rotating14
Topic Author

Iran seeks to sue Boeing.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 am

After the Trump administration cancelled the nuclear pact, Boeing followed suit since the export licenses would be terminated as well. Iran however thinks otherwise.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... for-airbus

According to Press TV, Iranian MP and a member of the country's economic commission, Taqi Kabiri, said on Friday, June 8 that Tehran would pursue the cancellation of the Boeing agreement through international legal and judicial tribunals.

"From the very beginning,، we should have gotten a strong guarantee from the aircraft manufacturer so that they would not be able to easily violate their contracts," he said adding that US President Donald Trump's warning of the "highest level of economic sanction" would not dampen the regime's resolve.

"Nevertheless, such actions will have no effect on our determination and they [the US] cannot harm us in this way," he said.

FA9295

Re: Iran seeks to sue Boeing.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:40 am

Wouldn't they want to just sue the Trump administration?

scutfarcus

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 am

How is this boeing's fault? Sue Donald Trump.

Varsity1

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 am

Iran should sue themselves!
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

airportugal310

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 am

Perhaps they are arguing Boeing had reason to believe this was coming all along and shouldn’t have entered into such agreements? Just a theory. Got no dog in this fight
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

FA9295

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:21 am

airportugal310 wrote:
Perhaps they are arguing Boeing had reason to believe this was coming all along and shouldn’t have entered into such agreements? Just a theory. Got no dog in this fight

That could be true, however, these agreements were likely made a long time ago, and only now are they just getting canceled.

airzona11

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:35 am

There was no law that was signed to make the agreement permanent. Boeing knew that and it was a risk they took entering the deal. Iran knew that and it was a risk they took entering the deal. Obama/Trump, doesn't matter, it would need to have been a law (Congress). This was just a risk of doing business and the downside happened. That is the reality, lawsuits cannot change that.

Next.

Bigstud69

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:04 am

The only solution with Iran is regime change. Anything else is unacceptable.

Floridaguy74656

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 am

Trump did the right thing and so did Boeing. Maybe Iran Air should take the issues up with their radical islamic government. If they didn't behave the way they do these things wouldn't happen to them.

downdata

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 am

Regime change in Iran or the US? I suppose it produce the same result.

QXAS

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 am

Suing Boeing for following the law... sounds legit. Sue Obama for enacting the deal in such a way that it would be revoked the moment a Republican set foot in the White House? Maybe. But Boeing for following the law? Only John Leahy could make that case sell.

Dutchy

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:38 am

Floridaguy74656 wrote:
Trump did the right thing and so did Boeing. Maybe Iran Air should take the issues up with their radical islamic government. If they didn't behave the way they do these things wouldn't happen to them.

Saudi Arabia ok, Iran bad :roll: This will make Iran moving into more radicalism.

Bigstud69 wrote:

Why? Sounds like you would like war?

Varsity1 wrote:

Why? Iran has done their part of that deal, USA wants to withdraw.

Trump is in a hurry to be BFF with a truly despicable regime: Kim regime. Iran is far more complicated and has some good things going for it, if you compare them to North Korea. But I will never be able to comprehend this kind of reasoning, I simply am not of that level.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

aviationaware

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 am

They ordered the planes based on a deal that was not ratified by congress. The Republicans in congress even wrote a letter to Iran stating that they would disable that deal as soon as they could. The Iranians should sue themselves for stupidity.

infinit

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 am

Dutchy wrote:
Floridaguy74656 wrote:

Saudi Arabia ok, Iran bad :roll: This will make Iran moving into more radicalism.

Bigstud69 wrote:

Varsity1 wrote:

Trump is in a hurry to be BFF with a truly despicable regime: Kim regime. Iran is far more complicated and has some good things going for it, if you compare them to North Korea. But I will never be able to comprehend this kind of reasoning, I simply am not of that level.

Same sentiments as "Duchy"..
As an onlooker from across the Pacific, its amazing whenever there's any mention of Iran's aviation here, some folk from the US will always bring in how Iran needs immediate regime change and that nothing else is acceptable with that country.. What's the rationale? That you guys have flattened out Iraq and Afghanistan, so it's time to do the same to the country in between? :confused: Let countries figure out their internal matters for their own! sheesh..

scbriml

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:09 am

infinit wrote:
As an onlooker from across the Pacific, its amazing whenever there's any mention of Iran's aviation here, some folk from the US will always bring in how Iran needs immediate regime change and that nothing else is acceptable with that country.. What's the rationale?

It's the same "rationale" that's made Cuba 'evil' for the last 50-odd years.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Aptivaboy

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:36 am

It's the same "rationale" that's made Cuba 'evil' for the last 50-odd years.

Communism is, by its very nature, evil. History proves that. The kulaks. The gulags. The purges. The reeducation camps. One could go one.

opticalilyushin

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 am

Iran has every right to feel angry, but going after Boeing isn't the solution by any means. On another note there are reports from the CEO of Iran Air about securing 11 Airbus and ATRs before the sanctions are reinstated in August..does anyone know more about this? Or is it just the remainder of the initial 20 ATRs ordered?

Jayafe

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am

Sounds fair. Trump puts sanctions in place, and Boeing decides if honor their contracts or not. As they will not, they are in breach and fully ready for trial. It's not that they're not allowed, they have a choice, and they've chosen to breach the contract. Likely a huge compensation for not following signed business due to a political bias. Boeing again made their bed, now time to sleep in it.

eamondzhang

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 am

I simply love to watch the politically uneducated and biased Americans jumping up and down on any Iranian matter. These guys could never accept the fact that Iran is the strongest country, has far more educated people and much deeper history than any other countries within the region.

This thread is simply derailed by such ideologists. Moderators please lock the thread.

Michael

aviationaware

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am

eamondzhang wrote:
I simply love to watch the politically uneducated and biased Americans jumping up and down on any Iranian matter. These guys could never accept the fact that Iran is the strongest country, has far more educated people and much deeper history than any other countries within the region.

The educated people left Iran in 1979 and are now living in America and Europe. Defending a country ruled by an extremist theocracy that's pumping billions of dollars into terrorism is pretty pathetic of you.

keesje

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 am

They should invite John Bolton over to discuss.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/04/iran-nuclear-deal-bolton-trump-regime-change/558785/

After Iran said it would defend itself against US spy planes, John asked for 'Strategic Response' to these Iranian Provocations. That kind of guy.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

eamondzhang

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 am

aviationaware wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

The educated people left Iran in 1979 and are now living in America and Europe. Defending a country ruled by an extremist theocracy that's pumping billions of dollars into terrorism is pretty pathetic of you.

As if your own country isn't managed by a clown. Double standard at its finest.

Didn't invite you to argue any of these matters nor will waste one more second on you or your nonsense.

Michael

Jayafe

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 am

aviationaware wrote:
Defending a country ruled by an extremist theocracy that's pumping billions of dollars into terrorism is pretty pathetic of you.

I got confused, which of both countries are you talking about now? Cant really spot the difference.

Cerecl

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 am

Floridaguy74656 wrote:

Just because the Iranian regime doesn't like the US doesn't make it radical (compared to some other countries in the ME). They are labelled the bad guys because they are on the opposite site of the conflict with the US's regional partners. If the US can have a normal relationship with Vietnam and Trump can meet Kim, I don't see what Iran did that is so "radical"

leghorn

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:14 am

I'd expect those Iranian Airlines who ordered those planes are as entitled to the protection of contract law as any other purchaser. If they entered a contract with Boeing and Boeing failed to honour the contract then it is simple breach and should be compensated.

blueflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:25 am

Cerecl wrote:
I don't see what Iran did that is so "radical"

Well Iran is a legitimate threat to the US' 51st and most important state, Israel. There's no denying US - Iran relationships would improve significantly if Iran found a way to accept, even grudgingly, the existence of Israel, and acted accordingly.

Whether the US' absolute, unwavering, support of Israel is healthy, for the US or the region, is a matter of great, and separate debate.
Last edited by blueflyer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAGag

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:25 am

infinit wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Floridaguy74656 wrote:

Bigstud69 wrote:

Varsity1 wrote:

As an onlooker from across the Pacific, its amazing whenever there's any mention of Iran's aviation here, some folk from the US will always bring in how Iran needs immediate regime change and that nothing else is acceptable with that country.. What's the rationale? That you guys have flattened out Iraq and Afghanistan, so it's time to do the same to the country in between? :confused: Let countries figure out their internal matters for their own! sheesh..

Problem with Iran is that it's not internal and when some of the favorite past times are chanting "Death To" and funding terrorist past, present and future they don't keep it internal either.

Anybody notice that Iran stopped playing games with our Naval Ships in the Gulf after the last US election.

Them suing Boeing is about as laughable a thing they can do.
Last edited by WaywardMemphian on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jayafe

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:30 am

aviationaware wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
Defending a country ruled by an extremist theocracy that's pumping billions of dollars into terrorism is pretty pathetic of you.

I got confused, which of both countries are you talking about now? Cant really spot the difference.

Then you are pretty dumb.

I can see you were talking about the US now. Thanks.

cougar15

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:42 am

Bigstud69 wrote:

Wonder how long before this thread wanders to non av, but I don´t see it all that clean cut at all. Only the US (with backing from a single other nations) revoked the treaty, whilst the EU and many others are doing their utmost to hold onto the progress that they obviously very strongly see . So we have supposed ´non compliance´ on Iran´s part on the US and one of it´s allies view.I don't think it´s always as simple and black and white as certain posters make it. Anyway, a big loss, both for Boeing and IR!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Cerecl

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:45 am

blueflyer wrote:
Cerecl wrote:

Well Iran is a legitimate threat to the US' 51st and most important state, Israel. There's no denying US - Iran relationships would improve significantly if Iran found a way to accept, even grudgingly, the existence of Israel, and acted accordingly.
Whether the US' absolute, unwavering, support of Israel is healthy, for the US or the region, is a matter of great, and separate debate.

Iran and Israeli hostility goes both ways. There are multiple accounts how the current Israeli PM has drawn up plan to strike at Iran. Pretty tough to expect either country to make peace in this context. Plus, Iran is not the only country in this region that refuse to recognise Israel. I also question if it is healthy for US foreign policy to be so heavily dependent on the perspective of one of its allies. I can't think of any other major country with this degree of reliance/deference

Bricktop

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:46 am

aviationaware wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

Then you are pretty dumb.

He's a troll. Many of us here have learned to ignore him.

Boeing cancelled the deals by operation of law. As usual, only the lawyers will get anything out of this. And of course the demagogues on both sides.

OK, you may now resume the mudslinging.

juliuswong

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:47 am

Iran? Pumping billions into terrorism?? What a joke! Some members here really need history and politics crash courses...pronto!!
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Amiga500

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:48 am

Bigstud69 wrote:

Yep.

Hopefully the US citizens realise they are getting rode by a corporate elite that have completely pulled the wool over their eyes and decide to have a revolution.

Democracy? Only if your blind.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
-- Thomas Jefferson

aviationaware

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am

juliuswong wrote:
Iran? Pumping billions into terrorism?? What a joke! Some members here really need history and politics crash courses...pronto!!

So what are you saying? Are Hamas, ISIS, Hezbollah, PIJ, Al Quaeda and Taliban not terrorist organizations?

I am absolutely disgusted to see several people here seriously blame America for everything while defending the animal regime of Iran.

Amiga500

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 am

Aptivaboy wrote:
Communism is, by its very nature, evil. History proves that. The kulaks. The gulags. The purges. The reeducation camps. One could go one.

Sometimes its better to have people think you might be stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Aside from the fact no political system is inherently good or evil, its the people within it that make it good or evil...

"The USA is, by its very nature, evil. History proves that. Nuclear bombs, the contras, the Shah, Guantanamo bay. One could go on."

Look in the damn mirror.

Bricktop

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 am

Lots of glass houses, lots of stones. Calm down, folks.

Amiga500

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:56 am

aviationaware wrote:
I am absolutely disgusted to see several people here seriously blame Iran for everything while defending the animal regime of America.

Corrected that for you.

I take it you'd like to see a secular, elected democracy in Iran?

blueflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am

Cerecl wrote:
blueflyer wrote:
Cerecl wrote:

Iran and Israeli hostility goes both ways. There are multiple accounts how the current Israeli PM has drawn up plan to strike at Iran. Pretty tough to expect either country to make peace in this context. Plus, Iran is not the only country in this region that refuse to recognise Israel. I also question if it is healthy for US foreign policy to be so heavily dependent on the perspective of one of its allies. I can't think of any other major country with this degree of reliance/deference

I'm not suggesting they make peace or exchange ambassadors or anything that radical. No longer chanting, figuratively and not, death to Israel every five minutes, and not funding terrorist groups trying to blow up the place would make a significant difference already, and take the winds out of the most hardcore members of the current administration.

Neither side is blameless, but one pushes the rhetoric further than the other. That one needs to make the first step. If they want their Boeing orders...
Last edited by blueflyer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAGag

OA940

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Maybe we should change both regimes seeing as neither of them is anywhere near ideal...
A350/CSeries = bae

SC430

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 pm

leghorn wrote:
I'd expect those Iranian Airlines who ordered those planes are as entitled to the protection of contract law as any other purchaser. If they entered a contract with Boeing and Boeing failed to honour the contract then it is simple breach and should be compensated.

Such contracts have clauses dealing with approval of host countries etc. This lawsuit is just a lot of hot air. You are fooling your self to breath any more into it. Not worthy of discussion.

tjcab

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Bigstud69 wrote:

Correct. US Regime change. Stop watching Fox News and educate yourself. That being said, this is an aviation forum, not a political one.

Amiga500

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 pm

tjcab wrote:
Bigstud69 wrote:

Correct. US Regime change. Stop watching Fox News and educate yourself. That being said, this is an aviation forum, not a political one.

You mean Faux News 8-)

Revelation

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

The Cultural Revolution was a massive own goal. Democracies have some explaining to do too. US slave holding, treatment of Native Americans, various attempts to annex parts of Mexico and Canada, for-profit prisons, etc.

Bricktop wrote:
Boeing cancelled the deals by operation of law.

If Boeing didn't have language in the contract that allows them to walk away upon cancellation of export licenses, they're incompetent.

Since I don't think they're incompetent, I think this is a chest pounding exercise.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

speedbird52

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Bigstud69 wrote:

Because that went so well for Iraq.
"I have control" Three Words That Could Have Saved Lives.

SC430

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Revelation wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

The Cultural Revolution was a massive own goal. Democracies have some explaining to do too. US slave holding, treatment of Native Americans, various attempts to annex parts of Mexico and Canada, for-profit prisons, etc.

Bricktop wrote:
Boeing cancelled the deals by operation of law.

If Boeing didn't have language in the contract that allows them to walk away upon cancellation of export licenses, they're incompetent.

Since I don't think they're incompetent, I think this is a chest pounding exercise.

Name me a country that hasn't participated in slavery in past centuries.

speedbird52

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:25 pm

aviationaware wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Yeah no.As of 2013 4.5 million Iranians were enrolled in university.
"I have control" Three Words That Could Have Saved Lives.

SCQ83

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Not a fan of Trump, but Boeing shouldn't have done deals with an evil regime like Iran.

And I think the US government should sanction Airbus and all those EU companies supporting the Iranian regime, like they made recently with ZTE:

https://www.techradar.com/news/zte-reac ... government

Super80Fan

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Good, if Boeing wants to act like a political organization, they should be treated like one. Hopefully when all is said and done Iran comes out owning Boeing.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

lightsaber

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Discuss the topic, not other users. You have been warned.
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

leghorn

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:02 pm

SC430 wrote:
leghorn wrote:

Such contracts have clauses dealing with approval of host countries etc. This lawsuit is just a lot of hot air. You are fooling your self to breath any more into it. Not worthy of discussion.

You have no better view of their contract than I. While I state as an unarguable fact that the purchaser in a contract has certain rights to expect performance you have no grounds to say that the contract can be set aside without any view of the specific text of the specific contract.