CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Israel and Iran trade fire

Thu May 10, 2018 4:47 pm

I’m no military expert, but this seems like something we should be concerned about? It seems like Israel is itching to pick a fight. What exactly does Israel expect to achieve and what are the potential implications?

Thunderboltdrgn

Re: Israel and Iran trade fire

Thu May 10, 2018 4:51 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
I’m no military expert, but this seems like something we should be concerned about? It seems like
Israel is itching to pick a fight. What exactly does Israel expect to achieve and what are the potential implications?

They expect to achieve a reason (and sympathy) for them and USA to justify an attack on/invasion of Iran
by provoking Iran do anything that could warrant a military response from USA/Israel.
Sort of "look they attacked us and we have to defend ourselves". It certainly isn't a coincident that Israel's
attack comes after Trump has decided to pull out of the Iran deal where Trumps EU-allies seems to
have decided to remain committed the Iran deal.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

wingman

Thu May 10, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm not a fan of Israeli hardliners by any stretch, but I'd say Iran is itching just as hard. Their military is suddenly camped out on Israel's doorstep and they openly call for Israel's destruction and the extermination of all Jews. Neither government has much to like about it, but this is possibly the start of another $2T US campaign without any firm objective, zero support from any traditional allies, and quite likely massive direct "interference" by both Russia and China throughout. What for except feeding Trump's emotional retardation I don't know. If we wanted a "good" war with Iran we should've stayed in the nuclear deal and let them violate it first with hard evidence of the facts. Now and yet again we have a cadre of ultra hard right military fanatics fronted by a truly incompetent buffoon in the the White House leading us into a solo war that will cost trillions of dollars after we just slashed the tax revenue base.

It feels like deja vu all over again. I understand that history lessons don't sink in easily but for fuck's sake, Gulf War II just happened.

910A

Thu May 10, 2018 5:13 pm

NSA head John Bolton and Senator Tom Cotton, probably are so excited about this turn of events, and looking forward to getting us into another war.

CCGPV

Thu May 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Let them kill each other. The USA should stay out of any conflict in the Middle East.
Stay curious

windy95

Thu May 10, 2018 6:17 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
I’m no military expert, but this seems like something we should be concerned about? It seems like Israel is itching to pick a fight. What exactly does Israel expect to achieve and what are the potential implications?

Just by stating that only Israel is itching for a fight shows that you are no military expert.
non nobis Domine non nobis sed nomini tuo da gloriam

windy95

Thu May 10, 2018 6:19 pm

dmg626 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

So Iran has missiles in Syria, fires them at Israeli targets and Israel is itching for a fight? That’s rich

Maybe Israel is staging in Qatar or Saudi Arabia and we just don't know it. :roll:
non nobis Domine non nobis sed nomini tuo da gloriam

dmg626

Thu May 10, 2018 6:26 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

So Iran has missiles in Syria, fires them at Israeli targets and Israel is itching for a fight? That’s rich

readytotaxi

Thu May 10, 2018 6:55 pm

A war? Both sides lose history tells us.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Kiwirob

Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 pm

dmg626 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Except Israel fired first and Iran retaliated, nice try though.

dmg626

Thu May 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Except Israel fired first and Iran retaliated, nice try though.

And rightly so, Israel needs to remove the Iranian scum and its supporters from Syria

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 pm

dmg626 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Iran is in Syria by invitation of its lawful government (lawful whether you approve or not), Israel has been launching airstrikes (with American made aircraft) against the Iranian's in Syria and has been bragging about it for some weeks now.

It looks to me as if Iran is poking Israel with a stick in the hopes they do something stupid (like they did when they invaded Lebanon).
The Zionists are the aggressor and have been the aggressors in that region since the 1890s. They could have ended their aggression at any time in the last 130 years and had peace, but that is never what they wanted, including the present day: they want more land.

Why the Jewish people allow their most extreme faction to lead them into constant war and chaos is difficult to understand. The last time they did the same (131CE) didn't work out very well for them nor did the times before that. Somewhere in the Jewish psyche there must be a death wish. One would think modernity would nullify the old testament goofiness, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.

mham001

Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm

salttee wrote:
The Zionists are the aggressor and have been the aggressors in that region since the 1890s. They could have ended their aggression at any time in the last 130 years and had peace, but that is never what they wanted, including the present day: they want more land.

Why would Iranian forces need to be near the Israeli border?

I've been wondering why is Russia turning a blind eye to all of it, they are in charge of the airspace? Netenyahu just went to Moscow last week, they had to have agreed on this. I think the the Russians would rather deal with Jews than Persians.

dfwjim1

Thu May 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Of the Iranian government is so peaceful wishes for good relations with other countries they should pull their forces out of Iraq, Syria and Yemen and withdraw their support for Hezbollah. Ending their chants "of death to Israel and the United States" would help too.

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 9:03 pm

mham001 wrote:
I think the the Russians would rather deal with Jews than Persians.

Which tells us what we already know. You have a child like knowledge of international politics.

Here's some homework for you kid:
If Russia is there to shore up the Assad government, why do you think Russia wants to shore up the Assad government?

Who wants to help Russia shore up the Assad government?
Who wants to eliminate Assad?

therefore:

Who's interests coincide with Russia's interests?
Who's interests are opposed to Russia's interests?

mham001

Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 pm

salttee wrote:
Who's interests coincide with Russia's interests?
Who's interests are opposed to Russia's interests?

What leads you to believe Russia wants Iran influence entrenched in Syria?

Edit: I went back and actually tried to follow your gibberish. Too easy.

Russia is in Syria to gain influence in the region and maintain its existing base. They are not interested in sharing that with Iran, who most seem to believe is attempting a long term military involvement. That you don't know that ....well.
Last edited by mham001 on Thu May 10, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Russia and Iran are neighbors who get along fine. Russia has no problems with Iran as do you.

BTW
Russia doesn't really care about influencing the region, they just want a naval base in the Med. The airbase at Latakia is a bonus.

mham001

Thu May 10, 2018 9:28 pm

salttee wrote:
Just answer the questions.

Putin already answered them.

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 pm

mham001 wrote:
salttee wrote:

Do you think that when you post gibberish, we all think you're so smart we can't even follow you?

Not!

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 9:33 pm

What are you talking about?

mham001

Thu May 10, 2018 9:34 pm

salttee wrote:
mham001 wrote:
salttee wrote:

Do you think that when you post gibberish, we all think you're so smart we can't even follow you?

Not!

That was your quote, are you trying to say it isn't?

Aesma

Thu May 10, 2018 9:36 pm

What I find "interesting" is that all this is happening on Syrian soil. Of course Israel wants to keep some of that soil, but at the moment it's still occupied territory.

dmg626 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Israel has been bombing Iranians in Syria for months.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Thu May 10, 2018 9:40 pm

mham001 wrote:
salttee wrote:

Why would Iranian forces need to be near the Israeli border?

I've been wondering why is Russia turning a blind eye to all of it, they are in charge of the airspace? Netenyahu just went to Moscow last week, they had to have agreed on this. I think the the Russians would rather deal with Jews than Persians.

Isn't Israel basically a Russian colony ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Aesma wrote:
Isn't Israel basically a Russian colony ?
:checkmark:
Ding!

But not necessarily Putin's faction of Russians.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2018 10:19 pm

windy95 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Just by stating that only Israel is itching for a fight shows that you are no military expert.

Exactly, that’s why I said I’m not.

Bigstud69

Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

Not really, Israel is finally allowed to take out the trash now.

Bigstud69

Thu May 10, 2018 10:37 pm

910A wrote:
NSA head John Bolton and Senator Tom Cotton, probably are so excited about this turn of events, and looking forward to getting us into another war.

Let's hope, Iran needs to be dealt with, they are a terror state and need regime change.

DDR

Thu May 10, 2018 10:38 pm

Does anyone think the U.S. would become actively involved if Israel and Iran went to war? It's a scary thought because if they did it could end up with the U.S. fighting Russia.

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 10:47 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
windy95 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Exactly, that’s why I said I’m not.
Israel is itching for a fight, but not like the way Texans etc itch for a fight.
Israel sees an opportunity to destabilize Syria completely and Israel always wants Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan and Syria destabilized. That way Israel can steal more land.

The expansion of "the land of Israel" continues and will continue until the Zionists are satisfied that they have created "Greater Israel" (presumably with buffer zones) or until something stops them. Israel could have peace anytime they call off the expansion program. But there's a catch, any Israeli politician who proposes ending the expansion of Israel and making actual peace with their neighbors will be assassinated forthwith.

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 10:53 pm

DDR wrote:
Does anyone think the U.S. would become actively involved if Israel and Iran went to war?

How can you manage to think otherwise?

Do you think the PNAC story is all hogwash?
Don't you read, or pay attention?

Don't worry about Russia's nukes. Russia would be pleased to see the US get its ass kicked in Iran, and Russia would be more than willing to provide material support for that war, hoping the United States keeps on ever expanding the fighting until we collapse al la Vietnam.

And collapse we will.

DDR

Thu May 10, 2018 11:22 pm

salttee wrote:
DDR wrote:
Does anyone think the U.S. would become actively involved if Israel and Iran went to war?

Don't worry about Russia's nukes. Russia would be pleased to see the US get its ass kicked in Iran, and Russia would be more than willing to provide material support for that war, hoping the United States keeps on ever expanding the fighting until we collapse al la Vietnam.

And collapse we will.

Your response to my post is disappointing because I hoped to hear from someone with an intelligent answer that could teach me something. That isn't you.

salttee

Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Answer the question: Do you think the PNAC story is all hogwash?

I'll lead you by the hand if you want.

johns624

Fri May 11, 2018 12:02 am

DDR wrote:
salttee wrote:
DDR wrote:

And collapse we will.

Your response to my post is disappointing because I hoped to hear from someone with an intelligent answer that could teach me something. That isn't you.

That was the intelligent (and correct) answer. The more countries the US gets bogged down in, the more freedom Russia has to do what they want.

johns624

Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 am

salttee wrote:
[Israel sees an opportunity to destabilize Syria completely and Israel always wants Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan and Syria destabilized. That way Israel can steal more land.

The expansion of "the land of Israel" continues and will continue until the Zionists are satisfied that they have created "Greater Israel" (presumably with buffer zones) or until something stops them. Israel could have peace anytime they call off the expansion program. But there's a catch, any Israeli politician who proposes ending the expansion of Israel and making actual peace with their neighbors will be assassinated forthwith.
It's their own little version of lebensraum, except that they let others do most of their fighting for them.

johns624

Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 am

dragon-wings

Fri May 11, 2018 12:11 am

Bigstud69 wrote:
910A wrote:

Let's hope, Iran needs to be dealt with, they are a terror state and need regime change.

The US shouldn't be involved in regime changes in Iran. Look how well regime change worked in Iraq and Libya. :sarcastic:
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

salttee

Fri May 11, 2018 12:20 am

johns624 wrote:
It's their own little version of lebensraum, except that they let others do most of their fighting for them.
They used to suck the British into fighting their battles for them back in the 20th century. But right now the only chump they can find is the United states.

The Britts are sorry for their mistakes back then and in the future so will we be sorry for supporting what is just one more European colonist in the ME.

salttee

Fri May 11, 2018 12:25 am

dragon-wings wrote:
Bigstud69 wrote:
910A wrote:

The US shouldn't be involved in regime changes in Iran. Look how well regime change worked in Iraq and Libya. :sarcastic:

And Iran, we are still basking in the blowback from 1953.

mcogator

Fri May 11, 2018 12:27 am

dragon-wings wrote:
Bigstud69 wrote:
910A wrote:

You mean, they shouldn't be involved again. The last time they helped put the Shah in place over the democratically elected government. Sort of like Sisi in Egypt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Ir ... p_d%27état
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

c933103

Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Of the Iranian government is so peaceful wishes for good relations with other countries they should pull their forces out of Iraq, Syria and Yemen and withdraw their support for Hezbollah. Ending their chants "of death to Israel and the United States" would help too.

They are doing what other countries do here?

salttee

Fri May 11, 2018 2:22 am

c933103 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

They are doing what other countries do here?
Also there is the fact that they are invited into all three of these countries by the governments and the people. As Thomas pointed out, the last time Iran invaded someone was India in 1739.

seb146

Fri May 11, 2018 5:20 am

dragon-wings wrote:
Bigstud69 wrote:
910A wrote:

The United States did not force regime change in Libya unlike Iraq. A number of nations helped fight against Qaddafi when opposition forces started fighting against government forces.

EDIT:

When was the last Iranian terror attack against the United States on American soil?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Redd

Fri May 11, 2018 7:34 am

Bigstud69 wrote:
910A wrote:

They have a democratically elected moderate leader who wanted to deal with the USA and the west and find a political compromise. Now the USA has undermined his leadership in the eyes of the Iranian hardliners and undone years of work to softening the extreme religions political front in the country, proving that America cannot be trusted with it's diplomacy. Besides, regime change isn't something the USA is very good (or successful) at, and it's not possible in Iran. In case you don't remember how the American supported Shah ended up, exile. The people of Iran won't accept that kind of thing... America can work with Iran to make change but most definitely doesn't have to possibility of dictating it to them.

So yes, Iran needs to be dealt with but with diplomacy. Which was working quite well until the Orange One came along.

einsteinboricua

Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

I don't see you demanding Qatar and Saudi Arabia withdraw their funding for extremist groups either. What's good for the goose...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Alias1024

Fri May 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Redd wrote:

They have a democratically elected moderate leader who wanted to deal with the USA and the west and find a political compromise. Now the USA has undermined his leadership in the eyes of the Iranian hardliners and undone years of work to softening the extreme religions political front in the country, proving that America cannot be trusted with it's diplomacy.

Second time the US has reversed course on a moderate Iranian leader. Remember George W Bush’s ‘Axis of Evil’ speech? It will be difficult going forward for countries like Iran to trust the US if we keep seeing major policy reversals like this between every presidential administration.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

readytotaxi

Fri May 11, 2018 2:05 pm

DDR wrote:
Does anyone think the U.S. would become actively involved if Israel and Iran went to war? It's a scary thought because if they did it could end up with the U.S. fighting Russia.

I think the U.S. would become involved if Iran blocked/mined the Straits of Hormuz.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Redd

Sat May 12, 2018 8:16 am

Alias1024 wrote:
Redd wrote:

They have a democratically elected moderate leader who wanted to deal with the USA and the west and find a political compromise. Now the USA has undermined his leadership in the eyes of the Iranian hardliners and undone years of work to softening the extreme religions political front in the country, proving that America cannot be trusted with it's diplomacy.

Remember George W Bush’s ‘Axis of Evil’ speech? It will be difficult going forward for countries like Iran to trust the US if we keep seeing major policy reversals like this between every presidential administration.

Yes I remember. Fun times I thought would never return. Was I ever wrong.

aviationaware

Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 am

Pretty disgusted at those here who try to paint Israel as some war mongering hellhole. Israel is merely defending itself from a terrorist regime in Iran that wants to destroy it.

Jouhou

Sun May 13, 2018 9:51 am

Israel does their thing. I don't agree with their "thing" but, eh, it seems to work to make the country a bastion of stability in a region that can be described as a mess of instability. Israel, you do you. Iran, you can do more productive things if you want to project power in the region. It's not like Iran doesn't have the human capital to become an economic powerhouse in the region. They just need to break out of old habits.

WIederling

Sun May 13, 2018 10:58 am

wingman wrote:
Their military is suddenly camped out on Israel's doorstep and they openly call for Israel's destruction and the extermination of all Jews.

If you haven't noticed already:
Syria is right next to Israel. Iran supporting Syria with its military is not suddenly there either.

The I'd read the original where the helpful CIA translation says : "exterminate all jews".
Murphy is an optimist