Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Freakysh
Topic Author

North Korea to suspend missile and nuclear testing

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 am

North Korea had stated it will cease missile and nuclear testing in a bid to finally being peace to the Korean Peninsula.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-21/north-korea-says-it-will-suspend-nuclear-and-missile-testing/9683386

Despite Trump's rhetoric on this announcement, this is disastrous news for the US if it gains momentum.

The Chinese likely behind this move.

CCGPV

Re: North Korea to suspend missile and nuclear testing

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 am

Remember when we were on the brink of war just like a month ago?

What happened there?

I'm looking forward to the spin from both sides on how Trump is/is not responsible for this development.

If he is responsible it shows that being provocative can effect change. If he IS NOT responsible it shows that Tweets and threats don't matter and everyone panicking is dumb dumb.

Its a win win.

Freakysh
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:46 am

CCGPV wrote:

What happened there?

I'm looking forward to the spin from both sides on how Trump is/is not responsible for this development.

If he is responsible it shows that being provocative can effect change. If he IS NOT responsible it shows that Tweets and threats don't matter and everyone panicking is dumb dumb.

Its a win win.

What happened there? The usual planned fear cycle happened, that's what.

It's a win for the average Joe, especially in the Korean Peninsula, but bad news for the US government. The US won't just lay down and allow peace to happen. Expect some fireworks to come soon to make sure this doesn't get out of hand. Trump is the perfect man for the job.

Watch this space

salttee

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:48 am

If you really believe that Kim is going to cease missile and nuclear testing, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Freakysh
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 am

salttee wrote:
If you really believe that Kim is going to cease missile and nuclear testing, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I don't believe it.

And even if he wanted to, the US wouldn't allow it

CCGPV

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:08 am

Freakysh wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What happened there?

Its a win win.

It's a win for the average Joe, especially in the Korean Peninsula, but bad news for the US government. The US won't just lay down and allow peace to happen. Expect some fireworks to come soon to make sure this doesn't get out of hand. Trump is the perfect man for the job.

Watch this space

Pretty much. There's no way NK is giving up nukes. That'd be crazy.

The best thing the rest of the world can do is to just contain NK hope the people rise up. Best thing we can do is to airdrop Big Macs and Iphones with wikipedia (figuratively). Freedom and democracy always win.

Freakysh
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:09 am

CCGPV wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What happened there?

Its a win win.

Watch this space

The best thing the rest of the world can do is to just contain NK hope the people rise up. Best thing we can do is to airdrop Big Macs and Iphones with wikipedia (figuratively). Freedom and democracy always win.

You miss my point. The West doesn't want the people to rise up. They don't want peace in the region. This talk by Kim Un is an attack on US interests and will not be tolerated if indeed serious

CCGPV

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:14 am

Freakysh wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
Freakysh wrote:

Watch this space

You miss my point. The West doesn't want the people to rise up. They don't want peace in the region. This talk by Kim Un is an attack on US interests and will not be tolerated if indeed serious

Again, I agree.

It'd be great if there was internal rebellion outside military conflict with the west.

Something is going to happen eventually. It'd be interesting if it involved China.

Freakysh
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 am

CCGPV wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Again, I agree.

It'd be great if there was internal rebellion outside military conflict with the west.

Something is going to happen eventually. It'd be interesting if it involved China.

Yeah an internal uprising would be the best solution, but won't happen without external assistance.

Only China and South Korea/Japan would have the motivation. South Korea/Japan wouldn't go against their US overlords.

China would benefit most and may one day decide to end Kim Jong UN's reign.

Most interesting would be how the US handles that of it were to happen

salttee

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:08 am

Freakysh wrote:

North Korea is China's steward, it is and always has been to their benefit to keep the Kim regime in place. They use NK to keep US off balance politically and militarially in the western Pacific.

You don't know this?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:17 am

I don't believe this one bit, just a pause to buy more time to improve the rockets they have.

casinterest

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:28 am

I;d like to think NK has finally figured it''s crap out, but I doubt it. they are feeling the squeeze of sanctions and are placating everyone to get the heat off their back. I wish Trump luck in his summit, but at this point I think NK will do anything to lessen the sanctions.

On the optimistic side, maybe NK finally has figured out that the South has more prosperity and they can't figure out why their Communist Monarchy isn't working out.

I think the Secret Service and others should be very wary of NK and it's intentions.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/kor ... d=52788651

Freakysh
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:47 am

salttee wrote:
Freakysh wrote:

North Korea is China's steward, it is and always has been to their benefit to keep the Kim regime in place. They use NK to keep US off balance politically and militarially in the western Pacific.

You don't know this?

Perhaps thirty years ago when communist brotherhood's were relevant. Nowadays China is fasttracked to establish itself as the world's number 1 military and economic powerhouse.

The US now has an excuse to maintain its military in the region as well as sell billions of dollars of arms to South Korea and Japan. The US is in the business of conflict and instability.

China won't want the US in the region at some point and won't hesitate to remove Kim to get the US out, or more logically, have Kim to back off and go the peace route.

salttee

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:55 am

Oh, I forgot. You never make any sense.

Mortyman

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 am

CCGPV wrote:

What happened there?

Its a win win.

It's primaerly the president of South Korea who coose a different strategy in dealing with the North Korean government, wich then led to the US be put in a difficult desicion that forced the US to act. But don't worry, the US can still screw this up, just like it has in the Palestine / Israel conflict.

anrec80

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:29 am

Mortyman wrote:

It's primaerly the president of South Korea who coose a different strategy in dealing with the North Korean government, wich then led to the US be put in a difficult desicion that forced the US to act. But don't worry, the US can still screw this up, just like it has in the Palestine / Israel conflict.

The US shouldn't take on itself too much responsibility, then they won't be "forced to act". N.K. can well be a primary responsibility of South Korea and Japan. Those countries has economy and military resources to handle this matter themselves, as they please.

anrec80

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:48 am

CCGPV wrote:

What happened there?

What brink of war? Was it when the USA were going to send whole 3 aircraft carriers, lost one jet fighter and the N.K didn't even show up for the war? Then, of course, the aircraft carriers were all "sailing elsewhere" and "they were misunderstood".

anrec80

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:59 am

casinterest wrote:
I;d like to think NK has finally figured it''s crap out, but I doubt it. they are feeling the squeeze of sanctions and are placating everyone to get the heat off their back. I wish Trump luck in his summit, but at this point I think NK will do anything to lessen the sanctions.

On the optimistic side, maybe NK finally has figured out that the South has more prosperity and they can't figure out why their Communist Monarchy isn't working out.

I think the Secret Service and others should be very wary of NK and it's intentions.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/kor ... d=52788651

What's not obvious here? Kim doesn't want for his country the fate of Libya, Syria, Ukraine and Iraq. And for himself - to be a "legitimate one" from somewhere Dandong or Dalian. And nuclear containment force is the only way to make certain of that. Recent Syrian "adventure" of the "coalition" is the best proof to that.

Freakysh
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:13 am

anrec80 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

The US shouldn't take on itself too much responsibility

That would go against their business model.

Can guarantee the Korean peninsula will fall back into a faux crisis, on a perpetual precarious balance of conflict just around the corner.

mham001

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Mortyman wrote:
It's primaerly the president of South Korea who coose a different strategy in dealing with the North Korean government, wich then led to the US be put in a difficult desicion that forced the US to act.

Really. Exactly what "action" did the US take in response to the Korean government's dialogue with NK? Specifics please.

mham001

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Freakysh wrote:

Can guarantee the Korean peninsula will fall back into a faux crisis, on a perpetual precarious balance of conflict just around the corner.

Welcome to my Ignore list.

Mortyman

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:29 pm

mham001 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
It's primaerly the president of South Korea who coose a different strategy in dealing with the North Korean government, wich then led to the US be put in a difficult desicion that forced the US to act.

Really. Exactly what "action" did the US take in response to the Korean government's dialogue with NK? Specifics please.

It followed South Korea on the negotiating path, wich the US hasn't really been interesting in for some time. The current South Korean leader has a far more open and wanting to talk attitude than the previous South Korean leader who held North Korea at a distance.

Freakysh
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 pm

mham001 wrote:
Freakysh wrote:

Welcome to my Ignore list.

:lol: :lol:

Yes, ignorance is bliss

LittleFokker

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:37 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 9377e8428b

This article posits that the real reason NK is suspending it's nuclear weapons program is because the facility at Mt Mantap (the location in which prior bomb tests occurred) may have been rendered useless. Between earthquakes and the various tests run there, the soil has become so unstable the the facility is about collapse under the mountain (which in turn may result in radiation leaking out through cracks in the soil). NK may have ruined their own nuclear program, and maybe all of this sudden compromise and willingness to negotiate may be an effort to save face and retain a modicrum of leverage and power.

-------------------------------------------

Edit: Alternative link from a dubious source but provides different references to make the same claim:

https://secondnexus.com/news/kim-jong-u ... r-testing/

Aesma

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 pm

What we (a very large "we" ) want is NK's denuclearization. What Un is talking about is stopping (or suspending) tests. Not the same thing. France and the US for example have also ceased nuclear warhead testing.

I see no reason for him to denuclearize, but I guess there is a very very small chance it could happen somehow, the guy is a crazy dictator after all, you never know what they'll do.

Now Trump is already praising him, that's strange.

Meanwhile Iran who has promised the same thing years ago, signed an accord, with inspections etc., and never detonated a nuke to begin with, is somehow Satan and Trump is preparing us to a war there. Logical, not !

salttee

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:00 am

LittleFokker wrote:
This article posits that the real reason NK is suspending it's nuclear weapons program is because the facility at Mt Mantap may have been rendered useless.

I'm pretty cynical about North Korea / China (and I think they're a lot closer than some people here seem to think). This is what I've suspected from the time of this announcement. They have a dozen or so functioning warheads which were no doubt made with primitive infrastructure that was hashed together, and it is dangerous to continue use. So it's time to re-organize with a better reactor and laboratories which are designed for the next phase of their program: miniaturization.

IMO, one has to be pretty naive to believe that Kim shut down a healthy ongoing program so that he could show good will to Donald Trump.

(If he shut anything down at all)

Aesma wrote:
Meanwhile Iran who has promised the same thing years ago, signed an accord, with inspections etc., and never detonated a nuke to begin with, is somehow Satan and Trump is preparing us to a war there. Logical, not !
You're ignoring the reality that the United States is not a sovereign nation: it is but an appendage of Israel.