Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Hong Kong Trip Advice

Sun May 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Hey everyone! I'm going to go on vacation in June and HKG has been on my wishlist of places to visit for as lpng as i can remember and id love to make it happen. Im looking at being there 3-4 days and would love advice on things to see and do, especially free hiking (ive been looking at hikes in HK and they are not free nor cheap at that). Id also love to do a day in Macau; how much/frequent/long is the ferry and do they have hiking there too?

Lastly, would I be able to buy a CX model (preferably A340) in the airport in HKG??

Thank you so much in advance! :)

CCGPV

Re: Hong Kong Trip Advice

Sun May 20, 2018 11:30 pm

Take a ferry to one of the smaller islands away from the throngs of tourists. Doesn't matter which one- there are tons. Lots of hiking and small little places to eat and explore on any of them. It literally doesn't matter which one you pick.

Francoflier

Mon May 21, 2018 12:08 am

Hiking maps can be bought at government offices and are quite cheap. I must say that June is not the best season for hiking as it gets mighty hot and rainy...
If you only have to do one, climb up the Lion Rock.

Ferries to and from Macao leave every 15 minutes all day. Nothing easier.

There is a shop at the airport that sells CX models, but I doubt they have the 340 as it is getting hard to come by. You might have to look up the locations of a shop called '80M' (model shop) and look there...

Anyhow, PM me later as I don't have much time now and I'll happily give you more tips on what to do!

Kno

Mon May 21, 2018 2:14 am

I was there for a similar amount of time in January, I thought Victoria's Peak was amazing. It gets touristy especially if you take the tram, so be aware of very long lines. We skipped the tram and just took an uber up for very little money, a lot of people don't realize you can get there by car.

I didn't do a ton of nature hiking because I never had been to Hong Kong and wanted to explore the city. We stayed at the Bishop Lee Hotel which seemed like the best value for affordable hotels in HK. Great view over looking the buildings and the water, easy access to public transportation, and at the bottom is a wonderful park with tons of walking and sights to see.

Here is a blog I used to help me for my stay in HK - it is specifically tailored for a 3-4 day stay. The blogger does a great job of recommending a mix of urban and nature activities, popular sights worth seeing and off the beaten path

https://leaveyourdailyhell.com/three-days-in-hong-kong/

I really enjoyed visiting the various markets on the island and mainland side, exploring random parks and nature around the city, the park where the old Kowloon Walled City was, victorias peak, and trying delicious street vendor food as well as dim sum, lots of dumplings, and the joy hing roasted meat restaurant, and if you like to have a drink or party at night there is plenty of that as well. Public transportation and uber in HK is so easy but we also probably walked 5-10 miles a day just to see the city by foot! Stuff we wanted to do but didn't manage to squeeze in includes going to a small fishing village to look around and checking out a floating restaurant.

Hong Kong was more beautiful, colorful, vibrant, clean, convenient and friendly than I had ever imagined. I was so impressed. Happy to answer any other questions if you need. HKG is a wonderful airport too. A great view of the action from almost any gate and endless widebodies from all over the world flowing in and out.

zakuivcustom

Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Lastly, would I be able to buy a CX model (preferably A340) in the airport in HKG??

There is a small toy shop there that have some CX models. I don't recall a A340, though (IIRC they have a few 747s, alongside the usual A330/777s).

West Main Toys is my go-to place for aircraft model in Hong Kong: (It's in a residential building, so it can be hard to find. But they pretty much have everything you can imagined).
http://www.westmaintoys.com/en/about.php

I personally wouldn't really recommend 80M Model Shop, their selection is small (They mostly sell bus models), although there are two near West Main Toys. There may be a few hobby shops that have some (not necessarily a big selection, though) airplane models along Sai Yee Street in Mong Kok or Kwong Wah Street in Yau Ma Tei.

Kno wrote:
I was there for a similar amount of time in January, I thought Victoria's Peak was amazing. It gets touristy especially if you take the tram, so be aware of very long lines. We skipped the tram and just took an uber up for very little money, a lot of people don't realize you can get there by car.

Second this. There is also a bus that goes all the way up to the Peak from Central Ferry Pier (NWFB Route 15) if you want to go cheap also.

As for Hiking - not sure what you mean by "non-free hiking" when there are plenty of trails that you can use for free. Along with Lion's Rock, the other scenic hiking trail would be Dragon's Back in SE Hong Kong Island (Although it can be crowded during weekend). On the other hand, June is definitely not a time where you hike in Hong Kong - unless you like walking outdoor at 33-35 Celsius alongside 80% humidity :white:

Aeroflot777

Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 am

Kno wrote:

I, too, was there recently for a few days. Instead of tram/car, I opted to hike up. Woke up at 7am to do it, and well worth it to beat the crowds and get some amazing morning views. Plenty of trails that go up there and you can loop around so you don't have to go up the same way as coming down. If you are in good shape, as I trust you are since you are asking about hikes, definitely use your feet to get up there.

Overall, I enjoyed Kowloon way more than the north side of Hong Kong Island. I didn't get any authenticity of the city from the latter. Just a bunch of bars and restaurants that looked similar to any other metropolis. Kowloon has so much to offer, it was a packed 3 days trip. And like fellow member Kno has mentioned, just walk everywhere instead of using transport. You'll get a great feel for the city.

tommy1808

Wed May 23, 2018 4:40 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Second this. There is also a bus that goes all the way up to the Peak from Central Ferry Pier (NWFB Route 15) if you want to go cheap also.:

That bus is nothing for people that get car sick though. And I mean at all, not just easily.
I think the Tram is fine, just like you have to be on those double decker streetcars, but once is enough.
If the sky is clear and you can get a window table, the bubba gumb up top is neat. Lots of better food choices in that city though.
For hotels I liked the Butterfly on Waterfront hotel for the bay view, back then I think it was edge hotel, but the rooms are tiny even by hk standards.

Best regards
Thomas

zakuivcustom

Wed May 23, 2018 5:56 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Second this. There is also a bus that goes all the way up to the Peak from Central Ferry Pier (NWFB Route 15) if you want to go cheap also.:

That bus is nothing for people that get car sick though. And I mean at all, not just easily.
I think the Tram is fine, just like you have to be on those double decker streetcars, but once is enough.
If the sky is clear and you can get a window table, the bubba gumb up top is neat. Lots of better food choices in that city though.
For hotels I liked the Butterfly on Waterfront hotel for the bay view, back then I think it was edge hotel, but the rooms are tiny even by hk standards.

Best regards
Thomas

It's just an alternative :rotfl: . Actually, if one wants to really get car sick there's also the Green Minibus Route 1 going to The Peak from Hong Kong Station in Central. As authentic of an Hong Kong experience as it can gets (Ok, they can't exactly go way overspeed on those Toyota Coaster nowaday :cry2: ).