Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

cop shoots a groundhog

Thu May 10, 2018 2:42 am

A groundhog was blocking traffic on a busy Baltimore street

I'm no PETA advocate, but discharging your weapon unnecessarily in public-----no disciplinary action for that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg88v7S1W4s

The official comment from the police smells like BS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLWOz7MYfU

jetero

Re: cop shoots a groundhog

Thu May 10, 2018 6:40 am

Baltimore has busy streets?

mad99

Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am

shows how these guys are trained. He was not obeying orders so I shot him.

Jouhou

Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 am

To be fair, groundhogs are real dicks. And if they are doing something bizarre and unnatural like blocking traffic, probably rabid.

Dutchy

Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 am

geee, really the US Police is shooting animals now? Retrain the whole police force I would say

petertenthije

Thu May 10, 2018 9:42 am

It was a Black groundhog coming straight at the cop armed with 18 knife-like nails. What was the groundhog thinking disobeying orders. ;-)

zkojq

Thu May 10, 2018 10:41 am

Ridiculously trigger happy.

einsteinboricua

Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 am

Groundhogs need to obey orders. Had the groundhog obeyed, the police wouldn't have shot him.

It's very simple!

stratosphere

Thu May 10, 2018 11:02 am

Cops are trigger happy anyway they will look for any reason to discharge a weapon. I remember when my mothers Rottweiler was down at a neighbors house playing with another dog and her paw got caught inside the collar of the other dog because the other dogs collar was on too tight. They were both howling and the other dog was going in and out of consciousness. Local Barney Fife shows up first thing he does is pull out his gun and intends to shoot the dogs that were contained in a fenced in back yard. Thankfully another neighbor had some sense and got bolt cutters and freed the dogs. So see cops aren't racist they will pretty much shoot anything.

Airontario

Thu May 10, 2018 12:34 pm

No SPCA or Humane Society in Baltimore that could've been called to deal with this in a proper way?

Calder

Thu May 10, 2018 12:53 pm

The groundhog was blocking traffic.. really?

I bet if someone drove at it, it would have moved.

Edit: After watching the video there is clearly something wrong with that animal. Groundhogs (at least where I'm from) are quite skiddish, there's no way one would ever approach a person like that.

bennett123

Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Pity they did not do a Rabies test.

mad99

Thu May 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Groundhog lives matter!!

readytotaxi

Thu May 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Honey I'm home, guess what's for dinner !

dtw2hyd

Thu May 10, 2018 4:14 pm

mad99 wrote:
Groundhog lives matter!!

It does, at least in Michigan and most states. They are part of the eco system. I cannot close its borrow, illegal. I cannot live trap and take it farther than 100 meters away from its borrow. Possession or transportation of wild animals is illegal.

I can live with it and its destruction (or) live trap and call city's fire department to collect it.

University of Michigan got into trouble because they used dry ice to kill groundhogs.

I am surprised a law enforcement officer didn't know the law.

CCGPV

Thu May 10, 2018 4:38 pm

This was actually a reasonable response. It was obviously either rabid or had some other issues. They do not behave like this normally. This is exactly what animal control would have done anyway.

dtw2hyd

Thu May 10, 2018 5:06 pm

CCGPV wrote:
This was actually a reasonable response. It was obviously either rabid or had some other issues. They do not behave like this normally. This is exactly what animal control would have done anyway.

Groundhogs hibernate for several months and are just coming out. It probably crossed the road in search of food and trying to go back to its habitat. This brilliant cop blocked its way and shot after it almost crossed the road. That is not normal behavior, for the human.

CCGPV

Thu May 10, 2018 5:23 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Groundhogs hibernate for several months and are just coming out. It probably crossed the road in search of food and trying to go back to its habitat. This brilliant cop blocked its way and shot after it almost crossed the road. That is not normal behavior, for the human.

This was not normal groundhog behavior at all. The local humane society spokeswoman said as much.

This is a non-story that happens every day across the world. I've lost count the times I've seen police, animal control, and citizens dispatch sick, injured, and aggressive animals in my town alone.

But hey, its fun to try and denigrate the police for doing anything so lets go.

dtw2hyd

Thu May 10, 2018 7:28 pm

CCGPV wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

This was not normal groundhog behavior at all. The local humane society spokeswoman said as much.

This is a non-story that happens every day across the world. I've lost count the times I've seen police, animal control, and citizens dispatch sick, injured, and aggressive animals in my town alone.

Humane society which puts perfectly healthy animals to sleep on a schedule?

There was no other human on the road. Cop couldn’t figure out what woodchuck is trying to do, ie., cross the road and kept blocking. Finally shot it in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiwirob

Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 pm

CCGPV wrote:

What kind of hick backwater hellhole do you come from? In a modern efficient society these sorts of issues are dealt with correctly, getting out the gun and shootings is the idiot simpleton approach.

Amazonski

Thu May 10, 2018 7:47 pm

It looks to me like "suicide by cop". The extremely long winter probably depressed the poor groundhog. Which is ironical tho, because the long winter is his fault.

CCGPV

Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What kind of hick backwater hellhole do you come from? In a modern efficient society these sorts of issues are dealt with correctly, getting out the gun and shootings is the idiot simpleton approach.

Its America dude, we're all garbage wastes of life according to you.

Moose135

Thu May 10, 2018 8:47 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Pity they did not do a Rabies test.

Police contract prohibits officers from being subject to Rabies tests...
:rotfl:

mham001

Thu May 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Really. What is more efficient than killing a rabid animal while it is attacking a human? Cost $0.30. Please, explain how a "modern efficient society" handles wild rabid animals.

Or we could say, what kind of sick, emaciated inbred hellhole do you come from that doesn't know how to protect itself from the world? But that wouldn't be very nice.

Freakysh

Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

I'm usually with you on most things, but this one :lol:

What was he going to do, get a negotiator in? It was an overgrown rat, who gives a rat's arse.

dtw2hyd

Thu May 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Freakysh wrote:
... It was an overgrown rat, who gives a rat's arse.

Groundhog belongs to the squirrel family.

Doesn't look rabid at all, coming out of long hibernation they do look confused in early spring.

It wants to go back to its borrow, he is in the way.

DDR

Thu May 10, 2018 10:30 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Honey I'm home, guess what's for dinner !

That was just wrong. But extremely funny. I almost spit my tea out, LOL.

Freakysh

Thu May 10, 2018 11:21 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
... It was an overgrown rat, who gives a rat's arse.

Groundhog belongs to the squirrel family.

Doesn't look rabid at all, coming out of long hibernation they do look confused in early spring.

It wants to go back to its borrow, he is in the way.

Can't tell when the cop got there, but I'd imagine he'd had plenty of time to cross the road before the cop arrived, if we're going to make up scenarios

I wonder, if the cop had been Bill Murray, would he do things differently tomorrow?

WarRI1

Fri May 11, 2018 2:51 am

When I was a Police Officer way back, I shot a very large rat, I have never regretted being trigger happy either, even after all these years.

Kiwirob

Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 am

Freakysh wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What was he going to do, get a negotiator in? It was an overgrown rat, who gives a rat's arse.

If this was NZ it would be either the local council animal control or the RSPCA, both would have caught the animal and taken it away, no need for a cop to get out his gun and go rambo on a groundhog.

CCGPV

Fri May 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

If this was NZ it would be either the local council animal control or the RSPCA, both would have caught the animal and taken it away, no need for a cop to get out his gun and go rambo on a groundhog.

Ya'll don't have rabies or Anaplasmosis or any of the other common dangerous things that infect wildlife everywhere in North America. It might seem harsh coming from a nation that has no experience with dangerous or unusually behaving wildlife but this is common practice in just about every country that has issues like this.

But this isn't about the animal. Its about hating on America.

dtw2hyd

Fri May 11, 2018 4:12 pm

CCGPV wrote:

Ya'll don't have rabies or Anaplasmosis or any of the other common dangerous things that infect wildlife everywhere in North America. It might seem harsh coming from a nation that has no experience with dangerous or unusually behaving wildlife but this is common practice in just about every country that has issues like this.

You are entitled to a opinion, but you should not generalize your personal opinion to entire America.

There are close to a dozen groundhogs roaming around my neighborhood. In our backyards, on the roads and everywhere. Even kids know what to do, ie., to move out of its way.

Having stopped traffic, he should have the commonsense that the groundhog has right of way.

CCGPV

Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

You are entitled to a opinion, but you should not generalize your personal opinion to entire America.

There are close to a dozen groundhogs roaming around my neighborhood. In our backyards, on the roads and everywhere. Even kids know what to do, ie., to move out of its way.

Having stopped traffic, he should have the commonsense that the groundhog has right of way.

He did move out of its way in the video. It reversed course and followed him. You're ignoring the fact this animal was in the road for who knows how long it took someone to call the police, who then probably took some time to arrive on scene. It then took another couple minutes for the cop to act. Lets say conservatively that's 15 minutes.

Not to mention its causing a danger to the public because people are stopping on a roadway. People have been injured and killed because of this. Its sad when animals are killed on the roads but citizens stopping traffic and waiting around for a groundhog is more dangerous. If there's a moose or bear in the road, yeah, call animal control. A groundhog or possum? Not so much.

Jouhou

Sat May 12, 2018 4:33 pm

I actually watched the video this time, that thing was definitely rabid. If you don't think that was rabies, watch some videos of rabid animals.

CitizenJustin

Sun May 13, 2018 11:25 am

CCGPV wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Police will always be scrutinized for their behavior because they’re in a position of authority and with that comes responsibility. Crime has plummeted, yet police killings and brutality have increased, so they’re under the spotlight and will be criticized for anything and everything as it should be in a free country.

I for one think harsh and open criticism of law enforcement is acceptable and healthy.

Freakysh

Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 am

The cop obviously was in two minds as to what to do, I get that feeling from the delay to execute the second shot. If he was gung ho on killing it, he would have probably put a couple of bullets into it straight away. The delay tells me he wasn't comfortable doing what he did, but thought it was what needed to be done. Think people are being overcritical of the guy for killing an animal that would generally be thought of as a pest in my country.

Flaps

Sun May 13, 2018 11:45 pm

Groundhogs have always been on my properties and I deal with them regularly. The biggest harm they usually do is to dig up gardens. They won't bother you and they are not aggressive unless frightened or backed into a corner. If that happens though look out, they can be ferocious if protecting themselves. This groundhog was not displaying typical groundhog behavior. It was however displaying typical rabid behavior. The officer probably did the right thing in this circumstance.

WarRI1

Mon May 14, 2018 3:02 am

Flaps wrote:
Groundhogs have always been on my properties and I deal with them regularly. The biggest harm they usually do is to dig up gardens. They won't bother you and they are not aggressive unless frightened or backed into a corner. If that happens though look out, they can be ferocious if protecting themselves. This groundhog was not displaying typical groundhog behavior. It was however displaying typical rabid behavior. The officer probably did the right thing in this circumstance.

:checkmark: :checkmark: Of course he did, I have them under my shed, I would not harm them except if and when they exhibit that type of behavior.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Flaps wrote:
typical groundhog behavior.

Please explain

Flaps wrote:
typical rabid behavior..

Please explain

CCGPV

Mon May 14, 2018 6:44 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Flaps wrote:
typical groundhog behavior.

Please explain

Flaps wrote:
typical rabid behavior..

Please explain

Typical groundhogs mind their own business munching on grass and foraging. They usually skedaddle if someone starts approaching them.
If they've grown up in cities they usually don't have issues with cars but their eyesight is pretty bad. You see them dead near roads all the time. They are pretty much just big squirrels.

The raccoons, possums, and groundhogs with rabies and distemper I've seen they usually just act out of it. They walk in circles for hours at a time or stumble around like they're drunk. They just don't react like a normal animal would which is usually to run away. They become catatonic near the end. Most of the time its not rabies but distemper or other viruses.

The animal control around here doesn't usually shoot them but they gas them with C02. If they find injured deer, cow, or elk they'll use a captive bolt pistol or a gun.

dtw2hyd

Mon May 14, 2018 7:17 pm

CCGPV wrote:
...The raccoons, possums, and groundhogs with rabies and distemper I've seen they usually just act out of it. They walk in circles for hours at a time or stumble around like they're drunk. They just don't react like a normal animal would which is usually to run away. .

Exactly, here are few videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGL1PWPgd4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3scWJYHtxiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QER3Ycm8AHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWEo6i7Lvak

IMHO This one doesn't show such symptoms. It is determined to cross the road, probably because it has babies in a burrow on the other side of the road. It was trying to escape from the human.

WarRI1

Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 am

I have watched them for years in my yard, the Mother will never go near you for any reason, the will skedaddle away and take the long route around to their burrow. Very skittish when you get within a certain radius near them. My experience anyway.

ilovelamp

Tue May 15, 2018 5:42 am

I guess his shadow has a few holes in it now.

dtw2hyd

Tue May 15, 2018 2:59 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
I guess his shadow has a few holes in it now.

Also, not knowing cop will use stand your ground excuse caused her demise.