Airstud
Topic Author

Today I walked around Lake Harriet

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 am

I live in the Lake Calhoun area of Minneapolis, see.

I have therefore had ample opportunities to walk around not just Lake Calhoun, but also Cedar Lake and Lake of the Isles.

Knowing that you were all frustrated by only having three entries on your Lists of Minneapolis-area Lakes Airstud Has Walked Around, today I walked to the south shore of Lake Calhoun and then all the way around Lake Harriet.

Still to come are Brownie Lake - which for my money is much more pond than lake, but in Minnesota everything has to be a "lake" - and Lake Nokomis.

Looking at Google Maps I am not confident that there are foot trails enabling one to walk or bike all the way around Lake Hiawatha. :boggled:

Also I think I saw an indigo bunting.
Pancakes are delicious.

Francoflier

Re: Today I walked around Lake Harriet

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:47 am

New dealer?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

seb146

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:01 am

Slow day in MSP, it sounds like. I still play Pokemon Go. I have captured a few new ones but, the biggest problem is they are mostly water Pokemon. I guess there would be a number of water Pokemon around Minnesota, what with the lakes.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fr8mech

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 am

seb146 wrote:
I still play Pokemon Go

You and my 12 year old, both. No judgement, just wasn't/isn't my thing. Though, I do like spending time with him. If my early years were any indication, he'll lose interest in me shortly.

Airstud wrote:
today I walked to the south shore of Lake Calhoun and then all the way around Lake Harriet.

Just under 4 miles, near as I can tell. Not too shabby. How many times a week do you do such a thing?

You may be right on Lake Hiawatha. Strava doesn't show a path that goes all the way around, but the golf course may be have some paths back there. Though, that may be private property.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
If you want a safe space, go home. If that's not safe, change your home.

jetero

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:12 am

Airstud what do you think about the Moxy Minneapolis Uptown? That was the most bizarre place I’ve stayed in a long time. I think they’ve probably got it right.

I’ve walked from City Hall of Minneapolis to City Hall of St. Paul. Suggest you try that. It’s a 6-8 hour affair.

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Airstud wrote:

Why was it bunting? Man on 2nd with no outs? Squeeze play?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

stlgph

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 pm

someday YOU will be able to stand in front of a Pizza Luce, and look in the direction of God, and see another Pizza Luce.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Tugger

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Airstud wrote:

I have therefore had ample opportunities to walk around not just Lake Calhoun, but also Cedar Lake and Lake of the Isles.

Knowing that you were all frustrated by only having three entries on your Lists of Minneapolis-area Lakes Airstud Has Walked Around, today I walked to the south shore of Lake Calhoun and then all the way around Lake Harriet.

Still to come are Brownie Lake - which for my money is much more pond than lake, but in Minnesota everything has to be a "lake" - and Lake Nokomis.

Looking at Google Maps I am not confident that there are foot trails enabling one to walk or bike all the way around Lake Hiawatha. :boggled:

Well if I recall Minnesota's motto, you have some 9,996 (9,995?) more lakes to go!

Also, you saw indigo bunting? Blue festive decorations? If you want 1337Delta764 to respond you'll likely need to see pink bunting (fuschia might work but I don't know).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

af773atmsp

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Airstud wrote:

Don't you mean Bde Maka Ska? :duck:

I do wonder how many people will refer to is as that.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72

SY, DL, FI, FL, BA, EI, NW, MG, DY, EZY, F9, WN

MSP, BOS, JFK, DCA, LAX, SAN, MCO, RSW, PIE, ATL, DTW, PSP, ORD, MDW, MKE, MCI, IND, NAS, KEF, LHR, MUC, OSL, BOO, CPH, HEL, BUD, AMS, EDI, DUB

seb146

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 pm

I want to see how many lake hikes were covered today. And if Airstud got across I-35. No, that's not it. He was separated from his favorite coffee shop at one point. I hope he moved to get closer to it.

johns624

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 pm

What happened to his obsession for mailing letters from every post office around?

Pyrex

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Did you come across any raccoons while in your walk?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 pm

fr8mech wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I still play Pokemon Go

Airstud wrote:
today I walked to the south shore of Lake Calhoun and then all the way around Lake Harriet.

Just under 4 miles, near as I can tell. Not too shabby. How many times a week do you do such a thing?

You may be right on Lake Hiawatha. Strava doesn't show a path that goes all the way around, but the golf course may be have some paths back there. Though, that may be private property.

Perilakeal walkage isn't actually a usual thing; my slightly more usual thing is to climb the stairs in my apartment building. Five flights, hopefully fourteen times a day, but of course not always. My weekends are Sunday-Tuesday so on Sunday I chillaxed, Monday I did the 70-flight climb once after waking up and once closer to bed time, and somehow I did it again last night even though I was pooped from the lakewalk.

Walking isn't really fat burning exercise, as I understand things - you gotta get your heart rate up. I like it when I'm sweating badly close to the end of my "daily" stair climb, makes me feel like I'm doing something right (without knowing for sure if I actually am :boggled: ).
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:57 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
Airstud wrote:

I saw that. I assumed it was a glitch in Google Maps. Strava referred to it as Lake Calhoun.

Airstud wrote:
Walking isn't really fat burning exercise, as I understand things- you gotta get your heart rate up.

I guess I'll disagree with that. As long as you are taking care of things on the other side (caloric intake), any exercise will result in some "fat burning". Getting your heart rate up will condition your cardio-vascular system, assuming it's not compromised in some other way.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:04 am

fr8mech wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:
Airstud wrote:

I saw that. I assumed it was a glitch in Google Maps. Strava referred to it as Lake Calhoun.

Airstud wrote:
Walking isn't really fat burning exercise, as I understand things- you gotta get your heart rate up.

I guess I'll disagree with that. As long as you are taking care of things on the other side (caloric intake), any exercise will result in some "fat burning". Getting your heart rate up will condition your cardio-vascular system, assuming it's not compromised in some other way.

I expect as many people will call it Bde Maka Ska as earnestly call New York's 6th Avenue "Avenue of the Americas."

Fat burnage: Get heart rate to 75-80% of the difference between your age and 220, is what certimafied personal trainer-types have told me. (And I'm talking ACSM, NASM, or CSCS certified - not talking about "certified" by 24-Hour Fitness, Inc.)
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:24 am

Airstud wrote:
Fat burnage: Get heart rate to 75-80% of the difference between your age and 220, is what certimafied personal trainer-types have told me. (And I'm talking ACSM, NASM, or CSCS certified - not talking about "certified" by 24-Hour Fitness, Inc.)

That's all fine and dandy, but if you're over-weight (not to say you are, I've no clue), but if you're over-weight maintaining that "fat-burning" heart rate for 20+ minutes is a stretch...and, becomes demoralizing when you can't. But walking 3 miles in 45-60 minutes (with a lower heart rate), a few times a week, will get your cardio-vascular system shaping up, start toning up the muscles involved and get your brain used to succeeding in exercise. As time goes on, you start to work harder (walk/run faster or further) to increase heart rate.

I went from barely being able to walk 1/2 mile to running half-marathons in under 2 hours, in the span of 3 years...and dropping 50 pounds.

Don't forget to keep an eye on your intake, if you are into "fat burning".

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 am

fr8mech wrote:

I went from barely being able to walk 1/2 mile to running half-marathons in under 2 hours, in the span of 3 years...and dropping 50 pounds.

:smile:

cONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me, I am mostly already studly but I have a bit of a spare tire showing, which is casinterest's fault for drawing my attention to National Doughnut Day.
Pancakes are delicious.

Flighty

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:19 am

Not a bad day for it, Airstud. An avgeek has plenty to look at in skies over Harriet.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 am

Pyrex wrote:
Did you come across any raccoons while in your walk?

No, the sun hadn't even set yet. (Why would I come across racoonage... :boggled: )

jetero wrote:
Airstud what do you think about the Moxy Minneapolis Uptown?.

Never 'eard of it.

seb146 wrote:
He was separated from his favorite coffee shop at one point. I hope he moved to get closer to it.

?????? :boggled:

johns624 wrote:
What happened to his obsession for mailing letters from every post office around?

Nothing happened to it. It's still in place and robust. :smile:
Pancakes are delicious.

seb146

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 am

Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:
He was separated from his favorite coffee shop at one point. I hope he moved to get closer to it.

?????? :boggled:

I don't know... He posts these threads and I spew either coffee or refreshing adult beverage on my monitor. I don't know. I just know that I can not help myself from looking in on these thread. I am weak. I need help. I am Seb 1 and I am a thread looker inner. :)

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:50 am

I now believe it was an Eastern Bluebird and not an Indigo Bunting.
Pancakes are delicious.

chimborazo

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:01 pm

I flew over Green Lake in Seattle today. Then walked around it after. Well... actually got tired half way round so turned around and walked back.

Then went to Beth's cafe for a giant burger

seb146

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:09 pm

chimborazo wrote:
I flew over Green Lake in Seattle today. Then walked around it after. Well... actually got tired half way round so turned around and walked back.

Then went to Beth's cafe for a giant burger

This made me so happy. I first went to Beth's in 1992 and it has not changed. I usually order off the breakfast menu and it is so good! I will have to go again soon.

vikkyvik

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Airstud wrote:
I now believe it was an Eastern Bluebird and not an Indigo Bunting.

Still slightly odd that various birds and colors were playing a game of baseball by the lake. But I guess it is America's Pastime, and that doesn't specify species of American.

chimborazo wrote:
Well... actually got tired half way round so turned around and walked back.

Which, presumably, would have been the same distance, albeit slightly less interesting, as completing your walk around it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".