DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

“Rogue” Network Of Cellular Eavesdropping Devices Discovered Throughout Washington D.C.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:22 pm

“Rogue” Network Of Cellular Eavesdropping Devices Discovered Throughout Washington D.C.

The Stingray units operate by tricking a cellular device into locking onto them instead of a legitimate cell tower – revealing the exact location of a particular phone. As AP notes, more sophisticated versions can eavesdrop on calls by forcing phones to step down to the older, unencrypted 2G wireless channel. Other Stingray devices can plant malware on a phone.

https://youtu.be/UG5juhuhE2g

The executive branch, however, has shied away from even discussing the subject.

Aaron Turner, president of the mobile security consultancy Integricell, was among the experts who conducted the 2014 sweeps, in part to try to drum up business. Little has changed since, he said.

Like other major world capitals, he said, Washington is awash in unauthorized interception devices. Foreign embassies have free rein because they are on sovereign soil. –AP

A former adviser to FCC chairman Tom Wheeler, Gigi Sohn, said there was no political will to tackle the issue against opposition from the intelligence community and local police forces that were using the devices “willy-nilly.” –AP
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

salttee

Re: “Rogue” Network Of Cellular Eavesdropping Devices Discovered Throughout Washington D.C.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Possibly, US intel agencies are happy with the way things are now.
They may be gaining more intel on the interlopers than the interlopers are gaining from their interceptions.

George Smiley talked about stuff like this.

c933103

Re: “Rogue” Network Of Cellular Eavesdropping Devices Discovered Throughout Washington D.C.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:34 am

Not sure about the US, but in China, criminals have more than a decade history of track record for utilize these rogue stations to make financial gains like sending out fake sms or such

seb146

Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:17 am

This has actually been discussed in "liberal" media like Air America and MSNBC and SiriusXM Progress and Thom Hartmann but, because they are hated and "fake" news, we need to be outraged now because........?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

sccutler

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:29 am

seb146 wrote:
This has actually been discussed in "liberal" media like Air America and MSNBC and SiriusXM Progress and Thom Hartmann but, because they are hated and "fake" news, we need to be outraged now because........?

We should be outraged because the practice is outrageous?

As for the absence of outrage secondary to reporting in the outlets you mention (assuming it was reported), not rperribly surprising given the relative obscurity and general unreliability of the outlets. A good reminder, though, that we should always be listening.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

seb146

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 am

sccutler wrote:
seb146 wrote:

We should be outraged because the practice is outrageous?

As for the absence of outrage secondary to reporting in the outlets you mention (assuming it was reported), not rperribly surprising given the relative obscurity and general unreliability of the outlets. A good reminder, though, that we should always be listening.

I don't know why people don't research things. I don't trust 90% or more of what is said on Fox because I google and read. I don't know why Fox followers can not do the same with "liberal" media instead of just "well, they're wrong because they are 'liberal' media."
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

tommy1808

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 am

seb146 wrote:
I don't know why Fox followers can not do the same with "liberal" media instead of just "well, they're wrong because they are 'liberal' media."

Evolution of the conservative meme. Just like your body has an Immune system and adapts, memes have that as well. Religious and political fundamentalism, just like your body, have to find ways to deal with the reality they face. Knowledge can either be incorporated into the meme, changing it in the process (i.e. interpreting holy scripture as allegory instead of fact) or set up defenses against that sort of knowledge.

The "Trump Meme" has evolved into denying facts just as much as religious fundamentalists deny Evolution.

Hence: The don´t fact check either Fox nor anything else, because they subconsciously know what they will find out (of course that is if they don´t check).

Wikipedia Delusion article wrote:
Although non-specific concepts of madness have been around for several thousand years, the psychiatrist and philosopher Karl Jaspers was the first to define the three main criteria for a belief to be considered delusional in his 1913 book General Psychopathology.[1] These criteria are:

certainty (held with absolute conviction)
incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counterargument or proof to the contrary)
impossibility or falsity of content (implausible, bizarre, or patently untrue)[2]
Furthermore, when a false belief involves a value judgment, it is only considered a delusion if it is so extreme that it cannot be, or never can be proven true. For example: a man claiming that he flew into the sun and flew back home. This would be considered a delusion,[3] unless he were speaking figuratively, or if the belief had a cultural or religious source.

But yes, today we have the ability to check stuff where ever we are, unless there is no network coverage, and heck, things like Alexa or Siri could probably make a running fact check at all times, yet few people bother, and that kinda puzzles me.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......