Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YVRLTN
Topic Author

What cargo van? (Canada)

Mon May 21, 2018 4:06 am

I am looking to buy a cargo van for light delivery work, finding it really tough to find a website which weighs up the pros & cons.

Heres the criteria

1) The bread & butter will be small parcels and general freight within city limits, but there will be some long distance highway work too so want it and me to be comfortable, bearing in mind lots of mountains outside the city too. Ability to take a pallet or 3 or large crate is not essential, but gives me extra flexibility and revenue earning opportunities.

2) Cheap as possible, but needs to be reliable - value for money basically and best return on investment / revenue earning opportunities

3) MPG - gas has hit $1.61/l here, down to 1.55 right now but still very high

I am leaning towards a used Transit Connect size as that is the size required to fulfill the basic contract, plus it is cheaper to procure & run. But the Sprinter which I have driven is nice for the long hauls and I have been advised that there is greater revenue potential in not only being able to take more at once, but opens up options to take bigger & heavier freight which I simply would have to turn down otherwise, and can be more lucrative particularly for long haul hotshots. Basically, the extra revenue you can earn exceeds the higher acquisition and running costs.

Any personal experiences with Transit Connect vs NV200 vs Promaster City?

The Metris would be perfect, but is too new and way outside of my budget.

Another option to throw into the mix is the Caravan cargo, but hear lots of horror stories about them breaking regularly, particularly transmission. The Chevy HHR is also an option, can be had very cheaply, but maybe a bit too small.

Another option is to go for an older Econoline or Express/Savanna which are significantly less to purchase, which compensates the higher fuel burn. I already drive a V8 pick up and $160 to fill up after 500 kms is getting tough to sustain. But that would give me the extra size for further revenue opportunities without the cost of the new Euro based vans.

I think a Transit / NV / Promaster are probably out of the question as they are also too new and therefore beyond by budget. There are now older Sprinters available, but they are high mileage - any specifics things to look out for?

Any opinions / person experiences welcome.

Aesma

Re: What cargo van? (Canada)

Mon May 21, 2018 4:15 am

Never heard of the Metris, I see it's the same as the Vito, which is not new at all here.

So you're going to do random deliveries in a small van, I didn't know that job existed ?

I've only driven French brand vans so I can't help you. I don't associate a van with comfort though.

seb146

Mon May 21, 2018 4:36 am

I have heard the Transit Connect vans are top heavy so they don't corner well. That was probably the older versions. I have also heard the NV200 weigh more.

flyingsikh

Mon May 21, 2018 7:25 am

A ballpark budget would help.

Do you need a dulley or SRW?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Mercedes-Ben ... 3&showVs=1

I’d think a sprinter (dodge or Benz) would be good for reliability.

An older ford or GM you’d probably be sinking money into.

Deliveries usually need to be done in a timely manner....breakdowns don’t help in that regards.

You could even find an older dodge caravan that’s been gutted out...or gut it out yourself. In that regards you remove the rear seats from any minivan, be it a Honda Odessa, Toyota Sienna, etc..

WIederling

Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm

seb146 wrote:
I have also heard the NV200 weigh more.

In Germany the NV200 is said to be a fuel guzzler.
( we may have funny ideas about fuel economy though.)

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 2:56 am

flyingsikh wrote:
A ballpark budget would help.

Under $10k or under $300 a month, but I dont want it dragged out for years.

basic idea is after not long you put the money it makes to one side, pay it off and upgrade to newer and better, maybe a couple times over.

Aesma wrote:
Never heard of the Metris, I see it's the same as the Vito, which is not new at all here.

So you're going to do random deliveries in a small van, I didn't know that job existed ?

I've only driven French brand vans so I can't help you. I don't associate a van with comfort though.

Yes, as an owner operator for trucking companies. The Sprinter is comfortable enough for a long haul. Calgary is a 12 hour drive from here.

flyingsikh wrote:
Do you need a dulley or SRW?

No

WIederling wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I have also heard the NV200 weigh more.

In Germany the NV200 is said to be a fuel guzzler.
( we may have funny ideas about fuel economy though.)

LOL, here it is about the most economical! But I hav heard it is quite underpowered, particualrly on hills and has a restricted cargo weight. If I am going to be driving through the mountains on a regular basis - if anyone has heard of the Coquihalla - it sounds like it will be ragged to shreds in no time. And it is unlovably ugly.... not that its a factor.

ltbewr

Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 am

The FCA Ram ProMaster is larger inside than its competitors, there are a lot more dealers than with M-B or some other brands and could be available used from ex-fleet sales. You may have to go to specialized dealers in used light trucks or vans or main brand dealers with substantial involvement with vans.

Gemuser

Thu May 24, 2018 2:54 am

3) MPG - gas has hit $1.61/l here, down to 1.55 right now but still very high

Wow what cheap fuel! Try about $US5-6 per US gallon

Gemuser

Bongodog1964

Thu May 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Don't know what Sprinters are like in Canada, but here in the UK they are renowned for rust on the body work,

dmg626

Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Pro master , good fuel economy, rear doors open wide to allow a pallet to be set inside with a forklift, comfortable on long rides (have been in one for 1,000 mile plus trip) Negatives, small fuel tank, software upgrades and recalls for nuisance issues that seem to have me back at dodge dealer about once every 3 months.

mham001

Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 pm

Since you mentioned older vans, I have heard some great reviews from users of the Chevy Astra. Lighter than the frame vans but very reliable and old enough to be cheap.

Another option is a small or mid-sized truck with a shell. Plenty of those doing what you want in my area.

Of course, Amazon drivers are using their cars in my area too....