Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

German chocolate cake in crisis

Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:50 am

...because coconut kinda upsets my tummy.

The correct cake instead is lemon cake.

With white frosting; chocolate is too flavorful and steals the show from lemon, whose flavor is awesome on its own.

fr8mech

Re: German chocolate cake in crisis

Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:58 am

Carrot cake is the correct cake, though I’m told if I subtract some pineapple and add an equivalent amount of coconut, I will have a new correct cake. I look forward to the opportunity to test this theory.

Of course, it’s cream cheese icing that tops it.

seb146

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:37 am

What a bunch of sick, sick people. Pineapple, coconuts, and carrots do not belong in cake. Or pizza. Sickos.

Chocolate lava cake. Now THERE is a cake!

tommy1808

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 am

Airstud wrote:
...because coconut kinda upsets my tummy..

get a German chocolate cake instead of a chocolate cake "invented" by someone called German, and there won´t be coconut :)

best regards
Thomas

Jouhou

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:03 am

My favorite available locally

(Princesstårta) my favorite I probably have to go back to Sweden for because I can't pull that off myself and Americans don't know if exists.

BartSimpson

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:22 am

Airstud wrote:
...because coconut kinda upsets my tummy.

With global warming increasing you may soon be able to see coconut trees at our beaches but for the time being there's no coconut in our cakes!

(What is a German chocolate cake anyways - never heard of it?)

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 am

So.

We must now investimagate why the silly, coconut-topped cakes sold in American supermarkets are called "German chocolate" cakes if, as two actual Germans have said, there's nothing German about them :boggled:

Jouhou

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 am

Airstud wrote:
So.

We must now investimagate why the silly, coconut-topped cakes sold in American supermarkets are called "German chocolate" cakes if, as two actual Germans have said, there's nothing German about them :boggled:

Literally because of a guy named German.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_chocolate_cake
Its roots can be traced back to 1852 when American baker Samuel German developed a type of dark baking chocolate for the Baker's Chocolate Company. The brand name of the product, Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate, was named in honor of him.[2]

On June 3, 1957, a recipe for "German's Chocolate Cake" appeared as the "Recipe of the Day" in The Dallas Morning News.[3] It was created by Mrs. George Clay, a homemaker from 3831 Academy Drive, Dallas, Texas.

fr8mech

Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:24 pm

seb146 wrote:
Pineapple, coconuts, and carrots do not belong in cake. Or pizza.

Now, there we agree...not the cake part, the pizza part. The only correct pizza is pepperoni, with a subset of correctness...pepperoni and mushroom.

DocLightning

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Literally because of a guy named German.

Well, there's a thing I learned today. Thank you!

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:53 pm

seb146 wrote:
What a bunch of sick, sick people. Pineapple, coconuts, and carrots do not belong in cake. Or pizza. Sickos.

Carrot cake is decent with the right amount of icing.

Pineapple on pizza: yes!

seb146 wrote:

There IS such a thing as too much chocolate.

LAH1

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:15 pm

A good old fashioned fruit cake, with loads of fruit, and at Christmas the same with more alcohol in it and just marzipan on top - keep the frosting well away. far too sweet.

DocLightning

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Carrot cake is decent with the right amount of icing.

Carrot cake is terrible. The icing and candy carrots are its only redeeming quality.

The ONLY correct cake is my husband's grandmother's sour cream bundt cake made with chocolate chips and a bit of added almond extract. Served with fresh, home-made whipped cream and juiced strawberries.

Fite me. :box:

fr8mech

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:39 am

DocLightning wrote:
sour cream bundt cake made with chocolate chips

I do like me some sour cream cake, but not sure about the chocolate chips. I've lost my taste for chocolate (GASP) over the last year.

But, my carrot cake, with or without the little carrots...well, I've never put the little carrots on it, that could only make it better, is still the most favorite in the house. Instead of vanilla extract, I use a splash of bourbon in the icing.

Aesma

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:29 am

Nothing beats my mother's tiramisù.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:57 am

DocLightning wrote:
The ONLY correct cake is my husband's grandmother's sour cream bundt cake made with chocolate chips and a bit of added almond extract. Served with fresh, home-made whipped cream and juiced strawberries.

Fite me. :box:

Don't you have some losing to do? As far as cakes go, only those that have a moist, spongy interior with hard icing outside are the best.

zkojq

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Glad I got here before any Australians did.

Here is the correct cake:

It's called Pavlova, it's bloody good and it was not invented in Australia. Anyone who tells you otherwise is barking mad. :hissyfit:

DocLightning

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:34 pm

fr8mech wrote:

I've lost my taste for chocolate (GASP) over the last year.

Well, that's just horrifying. Ladies and gentlemen, there are most certainly things worse than death...

ER757

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:34 pm

seb146 wrote:

Agree about almost your entire post - having grown up in the Chicago area, I can tell you you would not be convicted of a crime there if you beat up someone who put pineapple on pizza :lol:
When I was a kid, my Mom made me a chocolate cake for my birthday every year but since I didn't like coconut she would use a plain frosting so it wasn't officially a German Chocolate cake

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 am

I shall have to take a stand against some of the reprehensible anti-pineappular sentiments being voiced by certain un-named posters in this here thread.

For you see, pineapple upside-down cake totally rocks.

Georgetown

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:04 am

This is a non-sequitur (fwiw German Chocolate Cake “GCC” is the correct cake) but my good friend’s family punts around a fruit cake every year that was first given as a white elephant gift in 1947 and continues to be today. It’s in its original tin, wrapped in its original cellophane and looks and feels exactly how it did 71 years ago (or so say the elders).

...anyway, here’s Wonderwall.

fr8mech

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 am

Airstud wrote:
I shall have to take a stand against some of the reprehensible anti-pineappular sentiments being voiced by certain un-named posters in this here thread.

For you see, pineapple upside-down cake totally rocks.

Pineapple, in general, is very good. A pineapple upside-down cake might "rock", but is certainly not the correct cake.

But, pineapple on pizza is vile.

BartSimpson

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 am

fr8mech wrote:
Airstud wrote:
But, pineapple on pizza is vile.

We call them "Pizza Hawaii" here in crisis Germany. Even Italian pizza bakers with little self respect offer them. How are they called overseas?

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am

Yes it's called Hawaiian style over here; it features pineapple and ham or Canadian bacon - neither of which I can eat.

Also you have defamed yes DEFAMED me by somehow making it look like it was I who was voicing the felonious and unacceptable anti-pineappular sentiment that is actually fr8mech's offense yes OFFENSE.

fr8mech

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:23 am

Airstud wrote:
fr8mech's offense yes OFFENSE.

Certainly not the first time I've offended, or been offensive.

SL1200MK2

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Glad nobody invoked red velvet as that was just an annoying fad.

Does cheesecake have a place in this discussion?

Revelation

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:14 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

get a German chocolate cake instead of a chocolate cake "invented" by someone called German, and there won´t be coconut :)

best regards
Thomas

Damn you all!

Now I have cravings for (the actual, non-coconut) German chocolate cake. Makes me think of ( http://www.deisings.com/ , http://www.hvmag.com/Hudson-Valley-Maga ... gs-Bakery/ ) my favorite bakery ever. It's one of the only things I miss about living in Kingston, NY. Certainly my ex-wife isn't one of them! :-) She'd say the same, BTW. Have yet to find a better bakery (or woman either). It was founded in the 60s by a German couple and it's still in the family.

My mom and her family spend the 1940s/50s in Germany and picked up a lot of their customs so I love chocolate cake, carrot cake, and even butter cake (literally cold butter between layers of thin pastry, ends up tasting kinda like eating a stick of butter doped with sugary pastry).

Aesma wrote:

I'm a big tiramisù fan. That's one thing this area still has, a few good Italian bakeries. German, not so much. There's a restaurant here who sends a driver to the North End of Boston every day just to get dessert items. Some times I go to that restaurant just for dessert. It's a good move, IMHO. Nothing like tiramisù with good strong coffee or expresso.

Channex757

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:09 pm

I'll stick to my stereotype and pitch for a Victoria Sponge. The Jamie Oliver type.

There are some austere ones with just jam and they suck. Cream is compulsory and fresh fruit a wonderful addition. Raspberries and Raspberry jam work wonderfully.

Jouhou

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Revelation wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Damn you all!

Now I have cravings for (the actual, non-coconut) German chocolate cake. Makes me think of ( http://www.deisings.com/ , http://www.hvmag.com/Hudson-Valley-Maga ... gs-Bakery/ ) my favorite bakery ever. It's one of the only things I miss about living in Kingston, NY. Certainly my ex-wife isn't one of them! :-) She'd say the same, BTW. Have yet to find a better bakery (or woman either). It was founded in the 60s by a German couple and it's still in the family.

My mom and her family spend the 1940s/50s in Germany and picked up a lot of their customs so I love chocolate cake, carrot cake, and even butter cake (literally cold butter between layers of thin pastry, ends up tasting kinda like eating a stick of butter doped with sugary pastry).

Aesma wrote:

I'm a big tiramisù fan. That's one thing this area still has, a few good Italian bakeries. German, not so much. There's a restaurant here who sends a driver to the North End of Boston every day just to get dessert items. Some times I go to that restaurant just for dessert. It's a good move, IMHO. Nothing like tiramisù with good strong coffee or expresso.

We have a German cafe/bakery in downtown Portsmouth NH, if you ever swing through here.

https://www.kaffeevonsolln.com they roast their own coffee and in my opinion it's by far the best coffee in Portsmouth.

golfradio

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:07 pm

Pound cake topped with Vanilla ice-cream and hot chocolate syrup :yummy:

Moose135

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:39 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Pineapple on pizza: yes!

Heretic!

einsteinboricua wrote:
There IS such a thing as too much chocolate.

Heathen!