seahawk

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:29 pm

In theory England should at least reach the final.

agill

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:55 pm

seahawk wrote:

I think so. And lose against France.

L410Turbolet

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Hrvatska!!!

Revelation

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:45 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Hrvatska!!!

You may have just jinxed CRO!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

Revelation

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Revelation wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
Hrvatska!!!

You may have just jinxed CRO!

And maybe I just jinxed RUS! :biggrin:

Now 1-1 at half time...

noviorbis77

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:15 pm

scbriml wrote:
That was a really solid performance by England. Get in there!

Only England's third WC semi-final in my lifetime and I was a bit too young to remember 1966. The pain of 1990 is still seared into my heart.

OMG, is it coming home?

I do not want to belittle the team of 2018, but that team of 1990 was fantastic. Even a third division made the sqaud (Steve Bull). we really should have won it in 1990. Had we not had curse of penalties, we would have done Argentina in the final.

scbriml

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:21 pm

agill wrote:
seahawk wrote:

I think so. And lose against France.

I can't see France beating Belgium. :shakehead:

I thought Croatia would beat Russia, but they made it much harder than it should have been.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

L410Turbolet

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:42 pm

scbriml wrote:
I thought Croatia would beat Russia, but they made it much harder than it should have been.

I wonder how much Russia paid to FIFA for those two absurd yellow cards to be given to Croatia during the first half?

tu204

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Hell, before the match started my opinion was that it was a job well done. Before I was pretty ashamed of watching the team play - it was always a dissapointment.

This tournament though the Russian team proved that they are on par with the World's best. Hats off. Job well done.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

LDLT

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:46 pm

tu204 wrote:
This tournament though the Russian team proved that they are on par with the World's best. Hats off. Job well done.

They aren't :)
Home turf (especially in these matches) has a massive psychological advantage.
The EURO 2020 qualification starts March 2019, will see how well they perform then.

planewasted

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Kestrel333 wrote:
planewasted wrote:
Time to make the Englishmen cry. Go Sweden!!

If Sweden loses it is not a big deal. If England loses? Oh my....

Not so fast! ;)

Englands worst player was better than Swedens best today. Congrats England. Felt like the Swedish team (and all swedes) was satisfied with getting this far already when the match started.

scbriml

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:55 pm

tu204 wrote:

Been at the vodka, tu204?

FIFA's ranking of 70th is about right.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:58 pm

scbriml wrote:
That was a really solid performance by England. Get in there!

Only England's third WC semi-final in my lifetime and I was a bit too young to remember 1966. The pain of 1990 is still seared into my heart.

OMG, is it coming home?

Away with your optimism, we're not allowed to think happy thoughts.

It was a professional but not overly spectacular win for England, Croatia vs Russia went the distance but luck favoured the Croats a little bit, Modric is probably thanking his lucky stars.

So for the semifinals we have:

France vs Belgium
Croatia vs England

I make France and Croatia favourites, but both should be close. I expect a goalfest for France vs Belgium and for Croatia to make their midfield quality pay, but Croatia are not great at defending set pieces whereas England are great at scoring them. Great semifinal lineup.

In my fairly short lifetime I've only ever known England to underperform and exit tournaments miserably, so this is a pleasant change, regardless of what happens it's been a great and fun time watching and supporting England and an exit to Croatia doesn't change that.

LDLT

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
tu204 wrote:

They will be ranked quite higher than that, next ranking update is July 19th.
Maybe even top 30/top 35.
And then downhill they go as the EURO qualifications start rolling

tu204

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:09 pm

scbriml wrote:
tu204 wrote:

Do the Spanish know that? ;)

P.S. Don't like Vodka, but would go for one right now :D
Based in a "dry" country right now...
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

scbriml

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:11 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Away with your optimism, we're not allowed to think happy thoughts.

Nah, I'm riding the wave of euphoria as far as I can! Too many painful memories - 1990 still hurts.

MrHMSH wrote:
It was a professional but not overly spectacular win for England

But that's the point - we actually played well. Sweden are a very hard team to beat. Previous England teams would have huffed and puffed and gone home.

MrHMSH wrote:
So for the semifinals we have:

France vs Belgium
Croatia vs England

I make France and Croatia favourites, but both should be close. I expect a goalfest for France vs Belgium and for Croatia to make their midfield quality pay, but Croatia are not great at defending set pieces whereas England are great at scoring them. Great semifinal lineup.

I'm going for Belgium vs England for the final.

The thing is, this England team has already surpassed all expectations, which for once were modest to start with. Even if they lose the semi-final, they'll fly home with their heads held high (not trying to sneak in unnoticed).

BartSimpson

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 am

seahawk wrote:

In theory, any team CAN reach at least the final.

My bet is on a Belgium - England final. And then I root for Belgium, just to see another country becoming champion.

Scorpius

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am

Has anyone seen a video of Icelandic fans singing "Kalinka Malinka"?
https://youtu.be/Jfh4P9wDy7c

Russian fans took the response of the Icelandic fans:
https://youtu.be/Q-9FQg9IMrA

David_itl

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:10 am

We are on the cusp of the real golden generation of English football, with the U17s being World Cup Winners, the U19s being European Champions and the U21s being European semi-finalsts. Now World Cup semi finalists. We've just got to find a way of getting the younger English players into the leading clubs first teams without compromising the ambitions of each club owners craving for instant success.

scbriml

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:11 pm

David_itl wrote:
We are on the cusp of the real golden generation of English football, with the U17s being World Cup Winners, the U19s being European Champions and the U21s being European semi-finalsts. Now World Cup semi finalists.

We've had a so-called "golden generation" before but they failed miserably to deliver on the big stage. What I like about this team is that there isn't a megastar with a massively inflated ego. Few, if any, of this team would walk into Real Madrid or Barcelona's sides. But I was very impressed with their professionalism in dispatching Sweden in the quarter-final.

David_itl wrote:
We've just got to find a way of getting the younger English players into the leading clubs first teams without compromising the ambitions of each club owners craving for instant success.

Good luck with that. The clubs would be more than happy if they never had to release players for international duty. They have no interest in trying to help England. :shakehead:

Dutchy

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:27 pm

In the end, the four best teams won in the quarter-final. I hope for an England - Belgium final as well.

Will be exciting match France - Belgium. Belgium was also in the only interesting match in the quarter-final. The others were either one-sided or just generally bad.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Revelation

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:36 pm

scbriml wrote:
Previous England teams would have huffed and puffed and gone home.

Previous England teams would have felt the need to have an aging 'name player' like a Rooney or a Gerrard in the middle of things.

That kind of thinking is what sent many a team home (I'm looking at you, Germany!).

Good on this English team for largely going with younger up and coming players.

steveinbc

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:44 pm

I'm enjoying reading the predictions from 2 and 3 weeks ago. Seems no-one saw Germany exiting so early, England doing so well and the mighty Brazil being beaten by Croatia. I love knock out competitions for the excitement of upsets. My money is on an England v France final. Ah the old rivalries will be fun to watch.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Aesma

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Belgium is a good team but from what I've seen I think my team can beat them.

I've only seen England vs Colombia and was far from impressed by England.

All four teams have good players so it's really difficult to predict what will happen, they've all had difficult matches where they were led then won in the end, so I expect interesting matches.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Freakysh

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am

steveinbc wrote:
I'm enjoying reading the predictions from 2 and 3 weeks ago. Seems no-one saw Germany exiting so early, England doing so well and the mighty Brazil being beaten by Croatia. I love knock out competitions for the excitement of upsets. My money is on an England v France final. Ah the old rivalries will be fun to watch.

Croatia beat Brasil? I must have missed that one :lol:

One of the Croatian coaches gets sent home for posting a pro Ukrainian video after the quarter final :lol:

How pathetic from Russia

scbriml

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Freakysh wrote:
One of the Croatian coaches gets sent home for posting a pro Ukrainian video after the quarter final :lol:

How pathetic from Russia

The blame for that lies entirely with FIFA's rules and Croatia themselves. They sacked the coach and sent him home. Nothing to do directly with Russia that I can see.

Dutchy

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Exciting match: Belgium vs France. Will be quite equal, should be interesting for the neutral viewer.

casinterest

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Well there goes Job productivity for today.

France-Belgium has started.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Dutchy

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm

Damn.......

wingman

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Not sure how that ended up with just one goal scored but I must admit France finally showed its full quality. Belgium came so close many times but still didn't challenge Lloris anywhere as often as France did Courtois. FWIW I think Courtois is arguably the best keeper in the world right now, certainly better than De Gea by a wide margin in the WC at least. He made some truly spectacular saves there, especially in the waning minutes to give his troops some hope.

I'm not sure I see Croatia or England standing up in the finals if France plays like that. It doth pain me so to say it though.

Olddog

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Sorry Dutchy but you know what? I am happy :)

Dutchy

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Olddog wrote:
Sorry Dutchy but you know what? I am happy :)

Good for you.....

Aesma

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Lots of klaxoning here for more than an hour. Still going on sporadically. The Champs Elysées are packed. Third final in 6 cups, not bad. Exciting times !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Jalap

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Aesma wrote:
Lots of klaxoning here for more than an hour. Still going on sporadically. The Champs Elysées are packed. Third final in 6 cups, not bad. Exciting times !

Congrats on reaching the finals! You played a very conservative game, but outclassed us on killer mentality.

Over here in Belgium it's pretty quiet of course. People are very disappointed, but not devestated. Same seems to go for the players, looking at the post-match interviews. Both fans and players shouldn't accept this defeat so quickly. And I guess that's why we lost.
We peaked enormously during the Brazil game, both fans and the team. It's as if it was mission accomplished after that game and nobody managed to go 110% one more time. Still I hope in 20 years time, when we'll again be happy to even qualify for the world cup, we'll remember the great matches we played over this missed opportunity. Because after all, I think the best 4 matches in the world cup so far have been Spain-Portugal, Belgium-Tunisia, Belgium-Japan and Belgium-Brazil. Perhaps also France-Argentina, but I didn't see that game. In any case, I'm quite sure we were the most attractive team in this world cup.

Unfortunately, being attractive doesn't bring home the world cup :(

Now I hope the game for the 3rd place will be Belgium-England. I got nothing against England and they fully deserve to reach the finals. Only, I think Belgium-England would be a brilliant game to watch :)

Aesma

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:52 pm

I'm not a football aficionado but I've seen a commentator say something that will resonate with what you're saying, that in 2016 when France beat Germany at the Euro the team was in "job done" mode and lost against Portugal in the finals, and have thus learned from this.

I also read an article that reminisced about 2002 : before going to the WC people thought a second win was sure to come, to the point Adidas had paid for a ceremony with a jersey sporting 2 stars. A few weeks after that the team came home without having scored a single goal !

jetwet1

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:02 pm

45 minutes..........

Zero work being done today.

noviorbis77

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Come on England

LDLT

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 pm

seahawk wrote:

What theory would that be lol, "The Sun" theory? :lol:
If it wasn't for that early goal Croatia would easily roll through this

Dutchy

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Well done Croatia. Nice play by some individuals. Too bad for my English friends.

zkojq

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 pm

So, what happenned to #ItsComingHome :rotfl: I'm really pleased for Croatia though. They played very well today. Looking forwards to France winning the final.
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

ChrisKen

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 pm

#itfuckedoffonitsholidays - at least the commercial & media wankfest can now end.

I see they still bother with the world's most pointless match on Saturday.

Olddog

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Well France - Croatia should be a very interesting game. The french should be a little less tired but for a world cup final croatians motivation should be at maximum and fatigue forgotten.

Dutchy

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Yes, very interesting match.

noviorbis77

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 pm

No complaints, we were poor on the night. Two soft goals conceded and one shot on target all game.

At least we exceeded expectations in the tournament and with a young team, hopefully onwards and upwards.

France should batter Croatia in the final, but the world cup has been full of surprises.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 pm

zkojq wrote:
So, what happenned to #ItsComingHome :rotfl: I'm really pleased for Croatia though. They played very well today. Looking forwards to France winning the final.

ChrisKen wrote:
#itfuckedoffonitsholidays - at least the commercial & media wankfest can now end.

I see they still bother with the world's most pointless match on Saturday.

Football isn't just about winning, plenty of people get enjoyment from the thrill of supporting their team wherever they may go. As a fan of a team that wins little I'm used to it. It's obviously disappointing, but we got to a semifinal, enjoying a great summer while doing it, and we got to watch an England team that overcame so many of the old hurdles, and went further than anyone predicted, taking a very good team to extra time.

Laugh if you want, but we're proud of our team. The same cannot be said for many of you.

alberchico

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Three freaking 120 minute matches in a row, and Croatia still manage to out-run, out-muscle and out-gun England in ET.

Everytime I've thought they've looked totally gassed, they just keep on running. Deserved finalists.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

lugie

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Really sad about England, I would've loved to see them take it.

Don't want to be that guy but there were some pretty dubious judgments by the ref...
A lot of referees would have given an offensive foul for Perisics high leg during the 1:1. The fact that they didn't even consult the VAR more than surprised me.
Also, someone like Rebic shouldn't have been around for the extra time anymore let alone only get his first yellow card 96 minutes in.

It is what it is though and now there's a final which is promising to be exciting but where I don't have any sympathies for either contestant....
Q400 E175 CRJ9 CRJX A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI FR LA YW IB CM
FRA STR HAM TXL ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT SJO PTY

jetwet1

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm

England were out played for the 2nd half and pretty much all of extra time, the better team won.

Of course how in the hell Kane missed from 2 yards out ?? That will haunt him for a long time, but then we he did look totally out of sync the whole game. Oh well, pretty much a young team that did far better than expected and will be interesting to watch for the next few years.

NIKV69

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:06 am

CROATIA!!!!!!!!!! I love it!
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

ltbewr

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 am

At least Croatia didn't have to go to ET + a kickoff. In ET to win. England was down to 10 players due to injuries but Croatia just kept it going more aggressively (maybe a bit too much so on some of their hits). Who would thought this would be the final match up ? Anyone who put up a large bet on this just hit the jackpot.