Shiner Bock

casinterest

Re: The correct beer period is

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Beer given by a friend

BlueberryWheats

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:57 pm

The correct beer period is the modern day.

The Victorian period would probably have had poor sanitation and quality control.

jetwet1

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Boltmaker.....Formerly Best Bitter

Airstud

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:34 pm

Moosehead.

Also good are Steinlager and Foster's Bitter.

johns624

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:09 am

McEwen's Scottish Ale.

T18

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:10 am

I'm not sure you can name one beer the best as what maybe the best beer to have with a burger may not be the best to have with Brats. That and some days you desire something more bitter or more smooth. That said I tend to fall back to a nice Schlafly Pale Ale or IPA but there are absolutely occasions that neither of those is the best choice.

seb146

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 am

I found Molson's and Kokanee being sold by the half case in Central Oregon!!!! I love craft and locally sourced beers but this just sent me over the moon!! I really hope I get a few days off to go back :)

DL717

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:50 am

....of this backyard local brew bullshit. I’d rather drink a warm Keystone Light than that crap. And that’s saying a lot because it would amount to drinking piss.

B777LRF

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 am

The best beer are the original craft beers from Belgium, of that there can be no educated discussion. There are too many to mention, but a few favourites of mine are De Koninck, Triple d'Anvers and Chimay Triple.

None of them hold less than 7% alcohol, which is the hallmark of a really good beer.

WildcatYXU

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:28 pm

seb146 wrote:
I found Molson's and Kokanee being sold by the half case in Central Oregon!!!! I love craft and locally sourced beers but this just sent me over the moon!! I really hope I get a few days off to go back :)

Sorry, I don't understand that. Both are just boring mass produced adjunct lagers. And if the Kokanee is in bottles, it wasn't even brewed in the mountains.

fr8mech

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:37 pm

There are so many correct periods to drink beer, so I’ll just note some of incorrect periods to drink beer:

-4 hours prior to duty (damn you 14CFR120.37)
-while in a motor vehicle, at least in this state
-prior to operating a motor vehicle...at least within a reasonable amount of time, as determined by a BAC chart
-prior to posting anything on any forum on the internet...again, within reasonable time limits

As for the “correct beer, period”, I am partial to dunkle beers and red beers.

There are plenty of local brews that are also correct, but they come and go.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm

DL717 wrote:
....of this backyard local brew bullshit. I’d rather drink a warm Keystone Light than that crap. And that’s saying a lot because it would amount to drinking piss.

When I go to trivia night my team name is Hold my Stones. :biggrin:

fr8mech

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:01 pm

DL717 wrote:

We referred to Keystone as “strike beer”.

seb146

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:35 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand that. Both are just boring mass produced adjunct lagers. And if the Kokanee is in bottles, it wasn't even brewed in the mountains.

Yeah, but the farther south one goes, the harder it is to find ANY Canadian beer. In California and Nevada, all I could ever find is Fin du Monde in 20 ounce bottles and Moosehead six packs, if I was lucky. I asked a store here if they carried Kokanee. They asked me what it is and I told them "Canadian Budweiser." They laughed and said no.

Super80Fan

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:40 am

The best beer is free beer. The second best beer is cold beer.

ChrisKen

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:03 am

Super80Fan wrote:
The best beer is free beer. The second best beer is cold beer.

Cooling masks flavour. Which is why any 'beers' "best served cold" are not worth drinking, as they usually don't have any flavour to start with.

bgm

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am

I didn’t know beers had periods. Learn something new every day... :duck:

WildcatYXU

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:26 pm

seb146 wrote:

Yeah, but the farther south one goes, the harder it is to find ANY Canadian beer. In California and Nevada, all I could ever find is Fin du Monde in 20 ounce bottles and Moosehead six packs, if I was lucky. I asked a store here if they carried Kokanee. They asked me what it is and I told them "Canadian Budweiser." They laughed and said no.

The "Canadian Budweiser" is, well, Budweiser. That's Canada's top selling beer, with Coor's Light being the second. Canada's top mass produced non US licensed beer would be Molson Canadian. And the top Canadian owned beer brand is Moosehead.
Kokanee is just a niche product and AB Inbev is not spending too much to market it. I wouldn't be surprised if they would shut down the Columbia Brewery in the near future.

seb146

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:32 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
Kokanee is just a niche product and AB Inbev is not spending too much to market it. I wouldn't be surprised if they would shut down the Columbia Brewery in the near future.

YOU MONSTER!!!! YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!! ;)

I call Kokanee the Canadian Budweiser because, to me, it tastes like Budweiser. Maybe because of the blue and white label, a Canadian sounding word, and "Canada" written on the box, I think of it as Canada.

WildcatYXU

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 pm

seb146 wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

I call Kokanee the Canadian Budweiser because, to me, it tastes like Budweiser. Maybe because of the blue and white label, a Canadian sounding word, and "Canada" written on the box, I think of it as Canada.

Hey, you and your friends can help it. Just buy as many as you can in cans

trpmb6

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:01 pm

I always avoided Kokanee whenever I was in the frozen north. It looks too much like Busch Light.. and well.. I think that explains it well enough.

seb146

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:32 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
seb146 wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

Hey, you and your friends can help it. Just buy as many as you can in cans

First of all, you rent beer, you don't buy it. Second, I am not driving two hours just for a case of beer. Third, beer belongs in bottles not cans. :bouncy:

WildcatYXU

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 am

seb146 wrote:

Third, beer belongs in bottles not cans. :bouncy:

Yes, I agree. However AB Inbev decommissioned the bottle line in Creston. Kokanee in bottles comes from Edmonton. That's just wrong.