Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pyrex
Topic Author

Should France be stripped of the 1998 World Cup title?

Sat May 19, 2018 3:13 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... 623327002/

Michel Platini, one of the most odious and corrupt figures to ever grace world football (and that is saying a lot..), has finally admitted what most people knew (or at least suspected) for a while - the draw for the 1998 World Cup (held in France) was rigged to make sure France did not have to play against the favorites, Brazil, until the final (also, had an easy group and knock-out rounds). Given the admission, should France be stripped of the World Cup title? Is it possible to strip a team of the title but maintain the individual players as winners?

CCGPV

Re: Should France be stripped of the 1998 World Cup title?

Sat May 19, 2018 3:24 am

So wait. You're telling me the once head of FIFA was involved in match fixing and general fraud?

I am shocked.

NIKV69

Sat May 19, 2018 3:32 am

No, Whether what he is saying is true France played amazing to beat Italia, and expose how bad Brazil's goalie to win. They deserve it.

nwadeicer

Sat May 19, 2018 4:13 am

I'm in the category of "who gives a shit" Soccer is without a doubt THEE most boring sport invented. Sportscenter could fit 10 entire seasons into it's top ten moments and still have 29 minutes of air time to fill.

Olddog

Sat May 19, 2018 6:44 am

He is not saying that France fixed a match. He is merely saying that, as all other countries that organized a world cup, he influenced the draw to get Brazil in final, if both team could reach that step. And if you think that it is the only country organizing the world cup that did it that way, you need a reality check :)

Read that: https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actuali ... ini/902407
thru google translate?

Dutchy

Sat May 19, 2018 6:49 am

No, football is corrupt, we all know that, just look at the Qatar world cup 2022 or Russia 2018. This case is minor I would say. In the end the best team won, so no France should not be stripped.

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

nwadeicer wrote:
I'm in the category of "who gives a shit" Soccer is without a doubt THEE most boring sport invented. Sportscenter could fit 10 entire seasons into it's top ten moments and still have 29 minutes of air time to fill.

What in the world is the game you call soccer? :lol:

But, ok, you do know that football is the number one sport in the world, most competitive etc. Billions around the world have a lot of fun with that. I am sorry you can't understand the game.

Olddog

Sat May 19, 2018 6:50 am

nwadeicer wrote:

And yet, it is the world most popular sport....

Obviously, outside the US, people does not need and advertising break every 2 mn to pee or eat. :bouncy: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Olddog on Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

L410Turbolet

Sat May 19, 2018 7:30 am

Dutchy wrote:
But, ok, you do know that football is the number one sport in the world, most competitive etc. Billions around the world have a lot of fun with that. I am sorry you can't understand the game.

Count me among those who "can't understand the (professional) game". https://youtu.be/A3SqVRGWUMo
The whole thing is rotten from bottom to the top...

Aesma

Sat May 19, 2018 7:55 am

I don't really care but only FIFA itself or a FIFA member can complain. Then you'd have to unearth things from 20 years ago. Considering how FIFA is rotten now, imagine 20 years ago !

BlueberryWheats

Sat May 19, 2018 9:16 am

nwadeicer wrote:

No, I believe golf is the most boring sport invented.

An767

Sat May 19, 2018 10:00 am

Yes , simply because its the French.

JJJ

Sat May 19, 2018 10:01 am

Short answer yes.

Long answer yes please.

Freakysh

Sat May 19, 2018 10:02 am

nwadeicer wrote:

:lol:

Americans love sports that only they play and therefore can crown themselves world champions year after year :lol:

Because they are shit at it, it's automatically a boring sport :lol:

ltbewr

Sat May 19, 2018 10:21 am

With so much money and national pride involved as well as the horrible history of FIFA, it is not surprising to see attempts to rig the draw of the 1998 WC in favor of host France. Still it took good play, perhaps inspired playing on their home turf, for France to win the Cup. One has to believe there was some rigging of the draw for the WC in Russia next month to appease their Russian hosts, to make sure that get out of the early rounds.

Freakysh

Sat May 19, 2018 10:44 am

The host nation is always afforded any easy group, this is not unique to 98.

I'm sure the inclusion of the US and Iran in the same group was also rigged to generate interest.

Oh, and Iran won the game against the US :lol:

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 3:05 pm

While we are stripping people of titles lets take Carl Lewis and Flo Jo's gold medals, take the 95 world cup from the Spring Boks and right all those other sporting wrongs which need fixing.

Brick

Sat May 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Olddog wrote:

McDonald's sells more burgers than any other company in the world which I guess makes them "the most popular" burger restaurant....that doesn't mean their burgers are any good.

The reason why it is the most popular "world" sport is because there are no other mainstream sports in a lot of other countries.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat May 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Brick wrote:
Olddog wrote:

McDonald's sells more burgers than any other company in the world which I guess makes them "the most popular" burger restaurant.
...that doesn't mean their burgers are any good.

The reason why it is the most popular "world" sport is because there are no other mainstream sports in a lot of other countries.

I'd say that football is the worlds most popular sport because of it's simpleness and because anyone can play it anywhere
on any reasonably flat surface.It also doesn't require any expensive equipment like many other sports. All that is required is
somewhere to play and a football.

Planeflyer

Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 pm

I certainly remember France outplaying Brazil in the finals so unless somebody can prove that Ronaldo was drugged, France deserves the cup.

JJJ

Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Brick wrote:
Olddog wrote:

McDonald's sells more burgers than any other company in the world which I guess makes them "the most popular" burger restaurant....that doesn't mean their burgers are any good.

That's a circular argument. There are no other mainstream sports because football is the mainstream sport.

If you mean that people aren't exposed to other sports then you're just wrong. Basketball, rugby, handball, cricket, etc all have pro leagues etc it just turns out football is the one people want to play and watch the most.

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Brick wrote:
Olddog wrote:

McDonald's sells more burgers than any other company in the world which I guess makes them "the most popular" burger restaurant.
...that doesn't mean their burgers are any good.

I'd say that football is the worlds most popular sport because of it's simpleness and because anyone can play it anywhere
on any reasonably flat surface.It also doesn't require any expensive equipment like many other sports. All that is required is
somewhere to play and a football.

Just like cricket (2nd most popular sport in the world) or dozens of other sports.

CCGPV

Sat May 19, 2018 11:23 pm

Lets say they do actually strip the title from them. What would that actually entail? I'd imagine changing the record books and things like that but what would/could the actual consequences of that be?

Is there a purse for the winners of the World Cup? I can't imagine getting that money back would be easy.

WildcatYXU

Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 am

Maradona's hand of god 32 years ago is a well known fact too. Yet Argentina wasn't stripped of the title. So why start now with France?

Planeflyer

Sun May 20, 2018 2:47 am

I was at that game and I’d give Maradona a hall pass for the hand ball based on his other goal.

I was right behind the goal and did not see the handball. Amazing disguise.

Planeflyer

Sun May 20, 2018 2:58 am

I was at that game and I’d give Maradona a hall pass for the hand ball based on his other goal.

Re the handball, was right behind the goal and did not see the penalty. Amazing disguise.

alberchico

Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 am

BTW since we're on the topic of the 98 WC, what exactly happened to Ronaldo before the final ? Was he somehow drugged ?

continental004

Tue May 22, 2018 6:08 am

nwadeicer wrote:

Nope, and I'm American. America's national pastime is much more boring than soccer could ever be - it drags on forever with little excitement. At one of the last MLB games I attended I actually almost fell asleep! The last two stadiums I've gone to have had Wifi and that was probably the only reason I didn't doze off during the game :D