Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

KONE and ThyssenKrupp Elevator in merger talks

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:22 pm

This was posted last month:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thys ... SKBN1K5119

It looks like KONE and ThyssenKrupp Elevator are in talks of merging their elevator units. From what I presume they way it would be structured, ThyssenKrupp would sell its elevator business to KONE.

If this happens, I wonder what will become of ThyssenKrupp's hydraulic elevators, since KONE no longer makes hydraulic elevators and has a strong stance against them. ThyssenKrupp is the world's leading manufacturer of hydraulic elevators.

tommy1808

Re: KONE and ThyssenKrupp Elevator in merger talks

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:18 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
since KONE no longer makes hydraulic elevators and has a strong stance against them. ThyssenKrupp is the world's leading manufacturer of hydraulic elevators.

In business a strong stance against something is often simply because your product fell behind, and you don´t want to shell out the money to become competitive again.

best regards
Thomas

VSMUT

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 am

Elevating news! This must lift the stock price!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:42 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
since KONE no longer makes hydraulic elevators and has a strong stance against them. ThyssenKrupp is the world's leading manufacturer of hydraulic elevators.

In business a strong stance against something is often simply because your product fell behind, and you don´t want to shell out the money to become competitive again.

best regards
Thomas

In KONE's case it is for environmental reasons. Hydraulic elevators use more energy, and if they are not of a holeless design, they could leak hydraulic oil into groundwater.

WIederling

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
In KONE's case it is for environmental reasons. Hydraulic elevators use more energy, and if they are not of a holeless design, they could leak hydraulic oil into groundwater.

That is another way of saying "our designers are incompetent". :-)

luv2cattlecall

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 pm

WIederling wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Or could it be the they have spent the money to make such a good viable alternative that the hydraulic ones are outdated? If an LCD TV company bought one that made CRTs as well, and decided they were against CRTs, there are multiple possible explainations.

Nami

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Unless I'm mistaken if this happens it would create by far the largest elevator manufacturer in the world.

Are there any markets where competition regulators could see issues with this move?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm

luv2cattlecall wrote:
WIederling wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Or could it be the they have spent the money to make such a good viable alternative that the hydraulic ones are outdated? If an LCD TV company bought one that made CRTs as well, and decided they were against CRTs, there are multiple possible explainations.

KONE's alternative is the machine-room less (MRL) traction elevator, which uses 1/3 as much energy and can fit in a hydraulic hoistway. ThyssenKrupp also produces their own MRL traction elevator, but continues to produce hydraulic elevators as well.

Aesma

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:06 am

I didn't think hydraulic elevators were common. The only ones I know of are at my workplace. They're from Otis.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:54 am

Aesma wrote:
I didn't think hydraulic elevators were common. The only ones I know of are at my workplace. They're from Otis.

Hydraulic elevators are very common in the United States for low-rise buildings due to their low purchase and installation costs. It is their higher energy consumption and hydraulic fluid that is their main drawback.

Aesma

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Here they're used for aesthetic reasons, the cabins are glass all around and there is no need for an ugly mechanism on top.