Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

NY man tells Spanish speakers “My next call is to ICE”

Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/us/new-y ... index.html

Has anyone seen this story? Apparently, another person caught the same man on video saying similar things in 2016. He made other comments as well to a woman about her weight and called a man in 2016 an “ugly f***ing foreigner” even thought the he was born in Massachusetts.

I shouldn’t be shocked and I know people like this exist all over, but seeing such hatred and anger live is disturbing. I’m glad his picture has been blasted all over NYC and people seem to be on the same page in denouncing his behavior, but no doubt he has millions of people on his side. As usual, they’ll abuse the meaning of free speech.

CCGPV

Re: NY man tells Spanish speakers “My next call is to ICE”

Thu May 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Who would have expected anything different from people living in New York City. The enlightened capital of American culture.

He must have been visiting from the South with all that inherent racism.

Tugger

Thu May 17, 2018 4:33 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Who would have expected anything different from people living in New York City. The enlightened capital of American culture.

It's not a location, it is a person and an environment that encourages hostility instead of trying to work together to get something done. There is an old adage "if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything". While not advice to be followed hard and fast, it is a good rule of thumb to start from. And if you do have something to say, be calm and constructive if at all possible.

This guy was a moron and is getting blasted publicly for his ill-considered outburst. He has been identified and is suffering the consequence of the unwanted public attention that he brought upon himself.

Tugg

CCGPV

Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Tugger wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

It's not a location, it is a person and an environment that encourages hostility instead of trying to work together to get something done. There is an old adage "if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything". While not advice to be followed hard and fast, it is a good rule of thumb to start from. And if you do have something to say, be calm and constructive if at all possible.

This guy was a moron and is getting blasted publicly for his ill-considered outburst. He has been identified and is suffering the consequence of the unwanted public attention that he brought upon himself.

Tugg

Its good he's being called out. Unfortunately for habitual racists like this guy they usually just go underground filled with resentment.

TSS

Thu May 17, 2018 4:52 pm

CCGPV wrote:

Nope. According to this, he's from Philadelphia- https://heavy.com/news/2018/05/aaron-schlossberg/. Since he attended a place called "The Haverford School", which almost demands to be said aloud in a Thurston Howell-type accent, I'm guessing he ain't even from South Philadelphia.

727LOVER

Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 pm

TSS wrote:
he's from Philadelphia.

You don't have to say anything else ~~~ :lol:

Tugger

Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 pm

TSS wrote:
Since he attended a place called "The Haverford School", which almost demands to be said aloud in a Thurston Howell-type accent, I'm guessing he ain't even from South Philadelphia.

Honestly there is no way to judge someone by the school they attended. Looking at Haverford, while a typical high cost private school they also have a significant outreach program to support low income and disadvantaged students. And that is a good thing to support. The problem is this gut didn't learn that lesson.

Tugg

bagoldex

Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Tugger wrote:
TSS wrote:
Since he attended a place called "The Haverford School", which almost demands to be said aloud in a Thurston Howell-type accent, I'm guessing he ain't even from South Philadelphia.

Honestly there is no way to judge someone by the school they attended. Looking at Haverford, while a typical high cost private school they also have a significant outreach program to support low income and disadvantaged students. And that is a good thing to support. The problem is this gut didn't learn that lesson.

Tugg

For every one person who went to an elite prep school and turned out like Herr Schlossberg there hundreds who didn't.

zakuivcustom

Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 pm

The funny thing is that if you go to his website:
https://www.aaronschlossberglaw.com/

"Call to Schedule a Consultation, Español, Français, 中文 (Chinese), עִברִית (Hebrew)". I guess it's fine when he takes money from people that doesn't necessarily speak English, but can't stand it when somebody talks in a language other than English.

And seriously, he's freaking in Midtown Manhattan, you hear people speak 100 languages there easily, anything from international businesspeople to tourists to people that call USA home.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Thu May 17, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

einsteinboricua

Thu May 17, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm waiting for this to happen to me. I have a few comebacks for that.

bagoldex

Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Poor little snowflake suddenly doesn't like having his picture taken ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.3994773

seb146

Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
And seriously, he's freaking in Midtown Manhattan, you hear people speak 100 languages there easily, anything from international businesspeople to tourists to people that call USA home.

This.

I have lived in small, white washed towns and large cities. I rarely pay attention to conversations around me because they are not talking to me. I don't give a damn if they are talking to each other in English, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Sign Language.... Why is it so important to inject yourself into someone else's private conversation? If your self-esteem is that low, go to therapy or drink like a normal person.

Redd

Thu May 17, 2018 7:45 pm

CCGPV wrote:

Some southern insecurities flaring up?

TSS

Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 pm

TSS wrote:

Tugger wrote:

bagoldex wrote:
For every one person who went to an elite prep school and turned out like Herr Schlossberg there hundreds who didn't.

Fair enough. My apologies to all past, present, and future graduates of The Haverford School.

Back to the subject at hand, I've got to wonder why someone who studied abroad in Madrid, Spain would react so negatively to hearing people speak Spanish?

seb146

Thu May 17, 2018 8:17 pm

CCGPV wrote:

Isn't there a racist high up in government right now from NYC? Someone who called neo Nazis and KKK marchers fine people? Build a wall? Name slips my mind at the moment.....

CCGPV

Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Redd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Nah, there's a ton of racists down here. Probably more than there in the north. What I mean is there's a lot of them up there too.

CCGPV

Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 pm

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Isn't there a racist high up in government right now from NYC? Someone who called neo Nazis and KKK marchers fine people? Build a wall? Name slips my mind at the moment.....

There are lots of racists in the government at every level from all across the nation.

tRump, Waters, Sessions, etc.

seb146

Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 pm

CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

There are lots of racists in the government at every level from all across the nation.

"Both sides do it, so Republicans get a pass" is BS. I assume you are naming Maxine Waters, so, tell me, what racist things has she said? Word-for-word quotes, please.

CCGPV

Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:

"Both sides do it, so Republicans get a pass" is BS. I assume you are naming Maxine Waters, so, tell me, what racist things has she said? Word-for-word quotes, please.

Racism is bad on all sides. I'm not defending any racists whoever they may be. Where have I defended racism at any point?

Blerg

Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Why is CNN even reporting this? I mean I am sorry for those Spanish speakers but this is hardly something a global network such as CNN should be dealing with. Or am I missing something?

zakuivcustom

Thu May 17, 2018 9:03 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Redd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Nah, there's a ton of racists down here. Probably more than there in the north. What I mean is there's a lot of them up there too.

Racists are pretty much everywhere anyway. The general consensus is that Southerner are just more "open" about their racism, while non-Southerner racists act all friendly but then say all these racist stuff behind that person's back. And it's not like this is the first incidents of these type that happened in NYC anyway (not saying all NYers are bad, as you can tell from those people responding to the tirades by laughing at how ignorant and how much of a fool the "lawyer" makes himself looks like).

BTW...

https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist-la ... ice-space/

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

(I don't like to wish bad on people, even a racist lawyer, but still can't help but laugh)

seb146

Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 pm

CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Racism is bad on all sides. I'm not defending any racists whoever they may be. Where have I defended racism at any point?

When you say "but both sides do it" that is the same thing as saying "this is how I justify supporting my racism and my racist representatives" instead of saying "this is not good for the nation, so let's support people who are not like this." When you say "both sides do it" you are enabling them.

Keeping that in mind, prove to me that Waters is as racist as this guy in the restaurant or the Starbucks baristas in Philadelphia or the woman in Oakland.

seb146

Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Blerg wrote:
Why is CNN even reporting this? I mean I am sorry for those Spanish speakers but this is hardly something a global network such as CNN should be dealing with. Or am I missing something?

For eight years, we heard from a specific "most watched" infotainment channel how Obama is evil incarnate because he played golf or had Dijon mustard or signed a peace treaty with Iran. Why can't a similar infotainment network show acts of blatant racism now that an actual fool is in charge?

CCGPV

Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 pm

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:

When you say "but both sides do it" that is the same thing as saying "this is how I justify supporting my racism and my racist representatives" instead of saying "this is not good for the nation, so let's support people who are not like this." When you say "both sides do it" you are enabling them.

Keeping that in mind, prove to me that Waters is as racist as this guy in the restaurant or the Starbucks baristas in Philadelphia or the woman in Oakland.

How does pointing out a fact about the general racist aspects of a culture make me support racism? Where have I supported or called for anything racist to be accepted? I stated that its not a political or geographic issue...its everywhere and its all wrong. And now I'm a supporter of racism...unbelievable.

I'm not enabling anything. That individual made a choice to be racist and I called him out on it. You (self-admittedly) are a racist but I don't call you out on it in every post like I should so am I enabling you? Ridiculous.

CCGPV

Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 pm

seb146 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

For eight years, we heard from a specific "most watched" infotainment channel how Obama is evil incarnate because he played golf or had Dijon mustard or signed a peace treaty with Iran. Why can't a similar infotainment network show acts of blatant racism now that an actual fool is in charge?

They can but if they do they cannot then claim hold themselves to a "higher standard" than Fox News. All news channels are full of partisan garbage. Nobody should watch any of them.

seb146

Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 pm

CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

They can but if they do they cannot then claim hold themselves to a "higher standard" than Fox News. All news channels are full of partisan garbage. Nobody should watch any of them.

"One side did it and I stayed silent because reasons but, now that the other side is doing it, I am outraged." That is what you are saying. Many of us have been trying to tell the rest of you that this "fair and balanced" channel is anything but. They are partisan as they come. But, all we heard is "but, but, but.... They counter the 'liberal' media so they are better!" but, no. They are partisan. They are not to be trusted as a source. We have been telling you all that for years. Decades. If you just now are outraged over CNN for doing EXACTLY what Fox has done but not outraged at Fox all those years, your argument is invalid.

seb146

Thu May 17, 2018 9:32 pm

CCGPV wrote:
How does pointing out a fact about the general racist aspects of a culture make me support racism? Where have I supported or called for anything racist to be accepted?

When you said "both sides do it" and include Waters as an example of "both sides do it." Or when you simply say "both sides do it" as your rebuttal to any argument. You need to finish the thought

Yes, I know I am racist but I actually work on being less racist. I confront my racism. I ask questions and talk to people. Unlike the lawyer in the OP or the baristas at Starbucks or the woman on a picnick in Oakland or KKK or neo Nazis.

CCGPV

Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 pm

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:

"One side did it and I stayed silent because reasons but, now that the other side is doing it, I am outraged." That is what you are saying. Many of us have been trying to tell the rest of you that this "fair and balanced" channel is anything but. They are partisan as they come. But, all we heard is "but, but, but.... They counter the 'liberal' media so they are better!" but, no. They are partisan. They are not to be trusted as a source. We have been telling you all that for years. Decades. If you just now are outraged over CNN for doing EXACTLY what Fox has done but not outraged at Fox all those years, your argument is invalid.

Telling "Me" who? Fox is garbage. I've always said that. Everyone who's not over the age of 65 understands its propaganda. Having to "point that out to people" makes you look stupid for actually thinking they aren't completely biased. Republicans know this.

Your reading comprehension is so poor. How many times you overlook the forest for the trees is amazing.

Where have I stayed silent about racism in any context in any conversation about politics here? I've never defended Trump or any of his crew yet I'm some brainwashed conservative. I call him and sessions racist. I make obviously over the top references at the absurdity (aka how bad it is) of the situation. Its amazing. The lack of understanding of nuance is great.

I've never defended any news (advertising company really) channel or company. They by and large are all garbage. They each have their own biases. If I want liberal nonsense 24/7 I'm watching MSNBC, if I want conservative cheer leading 24/7 I'll watch Fox. This is well established. Its like the owners of this site calling it an aviation themed fan site. To them its an advertising revenue generator with higher than average incomes and tastes so they sell ads directed to those goals. Everything else (obviously) comes secondary to that.

wingman

Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Blerg wrote:

Everyone is reporting, even Fox News. Overt and explicit racism caught on film is pretty rare outside of Trump rallies, and this act took place in the heart of NYC, a city noted for its ethnic and cultural diversity. That is what I call newsworthy for millions. Plus this guy looks normal at first glance and then you find out he's a actually a lawyer who advertises his services in some ten different languages promising "they're all spoken here". So he's racist, he's stupid beyond all *ucking comprehension, and he's a hypocrite. It's the Far Right trifecta, ding-ding-ding you just won yourself a week in the national spotlight and with any luck the complete ruination of your business. No doubt he'll be saved by a spot on Trump's ever expanding legal team of thuggish morons. Giuliani, This Guy and The Other Asshole, Attorneys at Law.

Airstud

Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
Redd wrote:

Racists are pretty much everywhere anyway. The general consensus is that Southerner are just more "open" about their racism, while non-Southerner racists act all friendly but then say all these racist stuff behind that person's back. And it's not like this is the first incidents of these type that happened in NYC anyway (not saying all NYers are bad, as you can tell from those people responding to the tirades by laughing at how ignorant and how much of a fool the "lawyer" makes himself looks like).

BTW...

https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist-la ... ice-space/

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

(I don't like to wish bad on people, even a racist lawyer, but still can't help but laugh)

The question I really want answered in all of this is, what happened to the panini that he left behind when he finally left the restaurant?

Because mmmmmmmmmm, panini...

Mir

Fri May 18, 2018 1:58 am

Blerg wrote:

These sorts of people (or should I say animals? :biggrin: ) are feeling emboldened in the US these days, and these events are becoming more common. That's a significant enough story for them to cover - it signals a change going on in the national culture.

johns624

Fri May 18, 2018 2:18 am

CCGPV wrote:
like I said with Waters...I used her name because she's the most outspoken woman and black member of congress by far and a democrat. Perfect fodder for this subject. It worked, didn't it?
No, you used her name because you didn't think anyone would call you on it. Well, someone did, and you still haven't answered, you just keep dancing.

It's just like in another thread where you implied someone's father was only in the army for 2 years because he might haven't gotten kicked out. When I told you the real reason, you ignored it. Go back under the bridge!

CCGPV

Fri May 18, 2018 2:42 am

johns624 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
like I said with Waters...I used her name because she's the most outspoken woman and black member of congress by far and a democrat. Perfect fodder for this subject. It worked, didn't it?
No, you used her name because you didn't think anyone would call you on it. Well, someone did, and you still haven't answered, you just keep dancing.

It's just like in another thread where you implied someone's father was only in the army for 2 years because he might haven't gotten kicked out. When I told you the real reason, you ignored it. Go back under the bridge!

Like I said I made it up. She has never made a racist remark as far as I know. I have done zero research into it. I know she's a regular boogeyman for the righties so I went with it. I knew it would get the conversation going.

And the question about the dad was an honest one. I always heard 4 years was the standard length of service. I mean, that's the gold standard in these days. The other response in the thread explained why- his dad was probably drafted and only had to serve 2 years. Makes sense. Where in the thread did I imply he was kicked out?
Last edited by CCGPV on Fri May 18, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

zkojq

Fri May 18, 2018 2:43 am

"Your staff is speaking Spanish to customers when they should be speaking English," the man say. "My guess is they're not documented. So my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country," he says.
"If they have the balls to come here and live off my money, I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here. The least they can do ... is speak English."

Even the most basic logic would suggest that since the people he was cursing at are gainfully employed, literally in their workplace, that they're not on welfare. :banghead:

Reminds me of those protests to increase the minimum wage, where the far right wingers came along and started jeering "get a job" etc.

Airstud

Fri May 18, 2018 2:46 am

zkojq wrote:
"Your staff is speaking Spanish to customers when they should be speaking English," the man say. "My guess is they're not documented. So my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country," he says.
"If they have the balls to come here and live off my money, I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here. The least they can do ... is speak English."

Even the most basic logic would suggest that since the people he was cursing at are gainfully employed, literally in their workplace, that they're not on welfare. :banghead:

Reminds me of those protests to increase the minimum wage, where the far right wingers came along and started jeering "get a job" etc.

Also, "my guess" is what he's holding up as sufficient evidence to have them deported.

Law school graduate, he.

MaverickM11

Fri May 18, 2018 5:48 am

There’s a fundraiser to pay a mariachi band to follow this trump acolyte around Manhattan :rotfl: :rotfl:

mad99

Fri May 18, 2018 7:13 am

Typical anet thread.

Man complains about people speaking a language.

Anet, that’s so racist.

Because of obummer

Make America great

tRump’s fault

2122M

Fri May 18, 2018 1:30 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Like I said I made it up. She has never made a racist remark as far as I know. I have done zero research into it. I know she's a regular boogeyman for the righties so I went with it. I knew it would get the conversation going.

You accused her of being racist knowing it was BS just to start a conversation? How is that constructive? How bored are you?

zakuivcustom

Fri May 18, 2018 2:34 pm

zkojq wrote:

If he has logic, he would not yell at somebody for speaking Spanish publicly in a restaurant, go on a tirade, and still think he's doing a great service to US / "True American".

On a side note, counting down before he's hired as part of that certain golfer in Mar-a-Lago to his lawyer team. After all, that certain golfer only hire the "best people".

Redd

Fri May 18, 2018 2:47 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Redd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Racists everywhere. Probably more concentrated in cities, lol.

In all seriousness though, the guy's either an asshole (not a long shot for NYC) or has some serious psychological issues and seems like he's on the verge of a mental breakdown. I miss the days when things like this didn't make the front page news, when there was 'news news' on the news.

CCGPV

Fri May 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Redd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
Redd wrote:

In all seriousness though, the guy's either an asshole (not a long shot for NYC) or has some serious psychological issues and seems like he's on the verge of a mental breakdown. I miss the days when things like this didn't make the front page news, when there was 'news news' on the news.

Its the modern day equivalent of the stockade. And its rightly deserved. People love to see jerks put through the wringer. I say we bring back the struggle session for people like this.

This guy has at least 3 videos taken many months apart of him being a racist ass. His law career is over and hes's going to be paying for this for a long time. Its a great thing.

jakubz

Fri May 18, 2018 4:08 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I'm waiting for this to happen to me. I have a few comebacks for that.

I went to school at Loyola Chicago. I my parents lived in the suburbs and I would often come back on the Metra to come home and work in a store on weekends. One Friday I get out at the train station near my parents and call my dad to pick me up. We're Polish, and we often speak in Polish instead of English (My parents were born in Poland, I was born in the US, I speak both Polish and English fluently). As I'm talking to my dad on the Phone in Polish, some construction worker tries to heckle me and says "Hey buddy, speak English". Without pulling the phone away from my ear, I turn back to him and yell back "F*ck off A&&hole, I was born here" without breaking stride. His jaw dropped to his chest, and he didn't say anything else in response. I'm pretty sure I heard his buddy laughing at him after that.

727LOVER

Fri May 18, 2018 4:13 pm

bgm

Fri May 18, 2018 4:15 pm

He's a Republican and Trump supporter. Who would've guessed? :spin:

skyservice_330

Fri May 18, 2018 4:47 pm

The real question, outside of this incident, is how lil'stud69 and texbigot enjoyed the rest of their trip to NYC :rotfl:

Expected response:
- would never go to NYC .. too liberal
- its racist to call this guy racist ...you liberal racist
- American citizens that speak Spanish should be expected to receive this treatment because the bad hombres and animals they have never met, and have no relation to, are crossing the border
-Obama, affirmative action, muslim
etc etc.

727LOVER

Fri May 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Aren't most spanish speaking people in NYC, Puerto Rican or Dominican?. He does realize that Puerto Ricans are Americans?

727LOVER

Fri May 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Here is the man that had a run-in with this psychopath back in 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3jXyq6B2i4

Keep in mind, the text has been updated...but the video is from 2016

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2018 5:49 pm

CCGPV wrote:

Honestly, one of the worst experiences I’ve had with homophobia was in NYC. I’m from an ultra red, midwestern state and always thought of NYC as a beacon of acceptance, so I was truly devastated.

artofzen

Fri May 18, 2018 6:16 pm

bgm wrote:
He's a Republican and Trump supporter. Who would've guessed? :spin:

And ironically from a religion whose followers suffered persecution.

seb146

Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Redd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
Redd wrote:

I doubt they are more concentrated in cities. I would say that they are more vocal in cities because "you 'liberals' are supposed to be accepting and let me do what I want" attitude. I have lived in both rural and urban settings and, from my experience, I am much more comfortable in urban settings. No one is trying to force their beliefs into your home in an urban setting. No one cares. I was fired from a job because I am gay. In rural Oregon. No one cares in cities. Even BOI and SLC. That is what I have noticed.