skyservice_330
Topic Author
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Some on the forum are likely aware, but for the past few months information has been coming out about an alleged serial killer in Toronto.

As of this week, police have charged Bruce McArthur, 66, with the the first degree murder of 7 men. It seems likely that more charges will follow as they are still digging through the evidence and properties owned, or frequented, by McArthur.

This short CBC clip provides an overview of the case: http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1208849987778

Some interesting pieces of information related to the case:

- all the victims are men and all seem to have some connection to the LGBTQ community in Toronto.
- at age 66, McArthur is arguably one of the oldest serial killers in Canada (I believe Picton was in his 40s or 50s)
- McArthur owned a landscaping business - police have recovered remains from properties where he stored equipment. As well, they have recovered remains and bodies from the flower planters at the houses of his customers.
- police are investigating historical cold cases, included a series of murders of gay men in Toronto in the 70s.
- police arrested McArthur after having him under surveillance. They arrested him, it is reported, sooner then expected when they saw a young man enter his apartment. When they moved in, the young man was found bound to McArthurs bed.
- a few weeks ago, police took the rare step of releasing a picture of the face of a dead man after all other efforts to identify him failed. Today it was announced the man has been identified and they are notifying his family. It is likely an additional murder charge will be laid.

The story is developing by the day as police continue to collect evidence. It will, undoubtedly, become a spectacle once the trial gets underway.

Horrific, but interesting, but definitely horrific.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Disturbing events for sure. As a gay man, I’m interested in violence affecting the community and we’ve certainly had our fair share of serial killers. I can think of several just in the past decade or so.

I think men have a false sense of security when it comes to these things. Unlike women, most men aren’t taught to be as cautious about predators. Unfortunately, people seem to forget that several of the most prolific serial killers in history solely targeted men.
 
CCGPV
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Disturbing events for sure. As a gay man, I’m interested in violence affecting the community and we’ve certainly had our fair share of serial killers. I can think of several just in the past decade or so.

I think men have a false sense of security when it comes to these things. Unlike women, most men aren’t taught to be as cautious about predators. Unfortunately, people seem to forget that several of the most prolific serial killers in history solely targeted men.


I've been working with a pretty large group of gay guys recently and I was shocked at the percentage of them that carried a gun. The threatening behavior they face often can be staggering.
I have all day.
 
bagoldex
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 pm

CCGPV wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Disturbing events for sure. As a gay man, I’m interested in violence affecting the community and we’ve certainly had our fair share of serial killers. I can think of several just in the past decade or so.

I think men have a false sense of security when it comes to these things. Unlike women, most men aren’t taught to be as cautious about predators. Unfortunately, people seem to forget that several of the most prolific serial killers in history solely targeted men.


I've been working with a pretty large group of gay guys recently and I was shocked at the percentage of them that carried a gun. The threatening behavior they face often can be staggering.


Sounds like you're just making that up to fit your warped agenda because as a real life gay guy, I don't know anyone who does. It's never even crossed my mind and I've been assaulted fairly violently and quite a few of my friends have as well.
 
CCGPV
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm

bagoldex wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Disturbing events for sure. As a gay man, I’m interested in violence affecting the community and we’ve certainly had our fair share of serial killers. I can think of several just in the past decade or so.

I think men have a false sense of security when it comes to these things. Unlike women, most men aren’t taught to be as cautious about predators. Unfortunately, people seem to forget that several of the most prolific serial killers in history solely targeted men.


I've been working with a pretty large group of gay guys recently and I was shocked at the percentage of them that carried a gun. The threatening behavior they face often can be staggering.


Sounds like you're just making that up to fit your warped agenda because as a real life gay guy, I don't know anyone who does. It's never even crossed my mind and I've been assaulted fairly violently and quite a few of my friends have as well.


My warped agenda about what? What are you even talking about? You don't know anyone who does and I know a lot who do...but I'm wrong. How does that work?
I have all day.
 
johns624
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:17 pm

bagoldex wrote:
Sounds like you're just making that up to fit your warped agenda because as a real life gay guy, I don't know anyone who does. It's never even crossed my mind and I've been assaulted fairly violently and quite a few of my friends have as well.
If you've been severely assaulted and quite a few of your friends have too, why wouldn't you get a license to carry as protection? It's no longer and imaginary threat or something that just happens to others.
 
bagoldex
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:52 pm

johns624 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
Sounds like you're just making that up to fit your warped agenda because as a real life gay guy, I don't know anyone who does. It's never even crossed my mind and I've been assaulted fairly violently and quite a few of my friends have as well.
If you've been severely assaulted and quite a few of your friends have too, why wouldn't you get a license to carry as protection? It's no longer and imaginary threat or something that just happens to others.


I don't care for guns and I wouldn't trust myself to use it effectively. To be perfectly candid I'd rather be castrated than be one of those people who has to carry a gun around to function on a daily basis.

Beyond that, I don't buy the argument that guns make people safer. They might make people feel safer but there's little proof that they actually perform.
 
CCGPV
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:22 pm

bagoldex wrote:
johns624 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
Sounds like you're just making that up to fit your warped agenda because as a real life gay guy, I don't know anyone who does. It's never even crossed my mind and I've been assaulted fairly violently and quite a few of my friends have as well.
If you've been severely assaulted and quite a few of your friends have too, why wouldn't you get a license to carry as protection? It's no longer and imaginary threat or something that just happens to others.


I don't care for guns and I wouldn't trust myself to use it effectively. To be perfectly candid I'd rather be castrated than be one of those people who has to carry a gun around to function on a daily basis.

Beyond that, I don't buy the argument that guns make people safer. They might make people feel safer but there's little proof that they actually perform.


You never responded to my question. What "agenda" am I spreading?

It can't be the anti-gay agenda as I'm a big supporter. It can't be because I'm a gun nut because I don't even own any guns. What is my agenda here?
I have all day.
 
bagoldex
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:59 pm

CCGPV wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
johns624 wrote:
If you've been severely assaulted and quite a few of your friends have too, why wouldn't you get a license to carry as protection? It's no longer and imaginary threat or something that just happens to others.


I don't care for guns and I wouldn't trust myself to use it effectively. To be perfectly candid I'd rather be castrated than be one of those people who has to carry a gun around to function on a daily basis.

Beyond that, I don't buy the argument that guns make people safer. They might make people feel safer but there's little proof that they actually perform.


You never responded to my question. What "agenda" am I spreading?

It can't be the anti-gay agenda as I'm a big supporter. It can't be because I'm a gun nut because I don't even own any guns. What is my agenda here?


Your agenda? It seems to me that in three months and six hundred posts your agenda has been solely to get attention and you're willing to speak out of both sides of your mouth and make sh*t up to get it.
 
CCGPV
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:11 pm

bagoldex wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

I don't care for guns and I wouldn't trust myself to use it effectively. To be perfectly candid I'd rather be castrated than be one of those people who has to carry a gun around to function on a daily basis.

Beyond that, I don't buy the argument that guns make people safer. They might make people feel safer but there's little proof that they actually perform.


You never responded to my question. What "agenda" am I spreading?

It can't be the anti-gay agenda as I'm a big supporter. It can't be because I'm a gun nut because I don't even own any guns. What is my agenda here?


Your agenda? It seems to me that in three months and six hundred posts your agenda has been solely to get attention and you're willing to speak out of both sides of your mouth and make sh*t up to get it.


Oh, that agenda. In that case you are 100% correct. All of our goals should include bringing interesting and friendly debate to these forums. That's what they're known for in the aviation community- level headed reasonable discussion.

Still doesn't change the fact those guys felt safer carrying a weapon.
I have all day.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Toronto has an (alleged) serial killer

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm

CCGPV wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Disturbing events for sure. As a gay man, I’m interested in violence affecting the community and we’ve certainly had our fair share of serial killers. I can think of several just in the past decade or so.

I think men have a false sense of security when it comes to these things. Unlike women, most men aren’t taught to be as cautious about predators. Unfortunately, people seem to forget that several of the most prolific serial killers in history solely targeted men.


I've been working with a pretty large group of gay guys recently and I was shocked at the percentage of them that carried a gun. The threatening behavior they face often can be staggering.


Oh absolutely. Living in a conservative environment, I’ve felt threatened several times and I have been sexually assaulted(thankfully, he’s in prison). I recently read an FBI article with frightening statistics that said the most vulnerable people, or the people most likely to be chosen by a serial killer are women, gay men and transgender individuals. It’s sad, but with the reality of clubs and bathhouses, social media hookup apps, it’s easy pickings for these monsters.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bagoldex, sevenair, SOBHI51 and 14 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos