty big though, no?

And aren't there other problems? CA has a ton of success that conservatives often don't give it credit for, but it is an extremely expensive state to live in (in many places where jobs are anyway), and taxes, while a necessary evil, seem to be pretty damn high

It's huge. School district employees, public safety, etc - there are hundreds of thousands of retirees from these positions and they understandably expect benefits that were codified into law for them - albeit in different fiscal times, often pre-1980s. Some are willing to yield to help the state, others are not and want other things cut first. That's why it will eventually need to go on the ballot.

My grandmother retired 28 years ago as a school district translator and admimistrator and still gets 66% of her final salary, monthly, to this day - nearly $4.5K a month. Surely that is not sustainable over hundreds of thousands of people and even she says the benefits should probably be means-tested.

Longhornmaniac

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:56 am

This thread is a great reminder that there are bunch of really stupid people that vote.
Cheers,
Cameron

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:06 am

What I learned is to be thankful we live in a Federal system. Now, if the progressives would just be happy in places like California and stop being control freaks demanding everyone do what they want.

GF

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
This thread is a great reminder that there are bunch of really stupid people that vote.

Ha, I think no matter which side one is onz they'd agree with that.

It is mostly why I'm not concerned if Russia or whoever "interferes"* with our election by using bots or memes. If someone is dumb enough to vote based off a troll account, the problem isn't Russia but our education system, and I figure someone who is dumb enough to blindly follow Facebook memes is already dumb enough to vote one's side blindly anyway

*Ignoring if they are actually hacking voting machines or anything else more serious than troll accounts/posts

DocLightning

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:18 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Again, 46% of people in San Francisco want to leave San Francisco.

And yet the population keeps climbing and 46% of people aren't leaving. I'm not saying that life is hunky-dory. I miss my quirky, artsy city that one could get around relatively easily. I miss having a real gay community before it got shoved out by the tech boom. I miss being able to pop up to the mountains without getting in a traffic jam on the weekends. But these problems are fixable.

DeltaMD90 wrote:

It's expensive because you get what you pay for. I can go to the mountains or go kayaking in the ocean. I have access to a broad range of cultural activities, from the symphony to major DJs and artists coming through to a multitude of ethnic enclaves with their own cultural (and culinary) contributions. Not only that, but no ice scrapers for me, either. My commute to work is gorgeous. People travel from all over the world just to visit my city. So yeah, it's going to cost money. For what I make, I could live like in a mansion in, say, Reno, but every time I went outside... I'd be in Reno.

Aaron747 wrote:
Another cousin...originally graduated from Stanford, got her MD in Michigan,

That is a very strangely familiar set of credentials.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Yeah, maybe. I think, honestly, either side could moderate and win pretty easily.

Although I'm biased, I try to be as even-handed about these things as possible. One side is trying to maintain a Constitutional republic with norms and laws, with basic civil rights like the right to a trial by jury, separation of powers, equal protection under the law, and the right to vote.

One side has consorted with foreign powers to subvert the democratic process, has done its utmost to stop people from voting and to minimize the impact of those votes when they fail, has completely abdicated oversight and the system of checks and balances, and has, while in control of all three estates of government, managed to bring about multiple Constitutional crises in two short years. Oh, and they've run up the debt in a truly unprecedented manner.

One side is moderate. And that's why they won on Tuesday.

The initial design of the US Federal Government was meant to respect majority rule while protecting minority interests. However, the current status quo is that the interests of one minority are not only protected but permitted to rule over majority interests. All other minorities, joining into a majority, are completely subjugated. That's why that minority still runs most of the Federal Government. But that is not sustainable. Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. This is a perilous time in our nation's history, and I fear that we may rapidly be approaching the shelf life of this nation as one united country.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:31 am

One side has consorted with foreign powers to subvert the democratic process, has done its utmost to stop people from voting and to minimize the impact of those votes when they fail, has completely abdicated oversight and the system of checks and balances, and has, while in control of all three estates of government, managed to bring about multiple Constitutional crises in two short years. Oh, and they've run up the debt in a truly unprecedented manner.

Calm down, that’s all BS. Not even Mueller’s investigation has uncovered any collusion, but it has uncovered that Clinton campaign colluded with a British agent and an Australian ambassador to obtain opposition material. More voters voted Tuesday than ever before for a mid-term election, so much for that lie. Show us the “multiple Constitutional crises, please? And, a Democrat worried about the debt after the last Democratic President doubled it. Quaint.

GF

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:32 am

DocLightning wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

It's expensive because you get what you pay for. I can go to the mountains or go kayaking in the ocean. I have access to a broad range of cultural activities, from the symphony to major DJs and artists coming through to a multitude of ethnic enclaves with their own cultural (and culinary) contributions. Not only that, but no ice scrapers for me, either. My commute to work is gorgeous. People travel from all over the world just to visit my city. So yeah, it's going to cost money. For what I make, I could live like in a mansion in, say, Reno, but every time I went outside... I'd be in Reno.

Yeah but that surely can't be the reason it's SO expensive? I've got no hard facts on me, I'm sure I could easily Google them if I wasn't so lazy right nowz but I have a lot or anecdotes from military friends living in CA... It's SO EXPENSIVE.

Can't all be because of the pretty landscape. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on a much bigger house, easier commute, and trips to CA to do all that, and pocket the rest

DocLightning wrote:
One side is moderate. And that's why they won on Tuesday

*One side is closer to moderate. They aren't doing s great job IMO. A pretty bollocks job actually. Maybe I have the luxury of saying "if only" and "what if" but I think the Dems could easily spank the GOP in 2020 if they changed their strategy just a bit (well, if they made a simple strategy, I should say "change their strategy" because that implies they have one) but using the same logic, I could probably lead the GOP to an easy victory.

Imagine the power of a party of Kasichs and Jon Huntsmans.... Maybe still not good enough for you, my friend, but I imagine they'd win in landslide, relatively speaking

chepos

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:34 am

It seems us here in AZ are still in the midst of not knowing who Jeff Flakes replacement will be, the Dem is now ahead. Maricopa is the only county still supposedly counting which Sinema is winning. Surprising as AZ is as red as they come and Ducey (GOP) the governor won by over 300,000 votes
Fly the Flag!!!!

Aaron747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:07 am

DocLightning wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Right?? They met in med school in Ann Arbor and both got jobs at UCSF. He's a renal specialist and she's an OB-GYN.

DocLightning

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:10 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Right?? They met in med school in Ann Arbor and both got jobs at UCSF. He's a renal specialist and she's an OB-GYN.

My BS and MS are from Stanford and my MD is from UofM Ann Arbor.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aaron747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 am

chepos wrote:
It seems us here in AZ are still in the midst of not knowing who Jeff Flakes replacement will be, the Dem is now ahead. Maricopa is the only county still supposedly counting which Sinema is winning. Surprising as AZ is as red as they come and Ducey (GOP) the governor won by over 300,000 votes

That's just slightly myopic, no? 34% of AZ voters are independent, and it doesn't seem automatic that someone who chose Ducey can't also vote for Sinema, especially in metro PHX or TUS.

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:28 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
And, a Democrat worried about the debt after the last Democratic President doubled it. Quaint.

Even more quaint is the silence from conservatives after howling for years about out of control spending, yet deflecting when called out on their hypocrisy.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

chepos

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
chepos wrote:

That's just slightly myopic, no? 34% of AZ voters are independent, and it doesn't seem automatic that someone who chose Ducey can't also vote for Sinema, especially in metro PHX or TUS.

As a person who resides in AZ I can tell you this is a red state who has a large Trump fan base. Maricopa usually goes red, it is very suprising a Dem would win this county, apparently Sinema won Pima and Coconino (not surprising as Flagstaff and Tucson tend to be more liberal towns). McSally was a bad candidate, the debate was a shit show. All she could do is attack and praise the president, not what she stands for. Either way, hoping Sinema eels a win.
Fly the Flag!!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

I’m a conservative AND howling about out of control spending for years. My goal—USG spends about 12% of GDP by getting out of the transfer payments programs and ups spending on infrastructure, defense and basic R&D.

GF

cledaybuck

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

Yeah but that surely can't be the reason it's SO expensive? I've got no hard facts on me, I'm sure I could easily Google them if I wasn't so lazy right nowz but I have a lot or anecdotes from military friends living in CA... It's SO EXPENSIVE.

Can't all be because of the pretty landscape. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on a much bigger house, easier commute, and trips to CA to do all that, and pocket the rest

DocLightning wrote:
One side is moderate. And that's why they won on Tuesday

*One side is closer to moderate. They aren't doing s great job IMO. A pretty bollocks job actually. Maybe I have the luxury of saying "if only" and "what if" but I think the Dems could easily spank the GOP in 2020 if they changed their strategy just a bit (well, if they made a simple strategy, I should say "change their strategy" because that implies they have one) but using the same logic, I could probably lead the GOP to an easy victory.

Imagine the power of a party of Kasichs and Jon Huntsmans.... Maybe still not good enough for you, my friend, but I imagine they'd win in landslide, relatively speaking
California is expensive. It's because of the pretty landscape, but also the great weather, wealth of activities, and immense opportunities. In some industries (entertainment, tech), California is the place to be. You may prefer the bigger house and easier commute, but plenty of others feel differently (to be clear, I live in Ohio, so complete opposite end of the spectrum from California).

As for the moderate stuff, I don't buy that at all. Kasich couldn't even get a majority (not even close) of his own party's vote running against two nuts. Huntsman was never a factor. Hillary Clinton was more moderate the Donald Trump and Obama and lost. McCain and Rommney were moderates and lost to Obama.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:04 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:

One can dream. But too bad even being somewhat "sensible" Republicans nowaday is consider "RINO" or worse, somehow a Democrat.

cledaybuck wrote:
As for the moderate stuff, I don't buy that at all. Kasich couldn't even get a majority (not even close) of his own party's vote running against two nuts. Huntsman was never a factor. Hillary Clinton was more moderate the Donald Trump and Obama and lost. McCain and Rommney were moderates and lost to Obama.

Kasich split the votes early on with other "moderate" like Jeb "Please Clap" Bush and Marco "I need that sip of water" Rubio. They're simply too similar to stand out from each other and ultimately, doomed all 3 of them.

As for Hillary - one just have to realized that many people despite her, including many people on the left (aka Bernie Bros, the same people that are crying for Pelosi to get out right now, but never really did anything themselves). Her campaign is also, IMO, a disaster. As for Romney - he was portray as an "out of touch coastal elites", with that 47% comment that doomed him. McCain never really have a chance IMO - an economy down in the mud in 2008 along with an extremely unpopular outgoing president.

Lastly, keep in mind that Obama is not even that far left, even though Repukes keep insisting that he is.

P.S. McSally is a nutjob, or else Sinema wouldn't even have a chance.

alfa164

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:28 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Not even Mueller’s investigation has uncovered any collusion, but it has uncovered that Clinton campaign colluded with a British agent and an Australian ambassador to obtain opposition material. GF

You have no idea what Mueller's investigation has uncovered; it is clear that he made a decision not to announce anything before the mid-term election. You may get some clue as to what the Special Counsel has found soon, though...

Aaron747 wrote:
Austria has seven letters, Australia has nine. And I'm using a phone too - with Japanese on the virtual
keyboard. Sorry, what was your point again? :knockout:

Well... "Austria" and "Australia" might be hard to differentiate when someone is trying to type while peeking through a white hood and carrying a torch...

;)

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:52 pm

If the collusion were as obvious as so many believe, the report would already been announced long before the election resulting in everything the Dems want. Look, it’s been going for two years and nothing. I do not like Trump, too buffoonish, too New York City, too slick, too shambolic—all of which are on plain display. He and his gang barely ran a campaign, but they did and continue to have a strong political following. Trump voters voted for Clinton and Obama, but have become tired of being whipping boys of the liberal elite. Tired of being called “clingers”, “deplorables”, tired of being left behind by progressive politics. So, created by the Left, they voted against them.

GF

cledaybuck

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:54 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Kasich split the votes early on with other "moderate" like Jeb "Please Clap" Bush and Marco "I need that sip of water" Rubio. They're simply too similar to stand out from each other and ultimately, doomed all 3 of them.
Kasich got less than 14% of the vote. All republican candidates combined that were not Trump or Cruz got 30%.

P.S. Kasich is not a moderate. He just has morals and a brain and isn't a complete asshole, which makes him seem like a moderate in today's Republican party.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:35 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
P.S. Kasich is not a moderate. He just has morals and a brain and isn't a complete asshole, which makes him seem like a moderate in today's Republican party.

Hence the quotes around "moderate".

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If the collusion were as obvious as so many believe, the report would already been announced long before the election resulting in everything the Dems want. Look, it’s been going for two years and nothing. I do not like Trump, too buffoonish, too New York City, too slick, too shambolic—all of which are on plain display. He and his gang barely ran a campaign, but they did and continue to have a strong political following. Trump voters voted for Clinton and Obama, but have become tired of being whipping boys of the liberal elite. Tired of being called “clingers”, “deplorables”, tired of being left behind by progressive politics. So, created by the Left, they voted against them.

I wouldn't call multiple indictments and guilty pleas "nothing".

But yes, I personally believe that Mueller wouldn't find anything in collusion, but definitely something along the line of tax evasion, embezzlements, fraud.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:37 pm

chepos wrote:

Are they still counting/finding ballots in Deep Blue Broward County, FL ??

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Tugger

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:03 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

It's cute and all and true enough in many parts of the world, but of course that is why we in the USA have an open and accessible vote counting process.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

DIRECTFLT

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

It's cute and all and true enough in many parts of the world, but of course that is why we in the USA have an open and accessible vote counting process.

Tugg

Except perhaps in Broward County, FL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

A Broward County judge has ordered the immediate release of voter information sought by Florida Gov. Rick Scott from the county’s supervisor of elections

Circuit Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips set a 7 p.m. Friday deadline for Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes to turn over the voter information under Florida’s open records laws. Phillips found that Snipes violated that law by failing to turn over the information to attorneys for Scott’s Senate campaign and the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

Lawyers for Scott contended the information is already required to be collected under state law and should take minutes to provide. The information sought includes ballots not yet reviewed by the Canvassing Board, absentee ballots and early voting ballots.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Tugger

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:41 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

What on earth are talking about with "except"? The recount can and will be made public, there will be observers, and it will not be hidden as you seem to be implying it could be. I mean even if someone tried to do something nefarious, it would be caught and exposed.

Are you thinking there is a conspiracy? Conspiracy nuts keep pushing things like this but to suggest this won't be reviewed and public is ridiculous.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Aaron747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:51 pm

Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

What on earth are talking about with "except"? The recount can and will be made public, there will be observers, and it will not be hidden as you seem to be implying it could be. I mean even if someone tried to do something nefarious, it would be caught and exposed.

Are you thinking there is a conspiracy? Conspiracy nuts keep pushing things like this but to suggest this won't be reviewed and public is ridiculous.

Tugg

These people are bonkers - why would they care? It's almost like we don't have checks, balances, courts, state ethics commissions...ah wait, those are all tainted too, I forgot.

FreequentFlier

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:45 am

Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tugg

Lol. Tugg, for someone who clings so tightly to the independent label, you seem to echo liberal talking points All. The. Time. And in doing so, you’re often wrong.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamieNBC6/st ... 5093564417

“BREAKING: Judge finds Broward County violated constitution by not following open records laws, orders election officials to comply by 7pm. Ruling does not address allegations of fraud.
@nbc6”

Florida open records were being violated. There’s still been no tally of remaining ballots 3 days after the election, even though that’s required by law on the day of the election. There is no conspiracy. You were simply just wrong Tugg.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 am

Interesting outcome this election, only ONE state (Minnesota) has divided legislatures, the other 48 (Nebraska being unicameral) are all in, D or R. Three more states than in 2016 (37 v. 34) are now “trifecta” states where both houses in the legislatures AND the governor are from one party.

We continue to sort into a divided nation.

GF

DIRECTFLT

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:16 am

Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tugg

I admit, I don't share your reactionary posture. But the County Elections Office was not allowing things to be reviewed in a timely fashion, and that was the sticking point. Now, back to the real news:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge- ... -officials

In a parallel suit against Palm Beach County, Scott and the NRSC charge that the election supervisor there illegally used her own judgment to determine voter intent when reviewing damaged or incorrectly filled-out absentee ballots, while refusing to allow impartial witnesses to monitor the process. Scott's complaint against Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections Susan Bucher alleges first that officials there illegally refused to allow Republicans, or any witnesses, to monitor the county's handling of damaged absentee ballots.

"Even more alarmingly," Scott claims, Bucher "failed to allow the Palm Beach County Canvassing Board" to determine, as required by law, which damaged or improperly filled-out absentee ballots were valid and how the voters of those ballots had intended to vote. Instead, Scott and the NRSC argue, Bucher and her staff simply used their own judgment when determining voters' intent.

https://twitter.com/MarissaNBC6/status/ ... 1410067462

NBCUniversal, Scripps Media and Fox Television are suing Susan Bucher and the Palm Beach County Canvassing Board for refusing to allow us to record video while they review ballots in a public meeting.

WarRI1

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:23 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tugg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

A Broward County judge has ordered the immediate release of voter information sought by Florida Gov. Rick Scott from the county’s supervisor of elections

Circuit Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips set a 7 p.m. Friday deadline for Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes to turn over the voter information under Florida’s open records laws. Phillips found that Snipes violated that law by failing to turn over the information to attorneys for Scott’s Senate campaign and the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

Lawyers for Scott contended the information is already required to be collected under state law and should take minutes to provide. The information sought includes ballots not yet reviewed by the Canvassing Board, absentee ballots and early voting ballots.

By golly I saw them on TV, they sure had the Mob mentality, or was it a protest? Nah! I will go with the Republican version of all demonstrations by Democrats and call them a Mob.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

einsteinboricua

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:03 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Interesting outcome this election, only ONE state (Minnesota) has divided legislatures, the other 48 (Nebraska being unicameral) are all in, D or R. Three more states than in 2016 (37 v. 34) are now “trifecta” states where both houses in the legislatures AND the governor are from one party.

We continue to sort into a divided nation.

GF

I wonder if MN is the new MO: seems to be the only state that's still not completely polarized. To be fair, Democrats would have 4 more trifectas (MD, MA, VT, NH) were it not because the GOP ran moderate candidates in those states.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:37 pm

And Charlie Baker isn’t exactly a conservative Republican, but I like him a lot and it’d be good to see him nationally. He’s humble enough to say “I don’t know the answer to the question”.

GF

Tugger

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:47 pm

FreequentFlier wrote:
Lol.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I admit,

Sorry guys, I'm not talking about the vote or the initial count. I don't live there and for all I know the Broward county elections officials are for sale to whoever is the highest bidder. If there is malfeasance in the office it needs to be punished and flushed.

I am talking about the recount, which is what DIRECT's post appeared to be about. It appeared he was claiming the calls for a recount were in order to change the vote and lean it the other way and that would be fraud. But any recount as public as this will not be able to do that due to the publicity and the requirements for each side to have access etc. The review of votes will be exhaustive.

Tugg

Aesma

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:59 pm

About California, it's simple supply and demand. The supply can be limited by people not wanting more developpement, but without demand, if people were leaving en masse, there wouldn't be a problem.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

FreequentFlier

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Tugger wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
Lol.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I admit,

Sorry guys, I'm not talking about the vote or the initial count. I don't live there and for all I know the Broward county elections officials are for sale to whoever is the highest bidder. If there is malfeasance in the office it needs to be punished and flushed.

I am talking about the recount, which is what DIRECT's post appeared to be about. It appeared he was claiming the calls for a recount were in order to change the vote and lean it the other way and that would be fraud. But any recount as public as this will not be able to do that due to the publicity and the requirements for each side to have access etc. The review of votes will be exhaustive.

Tugg

What good is a recount if the original ballots were tampered with in order to get the “correct” result? You’ll just be recounting tampered ballots.

Reputable papers, including the Miami Herald have noticed that what’s going on in Broward County is incompetence of the highest magnitude at best and criminal at worst. We STILL don’t have an estimated count of remaining ballots, even though that’s required by law 30 minutes after polls close, with regular updates afterwards.

You simply weren’t aware of it, or rather, probably didn’t care, because you’re too busy echoing the latest Democrat party talking points. It’s so weird how that seem to happen so often for someone who claims to be an independent!

It’s perfectly ok to simply not comment if you’re not actually aware of the situation. It’s not ok to suggest everyone else is a conspiracy theorist if you don’t actually know the facts and have no idea what you’re talking about. You’re late to the party here Tugg, as usual.

Aesma

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Didn't "difficult to read" ballots help Bush win Florida in 2000 ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Super80Fan

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Snipes and Bill Nelson need to be locked up for life.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Aaron747

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:12 am

Super80Fan wrote:

Sure, let's get rid of evidence, courts, and jury trials while we're at it...

Tugger

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:28 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Tugger wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
Lol.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I admit,

Tugg

What good is a recount if the original ballots were tampered with in order to get the “correct” result? You’ll just be recounting tampered ballots.

Reputable papers, including the Miami Herald have noticed that what’s going on in Broward County is incompetence of the highest magnitude at best and criminal at worst. We STILL don’t have an estimated count of remaining ballots, even though that’s required by law 30 minutes after polls close, with regular updates afterwards.

You simply weren’t aware of it, or rather, probably didn’t care, because you’re too busy echoing the latest Democrat party talking points. It’s so weird how that seem to happen so often for someone who claims to be an independent!

It’s perfectly ok to simply not comment if you’re not actually aware of the situation. It’s not ok to suggest everyone else is a conspiracy theorist if you don’t actually know the facts and have no idea what you’re talking about. You’re late to the party here Tugg, as usual.

Not really, this whole site is about comments and people comment on everything, from what they know to what they don't know. And quite frankly you do that too. You do seem to be particularly fascinated with me though which is nice I guess. My goal is to get people looking from the "other side" or the other point of view, and as a Republican, talking with Republican's often enough, I want to be aware and try to understand what the other side sees. We will only succeed as a nation when work together and compromise (ohh there's a dirty word!) together.

As to not caring, can't say that I do in particular in this case (however I do care about what happened in my state when the Dems stole a vote by intentionally miswording a ballot measure to favor their preference) except that I do care that any vote is accurate and handled properly. Basically any locality has their voting process and those processes for the most part work and go unchallenged. For years and decades. Until something is found or noticed. Then their are recounts and investigations etc. The state not the feds get to step in and shut everything down before due diligence is done and when/if the public is intereseted and follows it closely then even more is known.

There is no "Stalin" deep state controlling the vote, there are thousands of districts and registrars, each independent, each potential weak points and even possibly corrupt. But the strength is in the independence of each and the freedom of the public to raise a stink, the freedom of the press (yes the press, that evil entity as it is now presented to be by some) and nowadays even social media, to air problems and brings a spotlight to problems when they are found.

And if problems are big enough and uncorrectable as you are implying then a new vote can and will be held to determine the true outcome. And the public will be watching and the scrutiny will be intense, and there won't be third world, or Stalin, or Putin style controls on the outcome.

So it's certainly never wrong to highlight errors in the vote and go after discrepancies or jail people who perform fraud.

Tugg

stratosphere

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:16 am

Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tugg

What the hell are YOU talking about? This woman Brenda Snipes has been flagged before for questionable behavior this isn't her first rodeo. At the VERY least she is a total incompetent and I hope when Desantis wins officially he kicks her sorry ass to the street.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:24 am

Super80Fan wrote:

I think a life sentence is just too harsh. But I would approve Snipes and Bell Nelson being locked away together, in the same cell, for 30 days. Heck, I'd even settle for them being locked in together for 30 hours. :bouncy:

Tugger

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:37 am

stratosphere wrote:
Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tugg

What the hell are YOU talking about? This woman Brenda Snipes has been flagged before for questionable behavior this isn't her first rodeo. At the VERY least she is a total incompetent and I hope when Desantis wins officially he kicks her sorry ass to the street.

Honestly I was speaking to his posting the picture of Stalin and the implication that we lived in such a state. That Snipes is potentially corrupt must be addressed and she must be held accountable. I cannot believe that it has been allowed to exist as it is. In every way it is wrong and a complete failure. I cannot speak to, nor understand, why, if it was known or suspected, it was allowed to be.

But was have strong processes here in the USA for the vote and for recounts and for validation. And it is done in a public manner that can be reviewed and has oversight. The recount and validation process is robust. And it must be used to protect the vote. Anyone who suggests that recounts are wrong or shouldn't be done. that initial counts should and must be accepted is, well, wrong. Recounts, even slow counts, done with public scrutiny, are the most important elements of our vote process.

We are strong only because we can see the vote.

Tugg

FreequentFlier

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:41 am

Tugger wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Not really, this whole site is about comments and people comment on everything, from what they know to what they don't know. And quite frankly you do that too. You do seem to be particularly fascinated with me though which is nice I guess. My goal is to get people looking from the "other side" or the other point of view, and as a Republican, talking with Republican's often enough, I want to be aware and try to understand what the other side sees. We will only succeed as a nation when work together and compromise (ohh there's a dirty word!) together.

As to not caring, can't say that I do in particular in this case (however I do care about what happened in my state when the Dems stole a vote by intentionally miswording a ballot measure to favor their preference) except that I do care that any vote is accurate and handled properly. Basically any locality has their voting process and those processes for the most part work and go unchallenged. For years and decades. Until something is found or noticed. Then their are recounts and investigations etc. The state not the feds get to step in and shut everything down before due diligence is done and when/if the public is intereseted and follows it closely then even more is known.

There is no "Stalin" deep state controlling the vote, there are thousands of districts and registrars, each independent, each potential weak points and even possibly corrupt. But the strength is in the independence of each and the freedom of the public to raise a stink, the freedom of the press (yes the press, that evil entity as it is now presented to be by some) and nowadays even social media, to air problems and brings a spotlight to problems when they are found.

And if problems are big enough and uncorrectable as you are implying then a new vote can and will be held to determine the true outcome. And the public will be watching and the scrutiny will be intense, and there won't be third world, or Stalin, or Putin style controls on the outcome.

So it's certainly never wrong to highlight errors in the vote and go after discrepancies or jail people who perform fraud.

Tugg

With the exception of those who simply defend the indefensible, the liberals on the forum don’t bother me. I know their own position like the back of my hand and I believe their positions to be sincere.

What I find incredibly grating is the phony above-it-all nature of some “independents” on the forum who (just super coincidentally I’m sure!), always seem to take the position of one particular side. So weird!

Look, if you don’t like Donald Trump or Ted Cruz or (insert politician X), I get it. If you think the consensus conservative position on guns is too NRA friendly, fine. But I do expect a “Republican” or an “independent” or whatever you claim to be on this particular month to care about tampered ballots and following the legal process for maintaining and reporting them.

You’re still talking about “deep state” nonsense when a judge has now intervened and demanded Broward County follow the Florida Constitution and established law regarding ballot collection. You’re now saying you don’t care about this. You also apparently don’t care about fraud because that is occurring too:

http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/politic ... ssion=true
“Broward elections office included 22 void ballots in its final total sent to state”

And that’s just the fraud that’s been publicly documented. We don’t know about other potential fraud because Broward County has banned the press from examining the ballot process.

So if you’re not interested in the subject matter Tugg, then that’s all right. Don’t comment. It’s not like you’ve been adding to the discussion or providing additional facts or insights here. Just spin, misdirection, false accusations of conspiracy, and touting how much better you are than everyone else here because you’re just so gosh darn reasonable.

And yet it’s you who is still going on about “deep state” conspiracies, while judges are slapping wrists and the Miami Herald are reporting actual facts. Tugg, maybe go be “above it all” elsewhere and don’t comment if you don’t actually care about what’s occurring in Florida.

You’re right, I do spend too much time on you. And that’s going to stop now.

Have a nice day,
FF

Aaron747

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:43 am

stratosphere wrote:
Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tugg

Scott is still raising hell but his own FL Dept of State just put out a statement that their monitoring staff 'have seen no evidence of criminal activity at this time', which mirrors Friday comments from the Dept of Law Enforcement that they have received no credible fraud allegations. Could it be that Scott is going off supporters' claims and TV claptrap over his own state officials?