Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dragon-wings

Re: What’s something you remember that if you told a younger person they wouldn’t understand?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 am

Saturday morning cartoons. I remember watching cartoons like Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry on the major channels like ABC from the early morning hours to the early afternoon hours.

Braybuddy

Re: What’s something you remember that if you told a younger person they wouldn’t understand?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 am

The __________19__ at the top of forms and documents.

c933103

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 am

- Knocking on an electric appliance was an effective way to repair them
- 9 Planets

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Mother in law jokes

Wait, what?

There will be mother in laws jokes as long as their are mother in laws.

My ex-mil sure had enough to say about me, so they were all deserved.

N14AZ

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am

Does anyone remember this?
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule

I think it hasn't been mentioned before. If yes, I apologize.

scbriml wrote:
I took one of these Compaq bad boys home from work for a weekend once. Nearly gave myself a hernia the thing was so damn heavy.

My father bought the very first computer and took it home for a weekend as well. He asked me to carry it and I will never forget his words: "Watch out! This is as expensive as an aircraft!"
I was an active planespotter at that time and he didn't like that I "wasted" so much time at the airport fence. I always wondered if he really thought you can get an aircraft for the price of a computer (well, maybe a second hand Cessna...) or if he simply tried to impress me. Useless to say that I took every step of the stairway veeeeeeery veeeeeery carefully...

tommy1808

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 am

Picking people up right at the Jet Bridge at the airport.

best regards
Thomas

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 am

N14AZ wrote:
Does anyone remember this?

I think it hasn't been mentioned before. If yes, I apologize..

Even better:

I know I had to get one a dozen or so years ago when I was getting my PPL.

I wonder what millenials think of that!

N14AZ wrote:
scbriml wrote:
I took one of these Compaq bad boys home from work for a weekend once. Nearly gave myself a hernia the thing was so damn heavy.

My father bought the very first computer and took it home for a weekend as well. He asked me to carry it and I will never forget his words: "Watch out! This is as expensive as an aircraft!"
I was an active planespotter at that time and he didn't like that I "wasted" so much time at the airport fence. I always wondered if he really thought you can get an aircraft for the price of a computer (well, maybe a second hand Cessna...) or if he simply tried to impress me. Useless to say that I took every step of the stairway veeeeeeery veeeeeery carefully..

Yeah, one of my uncles showed up with the Compaq at a family party back in the day, just to show off.

I remember he booted DOS from floppies and loaded some spread sheet (probably VisiCalc) to show us that you could actually do work with it.

STT757

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Dialing a phone number without needing to use the area code.

DL717

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:59 am

c933103 wrote:
9 Planets

This one is being debated again. Apparently, the criteria that rules out Pluto wiped out a billion planets in the galaxy and some people are pissed.

https://www.space.com/40550-pluto-plane ... again.html

johnboy

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:14 am

DL717 wrote:
johnboy wrote:
Russia was “the enemy” and no one in government would be caught dead licking their taints like the current batch of Republican traitors are hungrily doing.

#threadclosed

Oh brother. Try to stay on topic.

What? Are you telling me this doesn’t fall within the thread topic? Perhaps you need to be a bit more open-minded.

(Edited to express my astonishment.)
Last edited by johnboy on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DL717

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:17 am

johnboy wrote:
DL717 wrote:
johnboy wrote:
Russia was “the enemy” and no one in government would be caught dead licking their taints like the current batch of Republican traitors are hungrily doing.

#threadclosed

What? Are you telling me this doesn’t fall within the thread topic? Perhaps you need to be a bit more open-minded.

#WhenPeopleDidntTryToDerailThreadsWithPolitics

c933103

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:23 am

DL717 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
9 Planets

This one is being debated again. Apparently, the criteria that rules out Pluto wiped out a billion planets in the galaxy and some people are pissed.

If the criteria is to be further amended and include Pluto, it is likely that other objects near Pluto will also be included as planet, and therefore it won't be 9 either

johnboy

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:31 am

DL717 wrote:
johnboy wrote:
DL717 wrote:

#WhenPeopleDidntTryToDerailThreadsWithPolitics

Well, bless your heart. :roll:

I remember when Russia AND North Korea leadership were not good people.

Now we have this from the State Televusion network:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/8 ... ng-un-fish

“Praising North Korean leader Kim Jong Un for spending time “out with the people.” Describing him as “quite the romantic.” Even lauding Kim’s uncharacteristically casual summer outfit.”

BTW, this is Fox News, not KCNA.

#getoverit
#doesitmakeyouuncomfortableitshould

tommy1808

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:12 am

DL717 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
9 Planets

OMG... none of the people quoted in that piece understand the planet definition. Surprising given their high profile, but I guess the "yes, Pluto is a planet" is good for book sales.

The definition is limited to the solar system by, well, definition. Hence it didn't strip any exo-planet of its planet status, as they never had that status, being exo-planets after all. That is the class they are in.
We have a hard enough time finding small exo-planets, figuring out if they cleared their neighbourhood is impossible as of now and unless nation states shell out hundreds of billions of dollars, in the grand theme of things not all that much spend over decades though, we won't.

It borders on hilarious if a guy is complaining about the current criteria being imprecise and leading to borderline cases suggests using "round objects in space that are smaller than stars." Instead. Newsflash: none of the planet's in the solar system is round.
So how round does it have to be to count as round? How do we find out if they are that round? Is Pluto round enough? From earth based observations we didn't know how round it was, we only knew it was heavy enough to likely be round, we had to send a probe to see that it is pretty round. Should it get planet status because we bothered to send a probe, and others not because we didn't yet?

And of course that would also strip all (exo-)planets of their planet status, because we have no effing clue how round they are, as we can not directly image them. Unless of course they are so heavy that they must be round, but that is just inference, not observation and pretty much only doable for gas giants.

We have a good idea how heavy they are though and because of that, the IAU definition is at least in principle applicable to exo-planets, where the roundness criteria is not and probably never will be, applicable unless we figure a way to send a probe. Even the biggest suggested telescope could at best make out continent sized structures on near by exo-planets.

And talk about being unclear, a chunk of mallible ice like Pluto can be fairly small and light for gravitation to make it round, a rocky piece of planet candidate needs to be quite a bit bigger to be round.

nonsense wrote:
"This leads to many bizarre and absurd conclusions. For example, it would mean that Earth was not a planet for its first 500 million years of history, because it orbited among a swarm of debris until that time, and also that if you took Earth today and moved it somewhere else, say out to the asteroid belt, it would cease being a planet."

There isn't one true statement in this. For one the definition is for what is a planet and not for what was, it is also clearing the neighbourhood over a long period of time, the lifetime of our solar system. The moment earth had accreded enough mass to do that, it was a planet, even with all the debris flying around, and if you transported earth into the asteroid belt if would again clear its neighbourhood given enough time, and still remain a planet. I also like how a scientist (!) tries to make an argument based on something impossible, we can't transport earth.

I liked Pluto as a planet as much as everyone else, but get over it, it ain't one. And if it ever becomes a planet again based on the roundness feature you get a shitload of planets, not just Pluto back.

People only commenting on stuff they understand on better-than-the-average-layman in the media is also something that young people today don't know anymore.

Best regards
Thomas

aviationaware

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:14 am

Playing tug of war on the school yard. These days, most schools forbid it and play hug of peace instead. It's really disgusting where liberals have lead our schools.

tommy1808

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 am

aviationaware wrote:
Playing tug of war on the school yard. These days, most schools forbid it

For the same reason football is becoming less popular in schools: liability. Because the same parents that complain about libtards taking all the good stuff out of school would happily sue that school if a snapped rope punshes an eye out, or one team decides it is fun to let go mid game and someone breaks something.
But I know, keeping children safe has a liberal bias...

Best regards
Thomas

aviationaware

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Has nothing to do with liabiliy, but everything to do with the war on boys.

tommy1808

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:17 pm

aviationaware wrote:

Yeah, right... some other made up wars are currently going?
But really hard on those poor boy to get just 6 month of jail for property damage.... rape I mean. That wouldn't happen if there was a war on boys.

Best regards
Thomas

aviationaware

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Any other things you want to make up to ridicule me?

Aesma

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 pm

zrs70 wrote:
Calling a phone number to get the exact time

That's still available here, the number is 3699.

It's useful in my line of work when we can't dial a longer number for some tests.

Aesma

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Revelation wrote:
I remember he booted DOS from floppies and loaded some spread sheet (probably VisiCalc) to show us that you could actually do work with it.

Booting from floppies is in itself something younger generations wouldn't understand. You have that expensive device and it can't even boot without putting a flimsy plastic thing in it. Then you have to wait for ages.

ER757

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:50 am

[quote="N14AZ"]Does anyone remember this?

I think it hasn't been mentioned before. If yes, I apologize.

Not only do I remember slide rules, I knew how to use one. OK, showing my age now. :old:

smallvoyageur

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Calling 0990 292929, which wasn't premium rate which at the time was 36p off-peak and 48p at all other times, it was the national rate at 10p per minute to book a flight with easyJet and getting tickets in the post!

smallvoyageur

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Aesma wrote:
zrs70 wrote:
Calling a phone number to get the exact time

That's still available here, the number is 3699.

It's useful in my line of work when we can't dial a longer number for some tests.

Calling 123, you still get...

"After the third stoke, the time is, sponsored by Accurist will be ten forty-four and twenty seconds"

DL717

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 pm

867-5309

I feel for the poor bastards that had that number.

TSS

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:34 am

DL717 wrote:
867-5309

I feel for the poor bastards that had that number.

I seem to remember hearing at the time courtesy of Casey Kasem that that phone number belonged to the principal's office where Tommy Tutone went to high school, though it would have belonged to other people across the country as well. The popularity of that song led to the FCC rule of having to use fake phone numbers beginning with "555" in all recorded and broadcast media since then.

Going back even further, there was also 634-5789.

seb146

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:32 am

Beechwood 4-5789
Pennsylvania 6-5000
The Earth is flat

When I was in sixth grade, I was told we would not advance current pop culture interest once we hit 35. Or, once we hit 35, we would lose all interest in pop culture and pretty much be stuck with. I get lost in a nostalgia fog when I hear a specific block of songs from 1999 or sit-coms from the early 1990s but I also like songs and shows from today.

Ken777

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:19 am

The Draft

Draft Dodgers

Airlines giving folks in uniform half price tickets on standby

Running between terminals at LAX to get on a half priced ($11.00) flight LAX-SFO when in the Navy. (When one flight is full you dash to the next terminal. :point: )

Getting an empty cigar box from the store in summer for your "pencil case" in elementary school.

"Paper Drives" in elementary school, stacking them 36" high by the fence.

Ellla, The Count and Louis

Rock Hudson kissing women in the movies.

Saturday morning Fun Club at the movies for 9¢. Cartoons, a serial and a movie.

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 am

Referring to a device as "solid state".

sccutler

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:07 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
sccutler wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:

Sadly not gone yet.

In which state is discrimination on the basis of race lawful? Please, be specific, so w can learn something new today.

---

As for WordPerfect, it ain't dead yet, especially in the legal market. Now in version 16 (I think), fully supported, a vastly superior word processor to Microsoft Turd... errr, Word.

The quote was legal racism which is alive and well, not discrimination.

Of course, tactics like gerrymandering and voter ID laws are current legal ways to discriminate against minorities

That is not at all the same thing as "legal racism," because in any instance where the cited practice is determined to have been racially-motivated, it is stricken (and this has, of course, happened).

Flighty

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:30 am

STT757 wrote:
Dialing a phone number without needing to use the area code.

Or using telephones at all.

Knowing people's phone number by heart.

Camp Candee the cartoon.

How great the 1980s and early 1990s were.

WIederling

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 am

c933103 wrote:
- Knocking on an electric appliance was an effective way to repair them
- 9 Planets

That hasn't really changed.
The urge of inanimate matter to have some hands on interaction.

smallvoyageur

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:33 pm

I would think about jokes about books of Co-op divvy or green shield stamps.

What about longwave or shortwave radio?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:27 pm

ZX Spectrum, my first PC!

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Trust. At 65, I’m astounded how dishonest and untrustworthy people are. My local skeet club put in carded fields and are saving 15% of targets thrown, not going unpaid. I have bought several shotguns, 5- digit price each, from a guy I’ve met once briefly. Both times, it was, “send a personal check, Krieghoff is on the way. No one has stiffed me, you won’t either.” I’ve bought several cars with a personal check and drove off. No more, last new car was like buying s 787; an hour spent confirming the ACH transfer from my bank to their’s.

There was a time a hand shake or verbal commitment meant something.

AM/8-track player in my second Ford

Men and women actually dressed like they cared

Car tune-ups or winterization—new plugs, points and condenser!

Collect or person-to-person phone calls. Remember calling p2p and Mom telling the operator, “he’s not home” thus knowing I got wherever I was going.

$12 hotel rooms and $14,000 Ferraris

Transatlantic steamship travel. People are amazed that I as a youngster went to England on the QE1

GF

aeromoe

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 pm

The correct usage of "then" and "than" in written English communication. Of course there are people my age and older that don't get it either.

T18

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:33 am

Memory cards for gaming consoles, Landline phones, Walking to the gate to pickup someone at the airport, H-Pattern Transmissions, DOS prompt, what a hanging chad is, playing outside and not being kidnapped and murdered, Y2K, sequential highway exit numbers, eating peanut products at school, and privacy (ie not posting every minute of life to the internet).

salttee

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:00 am

12 cent White Castle hamburgers
"stop using the electric drill" you're screwing up the TV reception"!
superheterodyne radios
Seeing light at the end of the tunnel
Last edited by salttee on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

salttee

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 am

aviationaware wrote:

Actually is has to do with the fact that tug of war is dangerous, in the sense that kids get hurt when the rope breaks, and 20 kids on a side can put thousands of pounds of tension on a rope.
Lots of kids have gotten broken bones from playing that "game"

aviationaware

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:35 am

salttee wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

Actually is has to do with the fact that tug of war is dangerous, in the sense that kids get hurt when the rope breaks, and 20 kids on a side can put thousands of pounds of tension on a rope.
Lots of kids have gotten broken bones from playing that "game"

Broken bones are to be expected with children. Nobody has ever suffered permanent damage from playing tug of war.

salttee

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:38 am

aviationaware wrote:
Broken bones are to be expected with children. Nobody has ever suffered permanent damage from playing tug of war.

You aren't the brightest bulb on the tree.
https://priceonomics.com/a-history-of-t ... atalities/

aviationaware

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 am

salttee wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

You aren't the brightest bulb on the tree.
https://priceonomics.com/a-history-of-t ... atalities/

Good grief, the toxic masculinity crowd has taken the time to construct a cock and bull story around a handful of people who suffered lasting damage. Out of how many million who played? Crossing the street is probably more dangerous. Banning tug of war is stupid, anti-boys and totalitarian.

salttee

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:55 am

BTW
Broken bones are serious and are not "to be expected".

aviationaware

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:28 am

A childhood without a broken bone can't have been a very good childhood.

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Trust. At 65, I’m astounded how dishonest and untrustworthy people are.
Collect or person-to-person phone calls. Remember calling p2p and Mom telling the operator, “he’s not home” thus knowing I got wherever I was going.

:scratchchin:

Guess stiffing the phone company doesn't count as dishonesty.

salttee wrote:
12 cent White Castle hamburgers

If you see "sliders" on a menu, you owe one to White Castle.

salttee wrote:
superheterodyne radios

I reckon every radio we have (cell, wi-fi, broadcast, etc) is still a superhet.

Cheers to Major Armstrong for that, and frequency modulation too!

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Howard_Armstrong

aviationaware wrote:
Banning tug of war is stupid, anti-boys and totalitarian.

What is a poor boy to do?

TSS

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:35 am

T18 wrote:
H-Pattern Transmissions,

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "This vehicle is equipped with a Millennial anti-theft device" alongside a picture of a manual gearshift lever.

T18 wrote:
sequential highway exit numbers

Unless they've made that universal in the last few years, it varies by state. For example Alabama's exits are numbered by miles from border but Georgia's exits are numbered sequentially.

T18

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:32 am

From what I can find Georgia has in fact adopted the by mile system at least on the Interstates. I Remember when Florida changed it in the 90s as I was living there at the time. Was a boon for map makers at the time, as everyone needed to buy a new one, I guess that's another thing people younger than me won't know how to use, paper maps. I find it crazy how much people born even 5 years after me had a very different life growing up. I don't know if that was as true in the 60s or 70s but these days man does tech move fast.

TSS

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:41 am

T18 wrote:
From what I can find Georgia has in fact adopted the by mile system at least on the Interstates.

What a bummer. I always found Georgia's sequential system more easy to use and understand, especially since in crowded downtown areas the exits switched from sequential numbers to the names of the streets the exits connected to, e.g. the Spring Street exit let you off on Spring Street, the 10th Street exit on 10th Street, etc.

ltbewr

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:50 am

When a cheap airfare was not easy to find, using consolidators or 'bucket shops' and could check in 2 bags for no additional fees.
Same day 'standby fares at cheap prices from NYC- London and London-NYC.
Luggage without self-contained rollers.
707, DC-8, L-1011 and DC-10's
Far less security at airports.
Cars without airbags.