Topic Author

POTUS cell phone harrasment

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Just got harassed by a "presidential" cell phone message. :mad:
How can I stop this abomination??!!

jetero

Re: POTUS cell phone harrasment

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Loud and annoying, just like the real thing.

trpmb6

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:43 pm

Lol I knew this would be posted.

Just wait til you get campaign messages :evil:

In all seriousness, it comes from FEMA so don't turn it off, might save your life, or someone else's, some day.

jetero

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:00 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Lol I knew this would be posted.

Just wait til you get campaign messages :evil:

In all seriousness, it comes from FEMA so don't turn it off, might save your life, or someone else's, some day.

I don't think you can opt out of these.

Moose135

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:02 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

You can't turn it off. Unlike other alerts, there is no opt-out choice on your phone.

casinterest

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Moose135 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

You can't turn it off. Unlike other alerts, there is no opt-out choice on your phone.

You can leave the US, and get a phone from another carrier there :)

trpmb6

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:12 pm

My mistake. I saw a wired article that's headline said "how to turn off the presidential alert" but I didn't actually read it as I was searching for something else: https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-turn ... lert-test/

Turns out that is complete click bait because you can't turn it off. (having now read the article they basically say you can put your phone in airplane mode during the test so you won't receive it.. dumb.)

Also worth noting this system has a history and the current iteration of it (The wireless emergency alerts system) was developed as a result of a 2016 law.

casinterest

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:21 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Also worth noting this system has a history and the current iteration of it (The wireless emergency alerts system) was developed as a result of a 2016 law.

Actually 2008 law

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/wi ... alerts-wea

Brick

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:23 pm

I knew this test message from FEMA was going to generate another anti-Trump thread on here.

If you really want someone to blame, blame Obama as he is the one that signed the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System Modernization Act of 2015 into law. Here is some bathroom reading about it: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... /1180/text
Last edited by Brick on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aviationaware

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:49 pm

Looks like the liberal loons shot themselves in the foot nicely with that one :lol:

jetero

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:51 pm

aviationaware wrote:
Looks like the liberal loons shot themselves in the foot nicely with that one :lol:

Um, yeah . . . :sarcastic:

T18

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:54 pm

So, I didn't get anything on my phone. Odd.

aviationaware

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 pm

T18 wrote:

It gets pushed over the individual towers so it can be regionalized for hurricanes etc. There is a certain window it takes to push it over all towers so you'll probably still get one.

Brick

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 pm

The law behind today's test requires FEMA to test the notification system at least every three years. So we'll get at least two more anti-Trump threads on here....one in 2021 and another in 2024.

trpmb6

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 pm

casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Actually 2008 law

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/wi ... alerts-wea

Actually even earlier.. but the most recent update to it was in 2015-2016.. as posted above..

As I said "current iteration"

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... -bill/1180

DIRECTFLT

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:17 pm

The Date Stamp on my phone was 1:18PM CDT.

A phone I have that's not tied to an active carrier account also got the alert. I use the phone to listen to music.

ER757

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 pm

aviationaware wrote:
T18 wrote:

It gets pushed over the individual towers so it can be regionalized for hurricanes etc. There is a certain window it takes to push it over all towers so you'll probably still get one.

That explains why I haven't seen it yet - thanks for the info

musman9853

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:52 am

Brick wrote:
The law behind today's test requires FEMA to test the notification system at least every three years. So we'll get at least two more anti-Trump threads on here....one in 2021 and another in 2024.

considering his cabinet wanted to invoke the 25th amendment on hime like 6 months into his presidency i dont think he's gonna make it that long lmao

seb146

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:05 am

This program was launched under Obama. I find it interesting that the "damn big gub'mint" crew are now "we need to take this alert system seriously!"

I get a regional alert system. I don't know why I would need to be alerted to an earthquake in Alaska if I am in Missouri. There really has not been a national crisis since 9/11, if memory serves.

aviationaware

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:19 am

seb146 wrote:
I don't know why I would need to be alerted to an earthquake in Alaska if I am in Missouri.

This is not what this system does.

WarRI1

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 am

I have no problem with it. Not like a telemarketer.

TWA772LR

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:12 am

WarRI1 wrote:
I have no problem with it. Not like a telemarketer.

I was beginning to think I was the only one.

In fact, before I read this thread I had already forgotten about it.

seb146

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:48 am

aviationaware wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I don't know why I would need to be alerted to an earthquake in Alaska if I am in Missouri.

I know... It is to remind us that Muslims or North Korea or Germany or Iran are going to bomb us at any second.

I am all for regional alerts about floods, Amber alerts, earthquakes, fires, etc. But this level of fear? Really?

santi319

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 am

seb146 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I know... It is to remind us that Muslims or North Korea or Germany or Iran are going to bomb us at any second.

I am all for regional alerts about floods, Amber alerts, earthquakes, fires, etc. But this level of fear? Really?

Did you miss the other entire Republican presidencies???? What else is new?

trpmb6

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:10 pm

seb146 wrote:
This program was launched under Obama. I find it interesting that the "damn big gub'mint" crew are now "we need to take this alert system seriously!"

National security is a function of the federal government.

I suppose anything is ripe for abuse in some form. But are you really more concerned about a text message that gets sent out with a warning, than say, the fact that there is a guy walking around with the nuclear football next to the president every day?

What if it's a CDC issue. FEMA is tasked with helping establish quarantines etc. 90% of responding to a crisis is preparation. As preposterous as it is, I'm sure they even have protocols for zombies.

seb146

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:24 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

National security is a function of the federal government.

I suppose anything is ripe for abuse in some form. But are you really more concerned about a text message that gets sent out with a warning, than say, the fact that there is a guy walking around with the nuclear football next to the president every day?

What if it's a CDC issue. FEMA is tasked with helping establish quarantines etc. 90% of responding to a crisis is preparation. As preposterous as it is, I'm sure they even have protocols for zombies.

As I have said, I am totally on board with a REGIONAL alert system. Ebola is not a concern in the United States, the flu is reported every day, salmonella and other food borne illnesses are too. It is great to be prepared for disaster. But, the whole country? I was in Seattle on 9/11. Many of us on the West Coast got on with living that day because it happened on the other side of the country. I do not mean to diminish what happened or show disrespect. Same thing with Northridge earthquake and the World Series earthquake. I was in the Pacific Northwest. We all sat for a minute and thought "oh, damn...." and moved on. Hurricanes, same thing.

Again, I mean no disrespect. These are horrible events. Individuals are effected differently. There may have seen more lives saved if there had been a warning system in place.

Maybe set it up for the whole country but break it into regions and sub-regions. Out of control government spending does not seem to be a problem, so there is no reason not to.

trpmb6

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:04 pm

They already have regional warning systems and I believe they can even break it down to specific cell towers, like with amber alerts for instance.

Anyways, I can think of maybe a handful of reasons why we might need something nationwide. This wasn't meant for regional stuff like an earth quake or a local measles outbreak. Think much more large scale. Like, asteroid heading towards earth nasa just detected, you have 10 minutes to seek cover, kind of event.

(Although do you really want to live in a world after such an event anyways? <shrug>)

Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:45 pm

For those that get lyrical about the Constitution: forcing people to receive government text messages (aka "speech") seems to me a violation of the 1st Amendment.

T18

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Never did get it guess my old ZTE Z222 is immune lol

trpmb6

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
For those that get lyrical about the Constitution: forcing people to receive government text messages (aka "speech") seems to me a violation of the 1st Amendment.

Negative, does not restrict your speech in anyway. Would be akin to saying the government could never utilize the airways or televisions to issue emergency broadcasts.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:58 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Negative, does not restrict your speech in anyway. Would be akin to saying the government could never utilize the airways or televisions to issue emergency broadcasts.

False equivalence. I can turn off radio and television. I cannot turn off these text messages.

According to a recently filed lawsuit:

...the alerts turn cell phones into “Government loudspeakers” that violate the substantive First Amendment right to be free of Government-compelled listening. The messages also allow the government to “trespass into and hijack” cellular devices without explicit consent, [...] violates the “Fourth Amendment right to privacy in their cellular devices.

ChrisKen

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:05 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
False equivalence. I can turn off radio and television. I cannot turn off these text messages.

You can, you'll usually find it under 'cell broadcast' or 'broadcast channels' in your SMS settings. just turn them all off.

MassAppeal

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:40 am

More outrage for the sake of outrage.

If you're so annoyed by this then you have a wonderfully peaceful life.

Pyrex

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 am

You can always choose not to use a cellphone, if you want. If you do use one, you are using airwaves that are owned by the government, just leased to cellphone carriers. Might as well complain against those signs on the side of the road...

einsteinboricua

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:26 am

As long as I don't get a notice about a missile crisis about to hit Hawaii while I'm in the East Coast, I'm fine.

I could see how this could be misused...especially by an administration that has yet to shown it can be trusted. I wouldn't be surprised if an emergency text was sent to a state with a close election, encouraging people to stay home because there's a threat at polling places. Unlikely to happen, but House of Cards has shown us what happens when one person thinks the government serves him and is at his disposal for whatever.

Airstud

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:03 am

Dieuwer wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Then EAS turns radios and television into "government loudspeakers" :sarcastic: and furthermore impinges on the free speech rights of whoever's radio/TV program those alerts interrupt.

We are actually extraordinarily lucky that our nation has such sophisticated communications apparatus, giving us immediate access to important weather & civil defense alerts; a lot of other countries aren't so lucky. Can it with the recreational outrage.

DL717

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:38 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
As long as I don't get a notice about a missile crisis about to hit Hawaii while I'm in the East Coast, I'm fine.

I could see how this could be misused...especially by an administration that has yet to shown it can be trusted. I wouldn't be surprised if an emergency text was sent to a state with a close election, encouraging people to stay home because there's a threat at polling places. Unlikely to happen, but House of Cards has shown us what happens when one person thinks the government serves him and is at his disposal for whatever.

Oh brother. :roll:

DL717

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:40 am

Pyrex wrote:
You can always choose not to use a cellphone, if you want. If you do use one, you are using airwaves that are owned by the government, just leased to cellphone carriers. Might as well complain against those signs on the side of the road...

Freakin’ signs. They’re everywhere!

I say the government should let the snowflakes opt out. They can fend for themselves. They’re going to do so anyway with disasterous results.

WarRI1

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:43 am

DL717 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

I say the government should let the snowflakes opt out. They can fend for themselves. They’re going to do so anyway with disasterous results.

A question, I notice I can never see when you are on a thread, is that the way Robots work, they come and go so fast that we never see the indicator. I can see myself and everybody else when they are replying. Very interesting!!!

DL717

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:45 am

WarRI1 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

A question, I notice I can never see when you are on a thread, is that the way Robots work, they come and go so fast that we never see the indicator. I can see myself and everybody else when they are replying. Very interesting!!!

It’s in your profile options. You should check it out. I don’t let you send me emails either. Sinister!

c933103

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I think it would be useful for scenarios like when 911 happens again or Pentagon being bombed

DDR

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:20 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

OMG. Did you just really use a tv show to make a point? ROFL.

DDR

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 pm

DL717 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Agree with you 100%. Sometimes I just smh.

Okie

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:03 am

So how many had to hide their phone so the guards would not hear the alert while in the gray bar motel? :?:

Okie

AA747123

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:39 am

Oh boy here we go again with the liberal media falsely attacking Trump. Its a FEMA alert not "presidential" as the media has made it out to be.

seb146

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:33 am

AA747123 wrote:
Oh boy here we go again with the liberal media falsely attacking Trump. Its a FEMA alert not "presidential" as the media has made it out to be.

Oh, that's right. I forgot that WE THE PEOPLE directly elect the head of FEMA and WE THE PEOPLE have direct power over what FEMA does.... smdh....

DIRECTFLT

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:52 am

Dieuwer wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

...the alerts turn cell phones into “Government loudspeakers” that violate the substantive First Amendment right to be free of Government-compelled listening. The messages also allow the government to “trespass into and hijack” cellular devices without explicit consent, [...] violates the “Fourth Amendment right to privacy in their cellular devices.

If there was a Civil Defense Emergency, the Govt. could legally drive down your street with loudspeakers blaring whatever message they deemed necessary. Good Luck tying to argue that violates your Constitutional guarantees.

aviationaware

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

Well that TV analogy ain't gonna happen with this administration, Underwood was a Democrat.

Jouhou

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 am

I'm not sure why anyone has their panties in a twist about this one. Yeah we might not trust the president, but this is one of the least worrying things he has access to.