Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Minnesota bracing for historic... uh... "winter" storm

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:25 am

Well it's blamed mid-April, is what it is, see, but Minnesotans are accustomed to winter lasting into early May. NOAA is currently forecasting 1-3" of snow falling on the Twin Cities on Friday night, then an additional 5-9" on Saturday and that won't be the last of it.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/12/p ... minnesota/

I wonder how many school kids are bummed that it's happening on the weekend.

I'm bummed too; for I get home from work Saturday morning at 7am then hit the hay so I can be back at work for a 12-hour shift at 6pm on Saturday - three floors underground. Would much rather get to stay home and watch it come down.

Or at least get to stay home in order not to have to drive in it.

(Was going to wash my car the other night, good thing I didn't waste the energy.)

MSPbrandon

Re: Minnesota bracing for historic... uh... "winter" storm

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:35 am

Dammit.. more shoveling. ugh

Brick

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:28 pm

I guess I won't complain about inch of overnight snow and the 45°F temperature drop from yesterday afternoon to this morning in Denver.

The drastic temperature swing bothers me more than the precip...

mham001

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 pm

I feel your pain. It hasn't been above 62F here for 2 days!

NIKV69

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:45 pm

A foot in not really historic. I mean it's MN. What do you think April should be? Warm?

mmo

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:04 pm

I remember having snow in Maywhen we lived in MN. After all, everyone knows there are 2 seasons in MN, Winter and Road Repair!!

Don't miss it at all. Spain is great this time of year :-)

787Driver

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Why would anyone choose to live in MN when they can live in California? Lol

seb146

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank goodness climate change is not real!

I was just telling the brosband that winter in Oregon used to be like October to March but, now, it seems it is December to April.

ER757

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 pm

787Driver wrote:
Why would anyone choose to live in MN when they can live in California? Lol

Many years ago I saw a standup comic who was from Minnesota - she said "I am from Minnesota, my ancestors were the Vikings - they crossed oceans, battled raging seas and countless hardships, all to find the one place just as f***ing miserable as the one they left" :smile:

Guess I shouldn't complain about the endless string of rain storms lately here in Seattle (another one hitting this weekend) - at least I don't have to shovel it

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:07 am

As of 5pm. they had not plowed Lake Street west of Lake Calhoun, so my Corolla totally got stuck.

However, very nice people came over to give me a push, as well some navigational aid as we were in near-white-out conditions!!

I like nice people.

:smile:

einsteinboricua

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:37 am

I think the "historic" aspect is not so much for MN as it is for the rest of the nation. Blizzard conditions in the Dakotas in April? Not exactly your typical April weather.

Brick wrote:
Tell me about it. It was in the upper 70s in for the past two days. Today we're supposed to still be in the mid 70s before we drop to the 50s again. Wouldn't mind the temperature drop if it were preceded with severe weather (thunderstorms, hail, the whole package).

Revelation

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 pm

mmo wrote:
I remember having snow in Maywhen we lived in MN. After all, everyone knows there are 2 seasons in MN, Winter and Road Repair!!

In Maine there are three seasons: Snow, mud and black fly.

ltbewr

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm

In one town, the HS prom got cancelled, but not before some had their pictures taken at a local firehouse. Some of the Limos were getting stuck it was blizzard conditions, safety is most important.

Cadet985

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 pm

The temperature swing is the killer. It was 82°F in Philadelphia the other day, now it’s 40°F. I actually had to call my doctor last week and ask if I had a cold or allergies, so I’d take the right medication.

That’s the end of my complaining though. Summer is horrible for me, and we could always be getting a blizzard.

If you’re in MSP or the surrounding area, be safe.

The joke about two seasons in Minnesota — winter and road construction — be original. Pennsylvania roads are worse.

Marc

CCGPV

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 pm

81 high yesterday and 40 high tomorrow.

I'm so over this winter.

TWA772LR

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 am

Airstud wrote:
As of 5pm. they had not plowed Lake Street west of Lake Calhoun, so my Corolla totally got stuck.

However, very nice people came over to give me a push, as well some navigational aid as we were in near-white-out conditions!!

I like nice people.

:smile:

I havent met a mean Minnesotan or Michigander yet. Y'all are practically Canadians! :biggrin:

luckyone

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I think the "historic" aspect is not so much for MN as it is for the rest of the nation. Blizzard conditions in the Dakotas in April? Not exactly your typical April weather.

Brick wrote:
Tell me about it. It was in the upper 70s in for the past two days. Today we're supposed to still be in the mid 70s before we drop to the 50s again. Wouldn't mind the temperature drop if it were preceded with severe weather (thunderstorms, hail, the whole package).

While not routine it’s not uncommon for the Upper Great Lakes and Plains to get snow through April/May. I’ve lived in Chicago for six years and half of those have had some sort of snow in April. Yesterday I was in Milwaukee and they had several inches, and the edge of that storm made it down to Chicago and we have a dusting of snow.

Flighty

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 pm

MSP can have blizzards in October through April. Seven months... think about it.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 am

It's Wisconsin that has had snow records shattered from this storm all over the place.

So much heavy, wet snow, that some businesses roofs have collapsed.

Scorpius

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:53 am

For comparison, the effects of snowfall on 3 and 4 February 2018 in Moscow:

WildcatYXU

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Scorpius wrote:

It looks like a few hours of lake effect snow here in YXU. And what's important, it was early February, so one expects weather like this. Now we are almost a month past the spring equinox, so one would like so see some spring weather, not this winter crap (albeit it was different around here, freezing rain instead of snow).
This year we had 6 hours of spring weather so far.

Scorpius

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:56 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
Scorpius wrote:

It looks like a few hours of lake effect snow here in YXU. And what's important, it was early February, so one expects weather like this. Now we are almost a month past the spring equinox, so one would like so see some spring weather, not this winter crap (albeit it was different around here, freezing rain instead of snow).

In fact, this is strange, because Minnesota is 11° closer to the South than Moscow.

WildcatYXU

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Scorpius wrote:
In fact, this is strange, because Minnesota is 11° closer to the South than Moscow.

Yes, it feels definitely strange. Look at our coordinates: 42.9849° N, 81.2453° W. Almost 13 degrees south from Moscow. Only about a degree north compared to BCN or FCO. And yet our winters can be sort of crazy and what's worse, they are long. It is -2C right now and snowing.

2122M

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Scorpius wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:
Scorpius wrote:

Moscow and Liverpool, England are almost exactly as far north as each other, yet they have wildly different climates. I think every here on an aviation forum should know there is far more to climate than just how far north or south a location is, right?

In fact, that link was from the mid-winter storm that put 17" of snow on the ground over one weekend, which was record breaking. The NE US had a number of places get over 20" of snow in a 24 hour period more than once just this winter, and NYC sits a full 14 degrees south of Moscow.

Scorpius

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:11 am

2122M wrote:
Scorpius wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

Moscow and Liverpool, England are almost exactly as far north as each other, yet they have wildly different climates. I think every here on an aviation forum should know there is far more to climate than just how far north or south a location is, right?

In fact, that link was from the mid-winter storm that put 17" of snow on the ground over one weekend, which was record breaking. The NE US had a number of places get over 20" of snow in a 24 hour period more than once just this winter, and NYC sits a full 14 degrees south of Moscow.

I am aware that the climate of the region depends more on the balance of precipitation and wind than on the latitude of the location. In the same Moscow, the climate is temperate continental, and in Minnesota - continental, that is, more pronounced temperature gradients.
However, I have a question-how is the amount of fallen snow measured in the United States? You write: "from the mid-winter storm that put 17" of snow on the ground "- I understand correctly that in this case 17" - is the thickness of the snow cover of freshly fallen snow?

2122M

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Scorpius wrote:
2122M wrote:
Scorpius wrote:

I am aware that the climate of the region depends more on the balance of precipitation and wind than on the latitude of the location. In the same Moscow, the climate is temperate continental, and in Minnesota - continental, that is, more pronounced temperature gradients.
However, I have a question-how is the amount of fallen snow measured in the United States? You write: "from the mid-winter storm that put 17" of snow on the ground "- I understand correctly that in this case 17" - is the thickness of the snow cover of freshly fallen snow?

That is correct. That is a measurement of the snow produced by that storm, not a cumulative total.

cledaybuck

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:09 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
A foot in not really historic. I mean it's MN. What do you think April should be? Warm?

In the Twin Cities, the snowfall total of 15.8 inches was the largest to occur so late in the season, broke the storm-total accumulation record for April, and made April of 2018 the snowiest April on record. Additionally, by holding temperatures to the 20s or very low 30s during Saturday and Sunday, the storm enabled St. Cloud, Duluth, Rochester, and the Twin Cities to break records for the lowest high temperature of the day.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/thunder-bli ... -2018.html

Seems historic to me.

Scorpius

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:43 pm

2122M wrote:
Scorpius wrote:
2122M wrote:

That is correct. That is a measurement of the snow produced by that storm, not a cumulative total.

The fact that in Russia the measurement of rainfall is reduced to a single form, and measured in millimeters per square meter. At the same time, the snow is melted for measurements, that is, the measurement of precipitation always occurs in millimeters of the water layer. For example, for the whole of this winter in Moscow, according to weather forecasters dropped a total of 217 mm of rainfall, which corresponds with the layer of snow with a thickness of about approximately three meters (about 10 feet).

cledaybuck

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Scorpius wrote:
2122M wrote:
Scorpius wrote:

The fact that in Russia the measurement of rainfall is reduced to a single form, and measured in millimeters per square meter. At the same time, the snow is melted for measurements, that is, the measurement of precipitation always occurs in millimeters of the water layer. For example, for the whole of this winter in Moscow, according to weather forecasters dropped a total of 217 mm of rainfall, which corresponds with the layer of snow with a thickness of about approximately three meters (about 10 feet).
We actually measure it both ways. The 17" is the depth of the freshly fallen snow, but it is also melted down to a liquid equivalent. The liquid equivalent to snow depth ratio can vary a lot.