Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

End of Korean war?

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Ahead of a summit next week between North Korean premier Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-In, lawmakers from the neighboring states were thought to be negotiating the details of a joint statement that could outline an end to the military conflict between the two countries.
Pyongyang and Seoul have technically been at war since the 1950-1953 Korean conflict ended with a truce — and not a peace treaty.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/17/north-a ... o-war.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 523804002/

Can't wait for the tweets :duck:

mham001

Re: End of Korean war?

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Doesn't it all sound a little too good to be true?

Until I hear the 'why' behind this sudden turn of face, call me sceptical.

salttee

Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:18 am

Well, if SK accepted NK as it is (with nukes) and the end of the war also meant the end of sanctions, wouldn't that leave Kim a happy man? As he demanded that the US leave the peninsula.

Dutchy

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:23 am

ALways good to end the war. Although I think it is more symbolic than does anything in practice.

SOBHI51

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 am

One word: Starvation.

seb146

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 am

I have been travelling the past couple of days and listening to rural, right wing news, they keep saying "tRump gives them his blessing" which I think is sick and insane. Like they needed HIM to do anything before they signed a cease fire or anything.

And WTH is he doing on vacation AGAIN?

WIederling

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 am

seb146 wrote:
I have been travelling the past couple of days and listening to rural, right wing news, they keep saying "tRump gives them his blessing" which I think is sick and insane. Like they needed HIM to do anything before they signed a cease fire or anything.

And WTH is he doing on vacation AGAIN?

Being put out to pasture is the best thing to do with Trump.

The US is a signing party in the armistice from way back when.
Obama denied the move to a peace treaty ( need for a thorn in China's side?)
when NK and SK had a reasonable peace accord worked out.

NK didn't really have options beyond what happened in recent years.

WarRI1

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Let us see now, 1953 until 2018, nothing has changed, same ruthless family running the country, same threats, same paranoia. China our wonderful trading partner enabling them and will continue enabling them. They possess nuclear weapons and missiles now and threaten the whole world. A wonderful opportunity to end the Korean War. Such a deal. :banghead:

texdravid

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:58 am

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Trump succeeded in bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula when it has failed by every President?

P.S. Obama is such an overrated putz in foreign policy.
Isis failure
Iran: gave away everything to mullahs for nothing. A sham.
Libya fiasco
Syria: what about that red line again?

Oh, he did get the Nobel Prize for peace: the affirmative action Nobel. What a joke.

CitizenJustin

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:56 am

texdravid wrote:
Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Trump succeeded in bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula when it has failed by every President?

Isis failure
Libya fiasco

Oh, he did get the Nobel Prize for peace: the affirmative action Nobel. What a joke.

You’re just filled with positivity, aren’t you? Every post of yours is just so toxic, doom and gloom, the sky is falling.

mham001

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Isis failure
Libya fiasco

You’re just filled with positivity, aren’t you? Every post of yours is just so toxic, doom and gloom, the sky is falling.

HA, have you been in that Hannity thread? There are people gleefully handing their attorney-client privilege to the government in the hope of burning Trump. So they can get Pence for President. Just effing brilliant.

The hate runs strong around here and it has no logic..

texdravid

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Isis failure
Libya fiasco

So your response to my assertions about Obama are????

I’m waiting. I’m simply stating the obvious facts about Obama and it is making YOU all gloom and doom.

Look man, Obama was an overrated fool and false messiah to a liberal world desperate for a black hero.

WarRI1

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:12 am

texdravid wrote:

Isis failure
Libya fiasco

A little racial contempt crept in there I see. Not surprising with you Rightist people. I guess the Nobel Peace Prize is fake news also, just handed out to anyone. When tRump wins one for making peace on the Korean problem, let me know. I will be the first one to say Well done! :white:

seb146

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:56 am

texdravid wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Isis failure
Libya fiasco

So your response to my assertions about Obama are????

I’m waiting. I’m simply stating the obvious facts about Obama and it is making YOU all gloom and doom.

Look man, Obama was an overrated fool and false messiah to a liberal world desperate for a black hero.

Let's see:

Obama has been married once.
Obama did not collude with a foreign government.
Obama did not start wars for no reason.
The economy grew nearly every month under Obama.
Obama tried to help fix the health care system.
Obama worked weekends.

yeah, overrated fool.

Besides (I can't believe I have to point this out to a trumpette)

OBAMA IS NOT PRESIDENT NOW!!!!

texdravid

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:42 am

It’s happening!!

NK is freezing nuclear tests....a small step towards normalization between the Koreas.

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en. ... 000&mobile

Trump. Will he be the peacemaker of the Korean Peninsula? Can you imagine?

MAGA 2020.

seb146

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 am

texdravid wrote:
It’s happening!!

NK is freezing nuclear tests....a small step towards normalization between the Koreas.

MAGA 2020.

TRump has not left Mar A Lago in a week. He has not talked with either side. How can you sit there with a straight face and heap praise like that? Seriously: What did he have to do with any of this?

afcjets

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:56 am

seb146 wrote:
texdravid wrote:
It’s happening!!

MAGA 2020.

TRump has not left Mar A Lago in a week. He has not talked with either side. How can you sit there with a straight face and heap praise like that? Seriously: What did he have to do with any of this?

He said little rocket man is on a suicide mission and it seemed to have worked. ;)

LittleSprocket

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:48 am

seb146 wrote:
texdravid wrote:
It’s happening!!

MAGA 2020.

Seb, buddy ol' pal. You misspelled tRump man. Are you feeling okay?

On a side note, some people can't fathom that things are getting better internationally with Trump at the helm. Korea is being handled, Syria is being handled, Russia and China is being handled...that's what happens when you have someone with a backbone running the White House.

Honestly though, bringing peace to the Korean Penisula after being at war for 70 years or so should be worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

seb146

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:25 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
seb146 wrote:
texdravid wrote:
It’s happening!!

MAGA 2020.

Seb, buddy ol' pal. You misspelled tRump man. Are you feeling okay?

On a side note, some people can't fathom that things are getting better internationally with Trump at the helm. Korea is being handled, Syria is being handled, Russia and China is being handled...that's what happens when you have someone with a backbone running the White House.

Honestly though, bringing peace to the Korean Penisula after being at war for 70 years or so should be worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

yeah, no.

The only reason all this stuff is getting done is because the rest of the world understands that tRump is an idiot.

Tell me: what EXACTLY did tRump do, other than be elected by a minority of Americans? How many talks did he have with the Koreas? How did he broker those talks? I know it is 4/20, but maybe you should stop "celebrating" and really think about what you are saying.

c933103

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:41 am

texdravid wrote:
It’s happening!!

MAGA 2020.

If you can access KCNA directly, you can read how they write it by yourself. They translated the report into different languages on the official site, and translated most part of the report and the language used in different language versions seems to be more or less consistent.

It describe the current situation as "great victory of the WPK's line of simultaneously pushing forward the economic construction and the building of a nuclear force", and the exact wording used to describe the abolition of test site is that, "no nuclear test and intermediate-range and inter-continental ballistic rocket test-fire are necessary for the DPRK now, given that the work for mounting nuclear warheads on ballistic rockets was verified as the whole processes of developing nuclear weapons were carried out in a scientific way and in regular sequence, and the development of delivery and strike means was also made scientifically. He added that the mission of the northern nuclear test ground has thus come to an end.". And while they said they aren't going to use nor transfer the nuclear arms, their wording on disarmament is that "the discontinuance of the nuclear test is an important process for the worldwide disarmament" and "to make positive contributions to the building of the world free from nuclear weapons (...), provided that (...) and it became possible to reliably guarantee the security of the state and the safety of the people."

It seems to me that these wordings mean they are going to stop doing tests because they already have the nuclear weapon capability, and while they plan to ultimately become free of nuclear weapon, it appears that they aren't going to abandon their nuclear weapon before any other existing nuclear power do so.

mham001

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:53 pm

c933103 wrote:
If you can access KCNA directly, you can read how they write it by yourself. They translated the report into different languages on the official site, and translated most part of the report and the language used in different language versions seems to be more or less consistent.

It describe the current situation as "great victory of the WPK's line of simultaneously pushing forward the economic construction and the building of a nuclear force", and the exact wording used to describe the abolition of test site is that, "no nuclear test and intermediate-range and inter-continental ballistic rocket test-fire are necessary for the DPRK now, given that the work for mounting nuclear warheads on ballistic rockets was verified as the whole processes of developing nuclear weapons were carried out in a scientific way and in regular sequence, and the development of delivery and strike means was also made scientifically. He added that the mission of the northern nuclear test ground has thus come to an end.". And while they said they aren't going to use nor transfer the nuclear arms, their wording on disarmament is that "the discontinuance of the nuclear test is an important process for the worldwide disarmament" and "to make positive contributions to the building of the world free from nuclear weapons (...), provided that (...) and it became possible to reliably guarantee the security of the state and the safety of the people."

It seems to me that these wordings mean they are going to stop doing tests because they already have the nuclear weapon capability, and while they plan to ultimately become free of nuclear weapon, it appears that they aren't going to abandon their nuclear weapon before any other existing nuclear power do so.

Thanks for that, very interesting. Wasn't that northern test site already falling apart and causing problems with China?

c933103

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:11 pm

mham001 wrote:
Thanks for that, very interesting. Wasn't that northern test site already falling apart and causing problems with China?

My understanding is that there were landslide and tunnel collapsed which result in some minor earthquake that can be felt along the China-NK border?

seb146

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:47 pm

The announcement from Kim Jong Un is interesting, I think

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43846488

DPRK feels they are a nuclear power so tests are no longer needed. TOM and his base feel he had everything to do with no nukes in DPRK. Or, maybe their test site was damaged beyond repair so, to save face, they put out an announcement.

I am still waiting to hear from the base what EXACTLY tRump had to do with any of this?

WIederling

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:14 am

seb146 wrote:
I am still waiting to hear from the base what EXACTLY tRump had to do with any of this?

In contrast to his predecessor he kept his feet still and did not sabotage it beyond a wave of tweets and stuff ?
( Given: still time for that.)

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:07 am

texdravid wrote:

Isis failure
Libya fiasco

Can you list the foreign policy wins for the President before Obama, just for clarity and to be fair and balanced.

I don't believe this is the end to the Korean conflict. Just seems too convenient. Keep the sanctions on.

WarRI1

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:06 am

I don't believe this is the end to the Korean conflict. Just seems too convenient. Keep the sanctions on.

I agree, what is the price to be paid ? We have seen this act over and over.

dfwjim1

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:02 pm

seb146 wrote:
texdravid wrote:
It’s happening!!

MAGA 2020.

The President is always on duty anyway so I don't think it is a big deal if he spends extra time at Mar-a-largo. Obama had Hawaii and W spent a lot of time in Crawford, Texas after all.

LMP737

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 pm

texdravid wrote:
?

Isis failure.

Tell me, were you going to volunteer to stay over in Iraq? Or are you like most so called ultra conservatives, all gung ho but don't want to get your hands dirty. And may I remind you that it was GWB who committed the biggest foreign policy blunder in the past fifty years.

texdravid wrote:

What exactly did he give away? I mean at least he didn't sell weapons to them like Regan did. Don't forget there were other countries involved in this so it's not like the US was in a position to dictate terms.

texdravid wrote:

And what about that redline Trump drew in the sand with his strike in 2017? Didn't do much to deter Assad now did it?

TWA772LR

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Only on airliners.net can we make a thread that's supposed to be about the most monumental peace meeting since World War 2 and turn it into a Trump/Obama pissing match.

LMP737

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:44 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:

Syria is being handled? Syria is an absolute mess. China is being handled? How so? Korea is being handled? I'm sorry, I don't recall Trump brokering the talks between North and South Korea. Russia, the only country in the world that Trump won't speak ill of. Wonder why that is.

CCGPV

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:07 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Only on airliners.net can we make a thread that's supposed to be about the most monumental peace meeting since World War 2 and turn it into a Trump/Obama pissing match.

There's agendas to push, dude. That's way more important than anything.

Even Trump detractors are conceding this has at least something to do with Trump. Most east Asia analysts I know absolutely credit the US government in some form or another. The South Korean President deserves a lot of credit here too. There have been lots of behind the scenes (and some not so behind the scenes) meetings between all of the governments in the region. These events don't just fall out of the sky- they take weeks and months to iron out.

Do deny that is disingenuous.

seb146

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:12 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
texdravid wrote:
It’s happening!!

MAGA 2020.

The President is always on duty anyway so I don't think it is a big deal if he spends extra time at Mar-a-largo. Obama had Hawaii and W spent a lot of time in Crawford, Texas after all.

Not to this degree. TOM said that he would not have time to vacation or take weekends off. He has taken almost every weekend off and taken extended periods for holidays since being elected. It is a stressful and thankless job, and some down time is expected but his downtime is over the top.

And he did ZERO to get the Koreas to talk. It was more that DPRK's test site collapsed.

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:45 am

CCGPV wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Even Trump detractors are conceding this has at least something to do with Trump. Most east Asia analysts I know absolutely credit the US government in some form or another. The South Korean President deserves a lot of credit here too. There have been lots of behind the scenes (and some not so behind the scenes) meetings between all of the governments in the region. These events don't just fall out of the sky- they take weeks and months to iron out.

I understand that, and as a political centrist I do credit the Trump Administration with this achievement. But tje fact people are digging up dirt
/achievements on previous presidents and bringing up totally unrelated/stupid Trump topics and not focusing on the idea of the thread is what annoys me.

bennett123

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:20 am

Does Denuclearising the Korean Peninsula include US weapons.

Could that be a deal breaker?.

seb146

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:19 am

TWA772LR wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I understand that, and as a political centrist I do credit the Trump Administration with this achievement. But tje fact people are digging up dirt
/achievements on previous presidents and bringing up totally unrelated/stupid Trump topics and not focusing on the idea of the thread is what annoys me.

What "achievement"? That the nuclear testing site in DPRK was destroyed by their own testing? That the only ally DPRK and Kim Jung Un have, China, nudged them toward talks?

I have asked at least three times and I am going to ask again:

What did tRump have to do with any of this?

PanHAM

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:21 am

SOBHI51 wrote:
One word: Starvation.

Looking at the pictures, one of them is for sure far from starvation.

The move to meet and talk to each other is by all means good and will lower Tension. But reunification German style will be a Long way down the road. The East German "owners" of the Country had a better life than the rest of the bunch, but the place was never owned by a single Family. Communist dictatorship yes, but a feudal communiist dictatorship never existed in East Germany. Still at the end of the Eighties East Germany lost the backing of Moscow and the rest is history. The irony was, the opening of the wall was a communication error and the border guard Generals did not want to be responsible for a carnage.

NK will see a gradual opening of the border, guided by China. No one can predict now how Long that will take and if the LKims will stay in power- Whateer the outcome will be, it won't be a western Democracy.

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:38 pm

seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What "achievement"? That the nuclear testing site in DPRK was destroyed by their own testing? That the only ally DPRK and Kim Jung Un have, China, nudged them toward talks?

The NK brass know very well a war with the US is not winnable. And with Trump being the very first president to actually advocate NKs destruction nuclear or otherwise, NK had to do something. Trump took the naked guy route, be crazy enough to strip naked and say "come at me" and it worked because no one wants to fight a naked guy.

By the way, your whole "tRump" thing is incredibly immature.

Aesma

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Lots of mentions of war, peace in this thread, but maybe these words should be defined first.

Sure there is no official treaty ending the Korean war, but calling the current situation a war is a stretch.

While peace is a lofty goal, NK hasn't been sanctioned to push it towards peace with the South, nor does anybody really care about peace, nobody has made it a priority.

It's all about nukes. If Trump manages to denuclearize North Korea, give him a Nobel peace prize, hell, give him two !

I'm very skeptical it can happen, though.

What is much more likely is that Trump will restart nuke production in Iran in a few days.

seb146

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:12 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

The NK brass know very well a war with the US is not winnable. And with Trump being the very first president to actually advocate NKs destruction nuclear or otherwise, NK had to do something. Trump took the naked guy route, be crazy enough to strip naked and say "come at me" and it worked because no one wants to fight a naked guy.

Yeah, well, we had eight years of "obummer" and "Barak Hussein Obama" among others so get over it.

As far as war with DPRK, I seem to recall another certain president talking about "Axis Of Evil" and there was no war with DPRK then, so why not shower him with accolades? Obama started zero wars and held talks with DPRK yet you righties screamed about how weak he was.

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:21 pm

seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yeah, well, we had eight years of "obummer" and "Barak Hussein Obama" among others so get over it.

As far as war with DPRK, I seem to recall another certain president talking about "Axis Of Evil" and there was no war with DPRK then, so why not shower him with accolades? Obama started zero wars and held talks with DPRK yet you righties screamed about how weak he was.

Who said im a rightie? Im a political centrist, a realie. ;)

And since ive committed to playing devils advocate in numerous threads ill continue the trend. I bet you call someone evil too if they called for your death and destruction with WMDs, not unlike Iran and NK have. Btw, im all for the US ditching Saudi for Iran as our partner in the ME. And if you think about it, Trump hasnt started wars neither. The limited bombing of Syria pales in comparison to the US-lead NATO intervention in Libya.

seb146

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:34 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

And since ive committed to playing devils advocate in numerous threads ill continue the trend. I bet you call someone evil too if they called for your death and destruction with WMDs, not unlike Iran and NK have. Btw, im all for the US ditching Saudi for Iran as our partner in the ME. And if you think about it, Trump hasnt started wars neither. The limited bombing of Syria pales in comparison to the US-lead NATO intervention in Libya.

tRump has done his share of saber ratting. He just bombed abandoned bulidings in Syria. I would venture to guess that NATO and UN did not want Lybia to turn into another Somalia could be the reason why there was use of force there by many nations?

As far as aligning with Iran over Saudia Arabia: would you prefer to make a deal with the Devil or Satan?

CCGPV

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:36 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

He's a political hack pretty much. One of the reasons nobody takes him seriously because its just unnecessary. Never matured beyond high-school and he's proud of it. Gotta teach those "right wingers" a lesson even though nobody cares!!!

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:39 pm

seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:

tRump has done his share of saber ratting. He just bombed abandoned bulidings in Syria. I would venture to guess that NATO and UN did not want Lybia to turn into another Somalia could be the reason why there was use of force there by many nations?

As far as aligning with Iran over Saudia Arabia: would you prefer to make a deal with the Devil or Satan?

Saber rattling is not war. And Libya pretty much has become another Somalia.

Iran is actually a pretty progressive country in the region with a young and well-educated population. They have mastered atomic power and weaponry (you cant be a slouch to do that) and are even making progress in stim cell research and are complying with the UN agreement. In fact the CEO of Iran Air is a woman, you wont find that in Saudi. Plus it is a very pretty county with lots of tourism potential, not to mention their strategic value as an ally.

salttee

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:59 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
We can tell that you're a "rightie" by the fact that you play loose with facts.

TWA772LR wrote:
The limited bombing of Syria pales in comparison to the US-lead NATO intervention in Libya.
The US didn't lead the intervention in Libya. That was done by Europeans.

seb146

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:16 am

TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

There is a huge difference between "we can work things out" and "let's bomb the snot out of them" you have to agree. From what I have read about Libya, the UN backed government is trying to work to build a coalition to rule. There are still terror attacks, but it does not sound as bad as Somalia.

TWA772LR wrote:
Iran is actually a pretty progressive country in the region with a young and well-educated population. They have mastered atomic power and weaponry (you cant be a slouch to do that) and are even making progress in stim cell research and are complying with the UN agreement. In fact the CEO of Iran Air is a woman, you wont find that in Saudi. Plus it is a very pretty county with lots of tourism potential, not to mention their strategic value as an ally.

And Iran is still ruled by Islamic law. They are more progressive than Saudi Arabia, but they still have a council that interprets Islamic law. And they hate America because America has been against them since the revolution and for Saudi Arabia for a very long time.

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:35 am

seb146 wrote:

What did Trump have to do with any of this?

Plenty, according to the South Korean leaders. From CNN:

"Clearly, credit goes to President Trump," South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in Seoul. "He's been determined to come to grips with this from Day 1."

seb146

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:39 am

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

What did Trump have to do with any of this?

Plenty, according to the South Korean leaders. From CNN:

"Clearly, credit goes to President Trump," South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in Seoul. "He's been determined to come to grips with this from Day 1."

wow.... So much denial.... What about Ford and Carter and Reagan and GHWBush and Clinton and GWBush and Obama? I guess the United States/Korean history begins with tRump.....

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 am

seb146 wrote:
wow.... So much denial....

So now you know more than the South Korean Foreign Minister? C'mon man, that's sad, even for you.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:30 am

seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:

There is a huge difference between "we can work things out" and "let's bomb the snot out of them" you have to agree. From what I have read about Libya, the UN backed government is trying to work to build a coalition to rule. There are still terror attacks, but it does not sound as bad as Somalia.

While I agree that Libya is not as bad as Somalia, look how far they have fallen! With the "help" of Western regimes, they went from being one if the most developed countries in Africa, right down to beibg a couple spots above Somalia...

Dutchy

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Signing an official peace treaty will be a step forward. The Kim regime will not go away and the iron grip they have on North Korea will not go away. So it is a small step, but still a step.

The question is what will North Korea get in return?