Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MikeDrop
Topic Author

The Big Split - Thoughts on the Cal 3 Initiative

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:04 am

THE BIG SPLIT - What do you think? Idiocy or genius?

I'm going to vote YES! And, I think that once most Californians think about it, they will support it. Some pundits have said that the Republicans in Congress wont allow California to get three new democrat senators - I don't think this is how it will play out. It is only a lock that the new "California" senators will be democrat. Most likely it will be a wash, with 4 democrat senators (Nor Cal, and Cal) and 2 republican senators - (from Southern California). In the end, I think that when it passes the Republicans in Congress will want to support the majority of Republicans in the new state of Southern California. I also think that the argument that it will be too expensive will not play with the voters.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Mike Drop

EstherLouise

Re: The Big Split - Thoughts on the Cal 3 Initiative

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:15 am

If it means the retirement of Maxine Waters and Dianne Feinstein, I'm for it.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:02 am

No

fr8mech

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:19 am

It's an interesting proposition, and one that has more chance of happening than secession.

I'm all for it. It increases representation, via the addition of 4 senators, and dilutes the concentrated power of a densely populated area.

Article IV, Section 3, paragraph 1 applies. So, the first hurdle is the state legislature in California. Will they go for it?

I know there is a ballot initiative for the split, but will the legislature honor the People's vote? The Constitution says "...Consent of the Legislatures...", not consent of the People. I do find it hard to believe that the California State Legislature would vote to dilute it's considerable influence on the national stage.

I see the US Congress being a much simpler hurdle.

Beardown91737

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:23 am

This proposal completely forgets that the Free State of Jefferson will not be satisfied with being a voiceless part of NoCal, in addition to the Oregon counties that want to be part of Jefferson. As much disdain as I have for NoCal, I have even greater disdain for Texas. I could never allow Texas to be the most populous state in the USA, even though I appreciate their Republican electoral votes.

Just a reminder.. if you cut Alaska in half, Texas would be the third largest state in the USA area-wise.

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:52 am

fr8mech wrote:
Article IV, Section 3, paragraph 1 applies. So, the first hurdle is the state legislature in California. Will they go for it?
I know there is a ballot initiative for the split, but will the legislature honor the People's vote? The Constitution says "...Consent of the Legislatures...", not consent of the People. I do find it hard to believe that the California State Legislature would vote to dilute it's considerable influence on the national stage..

I've read a couple of articles (Ill try to find a link) that say that since the legislature passed the act that enabled initiatives on the ballot it would have the same effect of passing the state legislature. If it does pass, Id wager that the authors of the initiative would take it to court to bypass the legislature. It may not work, but it would probably end up in the Supreme Court. Then who knows what would happen.

Mike Drop

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:55 am

Beardown91737 wrote:
This proposal completely forgets that the Free State of Jefferson will not be satisfied with being a voiceless part of NoCal, in addition to the Oregon counties that want to be part of Jefferson. As much disdain as I have for NoCal, I have even greater disdain for Texas. I could never allow Texas to be the most populous state in the USA, even though I appreciate their Republican electoral votes.

Just a reminder.. if you cut Alaska in half, Texas would be the third largest state in the USA area-wise.

I'd hope that the good folks in Jefferson would realize that splitting the 55 electoral votes into thirds would be good for the country in the long run, given that 18 of them would most likely go republican. They have no voice now, so how could it be any worse?

Mike Drop

Tugger

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:16 am

MikeDrop wrote:
THE BIG SPLIT - What do you think? Idiocy or genius?
[...]
Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Uhh, yeah.. no. Won't succeed (any more than splitting any other state now would) and doesn't solve or fix anything (any more than splitting any other state now would). It pretends to solve something but doesn't, ends up with three weaker states (which is its goal) each still dominated by coastal cities that have little to no connection to the rest of the areas in their state.

Large additional expense, unnecessary and designed to gridlock, divide and weaken the west coast population.

Tugg

seb146

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:22 am

The upside would be the right would no longer "blame" California for border problems. It would be on them since they control the southern most counties.

This will never pass. Cooler heads will prevail. If anything, the right wing counties in Oregon and California will band together and immediately start racking up debt and blaming "liberals" for not giving them enough money for doing nothing.....

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 am

MikeDrop wrote:

I'd hope that the good folks in Jefferson would realize that splitting the 55 electoral votes into thirds would be good for the country in the long run, given that 18 of them would most likely go republican. They have no voice now, so how could it be any worse?

Mike Drop

You know you're a hopeless partisan when 'good for who i vote for' becomes synonymous with 'good for the country'. :roll: But America will be great again already, tho, right?

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:05 am

I wonder how the GOP led Congress would react to this. I'm sure they salivate at the thought of breaking up California, but the boundaries themselves wouldn't be clearly defined, meaning you could end up with 4 more Democratic senators. Not to mention that depending on the division, the whole House could be reapportioned differently so some states could end up losing seats.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 am

MikeDrop wrote:

By that logic, should we also break up Texas into thirds? Sending 13 votes to the Democrats would be good since they have no voice in the state...so how could it be any worse?

Should we break up Florida as well? Why should Florida get so much attention during presidential elections? Break it into safe Democrat and Republican parts and voilà: no more mega swing state!

ltbewr

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:45 am

There has been several proposals to break up California into several states which fizzled out earlier than this one. I tnink the odds of this happening are nil. The total cost of government will go up, the potential massive problems as to access to water will become even worse, politically it won't happen on the Federal level.

mham001

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm

MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

They would be at the complete mercy of the Bay Area.

Jouhou

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Increased representation makes sense.......

But let me be very clear. I can almost guarantee that Russia has their hands in this. Do you want to make your divisions physical, rather than just political? If it's something Russia wou!d want, isn't that rather telling of what the end result would be? An even further divided USA?

Casobs

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Complete waste of time.

It's not going to happen.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Let u[state NY split from Long Island.

Combine RI, CT, and MA into One state.

MD and DE into one state.

That would balance the Senate out nicely. :)

DE and MD to one state.

910A

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm

What do you do with all the state employees now employed? What happens to the state pensions for the retired employees? What about school funding? Roads etc...The Northern counties like Del Norte, Modoc needs the money from the south to help support their counties now. There is no way those counties could afford the tab on the public safety tab of the Highway Patrol, CalFire, State prisons.

LittleFokker

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 pm

California can split as soon as the Dakotas merge...what the hell do South and North Dakota differ on that we need those two to be separate entities?

If Republicans wanna bitch, whine, and moan about bloated government bureaucracies, put your money where your mouth is and start merging red states. The Carolinas could easily be merged too. Kansas and Nebraska are essentially the same state, make that one.

Then you can start talking about splitting up California.

Casobs

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
California can split as soon as the Dakotas merge...what the hell do South and North Dakota differ on that we need those two to be separate entities?

If Republicans wanna bitch, whine, and moan about bloated government bureaucracies, put your money where your mouth is and start merging red states. The Carolinas could easily be merged too. Kansas and Nebraska are essentially the same state, make that one.

Then you can start talking about splitting up California.

It's a Democrat pipe dream. It's not going to happen. California will never split.

910A

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Casobs wrote:
It's a Democrat pipe dream. It's not going to happen. California will never split.

Why do you think this is a Democrat pipe dream? There is nothing I can find that links the Democrat party to this nonsense. It's just another guy that has too much money and thinks he knows better than anyone else.

1337Delta764

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:52 pm

It will be interesting to see how will Congress interpret the results if most voters in one of the proposed states votes Yes while those in another vote No, even if it passes statewide.

einsteinboricua

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:10 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
It will be interesting to see how will Congress interpret the results if most voters in one of the proposed states votes Yes while those in another vote No, even if it passes statewide.

The state as a whole has to vote affirmative. If one of the thirds votes yes, but the state overall voted no, Congress cannot break up the state to satisfy that bloc. While Congress can admit new states to the Union, the territory in question must be under Congress's jurisdiction (i.e. a US territory) or have the blessing of the state it is to split from.

That's why Jefferson state will never be a reality: CA and OR must both approve of it for Congress to admit it.

Dutchy

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:05 am

Don't know the ins and outs of this. There is some research being done what is the optimum size of a population with which democratic rules really work and yet strong institutions are in place. It seems to be around 10-15million, so in that regard, it would actually make sense. But reading this thread I do not think this is a consideration.

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Let u[state NY split from Long Island.

Combine RI, CT, and MA into One state.

MD and DE into one state.

That would balance the Senate out nicely. :)

DE and MD to one state.

MA alone = NE+WY+ND+SD+MT in population. 5 states.

petertenthije

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 am

MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

So basically this is the next step in gerrymandering?

Newark727

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:09 pm

It's a stupid idea.

Kiwirob

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Jouhou wrote:

But let me be very clear. I can almost guarantee that Russia has their hands in this. Do you want to make your divisions physical, rather than just political? If it's something Russia wou!d want, isn't that rather telling of what the end result would be? An even further divided USA?

Do you check for reds under your bed everynight after you put the tinfoil hat on the hat stand?

You can’t blame every shitty thing that happens in the US on Russia. The people you should blame for the current situation are the tens of millions of people who didn’t exercise there right to vote.

seb146

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:06 pm

I find it interesting how they propose to divide the state. There are at least five distinct "states" within California. The Western states have this issue. Oregon has at least four distinct "states" and Idaho and Washington have at least three. I don't see the people in Susanville, Alturas, Bishop, Needles, and Blythe being too happy with this. This is why I don't think it will pass. More of the same. The rural areas will still have zero representation. Something they feel they desperately need. The people are just not there to pay for things like roads, bridges, schools, police, fire.

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Do you check for reds under your bed everynight after you put the tinfoil hat on the hat stand?

You can’t blame every shitty thing that happens in the US on Russia. The people you should blame for the current situation are the tens of millions of people who didn’t exercise there right to vote.

I don't blame Russia for everything. But I do blame them for the recent surge in secessionist movements.

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I don't blame Russia for everything. But I do blame them for the recent surge in secessionist movements.

Do you have any evidence of this? If so please provide.

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:30 pm

seb146 wrote:
I find it interesting how they propose to divide the state. There are at least five distinct "states" within California. The Western states have this issue. Oregon has at least four distinct "states" and Idaho and Washington have at least three. I don't see the people in Susanville, Alturas, Bishop, Needles, and Blythe being too happy with this. This is why I don't think it will pass. More of the same. The rural areas will still have zero representation. Something they feel they desperately need. The people are just not there to pay for things like roads, bridges, schools, police, fire.

Historically, the very rural areas of the desert areas of Southern California like Blythe have had many connections with San Diego. They shared the same area codes for many years.

Take a drive through Bishop and ask any stranger what he/she/ze thinks of Los Angeles and you might change your mind. Perhaps you can find a poll or some evidence to support your theories?

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:47 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Sure, let me Google that for you:

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41853131

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/what ... ts-n614196

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Jouhou wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

#FAIL

You "guaranteed" that Russia is behind the Cal3 initiative, which is the subject of this thread. Then you provide links to articles that talk about the CalExit movement and other separatist movements.

Do you even think about what you post? Or are you hoping that no one will read your bullsh#t links in order to score some points in your head
Either way, typical weak-ass sh#t on your part.

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:57 pm

MikeDrop wrote:

Are you serious?? How can someone be so willfully naive? Have you been asleep?

The facebook page that became the largest pro-Texas secession group was Russian. They even managed to arrange rallies/protests in Houston.

Not just the US, they repeatedly attempt the same thing in Europe, etc.

Let me guess... Fake news.

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

#FAIL

You "guaranteed" that Russia is behind the Cal3 initiative, which is the subject of this thread. Then you provide links to articles that talk about the CalExit movement and other separatist movements.

Do you even think about what you post? Or are you hoping that no one will read your bullsh#t links in order to score some points in your head
Either way, typical weak-ass sh#t on your part.

I thought I was supporting the statement that I blame Russia for the surge in secessionist movements. Oh I see, it's a trap and you just wanted to find a reason to be hostile. Typical.

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Jouhou wrote:

Ahhh - here is where you say that Russia is behind this. In fact - you used the word guarantee.

This being the Cal 3 initiative that is the subject of this thread. I asked for evidence of this, with absolutely zero hostility and you replied with some links that are about a totally different set of issues. That have absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Nothing in the Cal 3 initiative even mentions secession from the United States, or Russia for that matter.

So, are you trolling or just purposefully being dense?

Boom

Mike Drop

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Ahhh - here is where you say that Russia is behind this. In fact - you used the word guarantee.

This being the Cal 3 initiative that is the subject of this thread. I asked for evidence of this, with absolutely zero hostility and you replied with some links that are about a totally different set of issues. That have absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Nothing in the Cal 3 initiative even mentions secession from the United States, or Russia for that matter.

Boom

Mike Drop

I'm pretty sure the word "almost" is the key operator here. As if I was saying I can't guarantee it but I feel a great degree of certainty, even.

The Russia strategy is to simply promote division. When political division starts redrawing maps, Putin creams himself. It's that simple. Also California has too much infrastructure crossing the entire state for this to be a good idea. You'd be splitting your infrastructure.

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Jouhou wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Boom

Mike Drop

I'm pretty sure the word "almost" is the key operator here. As if I was saying I can't guarantee it but I feel a great degree of certainty, even.

The Russia strategy is to simply promote division. When political division starts redrawing maps, Putin creams himself. It's that simple. Also California has too much infrastructure crossing the entire state for this to be a good idea. You'd be splitting your infrastructure.

What a crock of shite. Do you have any evidence that the authors or supporters of the Cal 3 initiative are funded by Russia? Or is this just an attempt to discredit something you disagree with with unsubstantiated accusations?

Put up or shut up

Boom!

Mike Drop

seb146

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:32 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Historically, the very rural areas of the desert areas of Southern California like Blythe have had many connections with San Diego. They shared the same area codes for many years.

Take a drive through Bishop and ask any stranger what he/she/ze thinks of Los Angeles and you might change your mind. Perhaps you can find a poll or some evidence to support your theories?

I have spent time there. Same right wing, evangelical opinions as what I read here. I also grew up in right wing, evangelical eastern Oregon and know the code words and deeper meaning conversations. I don't need polls and some big city media outlet to tell me what to think. I have been there. I have seen it. I have heard it. I am not going to believe polls over my own eyes and ears.

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:35 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Boom

Mike Drop

What a crock of shite. Do you have any evidence that the authors or supporters of the Cal 3 initiative are funded by Russia? Or is this just an attempt to discredit something you disagree with with unsubstantiated accusations?

Put up or shut up

Boom!

Mike Drop

I never purported to be doing anything more than speculation in regards to that. I'm not going to back down on making it clear that redrawing boundaries further weakens us as a nation. It's an idea people need to appreciate more. Unity.

seb146

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Jouhou wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Boom

Mike Drop

Jouhou, seriously: stop with the Russia nonsense. California has talked about splitting for decades. This goes back long before Russia hacked our federal elections and chose the current leadership. IIRC, it was two years ago California talked of splitting into five separate states. It was a bad idea then, it is a bad idea now.

Russia has nothing to do with it.

mham001

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:40 pm

seb146 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Jouhou, seriously: stop with the Russia nonsense. California has talked about splitting for decades. This goes back long before Russia hacked our federal elections and chose the current leadership. IIRC, it was two years ago California talked of splitting into five separate states. It was a bad idea then, it is a bad idea now.

Russia has nothing to do with it.

Wow, seb146 found a poster who makes him seem reasonable and sensible. Well done.

910A

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am

California State Supreme Court kicked this measure off the ballot.

The California Supreme Court decided unanimously Wednesday to remove from the November ballot a measure aimed at dividing California into three states.
In a brief order, the court said it acted “because significant questions have been raised regarding the proposition’s validity and because we conclude that the potential harm in permitting the measure to remain on the ballot outweighs the potential harm in delaying the proposition to a future election.”

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 am

910A wrote:

The California Supreme Court decided unanimously Wednesday to remove from the November ballot a measure aimed at dividing California into three states.
In a brief order, the court said it acted “because significant questions have been raised regarding the proposition’s validity and because we conclude that the potential harm in permitting the measure to remain on the ballot outweighs the potential harm in delaying the proposition to a future election.”

Being a Californian I feel that this state is just too big to govern. But I agree with this ruling - there are some significant issues that should be worked out before something like this should ever be put to a public vote. What would be great is if the politicians in Sacramento would stop for a moment and think about why something like this ever got this far, and try to remedy some of the issues that people who supported it care about.

Mike Drop

TWA772LR

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:06 am

MikeDrop wrote:
910A wrote:

Being a Californian I feel that this state is just too big to govern. But I agree with this ruling - there are some significant issues that should be worked out before something like this should ever be put to a public vote. What would be great is if the politicians in Sacramento would stop for a moment and think about why something like this ever got this far, and try to remedy some of the issues that people who supported it care about.

Mike Drop

Its just an excuse to give the metro areas of LA SF and SD more money because they would each be the largest cities in their respective states.