Dutchy
Topic Author

Super yachts

Wed May 16, 2018 5:48 pm

More than 14 percent of the worlds super yachts are build in the Netherlands

Superyachts of Dutch manufactures are gaining in popularity. In 2016, more than one in nine superyachts was made in the Netherlands, compared with just over 14 percent last year.
In view of the value of the vessels, the Netherlands accounted for 30 percent of the total market last year, according to trade association HISWA Holland Yachting Group on Wednesday.

The 23 new orders that were dragged in last year, according to the organization, point to a positive trend.

Worldwide, 149 superyachts of more than 30 meters long were built. Together they generated 4.1 billion euros. The 21 superyachts of Dutch shipbuilders raised a record amount of 1.2 billion euros.

The average price for a Dutch boat was 57 million euros. That amounts to an increase of 10 percent on an annual basis.

https://www.nu.nl/ondernemen/5269043/ru ... kelij.html

Crazy that this highly specialized niche is booming in the Netherlands. We are actually building something: the Rolls Royce of the oceans.

The world economy is booming. The super wealthy want more toy's :white:

Post your favorite superyacht :D
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

787Driver

Re: Super yachts

Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:

That would look something like this (I just googled super yachts and found this one to be good looking):

Tugger

Wed May 16, 2018 6:03 pm

I like the Cloudbreak:

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

readytotaxi

Wed May 16, 2018 6:08 pm

787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

That would look something like this (I just googled super yachts and found this one to be good looking):

Now that is cracking and stylish, infinity pool helideck up front. Did you get the price?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

787Driver

Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Now that is cracking and stylish, infinity pool helideck up front. Did you get the price?

It doesn't look like the price was mentioned. There's a brief article about it here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-o ... &IR=T&IR=T

bennett123

Wed May 16, 2018 6:19 pm

To quote the old joker ‘If you need to ask, you can’t afford it’

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 pm

bennett123 wrote:
To quote the old joker ‘If you need to ask, you can’t afford it’

Even if we knew the price, to quote Oscar Wilde: “nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing,"

But what was the price :lol:

bagoldex

Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm

^^^ Tacky clorox bottles, all of them.

desertjets

Wed May 16, 2018 7:17 pm

These super yachts make me feel poor. Plus I don't dig the super sleek plasticky style. Give me something a bit more classic like HMY Britannia.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm

bagoldex wrote:

That is one serious monster. Those people sitting there look like ants. :)

787Driver

Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm

desertjets wrote:
These super yachts make me feel poor. Plus I don't dig the super sleek plasticky style. Give me something a bit more classic like HMY Britannia.

If you painted the ship I posted pics of a very dark blue on the bottom half, it would appear more exclusive in my opinion.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm

787Driver wrote:
desertjets wrote:

If you painted the ship I posted pics of a very dark blue on the bottom half, it would appear more exclusive in my opinion.

Wealth doesn't buy you good taste ;)

787Driver

Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:
787Driver wrote:
desertjets wrote:

Wealth doesn't buy you good taste ;)

If the reference to what you call "good taste" is the boat you posted initially, then I'd argue I have better taste than you ;-)

and btw poverty doesn't buy you good taste either.. :-)

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Oh, I much more prefer sailing yachts myself. Generally, I don't like the aesthetics of these mega yachts. But I thought it would make an interesting thread when I read the article.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 8:01 pm

787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Oh, I much more prefer sailing yachts myself. Generally, I don't like the aesthetics of these mega yachts. But I thought it would make an interesting thread when I read the article.

So do I, but - generally - when someone mentions "super yachts" people would usually associate it with motorised yachts. You thought it would be interesting discussing boats you find ugly? And then you even brag about how 14% of these are produced in your native country of Holland? Bizarre.

I aim to please ;)

787Driver

Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:

So do I, but - generally - when someone mentions "super yachts" people would usually associate it with motorised yachts. You thought it would be interesting discussing boats you find ugly? And then you even brag about how 14% of these are produced in your native country of Holland? Bizarre.

787Driver

Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I aim to please ;)

Is this where I insert an inappropriate joke to match your level of argumentation? :)

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 pm

787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
787Driver wrote:

I aim to please ;)

Is this where I insert an inappropriate joke to match your level of argumentation? :)

Yup, cue.....

LJ

Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Crazy that this highly specialized niche is booming in the Netherlands. We are actually building something: the Rolls Royce of the oceans.

To be honest, it's not something new. When I was at university (some 19 years) one of our professors was related to people who working for Feadship. We couldn't get enough on stories about this company and its yachts.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 pm

LJ wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

To be honest, it's not something new. When I was at university (some 19 years) one of our professors was related to people who working for Feadship. We couldn't get enough on stories about this company and its yachts.

I know, lots of them seem to be built in the neighborhood of Vollenhoven. Near there is my sailing club, so I know that area quite well. Still amazes me they build that many.

bagoldex

Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

That is one serious monster. Those people sitting there look like ants. :)

Even more impressive seeing five racing together ...

https://youtu.be/irmfc3uDGTs

Aesma

Wed May 16, 2018 10:34 pm

New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

VSMUT

Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am

bagoldex wrote:

Floating fridges.

Dano1977

Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am

The original super yacht has to be the Ben Lexcen designed “Australia II”

The first non U.S. yacht to win the America’s cup
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

bagoldex

Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
The original super yacht has to be the Ben Lexcen designed “Australia II”

The first non U.S. yacht to win the America’s cup

The keel design was certainly innovative but not enough to consider it a dramatic deviation from the natural arc of innovation in the America's Cup.

Here's another favorite, Reliance.

zkojq

Thu May 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Why is Feadship so successful when Royal Denship struggle so badly and went under?

My original favourite; LADY ANASTASIA. I remember its launch (under a previous name), seeing it have the final fit-out at the Viaduct Basin in Auckland and I still have the copy of Boat International somewhere where they reviewed it. In actual fact, I don't really like the way it looks anymore.

Current favourite: SILVERFAST. I love how long it is and how it doesn't look top heavy, unlike most superyachts. Very sleek, beautiful and apparently fuel efficient too. :scratchchin: 27kt top speed is very appealing also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfjYt8Gi2pU

Every year at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix they have it docked at Yas Marina, right next to the circuit and it looks particularly good under the dusk light.

I'm actually a pretty practical person though, so an Azimut 72s
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, B737-600 LN-RPA, B737-700 OY-JTY, B737-800 LN-NGA, B767-300 ZK-NCI, B777-300 ZK-OKN, B787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

Kaphias

Fri May 18, 2018 1:41 am

Venus
Matthew

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri May 18, 2018 4:24 am

This is my favourite. She is known as the Queen of Andaman.
A very elegant and tasteful yacht IMO.

Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Flighty

Sat May 19, 2018 6:59 am

I think the mega yachts are a silly and vulgar gesture against the human race. It is a choice by working people to allow it to happen. That said I do subscribe to Boat International. Great magazine and a lot of good designs coming out.

787Driver

Sat May 19, 2018 7:43 am

Flighty wrote:
I think the mega yachts are a silly and vulgar gesture against the human race. It is a choice by working people to allow it to happen. That said I do subscribe to Boat International. Great magazine and a lot of good designs coming out.

I would agree, but let’s stay on track and just post pics of yachts which was the intended purpose of the author of the thread instead of discussing the lack of morality behind them.

Aesma

Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 am

That's partly why I posted a sailing yacht, on top of the fact that I do like sailing and own a sailing boat with my father. I guess if I was a billionaire I would spend more than most on the yacht so that it can make its own energy (solar arrays, maybe retractable ones ?) and store it in battery banks, with no need for generators or piston engines of any kind.

Realistically though the private jets of individuals owning these yachts, without even talking about converted airliners, just a Gulfstream or equivalent, burns more fuel per year than the yachts.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

aviationaware

Sat May 19, 2018 10:11 am

Those things are an obscene display of inequality and incredibly damaging to the marine environment, so I am surprised to see Dutchy of all people fawn over them.

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:
[

Lussen makes the biggest and some would also say the best Superyachts, followed by Fincanteri.

My favourite Superyacht is Ulysses, both versions were built by Kleven Verf in Norway. The owner is a kiwi Graeme Hart. I like expedition yachts, these two vessels are built on similar hulls to standby vessels, which means they are about as tough and seaworthy a ship as you could find.

The just finished 116m version

And the recently sold 107m version, now renamed Andromeda.

Last edited by Kiwirob on Sat May 19, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Tugger wrote:
I like the Cloudbreak:

Tugg

I met the captain of Cloudbreak, he's a kiwi, she was build by her Russian owner so he could heliski in Alaska and New Zealand. Nice what you can do when you have the money to do it.

BravoOne

Sat May 19, 2018 3:43 pm

I flew for a guy that owned three large yachts.

Octopus 414'
Tatoosh 320
Meduse 210'

Wsa onboard all of them from time to time. Beautiful works af art/

WIederling

Sat May 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Any idea what the grey "secondary" bridge on the forecastle is for ?
Murphy is an optimist

bagoldex

Sat May 19, 2018 4:01 pm

WIederling wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

This:

WIederling

Sat May 19, 2018 4:17 pm

bagoldex wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

This:

Hrm, Thanks!
Any idea ( or images) on how that is deployed?

( Like the ship eating maw from some Bond Movie? :-)

Horray, found it:
https://cdn.boatinternational.com/image ... 60x540.jpg
Last edited by WIederling on Sat May 19, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy is an optimist

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 4:23 pm

BravoOne wrote:

Octopus 414'
Tatoosh 320
Meduse 210'

Everyone knows who owns that fleet, you could have said you flew for Paul Allen, very cool IMO. I used to see Octopus everyday for about 12 months when she was in Auckland for the Americans Cup.

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 4:27 pm

WIederling wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
WIederling wrote:

This:

Hrm, Thanks!
Any idea ( or images) on how that is deployed?

( Like the ship eating maw from some Bond Movie? :-)

Horray, found it:
https://cdn.boatinternational.com/image ... 60x540.jpg

two deck cranes.

BravoOne

Sat May 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Octopus 414'
Tatoosh 320
Meduse 210'

Everyone knows who owns that fleet, you could have said you flew for Paul Allen, very cool IMO. I used to see Octopus everyday for about 12 months when she was in Auckland for the Americans Cup.

I don't know if everyone knows. and what diiference does it make other than name dropping? I was also down in Auckland for the Americas Cup but could have sworn that the Tatoosh., and not the Octopus was there at that time?

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 5:08 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Octopus 414'
Tatoosh 320
Meduse 210'

I don't know if everyone knows. and what diiference does it make other than name dropping? I was also down in Auckland for the Americas Cup but could have sworn that the Tatoosh., and not the Octopus was there at that time?

Tatoosh was 2000 and Octopus in 2003.

petertenthije

Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 pm

How about this eye-sore.
https://www.boatinternational.com/yacht ... way--24625

This ship, or perhaps more accurately this hull, used to be the royal Netherlands navy Hr. Ms. Piet Heijn F811. One of the Kortenaer class frigates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kortenaer-class_frigate
Attamottamotta!

Aesma

Sat May 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Kiwirob you're favorites look a bit like warships.

petertenthije that one is built on a warship hull but doesn't look like one, funny. The glass room would be great for when weather is not great, winter, etc., however putting the bedroom there is completely wrong.

BravoOne

Sat May 19, 2018 5:58 pm

petertenthije wrote:
How about this eye-sore.

This ship, or perhaps more accurately this hull, used to be the royal Netherlands navy Hr. Ms. Piet Heijn F811. One of the Kortenaer class frigates.

I was not there in 2000 and for that matter I don't think the Tatoosh was owned by Paul Allen then, but I could be wrong. To many yachts, so little time + old age:)

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 pm

petertenthije wrote:
How about this eye-sore.

Yas also has a sister ship which is also undergoing conversion from frigate to superyacht, the project name for this is Swift 135.

Kiwirob

Sat May 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Aesma wrote:
Kiwirob you're favorites look a bit like warships.

petertenthije that one is built on a warship hull but doesn't look like one, funny. The glass room would be great for when weather is not great, winter, etc., however putting the bedroom there is completely wrong.

I like the expedition style yachts, they're real ships which can take what mother nature dishes out without having to run to the nearest port.

Legend is another favourite, she started life as a Russian ice breaker.

I also like Skat which just look bad arse.

And Ermis 2 which isn't that big but one of the fasted yachts afloat, 58knot top speed.

SmithAir747

Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 pm

I love those converted-warship yachts.

Whenever I see a yacht, I always wonder where a grand piano would fit on board.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)