Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:28 am

Its actually National Nail Polish Day.
Stay curious

Airstud

Re: hey girl, hey

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:57 am

Hey girl
What's your name, girl?
I've been lookin at you and every guy here is doin' the same, girl.

- Billy Currington
(from a lyric containing a most vital comma)
Pancakes are delicious.

seb146

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 am

Can we make Miss Vanjie references and jokes? I mean we can, anyway, but is it more thoughtful this month?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

vrbarreto

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:43 am

You've got the words in the wrong order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpKCqp9CALQ

jetero

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Why isn't there a Straight Pride Month?

stlgph
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:00 pm

seb146 wrote:
Can we make Miss Vanjie references and jokes? I mean we can, anyway, but is it more thoughtful this month?

As long as you are wearing fabulous shoes, post whatever you want here.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

seb146

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:06 pm

stlgph wrote:
seb146 wrote:

As long as you are wearing fabulous shoes, post whatever you want here.

That is my specialty, so I guess every day is Vanjie Pride Day!

jetero

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:52 am

TSS wrote:
jetero wrote:

There are actually 11 Straight Pride Months: July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, and May.

Not to worry, I’ve been a card-carrying Juner since 1998.

TSS

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:55 am

jetero wrote:

There are actually 11 Straight Pride Months: July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, and May.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Bigstud69

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:19 am

stlgph wrote:
it's june 1.

happy pride month and whatever.

kisses, bitches!

Rotten.

jetero

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:23 am

Bigstud69 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
it's june 1.

kisses, bitches!

Rotten.

One word at a time, BigStud. You’ll get there.

seb146

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:56 am

Bigstud69 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
it's june 1.

kisses, bitches!

Rotten.

Which part? That people are born gay, bi, trans or that we have to keep reminding people that we are still fighting for equality or that you might encounter something that you have had the privilege to do for centuries?

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:57 am

Gays walking to Pride

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

777222LR

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am

jetero wrote:

Well, when you feel like people are judging you, threatening you, calling you names for walking down the street, simply holding hands with your partner, we will definitely give you a month. Until then, please enjoy your privilege. And, be thankful you don't need a month to be recognized. :-) Enjoy.

stlgph
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:00 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Gays walking to Pride

work. turn to the left.
work. now turn to the right.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:07 pm

cvgComair wrote:
777222LR wrote:
jetero wrote:

Well, when you feel like people are judging you, threatening you, calling you names for walking down the street, simply holding hands with your partner, we will definitely give you a month. Until then, please enjoy your privilege. And, be thankful you don't need a month to be recognized. :-) Enjoy.

Scroll up boys

cvgComair

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:07 pm

777222LR wrote:
jetero wrote:

seb146 wrote:
Bigstud69 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
it's june 1.
kisses, bitches!

Rotten.

Which part? That people are born gay, bi, trans or that we have to keep reminding people that we are still fighting for equality or that you might encounter something that you have had the privilege to do for centuries?

:bouncy:
Next: CVG-BOS (Delta Air Lines MD90), BOS-AMS (Delta Air Lines A333), AMS-CPH (KLM B738)
A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

OA412

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:55 pm

This thread is meant to celebrate pride month, not discuss Masterpiece Cakeshop. If you'd like to discuss the Supreme Court's ruling in that case, please start a separate thread. Thank you!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

CCGPV

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:56 pm

Seeing its pride month what sort of things have the gay people of the forum had to overcome? Any specific instances of discrimination?
Stay curious

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:14 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Seeing its pride month what sort of things have the gay people of the forum had to overcome? Any specific instances of discrimination?

Now we can all celebrate by revisiting all those happy instances of discrimination for the sake of ... well ... CC’s social experiment.

Nah, I’ll take a pass ...

seb146

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:23 pm

CCGPV wrote:

I have some level of respect for you guys, but why would I want to relive 15+ years of pure hell?

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:24 pm

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

I have some level of respect for you guys, but why would I want to relive 15+ years of pure hell?

So CC can either argue in his “moderate” way that it wasn’t discrimination, cite other examples of non-gay people discriminated against, or otherwise entertain himself, of course.

727LOVER

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:35 pm

If Oprah and Lady Gaga were both drowning, who would you save?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

seb146

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:37 pm

jetero wrote:
seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

So CC can either argue in his “moderate” way that it wasn’t discrimination, cite other examples of non-gay people discriminated against, or otherwise entertain himself, of course.

IIRC, at one point, CC said she was a woman, but I still think it is several people, one of whom is a woman.

I have actually had some thoughtful and well rounded conversations with CC here. I just need to figure out which person on CC's end is watching this thread LOL

CCGPV

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 pm

seb146 wrote:
jetero wrote:
seb146 wrote:

IIRC, at one point, CC said she was a woman, but I still think it is several people, one of whom is a woman.

I have actually had some thoughtful and well rounded conversations with CC here. I just need to figure out which person on CC's end is watching this thread LOL

Jetero is obsessed with every post I make. Its bizarre. I don't play his insult game like he does so it must annoy him. That's fine.

And I'm just one person- I just keep ribbing you because you think I'm some group, haha. Its just me, I promise. My whole MO is to approach each individual thread as a completely different entity. I can leave my biases and opinions at the door when I enter a thread so it might seem like I have lots of different opinions, which I do. I'm not staunchly in any camp and have some pretty varied opinions depending on the subject. I don't blindly support either side or issue. If I see people ganging up on one side I'll try and debate the other just for the sake of keeping it interesting and sharpening my understanding of the issues. Sometimes its a good way to learn about those you vehemently disagree with.

People like Jetero (and you to some extent) don't do that, but that's fine. I really enjoy the back and forth. I'm glad you do to. Its all fun.
Stay curious

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 pm

CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Jetero is obsessed with every post I make. Its bizarre. I don't play his insult game like he does so it must annoy him.

That’s right CC.

Post 10,976 that remains unanswered. What did you call that? A pivot? Hmmmmmm ....

CCGPV

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:26 pm

jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Jetero is obsessed with every post I make. Its bizarre. I don't play his insult game like he does so it must annoy him.

That’s right CC.

Post 10,976 that remains unanswered. What did you call that? A pivot? Hmmmmmm ....

How do you find out the post number? I must have missed it can you link it here?
Stay curious

seb146

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 pm

CCGPV wrote:
And I'm just one person- I just keep ribbing you because you think I'm some group, haha. Its just me, I promise. My whole MO is to approach each individual thread as a completely different entity. I can leave my biases and opinions at the door when I enter a thread so it might seem like I have lots of different opinions, which I do. I'm not staunchly in any camp and have some pretty varied opinions depending on the subject. I don't blindly support either side or issue. If I see people ganging up on one side I'll try and debate the other just for the sake of keeping it interesting and sharpening my understanding of the issues. Sometimes its a good way to learn about those you vehemently disagree with.

People like Jetero (and you to some extent) don't do that, but that's fine. I really enjoy the back and forth. I'm glad you do to. Its all fun.

Some of your posts are worded like a college aged woman, some like a college aged man, some like me, a middle aged man. So, I have to wonder. And I joke about it because I know I am silly for thinking that you are more than one person.

I do like seeing other sides of debates, too. My problem is when the other side starts making demands. "I know this one thing to be true because I heard it once a long time ago" type thing. That is something that both sides do. And I have done it.

There were a couple of posters on this forum that forced me to provide proof. I respect them for doing that. It makes me read and expands my mind.

As far as reliving my past, I don't want to. I have talked about a few things on this board but I don't go into detail because why? Those bad things made me who I am. I learned and know who I do not want to be.

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:34 pm

CCGPV wrote:
jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

That’s right CC.

How do you find out the post number? I must have missed it can you link it here?

It’s a mathematical constant greater than one times the number of posts you make.

CCGPV

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:36 pm

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Some of your posts are worded like a college aged woman, some like a college aged man, some like me, a middle aged man. So, I have to wonder. And I joke about it because I know I am silly for thinking that you are more than one person.

I do like seeing other sides of debates, too. My problem is when the other side starts making demands. "I know this one thing to be true because I heard it once a long time ago" type thing. That is something that both sides do. And I have done it.

There were a couple of posters on this forum that forced me to provide proof. I respect them for doing that. It makes me read and expands my mind.

As far as reliving my past, I don't want to. I have talked about a few things on this board but I don't go into detail because why? Those bad things made me who I am. I learned and know who I do not want to be.

Completely fair. Its your right to have those experiences for yourself. Some people feel talking about hard times is therapeutic and others feel like its best to move on or be private about them. Whatever works for you is the correct action to take.

And I might not demand sources but I do challenge you (and others) by playing "the other side" and making you debate and "prove" your point. Maybe I strengthen it, maybe I make you think, and maybe it makes you mad sometimes but that's part of growth. Some people mistake that for something else but that's on them I guess. Learn by understanding I guess.
Stay curious

777222LR

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm

CCGPV wrote:

Sure:

Beaten up for being gay
Ousted from my family for being gay
Conversion therapy that I did not agree to as a teenager
Told I would certainly die of AIDS from both my family and friends
People's misconceptions about gay people
Watching others be beaten up
Witnessing people drive by a gay bar and throw eggs at gay people
Watching facebook comments when companies say they support gay pride
Being called a pervert, fag, somehow not equivalent to a "real man."

And, I've had it easy. Literally children are thrown out of their homes for being gay, taken in by other adults. All of this is discrimination. And sure, bad things happen to good people, but it's widespread towards a particular group of people for things they have no control over. Similar to how people cannot control the color of their skin.

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 pm

777222LR wrote:
Sure:

Beaten up for being gay

Phew, with a list like that, I guess you should be thankful you weren't asked to bake a cake for a straight couple. Oh the horror!! Can you imagine the injustice?!

CitizenJustin

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm

CCGPV wrote:

Growing up in Kansas was exceptionally difficult. I’m biracial and gay, so that’s two strikes there. I also went to an all white surbuban school, so all of these things created a perfect storm of absolute hell and still impacts my life today.

Of course I was bullied every day, pushed into lockers, had things thrown at me on the bus, called both racist and homophobic slurs, threatened, condemned to hell by religious students and so on. I was also kicked out of a Christian camp my cousins invited me too for being unlike the other boys.

This was all very traumatic, but my family is extremely supportive and I had good counseling from psychologists to ensure I didn’t end up like so many unfortunate lgbt kids. Compared to others I know who were kicked out and abandoned by family, beaten and a list of other horrific things, I consider myself lucky.

I’m still alive, kicking and stronger than ever and I’m proud of myself for making it through.

CCGPV

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:10 pm

777222LR wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Sure:

Beaten up for being gay

And, I've had it easy. Literally children are thrown out of their homes for being gay, taken in by other adults. All of this is discrimination. And sure, bad things happen to good people, but it's widespread towards a particular group of people for things they have no control over. Similar to how people cannot control the color of their skin.

Its terrible you went through all that. Do you feel things are changing in the USA for the better? Do LGBT kids nowadays overall have a better experience you think?
Stay curious

CCGPV

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:11 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

I’m still alive, kicking and stronger than ever and I’m proud of myself for making it through.

That's a great attitude to have. Much better than those who treated you like they did.

Its not on the same level but I empathize with you about the religious camps. I had similar experiences with being chastised and run out.
Stay curious

CitizenJustin

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 pm

CCGPV wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

That's a great attitude to have. Much better than those who treated you like they did.

Its not on the same level but I empathize with you about the religious camps. I had similar experiences with being chastised and run out.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

What’s your story? Seems the message of love they preach only applies to certain people.

CCGPV

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate it.

What’s your story? Seems the message of love they preach only applies to certain people.

Nothing traumatic really it just cemented my disdain for the judgmental religious folks. Went to summer camp with my friend thinking it was going to be awesome. Turns out it was a Baptist Christian camp. I was raised in an atheist but open minded household so I went in ready for whatever. I expected it to be fun summer camp with some churchy stuff thrown in but it was full on sunrise service praise the lord damnation to all sinners type thing. Awful. I was the constant target for conversion. I ran away on the 3rd day and called my parents for a rescue at some random restaurant a couple miles down the road.
Stay curious

CitizenJustin

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:38 pm

CCGPV wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Nothing traumatic really it just cemented my disdain for the judgmental religious folks. Went to summer camp with my friend thinking it was going to be awesome. Turns out it was a Baptist Christian camp. I was raised in an atheist but open minded household so I went in ready for whatever. I expected it to be fun summer camp with some churchy stuff thrown in but it was full on sunrise service praise the lord damnation to all sinners type thing. Awful. I was the constant target for conversion. I ran away on the 3rd day and called my parents for a rescue at some random restaurant a couple miles down the road.

Wow, that’s actually kind of creepy. Glad you got out.

CitizenJustin

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:23 pm

CCGPV wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Since he didn’t answer your question about if things are changing, I’ll chime in. They absolutely are. I know gay kids who attend the same school I did and they say they aren’t bullied at all. They are tremendously lucky. I think my class was one of the last where the old guard still stood, but as time goes on, things have become easier for many kids. Now I’m not saying everywhere, because we still hear horrible stories, but in general they’re better.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:34 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Since he didn’t answer your question about if things are changing, I’ll chime in. They absolutely are. I know gay kids who attend the same school I did and they say they aren’t bullied at all. They are tremendously lucky. I think my class was one of the last where the old guard still stood, but as time goes on, things have become easier for many kids. Now I’m not saying everywhere, because we still hear horrible stories, but in general they’re better.

Its amazing how times change I remember in highschool 15+ years ago it was still extremely taboo to be openly gay. It was nothing to hear epithets and things like that. I don't recall any fellow students being openly gay. Today it seems like high schoolers don't really care nearly as much as they did then. There's still a long way to go but the social stigma seems to be declining a lot every year. Its great.
Stay curious

bagoldex

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:41 pm

So LA, Boston, DC and Philly Pride this weekend, Providence and Chicago next and San Francisco and New York the weekend of the 22nd. Anyone partaking in the festivities over the next few weekends?

seb146

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:52 pm

bagoldex wrote:
So LA, Boston, DC and Philly Pride this weekend, Providence and Chicago next and San Francisco and New York the weekend of the 22nd. Anyone partaking in the festivities over the next few weekends?

PDX Pride is the weekend of Father's Day and I think SEA is the weekend after. And, no, we will not be attending. There are none near us and we have to work.

I think Pride Month should be a time of education and not just getting drunk and dancing. We need to educate people as to why we need Pride Month. Stonewall and The Upstairs Lounge and Matthew Shepperd and the countless others who came to the same end for no good reason other than who they love.

jetero

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 pm

seb146 wrote:
I think Pride Month should be a time of education and not just getting drunk and dancing. We need to educate people as to why we need Pride Month. Stonewall and The Upstairs Lounge and Matthew Shepperd and the countless others who came to the same end for no good reason other than who they love.

And there definitely should be lots and lots of CAKE

seb146

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:00 pm

jetero wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Bad gay! Carbs! oh, wait.... different cake.... nevermind :)

jetero

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:04 pm

seb146 wrote:
jetero wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Definitely the carby godless kind

seb146

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:23 pm

jetero wrote:
seb146 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Definitely the carby godless kind

My bad. I guess we know where my mind is.

Although, I do love sugar and chocolate....

RetroRoo

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:00 pm

CCGPV wrote:
If I see people ganging up on one side I'll try and debate the other just for the sake of keeping it interesting and sharpening my understanding of the issues. Sometimes its a good way to learn about those you vehemently disagree with.

Pride month isn’t an opportunity for LGBTQI people to relive trauma for the benefit of you “sharpening your understanding of the issues”. I mean, what a breathtaking display of arrogance and privilege.

The information is there, you have access to the greatest collection of knowledge in human history, I suggest you use that rather than using us. It’s not “all fun”.

Happy pride, Americans.

bagoldex

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 pm

seb146 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

PDX Pride is the weekend of Father's Day and I think SEA is the weekend after. And, no, we will not be attending. There are none near us and we have to work.

I agree wholeheartedly. Much of the younger generation(born after 1992-5) seems to have no clue in that regard but it's a delicate subject and somewhat difficult to broach in what is expected to be a fun and festive event.

Bigstud69

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:06 am

Only thing that should be celebrated in June is Chick-fil-A.
Also there are only two genders and you can't change them.