Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Colt 45...

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:31 am

...and 2 zig zags, baby that's all we need!

BlueberryWheats

Re: Colt 45...

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:11 am

Zig zags?

Might have to explain that to this UK resident.

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:39 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Zig zags?

Popular brand of rolling papers.

https://youtu.be/r1_TAiLeIO0

tommy1808

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Jouhou wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
Zig zags?

Popular brand of rolling papers.

Guns and weed probably works better than guns and alcohol either...

Best regards
Thomas

jetero

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:07 pm

I thought this thread was about baseball.

fr8mech

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:03 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

I suspect the song is more about that smooth malt liquor, Colt 45 and weed, not the caliber.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_45_(malt_liquor)

seb146

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Last summer, Zima was brought back. I guess there was still some left over and a few places put it back out a few weeks ago. And with it, a whole flood of good and bad college memories. Now, I am looking for St Ides. Just to kind of round out my trip down memory lane. I have looked in three states, only half-heartedly, but not found any.

For the record, if I had been into the whole "Zig Zag" part of life, I would have used a soda can instead, allegedly. Somehow that can happen but I wouldn't know about that.....

Casobs

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
Last summer, Zima was brought back. I guess there was still some left over and a few places put it back out a few weeks ago. And with it, a whole flood of good and bad college memories. Now, I am looking for St Ides. Just to kind of round out my trip down memory lane. I have looked in three states, only half-heartedly, but not found any.

For the record, if I had been into the whole "Zig Zag" part of life, I would have used a soda can instead, allegedly. Somehow that can happen but I wouldn't know about that.....

You should try smoking weed it's fun. It's legal in Oregon too.

Revelation

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:09 pm

fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

I suspect the song is more about that smooth malt liquor, Colt 45 and weed, not the caliber.

Which says...

The label was designed with a kicking horse and horseshoe, a reference to its "extra kick" compared to competing brands.

Listed on the Pabst website as a "Fun Fact", Colt 45 was named after running back #45 Jerry Hill of the 1963 Baltimore Colts and not the .45 caliber handgun ammunition round.

Ya learn something new every day, so it seems.

I've never had it, but when I've seen others drinking it, it's most often in the form of a 40 ounce bottle, usually wrapped in a paper bag.

Back in my college days I had enjoyed quarts of Bud heavy from time to time, usually because they were the most economical way to get an afternoon beer buzz.

The only time I saw Colt 45 being consumed was when I had a summer job working at a factory and some co-workers would go out at lunch and follow the recipe in the first post.

I tried it once but found getting a buzz really made the afternoon drag along.

I decided it was better to save the partying till after work.

These days, am 100% sober, those days are just a memory.

PS: Needing two zig zags usually meant you weren't very good at rolling.

mham001

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Revelation wrote:

True here but you can use up to three papers made longer and wider if you're rolling with tobacco and a filter of some kind. Common in Europe and some in the US, similar to a blunt.

Casobs

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:34 pm

mham001 wrote:
Revelation wrote:

True here but you can use up to three papers made longer and wider if you're rolling with tobacco and a filter of some kind. Common in Europe and some in the US, similar to a blunt.

You've obviously never had a camberwell carrot.

mham001

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Casobs wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Not sure why you say that when I basically described one.

Casobs

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 pm

mham001 wrote:
Casobs wrote:
mham001 wrote:

Not sure why you say that when I basically described one.

3 papers is a whole lot different than 14 papers. It will tend to get you very high.

Jouhou

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Revelation wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Which says...

The label was designed with a kicking horse and horseshoe, a reference to its "extra kick" compared to competing brands.

Listed on the Pabst website as a "Fun Fact", Colt 45 was named after running back #45 Jerry Hill of the 1963 Baltimore Colts and not the .45 caliber handgun ammunition round.

Ya learn something new every day, so it seems.

I've never had it, but when I've seen others drinking it, it's most often in the form of a 40 ounce bottle, usually wrapped in a paper bag.

Back in my college days I had enjoyed quarts of Bud heavy from time to time, usually because they were the most economical way to get an afternoon beer buzz.

The only time I saw Colt 45 being consumed was when I had a summer job working at a factory and some co-workers would go out at lunch and follow the recipe in the first post.

I tried it once but found getting a buzz really made the afternoon drag along.

I decided it was better to save the partying till after work.

Colt 45 was my cheap beverage of choice back in the day. It tastes kinda skunky but halfway through the bottle you stop tasting it anyways. Beats Olde English.

Kno

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 am

I've always found it odd how profoundly unaware of all things hiphop a.net is.

Kno

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 am

... roll roll 83 Cadillac coup deville

mham001

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:44 am

Casobs wrote:
3 papers is a whole lot different than 14 papers.

No it isn't. The only difference in your example is size, not shape, style or results. We just didn't have a name for it. Who decided that?

Kno wrote:

Colt 45 is "hiphop"?

Revelation

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 am

Kno wrote:

That's because there's better things to focus on. Hiphop sucks. It's the Cheez Whiz of music, just like Colt 45 is the Cheez Whiz of beer, something you try once but then move on to better things.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheez_Whiz -- The ingredients list contains "cheese culture" but does not, according to Kraft, actually contain any "cheese":[3]

Kno

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Revelation wrote:
Kno wrote:

That's because there's better things to focus on. Hiphop sucks. It's the Cheez Whiz of music, just like Colt 45 is the Cheez Whiz of beer, something you try once but then move on to better things.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheez_Whiz -- The ingredients list contains "cheese culture" but does not, according to Kraft, actually contain any "cheese":[3]

Again profoundly unaware. Hiphop is as legitimate a genre of music as any and to be a top notch lyricist in hiphop requires some of the most difficult and clever song writing of any genre ever. Nas can tell an intricately detailed story backwords, Mos Def and Common make incredibly personal and clever music that touches the soul. Many use lyrics to paint vivid imagery and create motion pictures through words. Top notch lyricists can write an entire song of double and triple entendres resulting in multiple stories expressed through one song to result in a singular purpose.

How about the art of freestyling? An art of mental sparring - do you have any idea how much genius it takes to create a lyrical master piece off the top of your head? It is an incredible and rare talent.

On the production side, sure many hiphop beats are simple loops with bass but how about innovators like J Dilla or DJ Quik or The Roots or Orangized Noise? Those who understand music theory and incorporate live instruments as well as the fundamental pillars of hiphop?

Hiphop originated from people with nothing, people who couldn't afford instruments, as an art form to evolve dance, increase education in neighborhoods with poor education, and decrease violence by expressing yourself creatively in battle rather than with fists or guns. It is remarkably impressive what the genre has accomplished.

Of course to the untrained ear who only has heard radio singles you'll hear a lot of ignorance and bad production but discrediting hiphop for that is like me discrediting country because I don't know anything about Johnny cash and have only heard the new dim witted country hit about drinking and driving and hooking up with my cousin in an old dodge.

mham001 wrote:
Colt 45 is "hiphop"?

Colt 45 is light hearted comedic rap song by Afro Man, a rapper who makes parody and comedy music (some what like a rap weird al with original tracks) about promiscuous misadventures. This is what the original poster is referring to.

Flighty

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Hip hop has some good/great accomplishments, but I can say I don't think it is that much of a musical genre. I would suggest it is more of a poetry genre. Hiphop is an activity that uses music, like dance.

Colt 45 - "works every time."

seb146

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 pm

I have a music downloading app on my computer. When I hear a bubblegum pop song I like, I will download it. When I search for it, I will only use a few words of the title. I end up with several hits for different songs. Some of them are hiphop songs from "underground" artists. Read: artists that few people have ever heard of. Most of it is great. The words, the beat, the mixing. I can not think of any right off but there are some really talented hiphop artists out there.

Side note: there was a recent study that finds musical exploration stops in a person's early 30s. I am well into my 40s and I still get excited over new songs. And I keep looking for new songs.

Kno

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:18 am

Flighty wrote:
Hip hop has some good/great accomplishments, but I can say I don't think it is that much of a musical genre. I would suggest it is more of a poetry genre. Hiphop is an activity that uses music, like dance.

Colt 45 - "works every time."

I'm glad you appreciate the accomplishments of the genre but you are factually incorrect.

By definition via Merriam-Webster music is:

a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony choral music piano music recorded music

Hip-Hop certainly fits the bill.

There is no rule that says you have to sing to make music and there is no rule that says the tools used to make music in hip-hop are less valid than instruments.

Revelation

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:09 am

Kno wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Kno wrote:

Again profoundly unaware.

Thank you for listing some of the better qualities of rap and listing some of the artists we should give a listen to.

Hopefully I'll make some time and give them a try, but you've hit me at a very busy time with regard to work.

If I wanted to segue into rap, the music industry was trying to make that happen in the 80s. Think of the heavy promotion around Blondie's "Rapture", Run-DMC and Aerosmith redoing "Walk This Way", bands like the Beastie Boys bridging from suburbia into the urban rap scene, etc. I listened and I passed. I know the genre has expanded and improved since, but the basics of the genre just didn't hook me. Too little musicality (i.e. too many sampled loops of other people's music, or record scratches, or simplistic booming bass), and uninteresting lyrical themes (just like country themes don't hook you, inner city life doesn't hook me). Heck, as a "classic rock" fan even before rap became a thing I disliked Aerosmith for the very same reasons: too little musicality and uninteresting lyrical themes, relative to other artists.

And that's in line with my earlier post: I don't need to ingest another genre and set of artists when I have so many that already give me the kinds of feelings that you're representing for rap.

Hopefully you'll reach the point in life when someone else says you're "profoundly unaware" of some pop culture thing and you won't care because you have enough rich and fulfilling things in your life already.

seb146 wrote:
Side note: there was a recent study that finds musical exploration stops in a person's early 30s. I am well into my 40s and I still get excited over new songs. And I keep looking for new songs.

Yes, that's the problem with "studies", they discuss a pattern but don't seem to allow for things that don't fit the pattern.

I know people in their 70s who are still musical omnivores and musical adventurers. The modern era where you can access so much stuff for free or for a cheap monthly subscription certainly enables this.

For me, a lot of music isn't just the songs themselves, it's the memories tied to various songs, like who I was with when I first heard certain songs or what was going on in my life when I heard certain songs. For instance many people have "break up songs" that they used to get through a painful end of a relationship. I have some of those, but I have a lot more of happy memories tied to songs.

So, music becomes a kind of "comfort food", something that isn't enjoyable just because it tastes good, but also because it brings back memories of old days.

I think that's a big factor into why people may become less musically adventurous as they age: the new stuff is facing a deep catalog of old stuff tied to old memories.

It's why we still find lots of "classic rock" stations playing the same songs from the 60s and 70s over and over again. It's also why we see aging acts like Phil Collins, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, etc making good coin doing nostalgia tours.

And when rap / hiphop gets pushed out by something else, there will be plenty of rap / hiphop "oldies" stations and nostalgia tours too. You can count on it.