Dutchy
Topic Author

Thai youth football team trapped in cave

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:40 am

Divers have found the football team in the Tham Luang Nang Non cave but experts warn it may be months before they can be safely rescued

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... -team-live

These youth sought shelter inside a cave system for the rain. The cave started to flood, forcing them further and further inside. Eventually, they were found a life, but they can't be taken from their position, so they might be trapped there for months. The plan now is to train the lets in diving methods after they have strengthened themselves. An amazing story of hope and persevering.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Okie

Re: Thai youth football team trapped in cave

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Not sure what you are talking about seeking shelter. Where did you get that.
From your linked article.

Raymenants said the boys had made their way though the tunnel as part of a local initiation rite.

Most likely a good indication as to why they were so deep into the cave structure although it has saved their lives.

Okie

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:03 am

They were with their soccer coach. Little has been said on the national news about how they got where they are. Just "they're there" "they need to get out" kind of stuff. A British team discovered them, and the video they made was released by the Thai Special Forces.

Said they could be there for months. Can they drill down to them like they did in Chile? They said the boys were about a 1/2 mile down. The Thai Govt. said they would spare no expense to get them. The overall cost to drill and rescue the Chileian miners was 20Mil.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

WIederling

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:13 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Can they drill down to them like they did in Chile? They said the boys were about a 1/2 mile down. The Thai Govt. said they would spare no expense to get them. The overall cost to drill and rescue the Chileian miners was 20Mil.

Newspaper here seemed to indicate that they are currently going for draining the flooded access path.
Pumped out a lot of water already.
Murphy is an optimist

Aesma

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:02 am

Yeah pumping seem the most logical (and cheap) solution.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Could they they build a levee around the entrance and would that stop the monsoon rain from getting into the cave, or does the rain water enter from many places?

Draining is laborious though because it's many isolated areas, and not just one area to drain. I hope the draining works.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

WIederling

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:00 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Could they they build a levee around the entrance and would that stop the monsoon rain from getting into the cave, or does the rain water enter from many places?

Is probably no different from other cave system of this type. Internal water levels are determined by the balance of influx
via porosity and cracks and chimneys washed out of the base material and outflow via other crevices connected further down
into rivers or the water table. If you saturate the system with rain water levels rise. Pumping adds to the normal
dissipation.
Murphy is an optimist

WarRI1

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:13 am

Let us wish for a good solution for these children and their families. I cannot even imagine what they are all going through. I would imagine it is very hard on the rescue personal also.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

B777LRF

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:11 am

There was an interview with one of the mothers, who is anxiously waiting outside the cave. Asked if she had a message for her boy, she answered 'I'd ask him to be at his best behaviour'. A 'western' mom would have rather different words to offer I'm sure, but I really like this approach to life: Think of others before yourself.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

WIederling

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:01 am

B777LRF wrote:
A 'western' mom would have rather different words to offer I'm sure, but I really like this approach to life: Think of others before yourself.

US MOM:
Start litigation because the kid can't have his life essential EmoSup pig brought into the cave ? :-)
Murphy is an optimist

TheF15Ace

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:30 am

WIederling wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
A 'western' mom would have rather different words to offer I'm sure, but I really like this approach to life: Think of others before yourself.

US MOM:
Start litigation because the kid can't have his life essential EmoSup pig brought into the cave ? :-)

Probably better for the pig though. They were missing for 10 days. How long before somebody thought: mmmmm bacon :mrgreen:

WIederling

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:40 am

TheF15Ace wrote:
WIederling wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

US MOM:

Probably better for the pig though. They were missing for 10 days. How long before somebody thought: mmmmm bacon :mrgreen:

A litigation fest. "Those barbaric people ate my boys EmoSup Pig". ( Now why is our son picking his teeth :-)
Murphy is an optimist

casinterest

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:20 pm

One of the divers working to rescue the team has lost his life while staging oxygen canisters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44734385

There is a lot of concern as the oxygen levels in that cave are falling .
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Cadet985

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:21 am

Looks like a rescue has started. Looks like it will take several days.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/08 ... s-say.html

Marc

scbriml

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:01 am

This shows the challenges of getting the boys out:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44755452

That one experienced diver has already died shows just how dangerous this is. There are at least two parts of the cave where the passage is too small to allow the wearing of scuba tanks.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Draken21fx

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:23 am

I think the operation has started. Hopefully with a bit of luck everyone will make it out. Weather is rapidly deteriorating so I guess that was partly the reason.

Kudos to all the volunteers (local and foreign) who got involved, shows what can be achieved with a bit of team effort.

neutrino

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:03 pm

And I was last there in December.
The rainy season was over and the only water present inside the cave was a little stream.
Whenever I went to Mae Sai, I always stayed at nearby Ban Chong village,less than 2 km from the cave entrance.
I have been receiving updates via WhatsApp from Ban Chong on the situation.

Anyway, the rescue ops is now underway, with the first boy expected to be brought out in around two hours which will be 9pm Thai time or 12noon GMT.....hopefully.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Draken21fx

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Two seem to be out...

neutrino

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Some news mentioned 3 but I have yet to receive any confirmation..

neutrino

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:48 pm

What I have now is that 4 of the boys had been brought out; with the first at shortly after 5pm local time.

neutrino

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Two now in Chiangrai Hospital, two at field hospital near the cave and another two had reached chamber three, the rescue base camp.

WIederling

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:05 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/44755093

pumping and the natural run off seems to have made quite the difference .. and rescue much faster.
Murphy is an optimist

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:12 pm

All 12 children and their coach have been rescued now, however a doctor and three divers are still in the cave.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

LittleFokker

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:16 am

It's good news that they're all out and on the way to recovery.

Now that we're all clear, can I hope sense will prevail and the proper Thai authority will barricade the shit out of this cave?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Dutchy
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Last I heard they might want to turn it into a tourist attraction of some kind.

There is also an interesting development. 4 out of the 12 are stateless, they now ask for the Thai authorities to give them papers, in order to travel abroad. They have been invited to Man. City to come and play with them.

trpmb6

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 pm

What does stateless mean in this sense? Does that have to do with the political issues between Thailand and China itself?

Dutchy
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
What does stateless mean in this sense? Does that have to do with the political issues between Thailand and China itself?

Stateless means stateless, so no official papers, no official residence in a county, no passport.

Found a link or you: https://www.afp.com/en/news/23/coach-ek ... oc-17e98c3

They seem to part of a group of 480.000 people in Thailand whom are stateless according to the UN.

alfa164

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:07 am

Dutchy wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Stateless means stateless, so no official papers, no official residence in a county, no passport.
Found a link or you: https://www.afp.com/en/news/23/coach-ek ... oc-17e98c3
They seem to part of a group of 480.000 people in Thailand whom are stateless according to the UN.

Yes; they came from Myanmar (Burma), and are hoping to become Thai citizens.

This is apparently a very well-regarded team; some of the players - despite their young ages - had already been scouted by professional sides.

neutrino

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:50 am

LittleFokker wrote:
............I hope sense will prevail and the proper Thai authority will barricade the shit out of this cave?

I'll quote a general saying that might or not apply to you (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt): "If you don't open your mouth, nobody will know you are dumb".

With that out of the way, may I respectfully ask whether you have been to that cave?
I did, the latest being last December, and will go again. Just use common sense and follow the locals' advice to avoid it during the rainy season and you will be safer than walking along the roads. My only concern now is that the powers-that-be there might take advantage of Tham Luang's newfound "worldwide fame" and cash in. Then the cave complex will become truey flooded, not with water but with hordes of curious onlookers. The times that I previously visited, the weekdays were very peaceful. with low foot traffic and that might be history soon. :frown: