einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Business Casual Dress Code

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Just what exactly is it? Why isn't there agreement on what exactly it entails? Yesterday I went shopping for an outfit to wear for a networking reception and I went crazy because the internet and store clerks couldn't agree on what business casual is.

My view is that it is a polo/button down shirt (long or short sleeved...long is better) with slacks/khakis/trousers, and dress shoes. Depending on the occasion, some dark blue jeans with decent tennis shoes can be accepted, as long as a blazer is worn as well (to balance it).

Yet you ask other folks and they'll disagree. Heck, yesterday while shopping, I asked for assistance, and the lady asked me if I would consider a suit (that's formal attire...semi-formal at least).

What say you?

BTW, this is one of the things that frustrates me...no fashion sense!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

CCGPV

Re: Business Casual Dress Code

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Your first description has been the one I've used for a long time. Button down, slacks, nice shoes.

The button down shirt (always long sleeved) is the key. I wouldn't do dark jeans but I don't think most would bat an eye as the tacit acceptance of relaxed standards business casual in the first place.

I hope business continues to trend away from the business suit. They are awful in every way.
I have all day.

BartSimpson

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:25 pm

It depends on the industry you're in. In my area everything is business / business casual / casual. Nobody gives a damn how you are dressed, be it in a meeting, at a reception or conference or at work in the office. My last tie went into the give-box approximately 10 years ago. I feel free...

DIRECTFLT

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:43 pm

As part of an visual slide dress code orientation for a Fortune 500 Company that earns a profit of $1,039,000 per employee, the men's part had -2- slides with examples. The women's part of the orientation took -10- slides of examples of what is, and what is not acceptable.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

vikkyvik

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:49 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Why isn't there agreement on what exactly it entails?

Because industries and different parts of the country/world are different.

I would NEVER wear jeans or sneakers to a business casual function, but here in LA, plenty of people would.

For myself, business casual is (at a minimum) generally a long-sleeve button-down, khakis, and nice shoes (brown or black). Sometimes a (long- or short-sleeve) polo can be worn; just depends on the function and crowd.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

WIederling

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 pm

what country / cultural environment?

could go from 3pc suit ( instead of fully formal wear ) to ... just short of bathing trunks :-))))))
Murphy is an optimist

Aesma

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:07 pm

We're having a small debate at work about what to wear as we might get a new job consisting of assisting directors (up to the CEO) in person, instead of just "regular" employees. We already have done it sporadically and some people complained about our casual wear. There is no way I'm wearing a tie, and khakis/nice shoes when I might need to crawl under a desk don't seem sensible to me, so we're left with the button down shirt (I already wear one every day) and a jacket (I don't own one). If my boss wants me to wear one, I expect a raise to pay for it !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Austin787

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
My view is that it is a polo/button down shirt (long or short sleeved...long is better) with slacks/khakis/trousers, and dress shoes. Depending on the occasion, some dark blue jeans with decent tennis shoes can be accepted, as long as a blazer is worn as well (to balance it).

Most cases, the bolded part is considered business casual. I don't think of dark blue jeans as business casual, though I could see black jeans fitting most business casual standards.

fr8mech

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:53 am

Shirt: collared shirt, buttoned down or polo. I prefer long-sleeve buttoned down, never short. Conversely, I prefer short sleeve polos, long sleeve just don’t look right. No corporate/sports team embroidery other than employer’s. A small, discrete designer’s logo is allowed.

In colder weather, it is permissible to wear a sweater, but really should be balanced with a sport coat.

Pants: khaki-type slacks with a belt. Dress slacks are also permitted. Belts must be worn. Never jeans in a dress-casual setting, unless your employer has a “jeans Friday”. Women, of course, are allowed skirts, I don’t recall the specifics.

Shoes: polishable leather.

If you’re visiting a client or vendor, it’s best to try to match their dress policy.

That’s pretty much our policy.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.

JJJ

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
I would NEVER wear jeans or sneakers to a business casual function, but here in LA, plenty of people would.

I will always remember the time many moons ago I visited a customer of mine in LA in my company-mandated suit and tie and got a "Gee, you dressed up too much" from the owner, an older guy in jeans, converse shoes and a short-sleeved polo. I took it up with my manager and they agreed to relax the policy in certain countries and climates.

But then I went to Australia, where the purchasing manager of a nationwide chain with a turnover in excess of $300m showed up in short cargo pants and boots (with a matching company polo shirt).

I can count on one hand the times I've worn a suit in the last 10 years.

cjg225

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Fortunately, my company (Fortune 75 manufacturer) has relaxed its requirements over time such that a polo and slacks is fine for business casual in the office. I actually end up dressing higher than a lot of my colleagues sometimes, wearing a tie and even a sport jacket/suit. My MBA program drilled into us so much what expectations were for dressing in the corporate environment that even though I HATE dressing up, I feel sort of obligated to do so by being in the corporate environment.

Of course... I've worked from home so much the last year or so that my "corporate dress" is now a t-shirt and athletic shorts. haha
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

SaschaYHZ

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

To me, for men at least, business casual is along the lines of this:

melpax

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:00 pm

My employer, a large government department in the 'revenue' space does not have a mandated dress code, it is generally up to the managers. My team is business casual Monday to Thursday, with Jeans, a nice shirt & neat sneakers are acceptable for Fridays, as long as you have no high-level meetings on the day. For those who are 'client-facing', it's full business (including tie) pretty much all the time. I normally wear a suit, but can't remember the last time I wore a tie to work.

I have noticed over the last 10 years or so, that a lot of companies here have gone back to full business, or business casual with no denim. You rarely see the company polo shirt here in Melbourne anymore. You'll find that if you work in Business services, insurance, law, the banks & even in residential Real Estate here, you'll likely be required to dress in full business. A mate used to work as a residential sales agent out in the suburbs. The firm he worked for changed franchises to a more 'upmarket' franchise. His boss wanted him to start buying $4K suits to fit the new image, he left not long after that...

There is a tailor who sets up the occasional pop-up store in my building. They seem to do a good trade, not hard when you have firms such as KPMG, a top-tier law firm, Marsh Mercer & one of the big banks that have offices in the complex.....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

casinterest

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Here is my take.

Business Casual is still a means of doing active business with someone, and you should dress to impress. I believe it can be a Collared Polo, short or long sleeves with Khakis. I don;t understand why folks isolate on brown or black "Business shoes". I think athletic shoes are fine for comfort .

If your job is to impress someone in a face to face meeting and or try to sell something. You should be business casual at the very least. If you are sitting at a desk solving problems and customers don't see you much or at all, then you can wear whatever your boss decides is appropriate for the setting.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

it all depends on your work environment, a good rule of thumb is to never dress more casual than management. I've seen so many people passed over because of their appearances, good grooming habits and having good taste matter. The key is to look professional enough but not too professional in a business casual office.

It really doesn't matter what clothes you wear, as long as you dry-clean your shirts and pants and keep them in good repair. no stains, no tears, no wear

cjg225

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

casinterest wrote:
Here is my take.

Business Casual is still a means of doing active business with someone, and you should dress to impress. I believe it can be a Collared Polo, short or long sleeves with Khakis. I don;t understand why folks isolate on brown or black "Business shoes". I think athletic shoes are fine for comfort .

If your job is to impress someone in a face to face meeting and or try to sell something. You should be business casual at the very least. If you are sitting at a desk solving problems and customers don't see you much or at all, then you can wear whatever your boss decides is appropriate for the setting.

Agreed. I always dress up when we're meeting vendors. Most of my colleagues don't follow suit, but I feel it's a sign of respect considering our vendors usually come in dressed up.

ER757

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

casinterest wrote:
Here is my take.

I agree with you all the way on this - the shoes thing is always a sticking point with me. When we were business casual at the office (thank goodness they've relaxed it to jeans/collared shirt OK Mon-Thur now since we are not customer facing) I always wore a new or like new pair of dark sneakers - I have never, ever felt comfortable in dress shoes. If we do have a customer function in the building like we did last week or if the corporate execs are coming in for a visit, we will do business casual.

StarAC17

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:00 pm

SaschaYHZ wrote:
To me, for men at least, business casual is along the lines of this:

That is fine but that dude needs a belt, that is all that is missing.

CCGPV wrote:
Your first description has been the one I've used for a long time. Button down, slacks, nice shoes.

The button down shirt (always long sleeved) is the key. I wouldn't do dark jeans but I don't think most would bat an eye as the tacit acceptance of relaxed standards business casual in the first place.

I hope business continues to trend away from the business suit. They are awful in every way.

The tie is useless IMHO.

A jacket can look nice but if you are walking around the office then don't wear the jacket from place to place unless it is to meet a client.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

cjg225

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Let me see if I can pour some lighter fluid on this discussion:

Brown/light shoes with a dark suit/pants: acceptable or not?

DIRECTFLT

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:23 pm

I find some businesses dress codes peculiar.

The Electronics box store Frys requires all of their male associates to wear a white long sleeve shirt. But, they do not require them to wear an undershirt. So various males with various amounts of chest hair and various styles of nipples of various colors really show through. Add to this, that most males I have seen in the store wear wrinkled white shirts, that look as if they had been slept in.

It's insulting to me, for a dress shirt to be worn that way. It's as if the dress statement in effect, is to belittle business dress.

In the case of Frys, I think they'd be better off just wearing polo shirts such as what Best Buy associates wear.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

BartSimpson

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:30 pm

I am surprised nobody has recommended IZOD Polo shirts yet as an acceptable business dress. In whatever colour...

cjg225

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
I am surprised nobody has recommended IZOD Polo shirts yet as an acceptable business dress. In whatever colour...

Do not wish it upon us.