Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Will Albuquerque get an Amazon fulfillment center in the future?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:05 am

Looking at Amazon's fulfillment center map, it appears that Albuquerque is one of the last major cities without an Amazon fulfillment center. I know Amazon recently announced that they will be opening a fulfillment center in Tucson, so could Albuquerque not be far behind?

I know the Phoenix area fulfillment centers are overloaded with demand that we often have to feed off the Inland Empire of California (San Bernardino / Moreno Valley / Eastvale / Redlands / Rialto) for our Two-Day Prime orders, sometimes even when the local fulfillment centers have the item in stock. While the Tucson fulfillment center might provide some relief, those Phoenix area fulfillment centers don't just fulfill local orders but a lot of orders in Albuquerque.

It appears the new Tucson fulfillment center will stock sortable items. We have two sortable fulfillment centers in Phoenix - PHX6 is Large Sortable while TUS1 is Small Sortable (the difference being that PHX6 can handle items that can fit in a larger box than TUS1). PHX7 and PHX5 (Goodyear) are Non-Sortable, which are typically bulky items or items with irregular dimensions that cannot be handled by Amazon's picker machines. PHX3 was recently reconfigured to be an apparel and footwear fulfillment center (which surprisingly I never get IZOD shirts shipped from there - the nearest fulfillment centers they typically ship from are ONT2 in San Bernardino and ONT6 in Moreno Valley). This makes me wonder what type of items would a potential Albuquerque fulfillment center would stock. I do believe Sortable fulfillment centers are the most numerous, although only a limited number of fulfillment centers stock clothing.

seb146

Re: Will Albuquerque get an Amazon fulfillment center in the future?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:12 am

Wasn't this discussed before? Maybe it was Las Vegas and the Inland Empire of California that I remember.

If/When Amazon builds another DC, it will be outside of a major city. Probably not Albuquerque but Los Lunes or Rio Puerco. I would think they would build closer to where they can get landing slots. ABQ probably has them but what about cargo facilities?

910A

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:23 am

At this point no..Albuquerque population is just a little bigger than Mesa, AZ and the state population is less than a 1/3 of Arizona. I would guess that Arizona, and Texas centers can handle the needs of New Mexico at this time.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 am

seb146 wrote:
Wasn't this discussed before? Maybe it was Las Vegas and the Inland Empire of California that I remember.

If/When Amazon builds another DC, it will be outside of a major city. Probably not Albuquerque but Los Lunes or Rio Puerco. I would think they would build closer to where they can get landing slots. ABQ probably has them but what about cargo facilities?

Here in the Phoenix area most of Amazon's fulfillment centers are in Phoenix proper in the west side of the city (PHX5 in Goodyear being the lone exception). And as far as I know, the new Tucson fulfillment center will be in Tucson proper.

910A

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:00 am

1337Delta764 wrote:

Here in the Phoenix area most of Amazon's fulfillment centers are in Phoenix proper in the west side of the city (PHX5 in Goodyear being the lone exception). And as far as I know, the new Tucson fulfillment center will be in Tucson proper.

The new fulfillment center will be located at 6701 S. Kolb Rd. The 855,000-square-foot facility will sit on several Port of Tucson parcels, a family-owned facility in the city’s Ward 4 and on county property. Upon receipt of a certificate of occupancy, more than 94 acres will be annexed into the city of Tucson.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Interestingly I have yet to get any shipments from TUS1. All of my sortable items from the local fulfillment centers have shipped from PHX6. I also recently ordered a pair of shorts and I think it might be coming from PHX3. I have gotten bulky items from PHX5 and PHX7.

910A

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:46 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
Interestingly I have yet to get any shipments from TUS1. .

Perhaps that's because it isn't open yet :banghead:

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:10 pm

910A wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
Interestingly I have yet to get any shipments from TUS1. .

Perhaps that's because it isn't open yet :banghead:

TUS1 is not the new Tucson fulfillment center, it is in Phoenix and is already open. Not sure what will be the code of the new Tucson fulfillment center, but it will probably start with TUS.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:31 pm

One thing is that Amazon's shipping costs in Albuquerque must be higher than other areas considering its isolated location, especially when they have to use UPS or FedEx. I know those coming from Phoenix will generally use the Amazon+USPS last mile arrangement, but I'm not sure about those coming from other areas by ground. I have heard Albuquerque also gets a significant share of Amazon packages from the Las Vegas area and the Dallas/Fort Worth area; not sure what shipping carriers they use for packages coming from those areas.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:50 pm

FYI, according to some information that I read, the fulfillment center code for the new Tucson fulfillment center will be TUS2.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:05 pm

While not a fulfillment center, I just noticed Amazon Flex is hiring in the Albuquerque area. It seems like Flex is moving to smaller metropolitan areas while larger metropolitan areas mostly get shifted to the Delivery Service Partners for Logistics deliveries.

I can see the Delivery Station in Albuquerque feeding from the Phoenix area, DFW area, San Marcos/Schertz, Denver area, and possibly the Inland Empire.