Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Melania’s “I don’t really care” jacket

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:11 pm

I’m surprised this isn’t causing more outrage. The First Lady visiting children who’ve been separated from their parents wearing a jacket in the middle of summer proclaiming she could care less. She might as well have said “let them eat cake”. This new reality we live in becomes more vile with every passing day. I fear this behavior is becoming normalized and people are no longer shocked or even care. I hate to be pessimistic but it seems as though the sensible, decent people in the world are losing the battle.

Trump tweeted about the jacket and said it referred to the fake media. Right.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/politics ... index.html

jetwet1

Re: Melania’s “I don’t really care” jacket

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Here is the thing, I don't think it has anything to do with the kids, I think it's aimed more at Trump, but with the side benefit of causing another headache for the Donald.

This subject did come up in the "is there anything Trump could say" thread yesterday, Donald's reply will appeal to his base, but to everyone else, they won't buy it.

salttee

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
I’m surprised this isn’t causing more outrage.
It's so off the wall and inexplicable that it's hard to get worked up by it. But I don't think it will be soon forgotten.

Tugger

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Here is the thing, I don't think it has anything to do with the kids, I think it's aimed more at Trump, but with the side benefit of causing another headache for the Donald.

This subject did come up in the "is there anything Trump could say" thread yesterday, Donald's reply will appeal to his base, but to everyone else, they won't buy it.

I tend to be more on this side of it. She didn't have to go, just going caused a bit of an issue for Trump and I would not be surprised if she had already planned to do this before he flipped on removing children. She is honestly a mystery now in the administration and her relationship with Trump and his presidency.

Tugg

seb146

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Tugger wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

I tend to be more on this side of it. She didn't have to go, just going caused a bit of an issue for Trump and I would not be surprised if she had already planned to do this before he flipped on removing children. She is honestly a mystery now in the administration and her relationship with Trump and his presidency.

Tugg

She did not have to go. Maybe (just speculating) Peter Fonda's tweet got to her. She did announce she was going. She is also a fashionista. She knows trends and styles. Wearing this particular designer was not the problem. It is that she chose this one jacket with the tone deaf phrase.

M564038

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Of course she knew. These guys aren’t stupid. One of our right wing politicians, a state secretary, no less, did the same thing during the mediteranen refugee crisis in 2015. As people where drowning in the sea, he was wearing a t-shirt saying «good journey» at their party convention, claiming it to be a total coincidence.

It is no different from Neo-Nazis using 88 instead of Heil Hitler.
Their crazy fans know it, they know it, we know it.

Aesma

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:34 pm

The first lady admin is saying it means one thing, Trump is saying it means something else entirely, and Melania isn't saying anything.

I don't get why some people think it's about the fate of the families, it doesn't make sense as she's going to see them, nobody forced her to do that.

salttee

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Aesma wrote:
I don't get why some people think it's about the fate of the families
Even if she's not the brightest bulb on the tree, we should be able to assume that she can read the big block letters on her backside and associate that message with her outing on that day.

This is a girl who normally coordinates her outfit with wherever she is going on a particular day.

AM744

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:06 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

The thing is that we, casual observers, have to speculate to somehow conclude it doesn't have to do with the children. Maybe it does. Good deeds don't require explanations.

WarRI1

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:52 am

I found it rather Bizarre, but it fits in with the current atmosphere in DC. .

BN747

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:05 am

I still can't get used to a first Lady that's more fitting (and sounds exactly like) Mrs. Count Dracula...but that's just me..

..you can now afford it Mrs. Mango Mussolini, hire a private english tutor and LEARN from him/her!

BN747

bagoldex

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:21 am

Perhaps it's a reference to her life itself. I've heard few people suggest that her recent hospitalization may have been due to a suicide attempt.

Mir

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:06 am

CitizenJustin wrote:

This whole administration is a living, breathing DDoS attack. There's just too much crap to cover it all. Hell, the Commerce secretary might well be engaged in insider trading - that would be a non-stop scandal in any other administration, but you barely heard a thing about it because at the same time the government was ripping young children away from their parents purely to make a point (not that I can really fault the media for focusing on that when there are only so many hours in the day).

So I'm not shocked that Melania's jacket isn't getting as much coverage. It's an incredibly stupid thing for her to do, even if you want to take the most charitable explanation and say that she just picked the first thing out of her closet, someone on her staff would have tried to stop her if they were the very least bit competent (and if she had then worn it anyway we wouldn't be talking about the most charitable explanation). It shows a complete disconnect in empathy between what's going on in the country and either her, the White House, or both. But it's still not as bad as other stuff going on. There are still kids who have been disconnected from their parents and the government has no plans to try and get them back together again.

One thing is for sure, however: Michelle Obama, or Hillary for that matter, would have been excoriated for this. Hell, Michelle Obama got crap for wearing a sleeveless dress (because black people showing off their guns makes white conservatives a bit nervous, I'm guessing). So it is at least mildly infuriating that Trump gets to slip all this stuff past the radar and the Republicans indulge him with a smile on their face.

seb146

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:56 am

bagoldex wrote:
Perhaps it's a reference to her life itself. I've heard few people suggest that her recent hospitalization may have been due to a suicide attempt.

I have not heard that one. I have heard the possibility of plastic surgery, tummy tuck, or she simply wanted to be out of the spotlight. There are long periods of time when the First Lady is out of the spotlight. It didn't really raise any red flags with me until it was announced she had some kidney problems.

I don't think she wanted any of this, but I hardly think she would use this jacket at this moment to reference that.

Ken777

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:27 am

My thinking is that she really doesn't care about all the filth that spews for little DonnyBoy's mouth. She came for the kids and to embarrass her pig of a husband, she met the kids and quietly provided some personal funds to help the kids.

Until we get rid of this nation disaster we will be having multi events each from him. :vomit:

ER757

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Had she worn it after she got off the plane in TX then I think it would be a story worth covering - but she didn't so it's a big nothing burger as far as I am concerned. Was it dumb to wear it in the first place? Hell yeah, but to tie it to the visit to the kids is a stretch.

MaverickM11

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Not sure what's more shocking--that this whore is advertising Trump's official policy on literally everything that isn't a wealthy white, straight, christian male, or that she's wearing something that is $39? Tough to decide...

seb146

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 pm

ER757 wrote:
Had she worn it after she got off the plane in TX then I think it would be a story worth covering - but she didn't so it's a big nothing burger as far as I am concerned. Was it dumb to wear it in the first place? Hell yeah, but to tie it to the visit to the kids is a stretch.

If she wore the coat on any random day is one thing. But there is something suspect when she wears it and says she is going to visit these traumatized children is more than a coincidence. It would have been hilarious if she had worn it to yet another golfing weekend her husband takes. But, she probably makes something up as to why she can't go with him to his resort that weekend. Like she has to "be best" or something...

zkojq

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Mir wrote:
So I'm not shocked that Melania's jacket isn't getting as much coverage. It's an incredibly stupid thing for her to do, even if you want to take the most charitable explanation and say that she just picked the first thing out of her closet, someone on her staff would have tried to stop her if they were the very least bit competent (and if she had then worn it anyway we wouldn't be talking about the most charitable explanation). It shows a complete disconnect in empathy between what's going on in the country and either her, the White House, or both. But it's still not as bad as other stuff going on.

jetwet1 wrote:

You both have good points, but I can just as easily see it having being done on purpose as a distraction from other White House scandals and to "enrage the libs". If it moves the national conversation onto Melania's outfits and away from insider trading scandals (and everything else that's going on), then that's not a bad thing from Trump's perspective.

afcjets

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:31 pm

salttee wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
It's so off the wall and inexplicable that it's hard to get worked up by it. But I don't think it will be soon forgotten.

Trump doesn't want you to forget it. Most people outraged by it would not support him no matter what he does, whether getting rid of ISIS, denuclearizing NK, freeing blacks unfairly sentenced to prison, lowest minority unemployment in history, closing in on the wealth gap which hit a record under the Obama administration, etc.

Her message can mean whatever you want it to mean. Coincidence, not caring about fake news, or if you think he became soft by signing this executive order on illegal immigration (the wall was his #1 campaign issue), then it can mean to those block of voters the Trumps don't care about illegal immigrants so don't worry. Of course it also has the added bonus of the media and people on the left unfairly attacking the First Lady.
Last edited by afcjets on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetwet1

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:33 pm

zkojq wrote:

You both have good points, but I can just as easily see it having being done on purpose as a distraction from other White House scandals and to "enrage the libs". If it moves the national conversation onto Melania's outfits and away from insider trading scandals (and everything else that's going on), then that's not a bad thing from Trump's perspective.

Here is the thing, what has she done to "enrage the libs" ???? From the points I have seen her raised, she actually seems to be a pretty decent person, other than her choice in husbands...

BTW, it is very possible I missed something she said or did, I work lots of hours and travel a lot.

salttee

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:35 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
other than her choice in husbands...

ER757

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:58 pm

seb146 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

If she wore the coat on any random day is one thing. But there is something suspect when she wears it and says she is going to visit these traumatized children is more than a coincidence. It would have been hilarious if she had worn it to yet another golfing weekend her husband takes. But, she probably makes something up as to why she can't go with him to his resort that weekend. Like she has to "be best" or something...

Meh - the kids never saw it, the people in Texas never saw it, if the media hadn't splashed it all over the internet it would have been a non-story, which is what I think it is anyway. I'm certainly no fan of her husband, and I think it speaks to her poor judgement that she married a guy like that, so not surprised she made a silly wardrobe choice but at least she (or one of her handlers) had the good sense not to wear it after getting on the plane.

afcjets

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:31 am

Lol, the first lady makes a surprise trip during a huge manufactured media crisis (the key word being media, yes it is a crisis for these families, but wasn't for the media when Obama first put kids in cages) with a provocative statement written on her back, how could the media not splash it all over the internet? Also, it is very strange a woman her age who is not a pop/rock star or perceived rebel would even wear any writing on her clothing at all, it is very juvenille and you rarely see anyone outside of their teens or 20s wear clothing like that, much less a first lady of the US.

It's also possible she never saw it, it was on the back and someone else likely styles her. She might be outraged too.

einsteinboricua

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:55 am

I really want to believe that Melania did this to irk Donald. The problem is that the optics raise more questions than ever:
1. What does she not care about? Her husband seeing her down there? Her outfit? The situation at hand?
2. Who picked out the jacket and said this was acceptable? It is traditional for the FLOTUS to have a fashion advisor if she is to make a public appearance. Unlike men with a standard suit and tie, women have many more ways to make an impression (good or bad) when it comes to a public event.
3. Why do we have differing stories as to what the jacket meant?

The fact that Melania has not wanted to set the record straight herself makes it hard for me to take her side.

afcjets wrote:
... yes it is a crisis for these families, but wasn't for the media when Obama first put kids in cages)
I like how the conservative counter-argument is pointing at when Obama "placed children in cages". Yes, because two wrongs always make a right. Of course, what I've noticed that Breitbart, Fox News, and others have left out is that the 2014 pictures are children that crossed ALONE (without a parent) as opposed to being forcibly separated from their parents after being detained. But sure, Obama is heartless, and because Trump has to outdo Obama, he had to be even more heartless, even though he didn't want to and could have not been.

777222LR

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:56 am

It was 85 degrees in DC that day...do you need a jacket, let alone one that says that? I don't have a problem with someone making a mistake...however, people are employed, and have been employed in past administrations to make sure that these gaffs don't happen. This administration however, seems to employ people to make intentional gaffs. This administration is calculated and smart, but really smart for all the wrong reasons. They try and trick the public at every move. Most of us see through it, but this one really has me. No clue what was going on here. But, we should definitely make a deal out of it, but we may never know.

Also, if this is directed at Trump, why can't they both just act like adults and work it out? What is so wrong with that family?

If we make it out of Trump with a free press, 10 years down the road we will see some serious movie making. (Assuming we aren't embracing this type of BS down the road.)

seb146

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:32 am

ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Meh - the kids never saw it, the people in Texas never saw it, if the media hadn't splashed it all over the internet it would have been a non-story, which is what I think it is anyway. I'm certainly no fan of her husband, and I think it speaks to her poor judgement that she married a guy like that, so not surprised she made a silly wardrobe choice but at least she (or one of her handlers) had the good sense not to wear it after getting on the plane.

It ranks above "OMG!!!! MICHELLE IS SHOWING HER ARMS!!!" outrage. Remember when the right freaked out about that?

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6986019&page=1

Again, Melania actually wearing the coat is a non-story. That part you are correct. But, that she chose to wear this particular coat with this particular phrase for this particular trip is something worth noting.

salttee

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 am

seb146 wrote:
It ranks above "OMG!!!! MICHELLE IS SHOWING HER ARMS!!!" outrage.
I don't see any comparison whatsoever. Melania was making a political statement, because we don't know what the statement was supposed to have been doesn't change the fact that she made a political statement.

seb146

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:28 am

salttee wrote:
seb146 wrote:
It ranks above "OMG!!!! MICHELLE IS SHOWING HER ARMS!!!" outrage.
I don't see any comparison whatsoever. Melania was making a political statement, because we don't know what the statement was supposed to have been doesn't change the fact that she made a political statement.

I know they are different, too. But, to deflect the right says "nothing to see here, move along." The right says "it is the same because Michelle Obama's arms!" and we all know it is not even the same.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Mir wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

This whole administration is a living, breathing DDoS attack. There's just too much crap to cover it all. Hell, the Commerce secretary might well be engaged in insider trading - that would be a non-stop scandal in any other administration, but you barely heard a thing about it because at the same time the government was ripping young children away from their parents purely to make a point (not that I can really fault the media for focusing on that when there are only so many hours in the day).

So I'm not shocked that Melania's jacket isn't getting as much coverage. It's an incredibly stupid thing for her to do, even if you want to take the most charitable explanation and say that she just picked the first thing out of her closet, someone on her staff would have tried to stop her if they were the very least bit competent (and if she had then worn it anyway we wouldn't be talking about the most charitable explanation). It shows a complete disconnect in empathy between what's going on in the country and either her, the White House, or both. But it's still not as bad as other stuff going on. There are still kids who have been disconnected from their parents and the government has no plans to try and get them back together again.

One thing is for sure, however: Michelle Obama, or Hillary for that matter, would have been excoriated for this. Hell, Michelle Obama got crap for wearing a sleeveless dress (because black people showing off their guns makes white conservatives a bit nervous, I'm guessing). So it is at least mildly infuriating that Trump gets to slip all this stuff past the radar and the Republicans indulge him with a smile on their face.

I 100% agree with you. If Michele had worn this, we’d still be hearing about it to this day. Fox News would have dedicated an entire day of reporting on the latest scandal from the Obama administration.