User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 07, 2018 6:54 am

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
Brick
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 1999 11:08 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Some of the pictures taken in the Leilani Estates area yesterday are really incredible. I can't image living some place for a long time, then one day a seam opens up in your yard and starts spewing lava high in the air:

Image

Image

Image
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 07, 2018 5:34 pm

I've always been fascinated by volcanoes and have visited four active ones in my life, Kiluea included. The photos and videos from this latest activity are mesmerizing. I feel bad for the folks that lost their homes but it's a calculated risk buying property in that area of the Big Island. The Kona Coast would have been much less prone to being wiped out by lava. It's much like people that buy a house near a river (myself included) - we know that its possible we may get flooded out someday so have to decide if it's worth taking the chance before we purchase.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 07, 2018 6:00 pm

ER757 wrote:
It's much like people that buy a house near a river (myself included) - we know that its possible we may get flooded out someday so have to decide if it's worth taking the chance before we purchase.



There are maps that chart all of the known lava flows for the past several hundred years.

It's possible to live in zones that historically are least likely to have lava flows or fissures.

But any coastal location could suffer a tsunami.

The land in the area where the lava fissures are occurring, has some of the cheapest real estate in Hawaii. People move there and build homes there, work and/or retire there, because it's what they can afford to do. It's that, or live in a tiny apartment in the city.

It's like, why do people live along a river in a flood plain of some kind, with no levees? Because it's what they can afford. The land protected by levees is more expensive.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
ER757 wrote:
It's much like people that buy a house near a river (myself included) - we know that its possible we may get flooded out someday so have to decide if it's worth taking the chance before we purchase.



There are maps that chart all of the known lava flows for the past several hundred years.

It's possible to live in zones that historically are least likely to have lava flows or fissures.

But any coastal location could suffer a tsunami.

The land in the area where the lava fissures are occurring, has some of the cheapest real estate in Hawaii. People move there and build homes there, work and/or retire there, because it's what they can afford to do. It's that, or live in a tiny apartment in the city.

It's like, why do people live along a river in a flood plain of some kind, with no levees? Because it's what they can afford. The land protected by levees is more expensive.

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well. In my case, we have levees but the earthen dam upstream was weakened about 10 years ago and until they repaired it we were told the flood risk would be like 1 in 3. Took two years for the dam repairs to be finished. Had a couple nervous winters in the meantime whenever a big rainstorm came through.
On the volcano front, a few years ago there was a news story about a development that was going on a little closer to Mt. Rainier than I am and they uncovered a bunch of old tree stumps and things that showed evidence of past pyroclastic flows there. One of the residents was on saying "gee, if I knew there was a danger of that, I wouldn't have bought here." I just thought "hey buddy, did you not notice that 14,000 foot tall VOLCANO just off to your left?" :o
 
StarAC17
Posts: 3557
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 07, 2018 7:14 pm

ER757 wrote:
I've always been fascinated by volcanoes and have visited four active ones in my life, Kiluea included. The photos and videos from this latest activity are mesmerizing. I feel bad for the folks that lost their homes but it's a calculated risk buying property in that area of the Big Island. The Kona Coast would have been much less prone to being wiped out by lava. It's much like people that buy a house near a river (myself included) - we know that its possible we may get flooded out someday so have to decide if it's worth taking the chance before we purchase.


At least Kiluea is a shield volcano and the Lava flows won't kill anybody, unless they are stupid enough to get close and win a Darwin award.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 07, 2018 9:31 pm

ABC/GMA has had some good coverage of the eruption:

https://abcnews.go.com/alerts/volcanoes?
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Is this the end of Halemaʻumaʻu Crater’s lava lake?

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/ ... -lava-lake

In a series of events that started with the collapse of Puu Oo’s crater floor on April 30, 2018 Halemaumau Crater’s lava lake has been receding. On Sunday, May 6, it was recorded that the lava lake dropped 722 feet.

Image


The lava draining from Halemaumau Crater can last be compared to the time it drained in 1924, and the lava fell below the water table, causing earthquakes, explosions and crater collapses. That lasted for two weeks, and the lake disappeared for 85 years before returning to the summit.

Image
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Thu May 10, 2018 6:43 am

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
Airstud
Posts: 4108
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 am

I did not authorize any of this current volcanic activity.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Thu May 10, 2018 7:39 am

Airstud wrote:
I did not authorize any of this current volcanic activity.


Did it require your authorization? It got the egg salad & pancake waiver, no?
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin
 
Airstud
Posts: 4108
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Thu May 10, 2018 8:13 am

bgm wrote:
Airstud wrote:
I did not authorize any of this current volcanic activity.


egg salad & pancake waiver


:boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Fri May 11, 2018 7:44 am

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Fri May 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Those 1924 photos are pretty impressive - that last one with the 8 ton boulder hurled over a mile high is quite a testament to the power of the eruption
 
CCGPV
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Fri May 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Airstud wrote:
I did not authorize any of this current volcanic activity.


Global climate change doesn't stop for any one man.
Stay curious
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Sun May 13, 2018 11:51 pm

It's just "hissing" .... until ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRbLD-YTnEE
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 14, 2018 1:14 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
It's just "hissing" .... until ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRbLD-YTnEE

Graphic example of why you only observe these eruptions from a good distance away.
From what I saw on the news today, the concern is the rapid subsidence of the lava lake in the summit crater - they say if it hits the water table there could be a large explosive eruption
 
dmg626
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 14, 2018 1:18 am

Has this affected air travel at all besides the immediate area around the volcano?
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 am

dmg626 wrote:
Has this affected air travel at all besides the immediate area around the volcano?


Not really. Because this lava is spilling out of fissures around the base versus the top, there's not much ash being emitted into the air. Flights to and from the islands are able to traverse over the big island without much ado. And the lava flow is only impacting the south-southeast portions of the island, at least 20 miles or so from ITO, so there hasn't been a need to shut down ops at ITO. And KOA is on the other side of the mountain, far from any danger.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 am

USGS MAPS: Volcano Hazards Program HVO Kilauea

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/ki ... _maps.html
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 am

Ikaika Marzo from Pahoa, HI has taken some amazing (sometimes long) videos of the fissure eruptions and posted them to his Facebook Account. Be sure to click the video setting in FB to give you the HD stream!!!

https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/videos_by

https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/v ... 593112102/

https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/v ... 493162012/

https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/v ... 476727247/

https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/v ... 323152529/
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 3:42 am

Kilauea Alert Level = WARNING

WARNING: Hazardous eruption is imminent, underway, or suspected.

------------------------------------

Aviation Color Code = RED

RED: Eruption is imminent with significant emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere likely

OR

eruption is underway

or

suspected with significant emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere [ash-plume height specified, if possible].

------------------------------------

Kilauea will stay at the WARNING Alert Level up to and when there's any hazardous eruption, of ash, rocks, or lava....

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/about_alerts.html
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Kilauea Alert Level = WARNING

WARNING: Hazardous eruption is imminent, underway, or suspected.

------------------------------------

Aviation Color Code = RED

RED: Eruption is imminent with significant emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere likely

OR

eruption is underway

or

suspected with significant emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere [ash-plume height specified, if possible].

------------------------------------

Kilauea will stay at the WARNING Alert Level up to and when there's any hazardous eruption, of ash, rocks, or lava....

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/about_alerts.html


Make America Erupt Again!
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin
 
nwadeicer
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 4:41 am

Oh well, shit happens, you build your house on a volcano, you know the risks. Do not feel sorry for them one bit. Please tell me DIRECTFLT you live there, please! I just love watching the videos of the lava slowly crawling towards the car and houses. Slow, impending, doom!
I miss the Red Tail
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 7:31 am

nwadeicer wrote:
Oh well, shit happens, you build your house on a volcano, you know the risks. Do not feel sorry for them one bit. Please tell me DIRECTFLT you live there, please! I just love watching the videos of the lava slowly crawling towards the car and houses. Slow, impending, doom!


nwadeicer, lots are still available. I have one picked out for you with a house that comes with geothermal heating. :lol:

Image
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 6969
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:


He just wants to be able to call a mulligan.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 8:56 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

I sent that to my cousin who is *not* a golfer and captioned it with "see, we golfers don't let the little things distract us from our game"
I have a feeling this is pic going to end up being a classic meme for years to come
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

next time I am on the Big Island I have to play that course - screw Mauna Lani and Mauna Kea resorts, THIS is the place to play :bigthumbsup:
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Sat May 19, 2018 6:11 am

Massive lava eruption filmed yesterday !!

Particularity at 27:00 in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9PcgTQDJSc
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Sun May 20, 2018 7:05 am

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/ki ... ology.html

Image

Helicopter overflight of Kīlauea Volcano's lower East Rift zone on May 19, 2018, around 8:18 AM, HST. ‘A‘ā lava flows emerging from the elongated fissure 16-20 form channels. The flow direction in this picture is from upper center to the lower left.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatorie ... e-2058.mp4
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Sun May 20, 2018 8:28 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_chronology.html

Image

Helicopter overflight of Kīlauea Volcano's lower East Rift zone on May 19, 2018, around 8:18 AM, HST. ‘A‘ā lava flows emerging from the elongated fissure 16-20 form channels. The flow direction in this picture is from upper center to the lower left.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatorie ... e-2058.mp4

An amazing photo and a truly awesome display by Madame Pele' - saw a news report this morning saying it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. I feel badly for the folks that lost their homes, but it's a risk they took buying property on that side of the island.
Are sightseeing helicopter flights from ITO still operating in that area or have they been suspended? When I went on my flight, it was truly one of the highlights of my life watching a volcano in action from so close.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Mon May 21, 2018 1:46 am

ER757 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_chronology.html

Image

Helicopter overflight of Kīlauea Volcano's lower East Rift zone on May 19, 2018, around 8:18 AM, HST. ‘A‘ā lava flows emerging from the elongated fissure 16-20 form channels. The flow direction in this picture is from upper center to the lower left.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatorie ... e-2058.mp4

An amazing photo and a truly awesome display by Madame Pele' - saw a news report this morning saying it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. I feel badly for the folks that lost their homes, but it's a risk they took buying property on that side of the island.
Are sightseeing helicopter flights from ITO still operating in that area or have they been suspended? When I went on my flight, it was truly one of the highlights of my life watching a volcano in action from so close.


No tourist flights yet, as this is a civil emergency for now.

But, you can approach the outflow by sea. But no tourist approaches by land either.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 6969
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Tue May 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Good shot of the flow entering the water. Lots of beach building going on for the big island.

https://www.facebook.com/USGSVolcanoes/ ... 799505504/
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 6969
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 23, 2018 1:38 pm

A good presentation by the USGS on what is going on with good images and videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3kKCxXIF5c
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
Brick
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 1999 11:08 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Wed May 23, 2018 4:00 pm

This all presents a great opportunity to dispose of a few bodies. :lol:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 6969
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Thu May 31, 2018 2:50 pm

The flow is really going now out of Fissure 8. Some of the hottest magma possible is coming out of the vents. This means the lava flows faster.

https://gizmodo.com/hottest-fastest-lav ... 1826448322
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:46 pm

To put the misery in Paradise of the 228 lost homes, so far, in perspective, the loss of homes (with no lives lost), while painful to each family member involved, is a drop in the bucket of the pain and loss of life to those homes and lives destroyed over the years in California fires, which have been 10 times worse, more than once...

In comparison, lava is only worse in permanent home destruction, as any burned out home in California could be re-built, but lava destroys homes and the land to build them on, etc.

Here a couple of highlights:

Oakland firestorm of 1991 destroyed 2,843 single-family homes, (and 437 multi-family units).

The Valley Fire of 2015 that started on September 12 in Lake County, California, destroyed 1,322 homes, (and 27 apartment buildings).

The Tubbs Fire of October 2017, was the most destructive wildfire in California history, burning parts of Napa, Sonoma, and Lake counties in Northern California, and affecting the city of Santa Rosa the most with more than 2,800 homes incinerated.

https://leilaniestates.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... tive_fires
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 6969
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2018 Hawaii Volcanic Activity

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 am

So now tourists are getting injured due to getting to close to the sea entrance flows.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/16/us/hawai ... index.html


This event episode is quite amazing as it is reshaping so much of the Kilauea part of the island.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dutchy, L410Turbolet, moo, qfflyer, Reinhardt and 47 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos