luckyone
Topic Author

Paul Ryan not to run for reelection

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:59 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 46aeb609c8

Not much of a surprise after previous reports surfaced, that he repeatedly denied, much like was adamant that he would never accept a Speakership in the first place. It begs the question of when to believe him...

Going forward, Mr. Ryan is really good at humblebrag and the long game, and I expect he's anticipating a Blue Wave, and maybe even contemplating a Trump challenge in 2020 if things go south for the President (I'm not saying they will...) or a run in 2024. Ultimately I suspect the Speakership was a derailment of his ultimate goal of running for POTUS.

Dutchy

Re: Paul Ryan not to run for reelection

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Fat up with Trump and the situation? Or indeed distancing himself from the disaster that is the Trump presidency.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

seb146

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:31 pm

His slogan for 2020 will be "at least I am not tRump!" and he will get a sizable number of votes in the primary.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:16 pm

He will go down in history for being a puppet in a plan to devalue the US currency and destroy the economy. Paul Ryan is only speaker because the GOP went full stupid in 2015.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

LittleFokker

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Shouldn't this headline read: "Spineless wimp who doesn't know the first thing about leadership or responsible governance breaks the government, then quits and runs crying home because he knows he was going to get his ass handed to him by Randy Bryce this fall." Or is that too many words?

Also: "Guy who has spent entire adult life working for the government complains about career politicians."
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

LMP737

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Never take financial advice from co-workers.

910A

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm

I can't imagine Speaker Ryan ever running for a political office again. First of all, no prior Speaker of the House has ever been elected President. Second, I can just see him campaigning on cutting spending, balancing the budget, and his opponents reminding the American public of his legacy as speaker of passing a huge tax cut to the rich and increasing the budget deficit and national debt to amounts never seen before in a non-world war era.

luckyone
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 pm

910A wrote:
I can't imagine Speaker Ryan ever running for a political office again. First of all, no prior Speaker of the House has ever been elected President. Second, I can just see him campaigning on cutting spending, balancing the budget, and his opponents reminding the American public of his legacy as speaker of passing a huge tax cut to the rich and increasing the budget deficit and national debt to amounts never seen before in a non-world war era.

It has actually occurred once. James Polk who was elected president in 1845. But yes, Ryan's term as speaker doesn't do his aspirations any favors.

910A

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:18 pm

luckyone wrote:
910A wrote:

It has actually occurred once. James Polk who was elected president in 1845. But yes, Ryan's term as speaker doesn't do his aspirations any favors.

You got me on that one. I may be old, but not that old. :white:

einsteinboricua

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 pm

910A wrote:
You got me on that one. I may be old, but not that old. :white:

No one's that old either...but it's history :geek:
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Who would contest his seat in WI besides GOP white supremacist and proud antisemite Paul Nehlen?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Ken777

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:25 pm

I can't blame Ryan. He's taken a lot of crap from the Tea Party folks as well as the normal politicians. He'll be fine and his replacement will be ready to go after the changeover in January.

Best part is that he can be with his family full time. And soon we can have a Democrat in that job.

KICT

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Paul Ryan is a coward. First he blows up the tax code, resulting in massive increases in the deficit, then he jumps ship to avoid any blame for the upcoming political fallout.

salttee

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 pm

But he's enhancing his reputation for being a republican genius. In a few years a lot of Republicans will say "damn that guy is smart, I should have gotten out when he did".

MSPNWA

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:57 pm

I'll help him pack. Way back I thought Ryan was a true conservative. Obviously he turned out to a be phony. He's a big government, globalist RINO that's a owns a prominent place in the Washington Swamp. He doesn't work for Americans, just like many of his R colleagues and virtually all of the other side of the aisle. Glad Wisconsin has to replace him. Keep draining it.

NIKV69

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:21 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
I'll help him pack. Way back I thought Ryan was a true conservative. Obviously he turned out to a be phony. He's a big government, globalist RINO that's a owns a prominent place in the Washington Swamp. He doesn't work for Americans, just like many of his R colleagues and virtually all of the other side of the aisle. Glad Wisconsin has to replace him. Keep draining it.

AMEN! Good Riddance I couldn't believe he became speaker in the first place.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

KICT

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I couldn't believe he became speaker in the first place.

He became Speaker because no one else wanted the job.

WarRI1

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 am

Like rats leaving a sinking ship is my view of this news. Let us hope more rats do not take his place. I do not have much hope.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DocLightning

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:33 am

I think it's obvious he's tired of leading a party consisting of multiple factions of equally irrational people and also that he does not want to preside over the bloodbath that awaits the GOP in November. You can see in his face that this job has taken a toll on him and he's just done with it.

He can get a nice job for $500k being a political consultant or TV pundit, which is way more than he makes as a congressman.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Jouhou

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 am

I'm curious if this means he finally grows a spine. All these retiring republicans grow spines as soon as they don't have to worry about re election anymore. See: Trey Gowdy, Jeff Flake

Jouhou

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:14 am

MSPNWA wrote:

You can look at who the Kochs are funding if you want to avoid Paul Ryans. The Kochs are libertarians, they back candidates who have a hard-on for Ayn Rand and are generally more idealistic than realistic. Assuming that by globalist you refer to liberalized trade and immigration policies.

... then again I don't think I want to know what a "true conservative" is in your eyes, I probably don't like it. Might as well help everyone be better informed voters though.

tommy1808

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:34 am

KICT wrote:
Paul Ryan is a coward. First he blows up the tax code, resulting in massive increases in the deficit, then he jumps ship to avoid any blame for the upcoming political fallout.

well, he probably just needed to give himself a tax cut so he can retire.....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

einsteinboricua

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:36 am

I think Ryan smells blood in terms of his political future (a credible challenger in his district, Trump not doing the GOP any favors, and the possibility of losing the majority). I also give credibility to his claim to spend more family time, something a leader will not have time to do. However, I'm skeptical of the blue wave being augmented by his retirement. If anything it could help stem it if it means die-hard conservatives (who would have stayed home) will come out in droves now because a person they consider a RINO won't be Speaker if they keep the majority. In other words, they may be more open minded about forgiving their local GOP rep if it means someone they find appealing becomes the GOP caucus leader. Of course, it's a moot point if the GOP loses the House.

Revelation

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am

He just doesn't fit in in with the current WH leadership.

Sure, he's a white male, but he's not a senior citizen and he's not angry enough.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

jetero

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Revelation wrote:
He just doesn't fit in in with the current WH leadership.

Sure, he's a white male, but he's not a senior citizen and he's not angry enough.

Shouldn’t have done P90X, fat is in these days.

The “I want to be a dad” excuse is such drivel. I hope his kids really have grown up to resent him ‘cuz he deserves it. What a cross he has borne for all of his career ... and he’s only realized it now.

Yesterday some nitwit commentator on the news said something to the effect of, “Yes, nothing to see here, this has nothing to do with Trump, he wants to be with his kids, in fact he told me his proudest moment was teaching his daughter how to hunt deer.”

What. A. Friggin. Loser. You could’ve been a Daddy and killed many more animals all of this time of you didn’t have your head so far up your a*s. (As if Paul Ryan knows the first thing about hunting.) All that time so wasted, and you’ll never get it back. It’s OK, your 17 year old will remember your sacrifice for spending time with him for the first time as a non “Weekend Daddy.”

Adios, muchacho.

#Loser

bennett123

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:25 pm

So who will replace him?.

KICT

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Nancy Pelosi.

johns624

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:54 pm

I love all the people calling him a RINO. He was elected as Speaker of the House by a majority of the other Republicans. I guess that makes them RINOs also. Since they are the majority, they are the real Republicans and the ones calling them RINOs are the crazy far right wing of the party (as if we didn't already know that).

seb146

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 pm

KICT wrote:
Nancy Pelosi.

I doubt she will replace him. Democrats are looking for someone younger. They like that she has connections and can get things done but I feel someone else will be the next speaker. Corey Booker perhaps? Or is he a Senator?

KICT

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:03 pm

I mention Pelosi in jest because I know it will trigger right wingers.
As for Booker, he's a Senator. Likely to be the next VP pick, by the way - at least in my opinion.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 pm

seb146 wrote:
KICT wrote:
Nancy Pelosi.

I doubt she will replace him. Democrats are looking for someone younger. They like that she has connections and can get things done but I feel someone else will be the next speaker. Corey Booker perhaps? Or is he a Senator?

Oh sure go even more far left. :stirthepot:

seb146

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:20 am

KICT wrote:
I mention Pelosi in jest because I know it will trigger right wingers.
As for Booker, he's a Senator. Likely to be the next VP pick, by the way - at least in my opinion.

I have seen him and heard his name. I think Democrats will go with someone from the Midwest or South. If they do go West Coast again, maybe Earl Blumenauer from Oregon.

Hi NikV :wave:

StarAC17

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:17 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
KICT wrote:
Nancy Pelosi.

The reason the democrats lose it that they run as Republican lite, their donors pay them to do that. Also why should liberals listen to conservatives on what they should do as that is a losing strategy, conservatives aren't going to vote for democrats in any capacity.

The most popular politicians in the United States are Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren both whom are left left left. Had Bernie won the democratic platform he would have wiped the floor with Trump in the general. Hillary lost because she doesn't inspire and is Republican lite.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

NIKV69

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:48 pm

StarAC17 wrote:

The most popular politicians in the United States are Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren both whom are left left left. Had Bernie won the democratic platform he would have wiped the floor with Trump in the general. Hillary lost because she doesn't inspire and is Republican lite.

Wishful thinking. The Dems only shot was Biden in a heads up with Trump. Sanders would have lost by the same margin as Clinton. Fringe, extreme candidates like Sanders don't play well in states like PA, OH or FL. Even if you try to trick them and say he is an "independent"

2122M

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:

Wishful thinking. The Dems only shot was Biden in a heads up with Trump. Sanders would have lost by the same margin as Clinton. Fringe, extreme candidates like Sanders don't play well in states like PA, OH or FL. Even if you try to trick them and say he is an "independent"

A "Fringe, extreme candidate" won the general election by tricking a lot of folks in PA, OH and FL into thinking he is independent.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

2122M wrote:
A "Fringe, extreme candidate" won the general election by tricking a lot of folks in PA, OH and FL into thinking he is independent.

Trump won those states because his past has him as a moderate. Please list all his policies that are "extreme" I would love to see them. :rotfl:

2122M

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
2122M wrote:

Trump won those states because his past has him as a moderate. Please list all his policies that are "extreme" I would love to see them. :rotfl:

Well lets see, he campaigned on banning Muslims, surveillance of Mosques, pulling out of NATO, pulling out of NAFTA, deportation of ALL illegal immigrants, criminalizing abortion, helping Japan build a nuclear arsenal, expanding the US torture program, and of course being fiscally conservative, but spending a few billion dollars on a wall.

That's the abbreviated list.

If those don't seem extreme to you, then you live on the fringe with him (but we all know that already).

NIKV69

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm

2122M wrote:

Well lets see, he campaigned on banning Muslims, surveillance of Mosques, pulling out of NATO, pulling out of NAFTA, deportation of ALL illegal immigrants, criminalizing abortion, helping Japan build a nuclear arsenal, expanding the US torture program, and of course being fiscally conservative, but spending a few billion dollars on a wall.

That's the abbreviated list.

If those don't seem extreme to you, then you live on the fringe with him (but we all know that already).

He didn't want to ban muslims. That was a MSNBC talking point. The surveillance extension was not about watching mosques it was about monitoring digital traffic coming and going and is necessary in combating terrorism. He isn't going to do a mass deportation that is another piece of propaganda and now the Dems don't want to move on DACA because it would expose their hypocrisy as Trump will let dreamers stay. As for the wall securing our border is not extreme I mean why don't you try to sneak into Mexico and tell me how well you do?

Trump is a president who want's to give us jobs and have us keep more of what we make. While keeping dangerous countries on notice and dangerous people out. To do this you have to screen the entrants harder. He supports law enforcement. Has the economy improving.

I know to the far left zealots this seems extreme but it's not. The high tax, open border weak on foreign defense is what is extreme. If your theory was true then those independent states that chose our leader would have voted for Clinton but they didn't and it wasn't because of what some idiot from the FBI said about Hillary either.

2122M

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:56 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

He didn't want to ban muslims. That was a MSNBC talking point.

MSNBC didn't propose a "total and complete shutdown" on Muslims entering the country. Even if he did mean it as a temporary measure an immigration policy drawing distinctions based on religion is extreme. And stupid.

NIKV69 wrote:

The surveillance extension was not about watching mosques it was about monitoring digital traffic coming and going and is necessary in combating terrorism.

"The surveillance extension" Wow, that's a hell of effort to moderate what he actually said. He wanted to spy on Mosques. Digital or physical, that's an extreme position to hold and one singling out a specific religion.

NIKV69 wrote:

He isn't going to do a mass deportation that is another piece of propaganda

He said all 11.3 MIlion illegal immigrants have to go. MSNBC didn't say that. Trump did. You can't run away from that. "We have at least 11 million people in this country that came in illegally. They will go out."

NIKV69 wrote:

and now the Dems don't want to move on DACA because it would expose their hypocrisy as Trump will let dreamers stay.

Why has Trump ripped up the bipartisan DACA deals that have been brought to him? Dem's fault? I think not.

NIKV69 wrote:

As for the wall securing our border is not extreme I mean why don't you try to sneak into Mexico and tell me how well you do?

The Wall is not an extreme policy, just an extreme waste of money.

NIKV69 wrote:

Has the economy improving.

The economy is continuing an overall trend started in 2009 after the recession and facilitated by the previous administration. Trump has only served to stir up a great deal of uncertainty and volatility, both qualities investors could live without.

StarAC17

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:12 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:

I do agree the Biden would have beat Trump but he didn't run so that is history.

Bernie won the Wisconsin and Michigan primaries against Hillary and it only surprised the democratic elite (GOP lite). Pennsylvania is the real kicker because Hillary won the primary and lost in the general.
Very close to those primaries Hillary was polling way ahead (if those states are blue with PA which is traditionally blue then Trump loses). The tipping point in the election was voters in those states the voted for Obama voted for Trump and that tipped the election. We may agree to disagree but most polls showed that Bernie had a double figure lead nationally against Trump and polled better than him in those states.

The one thing that would have made this election interesting is that the national media would have been actually actively supporting Trump if he was up against Bernie.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

tommy1808

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:14 pm

2122M wrote:
Trump has only served to stir up a great deal of uncertainty and volatility, both qualities investors could live without.

You just have to look at the USD-EUR exchange rate. The USD should get stronger with the FED raising interest rates and the EU central bank doesn't, instead the USD dropped and is barely keeping stable. Exchange rate should be 1:1 or better, not 1.24 USD on the EURO.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

seb146

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

The reason the democrats lose it that they run as Republican lite, their donors pay them to do that. Also why should liberals listen to conservatives on what they should do as that is a losing strategy, conservatives aren't going to vote for democrats in any capacity.

I think Bernie would have lost the popular vote, instead of what happened. The biggest reason Hillary lost the Electoral College is the "flyover states" decided to believe the lies. Remember that she actually wiped the floor with tRump but, enough small states got together and decided that 25+ years of investigations uncovering nothing and testimony under oath uncovering nothing was worse than a lying, cheating, bankrupt, snake oil salesman. Those same "flyover states" hated America so much that this whole notion of America was the worst country ever was actually true for them.

Democrats lose because of redistricting and because they think big picture, and not starting at the local level. They need to flip state houses and individual cities before taking Congress. But, thanks to the lies and scandal and hatred of media, that will probably not matter, come November.

stl07

Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Good. Another part of the swamp will be drained. Now bring me a true conservative

MaverickM11

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 pm

stl07 wrote:
Good. Another part of the swamp will be drained. Now bring me a true conservative

And what is that, exactly, at this point?
E pur si muove -Galileo

einsteinboricua

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:15 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
Bernie won the Wisconsin and Michigan primaries against Hillary

And Cruz won Wisconsin instead of Trump. Would that mean Wisconsin should have gone to Clinton?

ER757

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 pm

seb146 wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I think Bernie would have lost the popular vote, instead of what happened. The biggest reason Hillary lost the Electoral College is the "flyover states" decided to believe the lies. Remember that she actually wiped the floor with tRump but, enough small states got together and decided that 25+ years of investigations uncovering nothing and testimony under oath uncovering nothing was worse than a lying, cheating, bankrupt, snake oil salesman. Those same "flyover states" hated America so much that this whole notion of America was the worst country ever was actually true for them.

Democrats lose because of redistricting and because they think big picture, and not starting at the local level. They need to flip state houses and individual cities before taking Congress. But, thanks to the lies and scandal and hatred of media, that will probably not matter, come November.

Can't entirely agree with this assessment - Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania aren't "flyover" states - if Clinton carried one or two of those she'd be sitting in the Oval Office. Trump won because Clinton was a weak candidate, because a lot of Bernie-Bots didn't vote at all in the general election because they were butt-hurt over his treatment by the DNC and because I think there were a fair number of people who figured she had a lock on the win and couldn't be bothered to get out and vote because they felt they didn't need to. Result.....President Trump

seb146

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 am

ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:

Can't entirely agree with this assessment - Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania aren't "flyover" states - if Clinton carried one or two of those she'd be sitting in the Oval Office. Trump won because Clinton was a weak candidate, because a lot of Bernie-Bots didn't vote at all in the general election because they were butt-hurt over his treatment by the DNC and because I think there were a fair number of people who figured she had a lock on the win and couldn't be bothered to get out and vote because they felt they didn't need to. Result.....President Trump

Hillary was not a weak candidate. Look at her resume. Look at her experience. She was more qualified than almost anyone. She lost the Electoral College (she won the popular vote) because of Bernie Bros and because those in rural areas believed the lies. That investigations made her unfit for office. The same people who are protecting and standing up for the current administration which is under investigation.

stl07

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:40 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

And what is that, exactly, at this point?

Unfortunately, not many. At best, I'd say Jeff Flake. There are some out there, but even fewer people that actually end up winning or even running.

In most elections these days I have been supporting the democrat.