Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

milemaster
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines female co-pilot claims male pilot drugged and raped her

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:45 pm

A Seattle-based pilot employed by Alaska Airlines has filed a lawsuit against the airline, claiming that her male aircraft captain drugged and raped her during a June 2017 work trip.

Betty Pina, a former military helicopter pilot who flew combat missions in Afghanistan, told KIRO 7 that during an overnight stay in Minneapolis, the pilot spiked her wine with an unknown substance and she woke up in his bedroom.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/03/14/alaska-airlines-female-co-pilot-claims-male-pilot-drugged-and-raped-her.html

dfwjim1

Re: Alaska Airlines female co-pilot claims male pilot drugged and raped her

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm

An overnight stay... shouldn't the pilot (s) not have been drinking wine?

smokeybandit

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Well I'm sure he has ample evidence that she was drugged, vs. just one night stand remorse.

usflyer msp

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Even if her story is true, how is that event Alaska's fault?
She should be suing the captain...

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 pm

Not sure about this one. Where's the proof that she was drugged? Did they run blood tests that demonstrates that she was drugged? And how does she know that it was the pilot that drugged her? Maybe they had sex with the pilot not knowing that she was drugged to begin with? Maybe they didn't even have sex at all?

VSMUT

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Disgusting pig, hope he gets his license revoked.

usflyer msp wrote:

If it happens at work (and an outstation is work), then it is also the employers responsibility to take action.

evank516

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:15 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

More important, if she was actually drugged and raped she should be pressing charges, not just suing.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:16 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

I’m guessing it’s not Alaska’s “fault” per se but they were technically working (on layover for work) so she might claim that they were responsible for keeping her safe. Of course, you might argue that it’s impossible or st least unreasonable for an airline to prevent one employee from drugging another employees glass of wine (ah, the life of a flight attendant) but this is America and Alaska will probably bear some responsibility.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Where's the proof that she was drugged?

Where's the proof that she was raped?

Where's the proof that it was the pilot who drugged her?

Where's the proof that the pilot even knew that she was drugged IF they had sex?

jetmatt777

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Disgusting pig, hope he gets his license revoked.

usflyer msp wrote:

If it happens at work (and an outstation is work), then it is also the employers responsibility to take action.

It's also possible that it's a legal tactic to force the company into taking a deeper look into his file and open a serious investigation. Typically any "he said she said" investigations result in a written warning of some form and that's about it. By naming the company in the lawsuit, the company will be forced to conduct a much more thorough investigation and release whatever they find (in the process of absolving themselves) to the court.

VSMUT

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Noise wrote:

Where's the proof that the pilot even knew that she was drugged IF they had sex?

Lets be a bit more realistic here. What are the chances that she gets drugged and ends up in the captains room after having had unwilling sex and the captain isn't responsible? Next to none.

cledaybuck

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Hard to imagine how so many sexual assaults go unreported after reading the comments here.

ual763

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 pm

Never get your honey, where you make your money. No good can ever come from it.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Noise wrote:

Lets be a bit more realistic here. What are the chances that she gets drugged and ends up in the captains room after having had unwilling sex and the captain isn't responsible? Next to none.

In cases like these, particularly sexual assault cases, proof matters a lot! We're talking about someone's life and career here. If we're going to pass judgement on him, we better see some sort of forensic or scientific proof.
Last edited by Noise on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tb727

dfwjim1 wrote:
An overnight stay... shouldn't the pilot (s) not have been drinking wine?

lol, what?

jetmatt777

[list=][/list]
cledaybuck wrote:
Hard to imagine how so many sexual assaults go unreported after reading the comments here.

No kidding. Most sexual abuse victims know all too well what is coming for them when they go public with their story. Hint: it's not good things as evidenced by this thread. It's humiliating and embarrassing to admit that you were taken advantage of against your will. It's very rare for people to make up these stories and actually file a lawsuit. The fake stories get weeded out much earlier on.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:35 pm

ual763 wrote:
Never get your honey, where you make your money. No good can ever come from it.

I did it, and got sentenced to 26 years of hard marriage. And counting. :lol:

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:42 pm

I wanna see some cold, hard proof before I pass judgement.

Again, where's the proof that she was drugged? Have they even done any toxicology tests?

Whiplash6

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:43 pm

*Has sex with another pilot on overnight.

One year later:

Was I drugged? I may have been drugged. Yeah. I must’ve been. I’m pretty sure. Oh well.

*Ruins man’s career.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Whiplash6 wrote:

One year later:

Was I drugged? I may have been drugged. Yeah. I must’ve been. I’m pretty sure. Oh well.

*Ruins man’s career.

Do we know when it was first reported? Or do we know only what some click-bait “Horror in the Sky” story told us?

7673mech

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Slug71 wrote:
I'm going to call BS. I think the pilot would have to be drugged to hit that. I'm sure the hotel will have video surveillance though.

Its attitudes like this that make it hard for women to come forward when things like this happen.
Your attitude towards women is disgraceful.

jubguy3

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:58 pm

cledaybuck wrote:

Amen. The toxic attitudes here are horrible. "How do we know that she was raped?" She is suing, that's something the courts will figure out. I would be terrified to report sexual assault if people talked about it like I was automatically a false reporter. Kudos to her for taking a stand against sexual assault. And guess what, if it's a false report, the courts will figure that out too. Somebody is at fault here, and the victim blaming seems to be the issue. If it's a false report it's a false report, but people love to jump on any report with "How do we know she isn't lying" as if they care about the rape itself less.

Polot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 pm

The whole “did the captain actually drug her or not” is just a distraction. It doesn’t matter if she was drugged or not, or who drugged her, or how. If the captain had sex with her when she was in a state where she could not give firm consent (whether it be from drugs, alcohol, a medical condition/emergency, or something else) then it is rape. Period.

Jamake1

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Well I can see that misogyny and sexism are alive and well on A. Net today...

Revelation

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 pm

cledaybuck wrote:

Yep, same as what is written in the comments at the end of the story, sigh.

atcsundevil

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Please keep the discussion on topic. The discussion has been moved to Non Av, but please keep things appropriate.

✈️ atcsundevil

c933103

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Polot wrote:
The whole “did the captain actually drug her or not” is just a distraction. It doesn’t matter if she was drugged or not, or who drugged her, or how. If the captain had sex with her when she was in a state where she could not give firm consent (whether it be from drugs, alcohol, a medical condition/emergency, or something else) then it is rape. Period.

jubguy3 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:

Amen. The toxic attitudes here are horrible. "How do we know that she was raped?" She is suing, that's something the courts will figure out. I would be terrified to report sexual assault if people talked about it like I was automatically a false reporter. Kudos to her for taking a stand against sexual assault. And guess what, if it's a false report, the courts will figure that out too. Somebody is at fault here, and the victim blaming seems to be the issue. If it's a false report it's a false report, but people love to jump on any report with "How do we know she isn't lying" as if they care about the rape itself less.

I think what some posters are cautioning about is that in some cases there are women that have revoked their consent after consensual sex and then describe it as a rape. While they are only a minority of all these reports and most rape reports should be legitimate together with many unreported cases, it is also understandable that why it would be desirable to wait for further evidence to appear before issuing condemnation

Jayafe

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:27 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
VSMUT wrote:
Disgusting pig

Agree, but that’s not a nice way of talking about a lady :)
Are you a judge no prove accusations with 0 evidence so far?

sixtyseven

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:30 pm

#metoo hits the airlines.

Only a matter of time.

bagoldex

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Condemning the victim is so last year, old man.

Looking at the comments here, I can't help but think that most of you gents would take the opportunity to drug and rape a woman if you thought you could get away with it.
Last edited by bagoldex on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:34 pm

Polot wrote:

Where's the proof that she even had sex (consensual or not)? Should we just take her at her word?

I want to see forensic and scientific proof.

lostsound

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Whiplash6 wrote:

One year later:

*Ruins man’s career.

Or

One year later:

Finally brave enough to admit she was raped and is ready to speak out against her rapist, regardless of the backlash from mansplainers who say shit like what you've said.

It's not impossible for her to be lying, but sadly it's unlikely.

Tugger

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Noise wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Noise wrote:

In cases like these, particularly sexual assault cases, proof matters a lot! We're talking about someone's life and career here. If we're going to pass judgement on him, we better see some sort of forensic or scientific proof.

Sorry but that is not needed.

The reality here is that by filing the suit and the publicity, if this actually did happen then the captain likely used this tactic before and since. So this will bring out others if it did happen. And once/if other women (co-pilots or not) do come forward with a similar story this guy is as good as dead.

And I do tend to actually believe the co-pilot filing the suit as this is not something people do on the offhand chance they'll win.

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Tugger wrote:
Noise wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Sorry but that is not needed.

The reality here is that by filing the suit and the publicity, if this actually did happen then the captain likely used this tactic before and since. So this will bring out others if it did happen. And once/if other women (co-pilots or not) do come forward with a similar story this guy is as good as dead.

True, I agree with your point here.

spinotter

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Noise wrote:

I'm going to posit a different set of circumstances. She and he have a nice dinner with plenty of wine, they are looking at each other like they are just recognizing something, he asks her to come back to his room, she wants nothing better, and items fall into line. A fragile self-image later prompts her to say that it was his fault and not hers. That is the most probable hypothesis, and I hope the judge and jury give it its proper weight.

Tugger

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 pm

spinotter wrote:
I hope the judge and jury give it its proper weight.

Which, since you just made it up and posted what you imagined, is what exactly?

Tugg

Revelation

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 pm

spinotter wrote:
I'm going to posit a different set of circumstances. She and he have a nice dinner with plenty of wine, they are looking at each other like they are just recognizing something, he asks her to come back to his room, she wants nothing better, and items fall into line. A fragile self-image later prompts her to say that it was his fault and not hers. That is the most probable hypothesis, and I hope the judge and jury give it its proper weight.

Yes, because ex-military pilots who've served in Afghanistan and who have been hired as a pilot at an airline like Alaska Airlines are known for fragile self-images... :shakehead:

Give it a rest...

wowlookplanes

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Whole lotta misogyny here......

spinotter

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Jamake1 wrote:

No. You can see that we all have a healthy level of skepticism about some woman who claims she was raped. Did she go into his room willingly? Then if so, what did she expect? How many times and with how many partners had she had sex before? All of these questions are valid and I hope the court will entertain them.

NIKV69

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:12 pm

I am not understanding the time lapse here. This happened months ago. If she felt she was raped why not call 911 that morning and have him arrested?

wowlookplanes

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:13 pm

spinotter wrote:
Jamake1 wrote:

No. You can see that we all have a healthy level of skepticism about some woman who claims she was raped. Did she go into his room willingly? Then if so, what did she expect? How many times and with how many partners had she had sex before? All of these questions are valid and I hope the court will entertain them.

"What did she expect?" In your world agreeing to go to a guy's room is all the consent he needs? Antiquated, spinotter....those are ice age views....

I think you forgot to add, "What was she wearing?", "How much makeup did she have on?" and "Did she look at him in a suggestive manner?" to your list of valid questions...

Whiplash6

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 pm

lostsound wrote:
Whiplash6 wrote:

One year later:

*Ruins man’s career.

Or

One year later:

Finally brave enough to admit she was raped and is ready to speak out against her rapist, regardless of the backlash from mansplainers who say shit like what you've said.

It's not impossible for her to be lying, but sadly it's unlikely.

Triggered into being the first person on airliners.net to use the word ‘mansplain’... Incredible.

Tugger

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Why do some people here think women just make up accusations? Why do they a woman is more apt to character assassination than an man is to drugging a women for some easy sex?

The is a life changing course for a woman to take. It can ruin her life, open her up to ad hominem attacks, and expose anything and everything she has ever done in her life.

I am sad to say but I do think a vast majority of women are telling the truth if they are willing to open themselves up to such things. These aren't fame junkies or gold diggers, nothing like that.

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BartSimpson

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Noise wrote:
Polot wrote:

Where's the proof that she even had sex (consensual or not)? Should we just take her at her word?

I want to see forensic and scientific proof.

You have no right to see anything of it. She does not have to convince you (or anybody else) outside the courtroom.

If her story is true, then she just gets raped again at this moment. In full public.

usflyer msp

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 pm

bagoldex wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Condemning the victim is so last year, old man.

Looking at the comments here, I can't help but think that most of you gents would take the opportunity to drug and rape a woman if you thought you could get away with it.

Nonsense like this is why people don't take feminists seriously. At no point did I condemn the victim, all I suggested is that she is suing the incorrect entity.

Alaska gives her her own hotel room and allows here to dine with whomever she would like - the fact that she choose the captain and it did not end well is not Alaska's fault.

She should be pressing charges and/or suing the pilot civilly...

I am not even going to address the ridiculousness of your last sentence...
Last edited by usflyer msp on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Tugger wrote:
Why do some people here think women just make up accusations?

Because it happens more often than it should. Once it too often.

BartSimpson

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:23 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I am not understanding the time lapse here. This happened months ago. If she felt she was raped why not call 911 that morning and have him arrested?

I take it that you have never been raped and felt that shame. (Me neither.) You possibly can't even imagine what that means. This is not some petty theft.

spinotter

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:25 pm

wowlookplanes wrote:
Whole lotta misogyny here......

No, not true. Only knowledge of what we all as human beings are, how fragile our self-images, how needy our affective and physical needs are. I have been wherever she was that night. Did I really do so wrong? Did he do so wrong? Come on, people, drop your politically correct attitudes and imagine yourself in the same situation.

spinotter

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I take it that you have never been raped and felt that shame. (Me neither.) You possibly can't even imagine what that means. This is not some petty theft.

We mammals are need sex. Only Homo sapiens repents.

Tugger

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Noise wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Why do some people here think women just make up accusations?

Because it happens more often than it should. Once it too often.

And drugging people to have sex with them? You can say the exact same thing about that. So why does it get excused?

We all know for a fact that it has happened and that shockingly it happens/happened more often than anyone would think. (Because most "normal people" think "Who would do that? No way can I imagine doing something like that.")

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.