Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Investigators: DNA from genealogy site caught 'Golden State Killer'

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 am

The arrest yesterday of the Golden State Killer" apparently is the first made from an initial DNA match to a close relative to an unknown suspect.

http://mynews4.com/news/nation-world/in ... ate-killer

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Re: Investigators: DNA from genealogy site caught 'Golden State Killer'

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:26 am

If law enforcement located the suspect through a genealogy site, it could raise ethical issues, particularly if individuals did not consent to having their genetic profiles searched against crime scene evidence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nyt ... r.amp.html

WarRI1

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:30 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
If law enforcement located the suspect through a genealogy site, it could raise ethical issues, particularly if individuals did not consent to having their genetic profiles searched against crime scene evidence.

The most important thing is he is identified after all theses years, no matter how they did it.

LittleFokker

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:36 am

A HUGE assist needs to go to Michelle McNamara (recently deceased spouse of comedian Patton Oswalt) who wrote a book about the killer and helped reignite interest in the case. Patton assisted in getting her book published posthumously.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/book ... swalt.html

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:57 am

WarRI1 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

The most important thing is he is identified after all theses years, no matter how they did it.

I agree. I quoted the New York Times article, but I don't agree with it.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:26 am

This is troubling in so many way, him being a policeman, getting married and raising a family. First he was a rapists, who became a serial rapist, then became a cold blooded murder and advancing into a serial killer. Everything i have ever read, is that they don't stop. Yet it seems like he stopped cold in 1986.

Perhaps he stopped because he found out about DNA.

read this

DNA was first used to aid a criminal investigation by Professor Jeffreys in 1986. This investigation used DNA fingerprinting techniques to link semen stain samples, collected from two rapes/murders that had occurred three years apart in 1983 and 1986, in a small village in Leicestershire, UK. The probability of this match occurring by chance was calculated as 5.8 x 10-8. This result not only linked the two crimes and secured the conviction of the perpetrator Colin Pitchfork, but also exonerated an innocent man implicated in the murders and led to the first mass screening project undertaken for DNA profiling in the world.

Regardless, it is amazing that relatives just wanting to know their heritage and tree line linage, outed him after all this time.

salttee

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:59 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Perhaps he stopped because he found out about DNA....... DNA was first used to aid a criminal investigation by Professor Jeffreys in 1986. This investigation used DNA fingerprinting techniques to link semen stain samples, collected from two rapes/murders that had occurred three years apart in 1983 and 1986, in a small village in Leicestershire, UK. The probability of this match occurring by chance was calculated as 5.8 x 10-8. This result not only linked the two crimes and secured the conviction of the perpetrator Colin Pitchfork, but also exonerated an innocent man implicated in the murders and led to the first mass screening project undertaken for DNA profiling in the world.
Good find. You're probably right.

Aesma

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 am

I'm wary of giving my DNA and would resist it even if it was asked of me during a criminal investigation.

Still, as long as I have a family and they're not as paranoid about it, it's almost pointless.

A guy recently found his father the same way, he was conceived in vitro and in France donors are anonymous. He put his DNA on a genealogy website and found a relative, through which he found his father (not even in France).

Dutchy

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:51 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Of course, it is good a serial killer has been caught. How he has been caught is troublesome. I hate to live in a society which has total control and I feel this is a step towards this.

These commercial DNA-sites are quite dangerous. They are known to sell off their databases to the pharmaceutical industry and now apparently justice department can browse through the data, without a focus. I would never have my DNA checked with such a firm.

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Of course, it is good a serial killer has been caught. How he has been caught is troublesome. I hate to live in a society which has total control and I feel this is a step towards this.

These commercial DNA-sites are quite dangerous. They are known to sell off their databases to the pharmaceutical industry and now apparently justice department can browse through the data, without a focus. I would never have my DNA checked with such a firm.

One of the articles I read but can't find right now said the match was done without the knowledge or cooperation of the DNA database company. The management of one of the companies said they only work with law enforcement if there is a court order.

Dutchy

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:33 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

One of the articles I read but can't find right now said the match was done without the knowledge or cooperation of the DNA database company. The management of one of the companies said they only work with law enforcement if there is a court order.

Wow, so that seems to be illegal search right?

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I'm not a lawyer, but if I were the prosecutor, I would have gotten a search warrant before submitting samples to one of the DNA database companies
to search for near matches to relatives to the suspect. Who knows? It's quite possible they did get a warrant but have not yet disclosed everything. We'll know when the case goes to trial.

The prosecutors may have created a fake identity on the website for the purpose of getting the DNA testing and matching without telling the website owners and employees.
Last edited by flyingclrs727 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salttee

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:48 pm

It looks like it was public information to me - no warrant needed.

IMO railing against this technology is just railing against modernity: a hopeless cause.

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 pm

salttee wrote:

IMO railing against this technology is just railing against modernity: a hopeless cause.

I'm not railing against the technology, but I want to make sure it is only used when there is probable cause.

Dutchy

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:01 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
The prosecutors may have created a fake identity on the website for the purpose of getting the DNA testing and matching without telling the website owners and employees.

That is a possibility that hadn't crossed my mind, good catch. I'm not a lawyer but I do hope this is illegal. I see lots of ethical and civil right problems with this.

Dutchy

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:01 pm

salttee wrote:

DNA public information? Hopefully not.

Dutchy

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:13 pm

salttee wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
I was referring to the genealogy site.

Me too. If I set my privacy settings to maximum with FB, then it is not public information, right? Hopefully, this genealogy site has the same protection.

salttee

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Pellegrine

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Just FYI, a lot of paternity suits in the US are also involving genealogy sites. I've given DNA and fingerprints as victim of a crime in the US, and I have no doubt they have my information stored in a database somewhere even though they said, "this is just to rule out your (the owner's) own biometrics."

Aesma

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
salttee wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Me too. If I set my privacy settings to maximum with FB, then it is not public information, right? Hopefully, this genealogy site has the same protection.

The website can't work if the data isn't shared. The goal is to find relatives so for that to work everyone's DNA has to be "public". Doesn't mean a user will get the DNA info of someone else, but the website will compare the DNA of every member to each other.

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

That is a possibility that hadn't crossed my mind, good catch. I'm not a lawyer but I do hope this is illegal. I see lots of ethical and civil right problems with this.

That's why I hope the prosecutors got a warrant from a judge.

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
Just FYI, a lot of paternity suits in the US are also involving genealogy sites. I've given DNA and fingerprints as victim of a crime in the US, and I have no doubt they have my information stored in a database somewhere even though they said, "this is just to rule out your (the owner's) own biometrics."

Paternity suits are conducted under civil law. Criminal prosecution is conducted under criminal law. There is also a higher burden of proof.
Last edited by flyingclrs727 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:20 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Pellegrine wrote:

Paternity suits are conducted under civil law. Criminal prosecution is conducted under criminal law. There is also a higher burden of proof, and criminal defendants have lots more legal rights and protections.

Pellegrine

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:47 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Paternity suits are conducted under civil law. Criminal prosecution is conducted under criminal law. There is also a higher burden of proof.

Great. I hire lawyers. I'm just saying that this genealogy website thing has been used for various legal purposes so far. It's a growing industry among lawyers.

lebda

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:03 pm

I've been studying this case for the past few years, and it really shocked me considering I grew up in and have family in the areas where he struck, and I never even knew about that history while I lived there. It's incredible to me that he was caught. I knew it was bound to happen some day, but I didn't know it would be this soon. I'm also surprised that he's in his 70s. Witnesses and survivors usually guessed he was in his late teens to mid-20s, which would have made him in his late 50s or 60s. Then there's the whole cop thing...

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:58 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

I'm not a lawyer, but if I were the prosecutor, I would have gotten a search warrant before submitting samples to one of the DNA database companies
to search for near matches to relatives to the suspect. Who knows? It's quite possible they did get a warrant but have not yet disclosed everything. We'll know when the case goes to trial.

i don't think they broke any laws, how it works is you join these sites for as little as 120.00 a year send them your DNA for another fee (in this case they sent the golden state killer dna) then the company assign you a tree branch number with people with similar DNA lineage. You can tell by the number your assigned, your family line, its helpful in double checking the authenticity of genealogy lines already established. All the police had to do was follow the DNA tree line, which must of took a lot of work. if there was no family line, then they would have to build a line and do a lot of genealogy research and go through a lot of garbage cans, to go for 5 percent match to 25 percent match to 50 percent match and finally to 100 percent match.
they must of gone through a lot of garbage cans to get to the correct line. or, they lucked out and got a 50 percent match immediately and knew they only had to go through one garbage can to confirm the golden gate killer identity. much like someone trying to find their father it's legal. Until laws are put into place.

Dutchy

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:30 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

i don't think they broke any laws, how it works is you join these sites for as little as 120.00 a year send them your DNA for another fee (in this case they sent the golden state killer dna) then the company assign you a tree branch number with people with similar DNA lineage. You can tell by the number your assigned, your family line, its helpful in double checking the authenticity of genealogy lines already established. All the police had to do was follow the DNA tree line, which must of took a lot of work. if there was no family line, then they would have to build a line and do a lot of genealogy research and go through a lot of garbage cans, to go for 5 percent match to 25 percent match to 50 percent match and finally to 100 percent match.
they must of gone through a lot of garbage cans to get to the correct line. or, they lucked out and got a 50 percent match immediately and knew they only had to go through one garbage can to confirm the golden gate killer identity. much like someone trying to find their father it's legal. Until laws are put into place.

I understand what they did, but is it morally right or did they broke a moral line? If it is within the law is up to a judge.

Revelation

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:44 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... ve-of-data says:

The capture this week of a man whom police believe to be the “Golden State Killer” — who became a suspect only when police matched crime scene DNA to a distant relative on a genealogy website used to map family trees — has highlighted the consumer DNA industry’s growing role in reenergizing cold cases and reshaping justice in the digital age.

But the hyper-personal data’s use in public policing also has inflamed concerns that people don’t truly understand the power of what they’re handing over: the building blocks of identity, both for themselves and their families. And, in some cases, they’re giving police the keys to linking their loved ones to evidence that could convict them.

Seems to be another case of unintended consequences. You're interested in tracing your family genealogy, but in effect you're providing evidence to the police that may be used against you, all your current relatives, and all your future ones too.

While it's all good when it's being used to catch this rapist murderer scumbag and offer some closure to survivors and family members, what happens when insurance companies use this data to reject your application because some family member provided the info needed to prove you have some difficult to treat condition?

Will we see this lead to the normalization of wide spread use of DNA for all kinds of unintended purposes? Will you end up having the same concerns about your "genetic footprint" in the same way we have concerns about our "digital footprints"?

“Even if [users are] content with making that trade-off with their personal data, they’re also making that trade-off with their extended family, their children, their children’s children,” she said. “And they’re not just making it for 2018, but for 2020 and 2040, when data from the genome could be used in all sorts of different ways.”

It seems to me that in the future it could become much easier to gather DNA with or without your permission. For instance, a decade or so from now you hail a corporately owned self-driving car. Once inside you sneeze. The car's air circulation system has a filter that can sort out any organic material that comes in to it. You may not realize it, but you've already opted in to sharing whatever the car can mine from you when you clicked on one button when you downloaded their app. They have your DNA and they have the credentials you gave the app you used to hail the car. Now your genetic footprint is linked to your digital footprint, forever.

Or, at the end of the day, they vacuum the car for hair or skin samples. They have a list of who's been in the car that day. They have everyone's digital footprints because all our phone send out our identities all day long. They have partial matches from your relatives who have provided DNA samples to genealogy web sites. Now they look at the genetic material they have sampled and they say of all the passengers in the car today this has to come from you. You've now surrendered your genealogical fingerprint just by being a passenger in a corporately owned vehicle.

An elevator could work the same way, given the ambiguous nature of current laws. You walk on to our property, you've just opted in, like it or not.

As for what the genealogy site tells you what it's doing with the data:

GEDmatch’s privacy policy says its tools are “for comparison and research purposes” and encourages people to think closely about what they’re providing. “In the end, if you require absolute privacy and security, we must ask that you do not upload your data to GEDmatch,” its policy states.

Curtis Rogers, a GEDmatch co-founder, said in a statement that while “we were not approached by law enforcement or anyone else about this case or about the DNA, it has always been GEDmatch’s policy to inform users that the database could be used for other uses.”

Since there is no explicit opt-in or opt-out for specific use cases such as data being shared with law enforcement, if you opt-in to use the service you're opting in to all other things you really can't anticipate.

Even the co-founder of the website is saying that their web site was being mined by law enforcement without their knowledge or consent.

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:29 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

They worked through the family tree and were able to exclude people who weren't in the right age range, didn't match the physical description including height, and didn't live near the areas where the crimes occurred. They also have access to public records databases like the viral records databases containing birth certificates and the DMV database with old license photos and current license photos and physical description.

Revelation

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Aesma wrote:
The website can't work if the data isn't shared. The goal is to find relatives so for that to work everyone's DNA has to be "public". Doesn't mean a user will get the DNA info of someone else, but the website will compare the DNA of every member to each other.

Interesting. https://www.gedmatch.com/policy.php says:

GEDmatch exists to provide DNA and genealogy tools for comparison and research purposes. It is supported entirely by users, volunteers, and researchers. DNA and Genealogical research, by its very nature, requires the sharing of information. Because of that, users participating in this site should expect that their information will be shared with other users.

And:

The data you upload to GEDmatch is placed into a database to make it accessible to other users through the various applications on this site. The DNA and genealogical data is not encrypted. DNA data is compressed in a proprietary format which makes it unreadable without a great deal of effort. Genealogy data is stored as plain text in a database. We encrypt your login password before putting it in our database. We cannot tell what your password is. However, there have been cases in the news of encrypted data being hacked and decoded. Be aware that may be a possibility on this or any other site. We take measures to ensure that only registered users have access to your results, but those measures have not been and never will be perfect. Direct access to your data is available to GEDmatch personnel, including volunteers, on a need to know basis.

So it seems there are no ways for law enforcement or anyone else to bulk-download the data, but the web site operators themselves don't rule out the possibility of hackers being able to find a way to do so.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html says:

The largest genealogy services, 23andme and Ancestry.com, conduct DNA tests for paying customers but largely shield their findings from other parties. GEDmatch is a free service; consenting users upload test results from a variety of genealogy websites and cross-reference their findings to discover relatives who might have tested with different companies.

"It's kind of intended to be unregulated so people on their own initiative can load their information," UC Berkeley law professor Andrea Roth said.

The article says this is pretty much ideal from the law enforcement point of view. In this case there is no commercial entity doing its best to protect access to the database for commercial or legal reasons. The end users are voluntarily uploading their DNA data, quite often bringing with it non-DNA family tree data too. One article said that they were pretty lucky that there were relatives close enough to the suspect who chose to upload data to this site.

I have to wonder even with all this, if the people uploading the data really understand what this data can be used for. I personally think a lot of them are so enthusiastic about learning more about their ancestry that they really don't put much thought about all the unintended consequences.

I wonder if the law shouldn't make some of these consequences more clear, instead of the very generic "you give us the right to do whatever we want" statements we find in opt-ins.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/heal ... alogy.html says

The detectives in the Golden State Killer case uploaded the suspect’s DNA sample. But they would have had to check a box online certifying that the DNA was their own or belonged to someone for whom they were legal guardians, or that they had “obtained authorization” to upload the sample.

“The purpose was to make these connections and to find these relatives,” said Blaine Bettinger, a lawyer affiliated with GEDmatch. “It was not intended to be used by law enforcement to identify suspects of crimes.”

But joining for that purpose does not technically violate site policy, he added.

Reminds me of the old "NYPD Blue" line where whenever a detective was asked if they were authorized, they'd say "we're authorized" without any further clarification.

The articles make it pretty clear that the police uploaded the suspect's DNA, clicked on the box because they presumably convinced themselves they weren't violating the site's policies (which the site's lawyer confirms), and this led them DNA matches of family members of the suspect. The site also has non-DNA-based family tree info they could have learned exactly how close these relatives were related. They used this extended family tree to narrow down who the suspect could be to one person, based on age, location, etc. Then they tailed the suspect and saw him discard something containing his DNA (maybe a used tissue?) and got a match with DNA from a crime scene. That would have given them enough evidence to ask for a warrant to draw blood from him and get an incontrovertibly match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Killer says:

A cogent clue was a statement that the killer made during one of his attacks, "I hate you, Bonnie". DeAngelo had been engaged to a Bonnie, but never married her.[123] Before the arrest, law enforcement uploaded the Golden State Killer's DNA profile from crime scenes to Florida-based genetic genealogy website GEDmatch, and identified the killer's family, after which it found that DeAngelo had been engaged to a Bonnie.[123][124] They then identified DeAngelo as the main suspect and acquired two discarded samples of his DNA, one of which definitively matched that of the killer.[125]

Hope this guy rots in jail.

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:59 pm

lebda wrote:
I've been studying this case for the past few years, and it really shocked me considering I grew up in and have family in the areas where he struck, and I never even knew about that history while I lived there. It's incredible to me that he was caught. I knew it was bound to happen some day, but I didn't know it would be this soon. I'm also surprised that he's in his 70s. Witnesses and survivors usually guessed he was in his late teens to mid-20s, which would have made him in his late 50s or 60s. Then there's the whole cop thing...

There are quite a few people who look younger than they are. I'm not sure he would have been caught without the use of the geneological database. I've been watching some documentaries on YouTube about this serial rapist/murderer. He had no felony record, so he he was in not DNA database. The brother of one of the victims championed requiring all convicted felons be added to the California criminal DNA database including those convicted before blood samples became standard for suspects and convicts arrested for felonies. It was suspected that the perpetrator had a police scanner, but they didn't consider the possibility that he had an actual police scanner issued by a police department. He resigned when he was confronted about being caught shoplifting. In particular he was stealing a hammer and a dog repellant. Dog repellent sounds like a very suspicious item. Perhaps police who leave a police department under dishonorable situations, should have their DNA reports added to the list.

salttee

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 pm

In California, a DNA sample is taken once a person is arrested for a felony, no conviction necessary.
I think all police should provide DNA samples.

I have no problem with DNA databases, this is something that actually does prevent crime, as well as take criminals off the street. AFIK there is no downside, everybody's DNA is unique, there are no false convictions with the current state of technology.

flyingdoc787

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:17 pm

What's intriguing to me is that they were able to obtain a discarded item with his DNA on it. What was it and how did they get it? Did they follow him around and wait for him to sneeze and throw the tissue in a trash can? Did they look in his dumpster for discarded plastic forks and swab those?
Great investigative work indeed, but this gets me thinking - what if someone picks up my trash and gets my DNA sample from it and uses it against me? (e.g. to look for gene mutations that predispose to illness, etc.)

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:34 pm

salttee wrote:
In California, a DNA sample is taken once a person is arrested for a felony, no conviction necessary.

I have no problem with DNA databases, this is something that actually does prevent crime, as well as take criminals off the street. AFIK there is no downside, everybody's DNA is unique, there are no false convictions with the current state of technology.

That wasn't the case till after a resolution passed in 2004.

Aesma

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:17 pm

salttee wrote:

Actually criminals are already trying (and some might have succeeded) to fool the system by leaving other people's DNA on crime scenes.

If police/justice don't need anything else than a DNA match to arrest and convict people, we're in a lot of trouble.

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Here's that's interesting. Ancestry.com just sent out notification about their updated privacy policy. I suspect other geneolical websites may be do this too.

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/legal/priva ... +Campaigns