Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Why do "dad brands" of clothing have a negative stigma?

Fri May 18, 2018 4:07 pm

I was wondering, there seems to be a negative stigma associated with the so-called "dad brands" of clothing. Examples of such brands include IZOD and Nautica.

Why the stigma? I find some of these brands' clothing quite stylish and innovative (IZOD in particular). This seems to hurt sales, and recently Nautica was sold to Authentic Brands, a company who buys dying brands in a attempt to save them.

desertjets

Re: Why do "dad brands" of clothing have a negative stigma?

Fri May 18, 2018 4:27 pm

As a dad I can say I am neither cool nor fashion forward. Dad brands aren't aspirational or really seen as premium, just boring and dependable -- I think Dockers falls squarely in that camp, probably Arrow too. Not that I think IZOD nor Nautica are dad brands. They are just staid middle of the road brands that you find in staid middle of the road department stores..... that said I didn't even know Nautica was still around.

If you want dad brands you should see my IDGAF Friday work outfit, with the exception of my shoes, all came from Target.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2018 5:04 pm

desertjets wrote:
that said I didn't even know Nautica was still around.

Nautica is becoming rare locally; the local Macy's stores have apparently dropped the brand. I currently see the brand at Costco and some Stein Mart locations (although some locations of the latter only carry the dress shirts and luggage).

Also, Nautica was just sold to Authentic Brands Group, a company who is known to buy dying brands in effort to revitalize them.

Tugger

Fri May 18, 2018 5:17 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
, there seems to be a negative stigma associated with the so-called "dad brands" of clothing.

Because being married and a dad (not saying they are one and the same, a lot of single dad's out there) isn't seen as cool and hip and on the prowl... it seen as more like this:

And that look just isn't what any industry really wants to use and sell (except maybe divorce ... and there you go: single dads! :spin: )

Tugg

seb146

Fri May 18, 2018 6:08 pm

The "dad brands" that I think of are New Balance and Athletek and Faded Glory and Wrangler. I see IZOD and Nautica as high end brands. When I worked at Meier & Frank, they were in the "collections" section, which was higher end brands. They still are in their own higher end section, next to Calvin Klein and Ralph Loren. Just my two cents

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2018 6:14 pm

seb146 wrote:
The "dad brands" that I think of are New Balance and Athletek and Faded Glory and Wrangler. I see IZOD and Nautica as high end brands. When I worked at Meier & Frank, they were in the "collections" section, which was higher end brands. They still are in their own higher end section, next to Calvin Klein and Ralph Loren. Just my two cents

I don't consider them high-end despite being an IZOD fan. IZOD is a mid-range brand while Nautica is between mid-range and high-end. I think in the case of Nautica that positioning crisis is another reason why they haven't been doing very well; they don't know if they should compete with mid-range brands such as IZOD and Chaps or more established high end brands such as Tommy Hilfiger and Polo Ralph Lauren.

johns624

Fri May 18, 2018 6:28 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
I was wondering, there seems to be a negative stigma associated with the so-called "dad brands" of clothing. Examples of such brands include IZOD and Nautica.
You're a Dad? Who'd a thunk it. :)

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 pm

johns624 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
You're a Dad? Who'd a thunk it. :)

I'm not, but both IZOD and Nautica are often considered to be "dad brands", since they are generally popular among middle-aged to older men, despite the fact that I am 30 years old. Young men are generally more into brands such as Nike or Under Armor.

flipdewaf

Fri May 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Because fashions are driven by the teens and who wants to be like their dad when they are in their teens?

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EstherLouise

Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 pm

I suppose you guys are going to give me shit about wearing Lee jeans, Hanes sweatshirts, and Golden Toe white socks with velcro New Balances. I'm too old to give a damn. It's comfortable.

LittleFokker

Sat May 19, 2018 2:01 am

I used to dress like a Dad when I was in high school. Now that I'm a dad, well, I still dress like a Dad. No idea how I was able to attract any woman.

Freakysh

Sat May 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Stopped caring about brands of clothing years ago

CitizenJustin

Sat May 19, 2018 3:06 pm

When I was in school, these brands were considered somewhat cool, but when the preppy style started waning, their reputation started to decline as well as overall quality. Very few brands can stay relevant more than one generation as the next has entirely different tastes.

DDR

Sat May 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Freakysh wrote:
Stopped caring about brands of clothing years ago

It's refreshing. Now when I see something I like, I buy it and don't care about the brand or price. Getting older does have its advantages.

KFLLCFII

Mon May 21, 2018 12:32 am

Clothes have brands?

They're appliances used to satisfy society's requirement that we not walk around nude. Nothing more, nothing less.

jetero

Mon May 21, 2018 1:18 am

What brand of clothing best accentuates Dad bods?

B777LRF

Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 am

KFLLCFII wrote:
Clothes have brands?

They're appliances used to satisfy society's requirement that we not walk around nude. Nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps in Florida, but up here on the cold, frozen, tundras of Scandihoovia, clothing does have rather practical applications. Notably the one which ensures your gentleman sausage doesn't get frostbitten which, I've been led to believe, would be rather an uncomfortable event for the owner.

As for brands not lasting more than a generation, that's rather far from the truth. There are several high-end brands which have stood the test of time, see: Famous Italian and French fashion houses.

N867DA

Mon May 21, 2018 9:03 pm

There are many fashion trends I don't pick up. I can't tell the difference between a black Izod polo shirt and a more expensive brand. I don't have any Izod shirts but it's perfectly fine to wear Izod shirts.

Far more important than the brands of clothes is how often you shower and how often you clean your clothes.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 9:33 pm

N867DA wrote:
There are many fashion trends I don't pick up. I can't tell the difference between a black Izod polo shirt and a more expensive brand. I don't have any Izod shirts but it's perfectly fine to wear Izod shirts.

Far more important than the brands of clothes is how often you shower and how often you clean your clothes.

The premium brands don't really seem to be any better quality based on my experience. Plus a lot of them run smaller. Most of my IZOD polo shirts are Advantage Polos, with some Windward Interlock Polos. I still have some of the older 100% cotton piqué polos.

bagoldex

Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
N867DA wrote:

The premium brands don't really seem to be any better quality based on my experience. Plus a lot of them run smaller. Most of my IZOD polo shirts are Advantage Polos, with some Windward Interlock Polos. I still have some of the older 100% cotton piqué polos.

Perhaps not smaller but slimmer which is entirely predictable as people at the higher end of the economic spectrum tend to be in better physical condition than those falling in the middle and lower ends.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 10:30 pm

bagoldex wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
N867DA wrote:

Perhaps not smaller but slimmer which is entirely predictable as people at the higher end of the economic spectrum tend to be in better physical condition than those falling in the middle and lower ends.

Note that IZOD has expanded some of their slim fit offerings for Spring 2018 with their Advantage Polo, offering them in more colors than just the five "Basic" year-round colors (although XS-Slim is still only in the Basic colors).