steveinbc

Re: Little Things That Bother You A Lot

Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Saying that you are gong to give something anything more than one hundred percent.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Tugger

Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm

People that change into my lane on the freeway and then slow down when the lane they came from was an empty lane for them.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

cjg225

Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Georgetown wrote:
Ah. Two Top is a restaurant term for a table that seats two people (a four top would seat four and so on). At many restaurants, especially in cities, two tops are often placed very close together, so it’s easy to hear the conversation going on next to you. All too often it will be an awkward date or simply two quiet people at the table next door and when that happens it’s as if if they’re sitting next to you listening to whatever conversation you’re having. Bugs me to no end.

I sort of figured that was the case, but I've never heard that term and a cursory Google search turned up nothing.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Kno

Wed May 16, 2018 4:17 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Kno wrote:
7. In bad traffic when people get really apathetic and let the car length between them and the car ahead become like 3 semi lengths - yes we will all be stuck in traffic regardless but that kind of driving is part of what makes the traffic so bad! Enough people do it that all lanes end up getting even more clogged forcing all lanes to go slower and slower for miles.

"Three semi lengths" may or may not be excessive depending on speed, but either way, what you just described is actually the vastly safer practice than what I think you're implying is what you'd rather see people do.

When I say bad traffic I'm talking rush hour in a big city. Boston, ATL, NYC, etc. at sub 20mph. Absolutely no safety reason to drive that far behind the car in front of you at that speed. 9/10 it's a person texting or doing their make up who does this and when they realize the gap they've created they speed up to the car in front of them and do it all over again. A proven cause of making bad traffic worse. Ever driven in a big city during a traffic jam? Imagine if everyone did this.

2122M

Wed May 16, 2018 4:20 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Millennials who sit home and play video games all day and then demand their dead job pay 30 bucks an hour because you know they deserve it.

People who take lighthearted threads like this one an try their hardest to turn them political.

Also, drivers that turn their windshield wipers on the fastest possible setting when its just misting or barely raining. It doesn't affect me one way or the other, but for some reason it just drives me nuts.

StarAC17

Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
seb146 wrote:
It also bothers me that, in baseball, there is a player between Second and Third but no player between First and Second.

Well for starters, none of the "basemen" really play on their bag (unless there's a runner on said bag, and even then, they may not hover overtop of it) at the start of the play. The SS and 3rd basemen play between 2nd and 3rd and the 1st and 2nd basemen play between 1st and 2nd. So the gap gets covered, just not linguistically speaking.

This probably had to do with more people being right-handed and more balls being hit to the left side of the baseball diamond so the SS would play that additional spot. Really holds less value today with 2B playing between first and second.

One thing that annoys me in baseball is the shift. There should be a rule (it might be already) that the SS and 2B can not pass the other side of second base until the ball in play.

Kiwirob wrote:
Websites using the US flag to indicate the ENGLISH webpage really gets up my date, it should use the Union Flag, it’s not like the Mexican flag is used for Spanish or the Brazilian for Portuguese.

I know the reason why most Americans can’t identify the Union Flag and associate it with the ENGLISH language, if it’s used instead of the US flag traffic originating from the US drops like a stone.

I see the Union Jack in most places, perhaps in the US in is the US flag but in most other places I see the Union Jack.

casinterest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Websites using the US flag to indicate the ENGLISH webpage really gets up my date, it should use the Union Flag, it’s not like the Mexican flag is used for Spanish or the Brazilian for Portuguese.

I know the reason why most Americans can’t identify the Union Flag and associate it with the ENGLISH language, if it’s used instead of the US flag traffic originating from the US drops like a stone.

It shouldn't use a flag at all. Languages are not Nations.

http://www.flagsarenotlanguages.com/blo ... languages/

People are visual and might not understand the names of the language but will associate the Union Jack with English or the Spanish flag with Spanish etc.
I have also noted that it is now code here in Canada to use the Green Running-man picto-gram for exit signs in new buildings as everybody knows that means exit regardless of the language you speak.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

727LOVER

Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 pm

People blowing their nose in a restaurant.

Being an American, living in America....but having to constantly hear about the British Royals.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

ER757

Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Kno wrote:
For me it's a lot of city driving things.

2. When somebody is turning at a light and sits WAAAAY back behind the turning point and either lets the light go red when they had time to turn or takes theie turn but makes sure the cars behind them cant because they sat so far back.

6. People who go slow in the left lane while not passing anyone or use the left lane to barely inch by the car on their right after miles and miles.

Ditto on these two - I want to get out and beat these people with a stick!

Braybuddy

Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Upside-down and reversed letters in shop names. It's more common than you'd think, and not just the lower end of the market either! Having a background in printing and an interest in typography these really jump out at me - I can spot them a mile away!. Upside-down Ns are the most common, but it happens with the letters H, O and S as well. And don't get me started on the the reversed A, M, V, W and Xs . . .

One surprising example (which has since been changed [apologies for the poor quality pic]):
:eyepopping:

cjg225

Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 pm

727LOVER wrote:

I had a dude blow up at me in a restaurant in Raleigh, NC one time about that, even though it was fairly discrete. I mean, what the heck are you supposed to do? Get up and go to the bathroom every time you need to blow your nose? Some peoples' noses run when they eat certain foods. Not just how it's spiced, but hot food, cold food, etc. They'd never finish eating.

I try to be discrete about it.

readytotaxi

Wed May 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Bad manners,rudeness, being polite cost nothing. :old:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

TSS

Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 pm

While driving on a nearly-empty highway and traveling at the posted speed limit in the far right lane, there is only one other car visible in any direction. Why does that bother me, you ask? Because the only other car on the road is riding my back bumper despite having one or more empty lanes available for passing.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

dfwjim1

Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
When people join a queue of cars held at lights, but instead of stopping directly behind the car in front they instead stop a few car lengths behind and then spend the next few minutes slowly creeping forward.

I live in South Florida and experience this all the time.

dfwjim1

Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

People who throw litter from their cars is my pet peeve. Is it too much to ask to hold the litter until one finds a trash can?

NIKV69

Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Kno wrote:

People who make complaints like these about millennials based on insulting stereotypes that have no basis in reality. :D

I have hired and had to fire a dozen of them in the last 3 years. All the same. Late all the time, tattoos all over, lazy and asking for a raises every month after horrible job performance while never knowing what a hard days work is. It's not a stereotype buddy. This generation is terrible.

2122M wrote:

People who take lighthearted threads like this one an try their hardest to turn them political.

What did I say that was political? Calling out people for being lazy and entitled is not political take your flamebait to the Hate Trump treads.
727LOVER wrote:

Being an American, living in America....but having to constantly hear about the British Royals.

You really think people should walk outside to blow their nose? I agree about the Royalty rubbish it makes me sick seeing people fawn over monarchs that are filthy rich and attack the rich in our country like they are evil. SMH
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

CCGPV

Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Kno wrote:

People who make complaints like these about millennials based on insulting stereotypes that have no basis in reality. :D

I have hired and had to fire a dozen of them in the last 3 years. All the same. Late all the time, tattoos all over, lazy and asking for a raises every month after horrible job performance while never knowing what a hard days work is. It's not a stereotype buddy. This generation is terrible.

[quote="2122M"]

Said by every older generation since the beginning of time.

You've got to blame the older generation for being such bad parents.
Stay curious

Kno

Wed May 16, 2018 11:38 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

The booming start up world and all of the fastest growing tech companies are thriving off of the backs of millennials. I am one myself and have worked with hundreds from entry level to director and VP level.

If you're struggling to hire hardworking talented millennials then maybe you should reflect on your interview practices and on youself as an employer.

cjg225

Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 pm

Was reminded of another on the way home today since it's been raining every day... People not turning on their headlights when it's raining or when it's dawn/dusk. It's not about if YOU can see; it's about can OTHER people see YOU. Grrr......

casinterest

Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kno wrote:

Either your company is bad at the interview process,the training sucks, or the management sucks? Which is it.? Bad candidates should be weeded out before they are hired.

My company has hired many dedicated and driven candidates from the Millennial generation. None needed to be let go.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

NIKV69

Thu May 17, 2018 2:24 am

Kno wrote:
If you're struggling to hire hardworking talented millennials then maybe you should reflect on your interview practices and on youself as an employer.

Or just hire legal immigrants from south and central America. They run circles around their American counterparts and appreciate a job.
casinterest wrote:

Either your company is bad at the interview process,the training sucks, or the management sucks? Which is it.? Bad candidates should be weeded out before they are hired.

My company has hired many dedicated and driven candidates from the Millennial generation. None needed to be let go.

Of course they were bad hires but it's just astounding how these people have no regard for punctuality, grooming, professionalism etc and feel they are owed something. Which is why most of them are Uber drivers.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

Aesma

Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 am

One that has been mentioned already, people not using their headlights correctly. Really annoying

About cars inching at red lights, doesn't see that here, probably because with most cars being manual, it would be a bit tiring. In fact you often see the opposite, and I do it too, if for some reason a gap appears in front of me, but I see that the light is still red or traffic in front not really moving, I will wait some time before moving.

Another car related one, badly maintained or just old diesel cars/trucks/busses, spewing horrible fumes. These days the weather is great and I drive with an opened window, too often I have to close it because of such a vehicle in front. I will also stop way short of them at red lights, with people behind sometimes complaining.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kno

Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kno wrote:

Or just hire legal immigrants from south and central America. They run circles around their American counterparts and appreciate a job.
casinterest wrote:

Of course they were bad hires but it's just astounding how these people have no regard for punctuality, grooming, professionalism etc and feel they are owed something. Which is why most of them are Uber drivers.

What exactly are you hiring for? Low wage manual labor?

And most Uber and Lyft drivers are pleasant and professional. This all sounds very out of touch.

Airstud

Thu May 17, 2018 4:14 am

When U.S. Bank's bank-by-phone system eliminated the distinction between "card purchase" and "check card purchase."

See, on my custom-made personal-finance-wrangling appoid, I have a 3-letter column for "transaction type," based on how the robot lady at U.S. Bank announced what type of transaction took place. If I used my card as a check-card (signature-based, Visa®-routed), "she" would say "A check card purchase for $14.11 at Trader Joe's bla bla bla" and this would earn a "CCP" designation in my "transaction type" column. Similarly, if I used my card as a debit card (PIN-based, Interlink®-routed), "she" would refer to this not as a check card purchase, but rather, merely a "card purchase," and "CRD" would be inserted into the proper field. Merrily.

NOW, the vile, blamed, fool system says "card purchase" no matter which type of transaction it technically was, necessitating that I both

A) create Airstud-proprietary transaction type designations that will not necessarily reconcile to the ones announced by the system, and

2) create an entire additional field/column in my system called "Type Declarer" to signify whether the 3-letter transaction type code in the eponymous column was indeed announced by the now-vile-blamed-fool system or whether it is one of my proprietary ones. GRRRRRRRRRR

It has also made it necessary for me to just plain blamed KEEP TRACK of whether I'm using my PIN or the check-card function, and I'm not awesome at remembering stuff like that.
Pancakes are delicious.

stl07

Thu May 17, 2018 4:23 am

When I go on a.net for a week straight and nothing has happened in my city.

Airstud

Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 am

When people say "this phenomena" instead of "this phenomenon" (or "these phenomena.")

:duck:
Pancakes are delicious.

TSS

Thu May 17, 2018 4:41 am

cjg225 wrote:
Was reminded of another on the way home today since it's been raining every day... People not turning on their headlights when it's raining or when it's dawn/dusk. It's not about if YOU can see; it's about can OTHER people see YOU. Grrr......

Agreed.

One possible explanation for this phenomenon, which seems to have been increasing over the last few years, is that the instrument cluster/dashboard lights of a lot of cars are illuminated all the time now, not just when the headlights are turned on as in days gone by. The old rule of thumb was "When it's too dark to quickly and easily read the numbers on your (mechanical) odometer, it's time to turn on your headlights".

The advent of much brighter, whiter, LED streetlights has caused another problem at the other end of the spectrum: Drivers who drive on brightly lit city streets with their high beams on all the time because they can no longer distinguish between the light emitted by their low beams and the light coming from the streetlights.

Most dangerous of all, though, are LED police car light bars that don't have a dimmer mode for nighttime use. The brightness of the flashing blue LEDs that is necessary for visibility during the daytime is quite literally blinding at night, making accident scenes where police officers are prone to be outside their vehicles FAR more hazardous for the officers.

Edited to add: Fixed it!
Last edited by TSS on Thu May 17, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Tugger

Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 am

TSS wrote:
the instrument cluster/dashboard lights of a lot of cars are illuminated all the time now,

This reminds me....

One thing that annoys me to no end is the bright nav/radio/acc. control screen in modern dashes. A requirement for any car I own is that the display can be turned off or completely dark. I have blown the mind of many a salesman by telling them this and they have no clue how to do it. And a lot of cars can't do it easily or at all.

I see so many people now at night with their face and car interior brightly lit. I don't know how they can stand it.

I like a nice calm dark driving cockpit at night.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Airstud

Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 am

TSS wrote:
Edited to add: Fixed it!

:cloudnine:
Pancakes are delicious.

BlueberryWheats

Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 am

Aesma wrote:
About cars inching at red lights, doesn't see that here, probably because with most cars being manual, it would be a bit tiring. In fact you often see the opposite, and I do it too, if for some reason a gap appears in front of me, but I see that the light is still red or traffic in front not really moving, I will wait some time before moving.

I see it all that time here in the UK, which is predominantly manual transmission cars. I would totally get it if we were mainly automatic like the US, as you say, it must be tiring on the clutch foot.

Another peeve of mine is when I put a CD or DVD back into it's case the disc must be rotated to be correctly orientated to be straight, not rotated more than 10°. If i open a case and the disc is not straight it winds me up. I know that totally insanely irrational but its just me.

fr8mech

Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 am

People that don't know what this sign means.

https://comps.canstockphoto.com/united- ... 063396.jpg
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
If you want a safe space, go home. If that's not safe, change your home.

CitizenJustin

Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 pm

cjg225 wrote:
This could be a LONG list, but let's start with just one that really irks me: other drivers not using their turn signals.

CitizenJustin wrote:
When people use dumb internet lingo like “low key”

I must be missing something here. "Low key" as in something that is modest or simple? If "yes," hasn't that been around for ages? If "no," I have not the slightest idea what you mean.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/71558/lo ... vocabulary

I don’t really understand your response when saying “I have not the slightest idea what you mean.” I’m saying I find it irritating when people use internet lingo like this specific example.

CitizenJustin

Thu May 17, 2018 4:20 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Millennials who sit home and play video games all day and then demand their dead job pay 30 bucks an hour because you know they deserve it.

I’m a millennial and I don’t know anyone like what you describe. I think you’ve been buying into a bunch of nonsense about millennials that can be easily disproved. All you have to do is get off right wing sites.

cjg225

Thu May 17, 2018 5:30 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/71558/lowkey-word-thats-lowkey-snuck-our-vocabulary

I don’t really understand your response when saying “I have not the slightest idea what you mean.” I’m saying I find it irritating when people use internet lingo like this specific example.

My question to you was, "what do you mean by "low key?", and if "low key" did *not* mean to keep something subtle, which is what I'd think is the extremely common meaning, then I said I'd have no idea what you meant by "internet lingo like low key."

So, you did answer the question by answering what "low key" meant, so now we're on the same page. That's all.

I just don't recognize "low key" as Internet lingo. I recognize it as an extremely common English word that has existed in the language for far longer than the Internet has existed. After reading what you just linked, I guess I have seen it used on Twitter, but just nowhere near enough for it to become associated with horrible Internet speak instead of the everyday, common English manner it's been since the 1800s.

Now that we're on the same page, yeah, I'd be pissed about that, too, if I associated it with horrible Internet speak. The example in that article is just plain dumb. Dear God do I hate how the Internet has changed speech...

sbworcs

Thu May 17, 2018 6:22 pm

People saying "I could care less" - If you could care less you obviously care a certain amount - surely better to say "I couldn't care less"
The best way forwards is upwards!

seb146
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 pm

People who act like they are up on the latest trends but give you a blank stare when you make a current joke. I work with a guy who knows nothing about Miss Vanjie or Yanni vs. Laurel.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DarkSnowyNight

Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 pm

sbworcs wrote:
People saying "I could care less" - If you could care less you obviously care a certain amount - surely better to say "I couldn't care less"

When it's the actual original expression, it makes more sense.
Much like a GE90, I'm a huge fan of Big Twins...

johns624

Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 pm

New uses of old words. "Optics" means lenses, not how something looks. A "toolbox" is something you put wrenches and sockets in, not a list of things you can use. And on and on...

sbworcs

Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
sbworcs wrote:

When it's the actual original expression, it makes more sense.

What is the original expression used for?
The best way forwards is upwards!

CCGPV

Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm

johns624 wrote:
New uses of old words. "Optics" means lenses, not how something looks. A "toolbox" is something you put wrenches and sockets in, not a list of things you can use. And on and on...

I know you wont watch this but whatever:

https://youtu.be/wBOCHPCYnDw

Language is alive and it always has been. It moves and changes from generation to generation and its a great thing.
Stay curious

Brick

Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 pm

When people say "ATM machine" and "PIN number".
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Tugger

Thu May 17, 2018 11:45 pm

CCGPV wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Language is alive and it always has been. It moves and changes from generation to generation and its a great thing.

You do realize that you don't need to approve of what people are bothered by for it to be bothersome to them, don't you?

Seriously, this is a thread where people are asked to post those odd little or big things that bother them, that may not bother anyone else but just bugs them for whatever reason. It is perfectly OK to stop needing to correct people in this thread on what they perceive or feel bothers them.

:scratchchin: Hmmm... I guess what bothers you is people being bothered by something you feel they shouldn't be bothered by? And I guess what bothers me is people telling others that they are wrong about what bothers them. :bigthumbsup:

Tugg

CCGPV

Fri May 18, 2018 12:08 am

Tugger wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
johns624 wrote:

You do realize that you don't need to approve of what people are bothered by for it to be bothersome to them, don't you?

Seriously, this is a thread where people are asked to post those odd little or big things that bother them, that may not bother anyone else but just bugs them for whatever reason. It is perfectly OK to stop needing to correct people in this thread on what they perceive or feel bothers them.

:scratchchin: Hmmm... I guess what bothers you is people being bothered by something you feel they shouldn't be bothered by? And I guess what bothers me is people telling others that they are wrong about what bothers them. :bigthumbsup:

Tugg

I'm sorry I didn't see the rules banning replies to posts here. I apologize unreservedly. If a moderator is reading this please delete all my previous posts in this thread.

PS: Why aren't you castigating the other people replying to posts as well?
Stay curious

Tugger

Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 am

CCGPV wrote:

Your PM doesn't work, it appears you have it turned off.

Tugg

cjg225

Fri May 18, 2018 12:41 am

johns624 wrote:

Might as well just say: Corporate jargon bothers me.

My "favorites" at work are these words and phrases we picked up from some typically-expensive consulting firm. It drives me insane when someone uses one of the dumb words/phrases from this program (which was called "Inclusion") around people who don't work for our company or are new to the company and have not the slightest idea what people from our company are talking about. So, I try to make it a point to not use the language and use the common words and phrases the mean exactly the same thing. One of the worst is this phrase that takes 20x longer to explain to someone who doesn't know what it means than to just use the common word "perspective" or common phrase "point of view."
Last edited by cjg225 on Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CCGPV

Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 am

Tugger wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Tugg

Just say what you want to say here.
Stay curious

Airstud

Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 am

CCGPV wrote:
Tugger wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Tugg

Just say what you want to say here.

Uffgullschlorblz.
Pancakes are delicious.

Tugger

Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 am

Airstud wrote:
Uffgullschlorblz.

Exactly. Thank you.

Tugg

Airstud

Fri May 18, 2018 3:19 am

Tugger wrote:
Airstud wrote:
Uffgullschlorblz.

Exactly. Thank you.

Tugg

Yep. It's what I wanted to say!!!!!
Pancakes are delicious.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 am

sbworcs wrote:

What is the original expression used for?

The same. It just works better. It came with a qualifier at the end. It uses to be more commonly said as 'I could care less than that...' or sometimes 'I could care even less than her/him/you, etc.'

It wasn't even that long ago, and I'm not sure why the truncation, but like a lot of things, it got harder to understand that way. Pretty similar that expression about having and eating cake. ..
Much like a GE90, I'm a huge fan of Big Twins...

CitizenJustin

Fri May 18, 2018 5:25 pm

cjg225 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/71558/lowkey-word-thats-lowkey-snuck-our-vocabulary

My question to you was, "what do you mean by "low key?", and if "low key" did *not* mean to keep something subtle, which is what I'd think is the extremely common meaning, then I said I'd have no idea what you meant by "internet lingo like low key."

So, you did answer the question by answering what "low key" meant, so now we're on the same page. That's all.

I just don't recognize "low key" as Internet lingo. I recognize it as an extremely common English word that has existed in the language for far longer than the Internet has existed. After reading what you just linked, I guess I have seen it used on Twitter, but just nowhere near enough for it to become associated with horrible Internet speak instead of the everyday, common English manner it's been since the 1800s.

Now that we're on the same page, yeah, I'd be pissed about that, too, if I associated it with horrible Internet speak. The example in that article is just plain dumb. Dear God do I hate how the Internet has changed speech...

Oh ok, sorry for the miscommunication. I work in an environment with a lot of young, YouTube obsessed people, so all the new and trendy words are used frequently. For example, they’ll say “I’m lowkey looking forward to tomorrow” or “I’m lowkey not happy with management today”. It makes no sense because they use it to describe completely different things. Is it used to describe something bad or good? In any case, it drives me insane.

I guess I’m lowkey annoyed with these pop culture slaves lol.