Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkojq
Topic Author

RIP Avicii (Tim Bergling)

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 pm

By far my favorite musical artist. News seems to have come through within the last hour or so that he just died in Oman. Certainly unexpected, though he has had his battles in the past few years. Only 28 years old. Will be missed, RIP

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43841194

seb146

Re: RIP Avicii (Tim Bergling)

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 pm

I did not think he was that spectacular but he was good. This is very sad when someone so talented dies so young.

af773atmsp

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 pm

I was listening to his music getting through work today, and heard about this now.

Thanks for the great music Avicii. Whether to cheer me up, partying, long nights, or anytime in general.

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Suicide or OD?

Flighty

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Sad. I think I watched that documentary about him. That lifestyle (jet setting DJ) seems to involve a lot of implicit constant drug use. There is a lot of talk about being open and so mindful and spiritual. Well, IMO constantly using drugs is the absolute opposite of that. 28 is young enough that sadness doesn’t cut it. It’s senseless, appalling. Or if it was suicide then same thing.

texdravid

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Reportedly also a heavy alcohol abuser, to the point of alcoholic pancreatitis.

What a waste of talent and gone far too young.

seb146

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:32 pm

texdravid wrote:

He had admitted this two years ago and sought treatment. He knew he was in trouble and was seeking help. Also, was in the Middle East when he died, which is very strict against using drugs and alcohol. You are such an angry person, Tex. Why? Who hurt you? Why so angry and negative?

bagoldex

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 pm

seb146 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

He had admitted this two years ago and sought treatment. He knew he was in trouble and was seeking help. Also, was in the Middle East when he died, which is very strict against using drugs and alcohol. You are such an angry person, Tex. Why? Who hurt you? Why so angry and negative?

Probably jealous that in his short life Avici brought happiness to millions while all he(tex) brings is a reason to leave the room.

RyanairGuru

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:08 am

I was shocked to hear this. While he has been battling his demons he is still far too young to go.

zkojq
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:08 am

Flighty wrote:
Sad. I think I watched that documentary about him. That lifestyle (jet setting DJ) seems to involve a lot of implicit constant drug use.

The whole music industry is like that, unfortunately. It collectively promotes and normalises their use, so this is not a surprise. He was one of the smart ones who stopped touring a couple of years ago after realising the toll it was taking on his health.

af773atmsp wrote:
Thanks for the great music Avicii. Whether to cheer me up, partying, long nights, or anytime in general.

I'm very grateful for all he gave us. So incredibly talented musically. Levels and Hey Brother are some of the most amazing pieces of music ever written.

I guess Kygo is his legacy/heir?

Kiwirob wrote:
Suicide or OD?

Could be either, though I'm wondering if it something more long term. If you look at photos of him from the last year or so you can see that he has lost a lot of weight.

luckyone

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:13 am

zkojq wrote:
Flighty wrote:
Sad. I think I watched that documentary about him. That lifestyle (jet setting DJ) seems to involve a lot of implicit constant drug use.

The whole music industry is like that, unfortunately. It collectively promotes and normalises their use, so this is not a surprise. He was one of the smart ones who stopped touring a couple of years ago after realising the toll it was taking on his health.

af773atmsp wrote:

I'm very grateful for all he gave us. So incredibly talented musically. Levels and Hey Brother are some of the most amazing pieces of music ever written.

I guess Kygo is his legacy/heir?

Kiwirob wrote:
Suicide or OD?

Could be either, though I'm wondering if it something more long term. If you look at photos of him from the last year or so you can see that he has lost a lot of weight.

I read somewhere that he had chronic pancreatitis. He may also have had a cirrhotic liver. When they go, they go fast.

DeltaWings

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:35 am

He literally killed himself. Ad mid twenties you should be at peak health, instead he abused his body to the extent that with 24 he probably had a liver and inner organs of a nonagerian. This actually makes me upset that one can be so talented in life and yet have the mindset of a threee year old. He knew he was killing himself and yet didnt care about it. In the end he deserved what he got. I hope he rests in peace now.
The sad thing is, that other famous DJs or whatever probably will not lear from this and kill themselves the same way. In the end, if thats what they want in life, well then let them have it

zkojq
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:04 am

DeltaWings wrote:
He knew he was killing himself and yet didnt care about it. In the end he deserved what he got.

So why did he retire from touring then? He was fairly blunt about the reasons why at the time.

The irony in all this is that Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood have somehow made it to their 70s.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:15 am

DeltaWings wrote:
He literally killed himself. Ad mid twenties you should be at peak health, instead he abused his body to the extent that with 24 he probably had a liver and inner organs of a nonagerian. This actually makes me upset that one can be so talented in life and yet have the mindset of a threee year old. He knew he was killing himself and yet didnt care about it. In the end he deserved what he got. I hope he rests in peace now.
The sad thing is, that other famous DJs or whatever probably will not lear from this and kill themselves the same way. In the end, if thats what they want in life, well then let them have it

How,ignorant

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:07 am

Good Morning all, yup I woke up and heard that this DJ has died.

scbriml

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:20 am

zkojq wrote:
The irony in all this is that Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood have somehow made it to their 70s.

Yeah, but they look 150!

CitizenJustin

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:41 pm

texdravid wrote:

Why are you so angry and why do you always post inflammatory topics that serve no other purpose than to cause division?

jetwet1

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Why are you so angry and why do you always post inflammatory topics that serve no other purpose than to cause division?

I don't take that as angry or inflammatory, the fact is he had a long battle with alcohol, that can cause lots of health issues, sadly (as no cause of death has been given) people will point to the obvious.

And yes, it was a waste of talent and he died far to young.

CCGPV

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 pm

28 years old and worth 80 million all on his own work.

Pretty remarkable.

zkojq
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:15 pm

One of the last photos of him, taken a week ago.

At least he looked happy.

jetwet1 wrote:
I don't take that as angry or inflammatory, the fact is he had a long battle with alcohol, that can cause lots of health issues, sadly (as no cause of death has been given) people will point to the obvious.

It's weird. The Netflix doco on him last year suggested that in 2012-2014 he was using a lot of alcohol to overcome/coverup his anxiety of performing infront of big crowds. After his health problems the alcohol consumption was vastly reduced (maybe stopped?) but that brought a lot of his mental health problems up and he was suffering from severe stress, anxiety and probably depression also. When he announced his retirement, he didn't want to do the remaining shows he had scheduled due to the stress and anxiety they were causing him, but his manager/producer pressured him into doing them anyway, which wasn't a happy period.

jetwet1 wrote:

For sure.

CCGPV wrote:

Pretty remarkable.

I think a better measure of his success is all the joy he brought to people - 11 billion Spotify streams.

edit: in a 2014 interview he said that he hadn't had a drink in more than a year.
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-ne ... e-2014171/

CCGPV

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm

zkojq wrote:
One of the last photos of him, taken a week ago.

At least he looked happy.

jetwet1 wrote:

It's weird. The Netflix doco on him last year suggested that in 2012-2014 he was using a lot of alcohol to overcome/coverup his anxiety of performing infront of big crowds. After his health problems the alcohol consumption was vastly reduced (maybe stopped?) but that brought a lot of his mental health problems up and he was suffering from severe stress, anxiety and probably depression also. When he announced his retirement, he didn't want to do the remaining shows he had scheduled due to the stress and anxiety they were causing him, but his manager/producer pressured him into doing them anyway, which wasn't a happy period.

jetwet1 wrote:

For sure.

CCGPV wrote:

Pretty remarkable.

I think a better measure of his success is all the joy he brought to people - 11 billion Spotify streams.

edit: in a 2014 interview he said that he hadn't had a drink in more than a year.
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-ne ... e-2014171/

Can't buy jack squat with happiness and joy. I'll take the money...the joy comes with it.

DocLightning

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
He had admitted this two years ago and sought treatment. He knew he was in trouble and was seeking help. Also, was in the Middle East when he died, which is very strict against using drugs and alcohol.

The trouble is that both cirrhosis and alcoholic pancreatitis don't necessarily improve when the drinking is discontinued. Both disease processes involve a kind of feed-forward inflammation in which the tissue damage caused by the inflammation causes more tissue damage, which causes more inflammation...and so once the alcoholic pancreatitis starts, it's most likely going to take your pancreas.

Aesma

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Really shocked to hear this the other day.

I love going to concerts and festivals but I've always stayed clear of drugs. Some alcohol yes, but not crazy amounts.

Flighty

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 pm

He literally drank himself to death at 28?!

Hard to believe it happens in this day and age. My friend almost did it at age 28 or so too. It takes heavy drinking age 17-27, like binge constantly until the furtive bottle a day stage. Some people can be stable like this but I think genetically some people get themselves on the liver / pancreas transplant list or dead. Point is, he may have been non compliant and boozing to the very end, egregiously regardless of whatever he told people.