Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Re: Non-Av Pic Thread, Q3 2018

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:32 pm

We're well into the third quarter, so a new thread is long overdue. I'll start this one off with a summer visit over to our next door neighbour: :smile:

WarRI1

Re: Re: Non-Av Pic Thread, Q3 2018

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:42 am

Braybuddy.

I like the new pictures, I could not find anything to critique either. I must say I am surprised to see unarmed Bobbies in these days of madness. I see a Billy and Handcuffs . You would not last long here without a firearm. I wonder if they have Ballistic Vests ?

ChrisKen

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:25 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

I like the new pictures, I could not find anything to critique either. I must say I am surprised to see unarmed Bobbies in these days of madness. I see a Billy and Handcuffs . You would not last long here without a firearm. I wonder if they have Ballistic Vests ?

Usually stab vests, however we don't let any Dwayne, Chad or Bubba have free access to firearms as you do.

trpmb6

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:06 pm

I loved the "no drugs or nuclear weapons allowed" sign for Boutique.

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Some shots from a trip back home in late June:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
I must say I am surprised to see unarmed Bobbies in these days of madness. I see a Billy and Handcuffs . You would not last long here without a firearm. I wonder if they have Ballistic Vests ?

As far as I know (but UK members on here can confirm or deny) that it's policy in the UK (as here in Ireland) not to arm police officers on duty, although you will see armed police in some sensitive areas, and, of course, they will be called out in emergency situations. I'm intrigued by your referece to a "Billy", as I have no idea what one is. Please enlighten me, WarRI1 :scratchchin: . I believe the vests are stab vests, as ChrisKen mentions.

trpmb6 wrote:

Indeed. It caught my eye immediately and was the reason for taking the pic. :D

WarRI1

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:35 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
I must say I am surprised to see unarmed Bobbies in these days of madness. I see a Billy and Handcuffs . You would not last long here without a firearm. I wonder if they have Ballistic Vests ?

As far as I know (but UK members on here can confirm or deny) that it's policy in the UK (as here in Ireland) not to arm police officers on duty, although you will see armed police in some sensitive areas, and, of course, they will be called out in emergency situations. I'm intrigued by your referece to a "Billy", as I have no idea what one is. Please enlighten me, WarRI1 :scratchchin: . I believe the vests are stab vests, as ChrisKen mentions.

trpmb6 wrote:

Indeed. It caught my eye immediately and was the reason for taking the pic. :D

When in London in the government and of course tourist areas in 2007, I was surprised at the presence of so many armed police at that time. I suppose I expected the unarmed police were a thing of the past because of terrorists. I have read that knives are the weapons of choice in the UK because of the laws about firearm ownership. In fact in 2007 a woman police officer was stabbed to death next to the Hotel at Heathrow Airport where we were staying overnight to catch a flight home. When we were leaving on the shuttle they told us what had happened. In USA ballistic vests, in UK stab protection, makes sense.
https://www.policeone.com/police-histor ... illy-club/

WarRI1

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:42 am

ChrisKen wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Usually stab vests, however we don't let any Dwayne, Chad or Bubba have free access to firearms as you do.

I own some to protect myself from Dwayne, Chad and Bubba. One thing begets another. :banghead:

WarRI1

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:54 am

vikkyvik

Nice shots. I see home has a need for a snowplow. What are these birds that come to snow country?

vikkyvik

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:39 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
vikkyvik

Nice shots. I see home has a need for a snowplow. What are these birds that come to snow country?

Thanks. Home is in MA.

I believe they are Great Blue Herons. Their nests are about a quarter-mile through the woods from my parents' house.

WarRI1

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:16 am

vikkyvik wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
vikkyvik

Thanks. Home is in MA.

I believe they are Great Blue Herons. Their nests are about a quarter-mile through the woods from my parents' house.

A great Blue Heron is kind of scarce in my area of R.I. That is a ton of them, like I have never seen.

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Forest fire sun. It looked like sunset all day. These were taken at around 5:30 PM, so 2.5 hours before actual sunset. First one is an HDR to really get the color of the actual sun:

trpmb6

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:30 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Forest fire sun. It looked like sunset all day. These were taken at around 5:30 PM, so 2.5 hours before actual sunset. First one is an HDR to really get the color of the actual sun:

Great shot, crazy there are no sunspots right now!

Every April we get a very similar setting in Kansas. They burn all of the pastures in the flint hills. They are scheduled and closely managed so as to not reduce air quality too much. It's a great program and is highly needed. Research into Native American history actually tells us that they too burned the grasslands intentionally to promote new growth for range animals. More grassland meant bigger herds in their area, and thus more food.

We do it today for much the same reason and also to prevent future dust bowl type situations. (and to prevent massive wild fires that may be started out of our control)

I'll try and find my similar pictures and post them here.

WarRI1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:09 am

vikkyvik wrote:

Certainly a beautiful picture caused by a tragic situation.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:21 pm

It's been a GREAT summer (well, almost). Time for more seasonal pics:

WarRI1

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:55 am

Braybuddy.

A fine set of photos. Photo number 1 First glance, it looked like two rockets lifting off, obviously channel markers. Same picture, did you see the face in the rocks, looks like a the head of a Baboon to me. I got a chuckle out of the old timer on the bench with nothing to look at but a elderly woman coming by. My luck for sure. The girls at the Carnival picture three from bottom. A fine shot of their footwear. They do stand out.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:45 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

A fine set of photos. Photo number 1 First glance, it looked like two rockets lifting off, obviously channel markers. Same picture, did you see the face in the rocks, looks like a the head of a Baboon to me. I got a chuckle out of the old timer on the bench with nothing to look at but a elderly woman coming by. My luck for sure. The girls at the Carnival picture three from bottom. A fine shot of their footwear. They do stand out.

Thank you! I'm always amazed that you can quickly spot something in a pic that I failed to notice, either when taking it or working on it afterwards. I hadn't even noticed the channel markers, nor the face in the rocks. It looks so obvious now, so I don't know how it didn't jump out at me. Sometimes you need a fresh eye! I'm glad you have such an appreciation of female footwear: they are a particularly fine example . . . ;)

WarRI1

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:01 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Thank you! I'm always amazed that you can quickly spot something in a pic that I failed to notice, either when taking it or working on it afterwards. I hadn't even noticed the channel markers, nor the face in the rocks. It looks so obvious now, so I don't know how it didn't jump out at me. Sometimes you need a fresh eye! I'm glad you have such an appreciation of female footwear: they are a particularly fine example . . . ;)

Keep em coming and I will keep on looking. My wife has also mentioned how I seem to notice female forms, ;) I have always wondered if that is a compliment.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Only a short hop away, but Wales is a really lovely and wonderful place to visit. Some pics taken around Cardiff and Swansea:

WarRI1

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:32 am

Braybuddy.

The picture in the Shopping Mall, did you notice the interesting mirror effects you captured? Especially the open door with the milk shake sign and the reversal of the shoppers middle and left side and right side. Picture six down, a fine job capturing those lovely ear buds and a great study in human form.The picture next to last, is that a river bridge taken from a moving vehicle? I see water and shore line through the rail. The railings look like weathered copper. Mighty expensive if it is. Our bridges are all falling apart.

ChrisKen

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:36 am

WarRI1 wrote:
The picture next to last, is that a river bridge taken from a moving vehicle? I see water and shore line through the rail. The railings look like weathered copper. Mighty expensive if it is. Our bridges are all falling apart.

Looks like one of the Severn crossings so yup, definitely moving. The barriers will made of steel and painted/coated for protection in the salt water environment (and aesthetic considerations).

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:24 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

The picture in the Shopping Mall, did you notice the interesting mirror effects you captured? Especially the open door with the milk shake sign and the reversal of the shoppers middle and left side and right side. Picture six down, a fine job capturing those lovely ear buds and a great study in human form.The picture next to last, is that a river bridge taken from a moving vehicle? I see water and shore line through the rail. The railings look like weathered copper. Mighty expensive if it is. Our bridges are all falling apart.

I have to hand to you WarRI1, Sherlock Holmes is only crawling after you! I didn't expect anyone to get the bridge picture, so go straight to the top of the class! It is (as ChrisKen correctly guessed) the Prince of Wales bridge over the River Severn. I used a half-second exposure with the lens pressed firmlly against the window to give that blurred effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Severn_Crossing

I hadn't noticed the mirror effects at all (I should really pay more attention to my own pictures :eek: ), and that milk shake reflection is interesting in itself: it's actually a double-reversal of the lettering, which is unusual. And, yes, I'm sure it was the ear buds that caught your attention in that other picture . . . ;)

WarRI1

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:03 am

Braybuddy.

Thanks for the link about the bridge, very interesting. I did notice that the tolls are being eliminated on the bridge. Around here, tolls are never reduced, or eliminated until the bridge is ready to fall down, then we start all over with higher tolls to rebuild it or build new. What a country!! Keep em coming. I showed my wife your pictures and she agrees, they are nice earbuds. :ouch: :rotfl: