Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maortega15
Topic Author

Another suicide; Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:56 am

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/antho ... index.html

Unfortunately, depression is real and people handle them differently than others.

mbmbos

Re: Another suicide; Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 pm

This is heart breaking.

Just saw a meme this morning that said: "Check on your strong friend." I think the gist of it is no one knows who, among friends and family, suffer in silence. So make no assumptions. And make sure everyone you love is in good shape. Check up on them. Let them know you care, let them know they are valued, let them know you're happy to listen.

We've got to break this chain of suicides.

mad99

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Well that’s sad. I liked watching he’s food/travel shows on flights to america.
Rip

maortega15
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:59 pm

I really don't know how to say this, but I'm actually going through my own struggles. I've been miserable for a while now, I've been crying a lot, lack of sleep, lack of appetite, you name it. Fortunately, I am still able to type this right now.

And a word of advice to all of you out there, never tell anyone to let it go or quit dwelling unless you've been in their shoes.

I remember one poster here a while back who knew someone who committed suicide.

cougar15

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:03 pm

that is really sad, RIP!

sccutler

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Sort of an adventure mentor for my wife and me. Big loss.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm

maortega15 wrote:
I really don't know how to say this, but I'm actually going through my own struggles. I've been miserable for a while now, I've been crying a lot, lack of sleep, lack of appetite, you name it.

I'd say that being able to cry shows you can let it all out. It's worse when you can't find an outlet and it eats you up inside.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:24 pm

maortega15 wrote:
I really don't know how to say this, but I'm actually going through my own struggles. I've been miserable for a while now, I've been crying a lot, lack of sleep, lack of appetite, you name it. Fortunately, I am still able to type this right now.

And a word of advice to all of you out there, never tell anyone to let it go or quit dwelling unless you've been in their shoes.

Seriously, go to a doctor. There are ways to fix it and get help. Its a very common and fixable issue.

Airontario

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Probably the most genuine and interesting people on television these days. His ability and willingness to travel to out of the way places, and speak for those whose voices are not usually heard will be missed. He has inspired me to travel more outside my comfort zone, and experience new people, places and foods that I would never have though about previously. I will miss him immensely.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:59 pm

CCGPV wrote:
maortega15 wrote:

Seriously, go to a doctor. There are ways to fix it and get help. Its a very common and fixable issue.

Seriously, please let that be the last comment you make in this thread. Is it common? Yes. Is it fixable--approximately 1/3 of patients suffering from depression do not experience a remission when treated with just medication. Some deal with it. Some don't.

mbmbos wrote:
This is heart breaking.

Just saw a meme this morning that said: "Check on your strong friend." I think the gist of it is no one knows who, among friends and family, suffer in silence. So make no assumptions. And make sure everyone you love is in good shape. Check up on them. Let them know you care, let them know they are valued, let them know you're happy to listen.

Unfortunately suicide is nothing new. A few stats:
Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US for all ages. (CDC)

Every day, approximately 105 Americans die by suicide. (CDC)

There is one death by suicide in the US every 12 minutes. (CDC)

Depression affects 20-25% of Americans ages 18+ in a given year. (CDC)

Suicide takes the lives of over 38,000 Americans every year. (CDC)

The highest suicide rates in the US are among Whites, American Indians and Alaska Natives. African Americans have the lowest rates.

Males are 3 times more likely to die by suicide than females. White men are 70% of suicide deaths.

THS214

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:04 pm

maortega15 wrote:

First of all you are important for many people.

Try to have a good day rhytm.

When you wake up have breakfast a cup of coffee or something. Then take a shower. And after that do things that are important for you. And always ... do only one thing at a time. When you have a breakfast, don`t do anything else. Its a long trip but you wil make it!

Dutchy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:13 pm

maortega15 wrote:

Good of you to tell this. Trust me I know how depression feels, I know it too well I must say. And you can get out of that feeling, just see a therapist or your family doctor.

And for all, don't be afraid to bring up the subject of suicide. You will never plant the idea of suicide in someone's head. The person in question might actually be relieved to speak to someone about it, but indeed be truly prepared to really talk and connect with that person, unbiased.

Dutchy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:22 pm

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
maortega15 wrote:

Seriously, please let that be the last comment you make in this thread. Is it common? Yes. Is it fixable--approximately 1/3 of patients suffering from depression do not experience a remission when treated with just medication. Some deal with it. Some don't.

Best is a combination of medicine and therapy. I do not know where you get your statistic from, but indeed, if you have had a depression episode, chances are that you will have another. That doesn't mean that you can have a great life in between and hopefully you and your immediate surroundings will pick up the signals sooner. That is exactly the message, everyone needs help getting out, and many many will deal with it. So get help!

BTW strangely enough, if you have a deep depression then the chances of committing suicide are minimal, it is actually the people whom claim out of that dark dark hole whom are at risk. It takes initiative and planning to take your own life, and that's what depression takes away.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:48 pm

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
maortega15 wrote:

Yeah, why even try? Wow thanks for the uplifting and positive outlook on his situation. Jeez.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Best is a combination of medicine and therapy. I do not know where you get your statistic from, but indeed, if you have had a depression episode, chances are that you will have another. That doesn't mean that you can have a great life in between and hopefully you and your immediate surroundings will pick up the signals sooner. That is exactly the message, everyone needs help getting out, and many many will deal with it. So get help!

BTW strangely enough, if you have a deep depression then the chances of committing suicide are minimal, it is actually the people whom claim out of that dark dark hole whom are at risk. It takes initiative and planning to take your own life, and that's what depression takes away.

My statistics come from depression treatment research--I'm a psychiatrist, BTW. Approximately 2/3 of patient's will experience a reduction of symptoms/remission within 3 appropriate medication trials. For those that don't there are other treatments such as TMS or ECT (which is actually the most efficacious, something like 80% effectiveness), but those are more time intensive and invasive. Yes you are correct, past episodes predict future.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:51 pm

CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Yeah, why even try? Wow thanks for the uplifting and positive outlook on his situation. Jeez.

Your comment implied that he had not. Which is very insulting to someone suffering from depression. You don't know what treatments he/she has tried, or what they're experiencing.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:52 pm

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Your comment implied that he had not. Which is very insulting to someone suffering from depression. You don't know what treatments he/she has tried, or what they're experiencing.

Yeah, its called being positive and supportive. I was trying to be helpful and positive instead of letting him know he has a pretty decent chance of never digging himself out of his terrible depression for the rest of his life. I was a bad person for trying to give him hope. I apologize.

Amazing.

InnsbruckFlyer

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Admired him all my life. He will be missed. RIP, Tony.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:02 pm

CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Yeah, its called being positive and supportive. I was trying to be helpful and positive instead of letting him know he has a pretty decent chance of never digging himself out of his terrible depression for the rest of his life. I was a bad person for trying to give him hope. I apologize.

Amazing.

Find a different way of wording it. Patient's who suffer from mental illness get told all the time, "just go see somebody about it." "Just talk to someone." "Just deal with it." Or my personal favorite "Just pray it away." What I said regarding treatment efficacy was about medications alone.

Also, I was addressing you, not the person suffering from depression, and I was addressing you as someone who came across as insensitive and condescending to someone by just telling them to go to the doctor--your acknowledged history of trolling works against you here. As I said, you have no idea what treatments that person has tried. Now, as for being realistic with patients about treatment..that's the job of a physician. I have to be direct, and I have to give news that isn't always uplifting. Until you've had to do that job, I'll trust my training over any perception you may have.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:10 pm

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Amazing.

Find a different way of wording it. Patient's who suffer from mental illness get told all the time, "just go see somebody about it." "Just talk to someone." "Just deal with it." Or my personal favorite "Just pray it away." What I said regarding treatment efficacy was about medications alone.

Also, I was addressing you, not the person suffering from depression, and I was addressing you as someone who came across as insensitive and condescending to someone by just telling them to go to the doctor. As I said, you have no idea what treatments that person has tried. Now, as for being realistic with patients about treatment..that's the job of a physician. I have to be direct, and I have to give news that isn't always uplifting. Until you've had to do that job, I'll trust my training over any perception you may have.

I was offering helpful advice for someone who sounded pretty low. I'm not going to break out the DSMV and diagnose or theorize about their treatment history. I was simply offering an initial helpful boost but you've made it about something else now. I apologize for not following the designated psychiatric protocol for initial patient referral to a doctor. The first step in getting treatment IS talking to someone. Most people seeking mental health treatment in the outpatient setting see their personal physician and go from there. Its not bad or crazy advice to give. I'm not going to outline the myriad of treatment options in a simple "you can do it" post. I was making it seem like no big deal because seeking help isn't a big deal. Its not something to worry about or be concerned over because there are lots of options out there but now that you've let him know he has a big chance of not getting any relief I guess that's a good thing. Thank you for your medical insight.

I'm well aware of the hell of depression. The initial step is always to seek help from someone.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:14 pm

CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Amazing.

Also, I was addressing you, not the person suffering from depression, and I was addressing you as someone who came across as insensitive and condescending to someone by just telling them to go to the doctor. As I said, you have no idea what treatments that person has tried. Now, as for being realistic with patients about treatment..that's the job of a physician. I have to be direct, and I have to give news that isn't always uplifting. Until you've had to do that job, I'll trust my training over any perception you may have.

I was offering helpful advice for someone who sounded pretty low. I'm not going to break out the DSMV and diagnose or theorize about their treatment history. I was simply offering an initial helpful boost but you've made it about something else now. I apologize for not following the designated psychiatric protocol for initial patient referral to a doctor. The first step in getting treatment IS talking to someone. Most people seeking mental health treatment in the outpatient setting see their personal physician and go from there. Its not bad or crazy advice to give. I'm not going to outline the myriad of treatment options in a simple "you can do it" post. I was making it seem like no big deal because seeking help isn't a big deal. Its not something to worry about or be concerned over because there are lots of options out there but now that you've let him know he has a big chance of not getting any relief I guess that's a good thing. Thank you for your medical insight.

I'm well aware of the hell of depression. The initial step is always to seek help from someone.

Find.another.way.to.word.it than "seriously, go see a doctor." You may think you're being helpful, but I can assure you, comments like that are often the opposite. The last two lines of your post now...are much more appropriate.

Also, you don't think a 70-80% remission rate is a positive thing?? Maybe you do need my medical insight...because that's a lot better than a lot of medical problems. Again...a physician must be realistic with patients.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 pm

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Find.another.way.to.word.it. You may think you're being helpful, but I can assure you, comments like that are often the opposite.

"Lots of people suffer from depression man. Its something you can easily get help for. Talk to your doctor, talk to a therapist or a friend. Its not a big deal to get help from anyone. Even though according to many doctors there's a pretty big chance its not going to help (33% chance according to our resident mental health physican) at least taking that initial step of talking to a doctor, therapist, or even a friend can often work wonders. There's always hope and help out there.

Sometimes exercise helps. I've found even doing small things every day can help during those very dark times. Brushing your teeth, going for a 5 minute walk or even just getting out of bed can be an accomplishment you can build upon. There's always something to look forward to. Getting help is the first step and most people find talking to their doctor the first step in feeling better."

Is that appropriately realistic and helpful? Or should I warn him about the horrors of medication (TD, ED, body shocks, withdrawls, etc) and ineffective psychotherapy that can further damage their minds and bodies too? What is the appropriate level of just trying to be helpful while warning of the many perils of treatment that can often make depression worse? Its just not worth trying to give someone hope.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:24 pm

CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Find.another.way.to.word.it. You may think you're being helpful, but I can assure you, comments like that are often the opposite.

"Lots of people suffer from depression man. Its something you can easily get help for. Talk to your doctor, talk to a therapist or a friend. Its not a big deal to get help from anyone. Even though according to many doctors there's a pretty big chance its not going to help (33% chance according to our resident mental health physican) at least taking that initial step of talking to a doctor, therapist, or even a friend can often work wonders. There's always hope and help out there.

Sometimes exercise helps. I've found even doing small things every day can help during those very dark times. Brushing your teeth, going for a 5 minute walk or even just getting out of bed can be an accomplishment you can build upon. There's always something to look forward to. Getting help is the first step and most people find talking to their doctor the first step in feeling better."

Is that appropriately realistic and helpful? Or should I warn him about the horrors of medication (TD, ED, body shocks, withdrawls, etc) and ineffective psychotherapy that can further damage their minds and bodies too? What is the appropriate level of just trying to be helpful while warning of the many perils of treatment that can often make depression worse? Its just not worth trying to give someone hope.

I can't argue with the first bit, with the exception of your passive-aggressive swipe at me. The second bit, is not your job unless you're the physician recommending treatment. I don't answer questions about chemotherapy or surgical procedures, for example. Again, that was me, addressing you in what came across as a very condescending and unhelpful way of speaking to someone experiencing mental illness. The rest of it you're extrapolating on your own.
Last edited by luckyone on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:29 pm

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I can't argue with the first bit. The second bit, is not your job unless you're a physician. Again, that was me, addressing you in what came across as a very condescending and unhelpful way of speaking to someone experiencing mental illness. The rest of it you're extrapolating on your own.

Everyone deals with and reads things differently. To assume it was an unhelpful post is not a good thing. How do you know his state of mind or what types of encouragement he needs? I've seen enough therapists and doctors in the mental health field to know half of them don't know what the hell they're talking about. Personally I found that making treatment seem like no big deal and an easy thing to approach was helpful so that's why I worded it like I did. When I was suicidal and depressed I felt it was such a huge hurdle to overcome, that people would judge me and to see a doctor and it was this big thing to do. After experiencing it I learned it was "easy" and no big deal to take that initial step. Its not a big deal to see your doctor. Its easy to get started down the road to help. That's why I said it the way I did. I didn't want to point out the perils of treatment or anything. Just making it seem like no big deal, not something to worry about or be ashamed about. Just go see your doc and see what you can come up with but you think I was being cold. Don't assume.

CitizenJustin

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:29 pm

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
maortega15 wrote:

mbmbos wrote:
This is heart breaking.

The highest suicide rates in the US are among Whites, American Indians and Alaska Natives. African Americans have the lowest rates.

Males are 3 times more likely to die by suicide than females. White men are 70% of suicide deaths.

Since this spate of high profile suicides, I’ve been reading statistics on articles and they say suicide is up 30% from 1999 and the percentage is even more striking the further you go back. What do you think is contributing to such a large rise?

Kiwirob

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 pm

mbmbos wrote:
This is heart breaking.

Never going to happen as long as people populate the earth.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:40 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

mbmbos wrote:
This is heart breaking.

Since this spate of high profile suicides, I’ve been reading statistics on articles and they say suicide is up 30% from 1999 and the percentage is even more striking the further you go back. What do you think is contributing to such a large rise?

There are a lot of theories. Some people cite a movement away from organized religion. One is the massive campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan resulting in a larger number of veterans, who are at higher risk for suicide. Another being the recession in the last decade resulted in a lot of young people with diminished prospects (death of the American dream is how some people put it), economic stagnation in a population that historically has seen their economic prospects grow since World War 2 (I'm specifically talking about white males here), and massive amounts of debt, and older individuals who lost their security and are hopeless. Some people say the significant migrations in the last 25 years disrupted family and community networks and as such people feel more isolated, which results in less support when they become depressed. Some people say it's related to the proliferation of firearms. There's also the opioid crisis, as what a lot of people don't know about opioids is they cause depression--about 2/3 of patients who receive opioids for more than 3-6 months will have some sort of measurable mood effect, and ironically many develop what's called "opioid-induced hyperalgesia" wherein they actually become more sensitive to pain. One of my own opinions is that healthcare has reached a point where it's capabilities can keep you alive, without actually contributing to the quality of life, and in many cases makes it worse. Now, obviously I cannot and will not make that decision for anyone else, but due to our health literacy as a society being low results in some interesting things. Speaking only for myself, but after having watched resuscitations and seen the hell people live with while receiving treatments, there will be limitations to what I allow done to me if I'm not able to make the call myself.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:41 pm

mham001 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

I don't know where you're coming from but YOU are the insulting one here. I saw no such implication and what gives you the right to speak for the depressed?

How about this: I'm a psychiatrist? I treat depressed people? I've been treated for depression and anxiety myself? I've had family members with serious mental illness? Maybe I know a thing or two about it and how people with the illness are treated by others? Pick one.

mham001

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:41 pm

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I don't know where you're coming from but YOU are the insulting one here. I saw no such implication and what gives you the right to speak for the depressed? ~25% of the US posters here can speak for themselves, thank you.
Last edited by mham001 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:50 pm

luckyone wrote:
mham001 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I don't know where you're coming from but YOU are the insulting one here. I saw no such implication and what gives you the right to speak for the depressed?

How about this: I'm a psychiatrist? I treat depressed people? I've been treated for depression and anxiety myself? I've had family members with serious mental illness? Maybe I know a thing or two about it and how people with the illness are treated by others? Pick one.

So you know how a stranger on the internet feels? You know what they want to hear and the language they identify with? You know the types of encouragement or kind words they need to hear right now? Wow.

That's a pretty dangerous and unhelpful stance to have as a mental health professional. I think its bad form for anyone, especially a mental health expert to operate.

As a patient of numerous psychiatrists through the years bragging about being one doesn't mean a thing to me. Most of them want to have weekly hour or two long sessions and then write some prescriptions. See you next week!

I talked to him like I would have wanted to be talked to when I was in the depths. I made it seem like no big deal. Not something to worry about. Not a massive undertaking or an overwhelming experience. Just take one simple step today in the right direction.

But instead you brought in negative statistics and the perils of treatment. I know that would have made me feel like "Whats the point? Things are so bad already knowing my luck I'd be the 30% who will end up suffering anyway. This doctor himself said it! Why try?"
Last edited by CCGPV on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mham001

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:54 pm

luckyone wrote:

How about this? I have deep personal experience with it myself and an ability to see it in others - some friends whom I know never had doctor visits.

IN NO WAY was the advice to "go see a doctor" insulting or even a bad suggestion.

Please don't pretend to speak for all of the depressed - it is quite condescending, and insulting.

luckyone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:21 pm

mham001 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

How about this? I have deep personal experience with it myself and an ability to see it in others - some friends whom I know never had doctor visits.

IN NO WAY was the advice to "go see a doctor" insulting or even a bad suggestion.

Please don't pretend to speak for all of the depressed - it is quite condescending, and insulting.

How about don't ask me what my qualifications are for speaking about depression, and then talk around them when I provide them and they prove that I know what I'm talking about? How about you re-read what I wrote, and you'll see that advising someone to seek help was never discouraged.

CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:
mham001 wrote:

So you know how a stranger on the internet feels? You know what they want to hear and the language they identify with? You know the types of encouragement or kind words they need to hear right now? Wow.

That's a pretty dangerous and unhelpful stance to have as a mental health professional. I think its bad form for anyone, especially a mental health expert to operate.

As a patient of numerous psychiatrists through the years bragging about being one doesn't mean a thing to me. Most of them want to have weekly hour or two long sessions and then write some prescriptions. See you next week!

I talked to him like I would have wanted to be talked to when I was in the depths. I made it seem like no big deal. Not something to worry about. Not a massive undertaking or an overwhelming experience. Just take one simple step today in the right direction.

But instead you brought in negative statistics and the perils of treatment. I know that would have made me feel like "Whats the point? Things are so bad already knowing my luck I'd be the 30% who will end up suffering anyway. This doctor himself said it! Why try?"

Did I say anything about knowing how a stranger feels? I specifically said we DON'T know what he may or may not have tried or has experienced as part of his illness, and as such I found a problem with the way you worded your suggestion. As suggested, you were able to reword, and as I said, I didn't find any fault with that. So...we found some common ground. What I said when asked, was I know how it feels, and I know how my patients very often feel because they tell me. I'm glad you have sought the help you felt you needed, and your experience as a patient is entirely valid. But yes...I do know language that can be unhelpful toward patients, whether you give that any value or not is up to you, as I'm not bragging, but when someone asks me my qualifications, I shall provide them. I deal with this every day, folks. It is my job to discuss the facts with patients, I can't help if they aren't convenient, would you expect any less of an appointment with any other physician? I'll leave it at this: I've spent many an hour in an airplane, which makes me qualified to comment on the seats, and the experience...that doesn't make me a pilot qualified to fly the thing.

Dutchy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:53 pm

luckyone wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
luckyone wrote:

My statistics come from depression treatment research--I'm a psychiatrist, BTW. Approximately 2/3 of patient's will experience a reduction of symptoms/remission within 3 appropriate medication trials. For those that don't there are other treatments such as TMS or ECT (which is actually the most efficacious, something like 80% effectiveness), but those are more time intensive and invasive. Yes you are correct, past episodes predict future.

Since you are a professional, how should we deal with someone close we suspect to have suicidal thoughts? What could one do for a loved one suspecting of depression.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Step One: Don't argue incessantly in front of the person seeking help.

No, I'm not a doctor, but I saw this episode of ER. Trust me - this arguing isn't helping.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:55 pm

CCGPV wrote:
maortega15 wrote:

Not addressing the wild and crazy lifestyles of the Music/Film/TV world, or the "J Paul Getty" wealthy heirs lives here....

Yet, people with the most financial access to the "best" help, like Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade, still succumb.

It's also a reminder to my inner-self, that foolish part of me, that might imagine, that IF, I could have commercial success, and/or fame, or, travel the world, and wine and dine, that, I would be happy and fulfilled, and, nothing could get me "down." ---WRONG---

ltbewr

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 pm

While we have seen 2 'famous' and financially well off persons have taken their own life recently, 100's of others do so every day. I think some factors include the massive difficulty realizing a problem, the fear of embarrassment, affects with family, friends, employment; the costs out of pocket, the difficulty in getting good help or determining a definitive problem and how to treat it; the expanded use of powerful drugs that don't always work or may make things worse.

2707200X

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:39 pm

This is so sad and a shock, I have been watching him since No Reservations began in 2005 and I have been watching him ever since then. I loved how he combined cooking with out-of-the-way travel to places outside of the regular tourist traps. My thoughts are with Asia Argento and all of those who knew him. RIP Anthony.

airnorth

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:35 pm

Boy, what a crappy thing to wake up to this morning. My partner and I have been fans of his work for a while now, and really enjoy each new episode, and re-runs, plus she has a real crush on the guy, super sexy I think to a lot of people.
Interesting story teller, loved his perspective on life, and just how down to earth he seemed. I never got the sense that he was pretentious in any way.
I have been listening to CBC radio all morning , to the many interviews of acquaintances, colleagues, and a local Chef that had a random encounter with Tony some years back, and they all speak of him as sort of your everyday man, with of course many talents.
Wish we could have met him, wish we could have shared a meal and a drink together.
Personally very sad, very sad that we will never hear anymore of his great stories, or see the world from his perspective, and of course, our hearts ache for his family and friends.
This thread has already taken a weird online argument turn, but I would encourage anyone that feels they need help to seek it from a medical professional in person or even on the phone.

RIP Tony, you will be dearly missed.

787Driver

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Never heard of him before, but RIP.

OMP777X

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 pm

maortega15 wrote:

I believe you may be referring to me. I had lost a friend Wilvy to suicide a few years ago. I started a thread here to help find relief from the guilt I felt after thinking I should've seen it coming. I really hope you open yourself up to the idea of therapy or counseling if you don't go down the doctor route. Please check out resources local to you or look on the web at sites like suicidepreventionlifeline.org if you find your sadness becomes overwhelming and you need an outside source of help.

Anthony Bourdain was truly a great human and I really enjoyed his work. This is a really sad day for his loved ones and fans of his, like myself. Suicide is really never the answer.

Best,

OMP777X

texdravid

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:45 pm

How can you do this to your young kid?
Lots of people struggle, have financial hardship, crappy jobs, crappy relationships and health issues but they keep fighting all their life because for people like Anthony their pain is over but for his daughter it’s just beginning.

I’m sure he had health problems that lead to his mental issues. He always was a heavy smoker, drinker and drug user. He was not a hero. He’s a guy that went around the world and traveled and had a life that few could even dream about.

I think a lot of these people are committing suicide because society is being separated from family, religion, and long term stable jobs, which are the three biggest anchors on life to keep us even and grounded and secure.

bagoldex

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:24 pm

Delete

WildcatYXU

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:47 pm

bagoldex wrote:
If I wanted a butcher's opinion, I'd have asked a butcher. How many kills this week, Attila?

You may not like what he wrote, but Texdravid has a point to certain extent. I'm one of the people he's talking about. My life is upside down since Sept. 2015 when Mrs. Wildcat was diagnosed with breast cancer. When that problem calmed down, I became ill myself. Subacute endocarditis. At one point I was quite close to dying. The whole thing resulted in heart surgery this March. To add insult to the injury, 2 weeks before my surgery my employer handed me the pink slip. And yet the idea of suicide never occurred to me. Quite the opposite, I'm recovering from the surgery, doing my rehab and at the same time I'm working on starting my business. So you have to excuse me, but I'm somewhat not capable to understand the motives of a person who's successful and probably financially sound and yet he (she) decides to finish it.

That said, I really liked Anthony Bourdain and will miss his shows. Rest in peace.

salttee

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:57 pm

@Wildcat
The point here is that neither you nor Texdravid knows anything about depression, yet Texdravid is passing judgement on Bourdain as I am sure he has passes judgement on thousands of other cases where he had no clue of what another person really faced. And you stick up for Texdravid.

Everyone has strong beliefs about depression, yet few people actually know anything about it. I wish that all those people who know nothing about the disease would STFU!

texdravid

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
If I wanted a butcher's opinion, I'd have asked a butcher. How many kills this week, Attila?

You may not like what he wrote, but Texdravid has a point to certain extent. I'm one of the people he's talking about. My life is upside down since Sept. 2015 when Mrs. Wildcat was diagnosed with breast cancer. When that problem calmed down, I became ill myself. Subacute endocarditis. At one point I was quite close to dying. The whole thing resulted in heart surgery this March. To add insult to the injury, 2 weeks before my surgery my employer handed me the pink slip. And yet the idea of suicide never occurred to me. Quite the opposite, I'm recovering from the surgery, doing my rehab and at the same time I'm working on starting my business. So you have to excuse me, but I'm somewhat not capable to understand the motives of a person who's successful and probably financially sound and yet he (she) decides to finish it.

That said, I really liked Anthony Bourdain and will miss his shows. Rest in peace.

Great story of perseverance and will.
I am pulling for you and good luck.

salttee

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:11 am

texdravid wrote:
Great story of perseverance and will.
And I assume from that post in this thread that you believe that the people who suicide lack perseverance and will power?

NIKV69

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:26 am

So shocked this morning. Sat behind him on a JFK-LAS flight couple of years ago. Up close in person he looked terrible. I am sure some of it was drugs but who knows what demons he had.

MaverickM11

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:03 am

luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
maortega15 wrote:

mbmbos wrote:
This is heart breaking.

Not to derail the thread but this is why I thought Kate Spade’s suicide was so shocking—you just never here about women. Nonetheless terrible to hear both for her and Anthony. They both seemed like extraordinary people.

CCGPV

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:08 am

luckyone wrote:
mham001 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

How about don't ask me what my qualifications are for speaking about depression, and then talk around them when I provide them and they prove that I know what I'm talking about? How about you re-read what I wrote, and you'll see that advising someone to seek help was never discouraged.

CCGPV wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Did I say anything about knowing how a stranger feels? I specifically said we DON'T know what he may or may not have tried or has experienced as part of his illness, and as such I found a problem with the way you worded your suggestion. As suggested, you were able to reword, and as I said, I didn't find any fault with that. So...we found some common ground. What I said when asked, was I know how it feels, and I know how my patients very often feel because they tell me. I'm glad you have sought the help you felt you needed, and your experience as a patient is entirely valid. But yes...I do know language that can be unhelpful toward patients, whether you give that any value or not is up to you, as I'm not bragging, but when someone asks me my qualifications, I shall provide them. I deal with this every day, folks. It is my job to discuss the facts with patients, I can't help if they aren't convenient, would you expect any less of an appointment with any other physician? I'll leave it at this: I've spent many an hour in an airplane, which makes me qualified to comment on the seats, and the experience...that doesn't make me a pilot qualified to fly the thing.

You dismissed what I said because you ASSUMED it was flippant towards his plight. You then proceeded to "educate" me about the perils of treatment and how its not very effective for a large portion of the population when all I was doing was trying to make the guy feel like there was hope. Congrats.

Hopefully you show more patience and forethought with your patients than what you did here today. Sometimes letting people express themselves without being corrected is OK. Nobody cares that you're a doctor. People care about being listened to, not lectured about the in's and outs of an illness or "how you handle it day to day" like you say.

Sheesh. Next time I'll just ignore someone seeking help just in case I don't say the correctly worded answer. Is that ok with you, Doctor?

luckyone

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:14 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

mbmbos wrote:
This is heart breaking.

Not to derail the thread but this is why I thought Kate Spade’s suicide was so shocking—you just never here about women. Nonetheless terrible to hear both for her and Anthony. They both seemed like extraordinary people.

So, women are actually more likely to attempt. They just use less immediately lethal means than men. Women attempt via means such as an overdose, carbon monoxide poisoning, or cutting. They're usually found or are able to call for help, whereas men tend to either use a firearm, or suicide by cop, which is truly terrifying.