Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

salttee

Re: Death penalty for drug dealers?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:55 am

Channex757 wrote:
in the end and he managed to rebuild his life.

More lives have been destroyed by police (and others) enforcing drug laws than ever have been destroyed by drugs themselves.

apodino

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 am

The Death Penalty is never right period. I pray for the day that the Death Penalty is completely done away with in the this country. In my opinion its Cruel and Unusual and violates the constitution.

WarRI1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 am

WIederling wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
... When you have a substance as deadly as Fentynal which has just sickened first responders, fireman and police here and can be fatal just coming into contact with ...

It is "Fentanyl".

Aren't we going a bit over the top a here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentanyl

It is interesting to watch that one substance abuse after another is paraded as the next "ultimate killer" substance.
Get a grip on the proportions ( like comparing to the prevalence of gun death )!
( if you can't show a tenfold deathrate the stuff must be harmless :-)

I guess one might call it misspelled, or it might be a typo. After looking it up and reading about Fentanyl and Fentanil before typing I would call it a typo.

WarRI1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
When you sell a substance knowingly and are aware it is deadly, you deserve to be charged with murder, not Manslaughter. That is being considered in R. I. this session of the legislature. I agree , murder it is.

You mean "possibly" deadly?

As drinking alcohol? Or driving cars? Or smoking cigarettes? Or owning guns. ;)

Ok, let's be consequent then. Or, we agree that undertaking "risky" things is a part of life and ultimately a question of own responsibility. Let people smoke weed if they like it, they are allowed to drink freely after all as well. Let people do cocain if they feel like it. It's their lives, their health and the effect on society neglectable. In stark contrast to guns, btw...

Everyone who wants to do drugs does it anyway, legal or not!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opioids-dr ... etnam-war/

I think we have entered the deadly phase myself, see link.

Francoflier

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:27 am

Other than assuaging the beliefs of those who think that more punishment is always the answer to every single of society's problems, this would do little but probably increase the price of drugs and the general violence associated with its traffic.

In the US, the main cause of drug addiction are drugs sold in pharmacies, not those that come from across the border and which are sold in the street.
If you are looking for culprits to punish, then you should look at the pharma industry which profits immensely from opioid-laced drug addiction. But since most politicians are fed by their lobbies, nothing will ever be done to curtail this. The Pharma Bro case, even if not related to this kind of drug, shines a revealing light on the preferential treatment these companies get:
No matter how much they prey on Americans, they will always get away with it.

The current government then adds insult to injury by cutting funds to pretty much every social program destined to help the people affected by drug addiction.
As long as the US is run by corporate lobbies and money, nothing will change.

But sure, keep going after the small guy in the street... that has worked so well before.

WIederling

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 am

WarRI1 wrote:
I guess one might call it misspelled, or it might be a typo. After looking it up and reading about Fentanyl and Fentanil before typing I would call it a typo.

you are deflecting from my main concern: Overreaction.

WIederling

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 am

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opioids-drug-overdose-killed-more-americans-last-year-than-the-vietnam-war/

cite:
This is consistent with research suggesting that many people who become addicted to prescription painkillers often move on to heroin or synthetic opioids when it becomes too difficult to or expensive to keep obtaining prescription pills.

Why do so many people ( beyond one Dr. House ) need strong painkiller in large doses?
Morphine ( the natural original ) used to be the medication of last recourse.
Addiction no issue the patient would be dead soon anyway.

So why does a society with great preventive/curative medical resources feel the need to soak in painkiller for some "uncurable" pain source?

c933103

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 am

BartSimpson wrote:
c933103 wrote:
In most part of Asia, consumption of drug including everything from Marijuana and on are considered allroundedly unacceptable in all circumstances[, that, in some situation, because of profound effect they have on the society, could be seen as even worse than murder,] and that's why many societies support enforcing heavy punishment on drug users and also why there are still fare number of support on Duterte even after thousands have been killed. But I don't think it is a view that would be shared by American population?

This is also a view that is not shared by non-Americans.

How many of the thousands that have been killed by the Duterte death quads have received a trial first (let alone a proper one) - how many were innocent victims?

I mean the principle not the actual execution

stratosphere

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:36 pm

apodino wrote:
The Death Penalty is never right period. I pray for the day that the Death Penalty is completely done away with in the this country. In my opinion its Cruel and Unusual and violates the constitution.

I really have mixed feelings about it. The main reason I wouldn't support it is because our justice system has gotten it wrong. How many people have been exonerated of crimes after DNA has proven them innocent? It's more then a few over the decades. But that said with DNA technology now at hand we can accurately put someone at the scene of a crime. I was watching the show death row stories with Susan Sarandon narrating they showcased the botched execution of Clayton Lockett in Oklahoma now that dude is a poster child for the death penalty if I ever saw one. He kidnapped, raped, shot and buried alive a girl just out of HS and after all the evidence against him he explained in detail what he did. Now in that case he deserved everything he got even though they botched it the guy died of a heart attack during the procedure so he's gone and good riddance. I do not believe the death penalty should be applied in circumstantial cases like the Scott Peterson case in California even though I believe it did it. Or in the case like the Georgia woman who was executed for a murder for hire but she didn't actually do the killing. In those cases life in prison I would be ok with. But some people are just pure evil like Gacy and Bundy they deserved to fry.

WarRI1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:20 pm

WIederling wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

No, you miss my point, no deflection, just a reaction to the childish habit of some on here pointing out a spelling error or a grammatical error by myself or anyone else. Grow up.

WarRI1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 pm

WIederling wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opioids-drug-overdose-killed-more-americans-last-year-than-the-vietnam-war/

cite:
This is consistent with research suggesting that many people who become addicted to prescription painkillers often move on to heroin or synthetic opioids when it becomes too difficult to or expensive to keep obtaining prescription pills.

Why do so many people ( beyond one Dr. House ) need strong painkiller in large doses?

So why does a society with great preventive/curative medical resources feel the need to soak in painkiller for some "uncurable" pain source?

Now that is a great question,, I wish I knew, I do know we as a society are becoming a nation of weaklings, controlled by corporations which just happen to also control our healthcare system. What is the corporations main function? Surprise, surprise, to make a profit of course. As was mentioned on here, just look at the Tobacco Industry. This Fentanyl disaster is an example.

apodino

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:39 pm

stratosphere wrote:
apodino wrote:

I really have mixed feelings about it. The main reason I wouldn't support it is because our justice system has gotten it wrong. How many people have been exonerated of crimes after DNA has proven them innocent? It's more then a few over the decades. But that said with DNA technology now at hand we can accurately put someone at the scene of a crime. I was watching the show death row stories with Susan Sarandon narrating they showcased the botched execution of Clayton Lockett in Oklahoma now that dude is a poster child for the death penalty if I ever saw one. He kidnapped, raped, shot and buried alive a girl just out of HS and after all the evidence against him he explained in detail what he did. Now in that case he deserved everything he got even though they botched it the guy died of a heart attack during the procedure so he's gone and good riddance. I do not believe the death penalty should be applied in circumstantial cases like the Scott Peterson case in California even though I believe it did it. Or in the case like the Georgia woman who was executed for a murder for hire but she didn't actually do the killing. In those cases life in prison I would be ok with. But some people are just pure evil like Gacy and Bundy they deserved to fry.

Exactly. If you get a chance, read the Grisham novel "The Confession" sometime. The book was about a man put to death for a murder he didn't commit and the conviction was based on a coerced confession and when this was discovered the Governor still refused to pardon the guy.

WIederling

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
WIederling wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

No, you miss my point, no deflection, just a reaction to the childish habit of some on here pointing out a spelling error or a grammatical error by myself or anyone else. Grow up.

You may think about rebooting your attention span and continue reading.
The spelling error fits perfectly to your stance on the topic.

"Grow Up"
My wife says that I am more "grown up" than is good for me ( a Stone or two less ... :-)

CCGPV

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:19 pm

WIederling wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

cite:

Because they work and they make you feel good.

Nobody talks about it openly but part of the reason they are so popular is because they fuck you up. They are prescribed by a doctor and that means they are OK to take.

tommy1808

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:52 pm

stratosphere wrote:
. But that said with DNA technology now at hand we can accurately put someone at the scene of a crime.

But not at the time of the crime. Your DNA can probably be found in many places you have been in your life and may last hundrets of years. The oldest we have is about half a million years old.
There are more options to leave DNA behind than fingerprints, but it is not better in any meaningful way. It is also very easy to plant other peoples DNA.

Capital punishment isn't self defense, therefore it is murder. Murder can't be legalized by law.

Best regards
Thomas

bagoldex
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:01 pm

apodino wrote:

Yet the action that has a verifiable outcome is your support for Republican politicians and policies. Keep up the prayer though. It's doing a helluva job ... just ask those kids who are starving and dying of AIDS in Africa.

WIederling

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm

CCGPV wrote:

I always understood that life in the US was so very good for everybody ( the best ever globally actually ) that that would suffice for endless elation.

CCGPV

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm

WIederling wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

I always understood that life in the US was so very good for everybody ( the best ever globally actually ) that that would suffice for endless elation.

Sarcasm aside it can be a real issue for a lot of people. Combine that with the social stigma of addiction and you have a real problem.

There have been deaths at all income, education, and societal levels. Its awful.

Bostrom

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I don’t see it like that, the Norwegian system is based on rehabilitation, if he’s not released then the system has failed, nobody has ever not been released, even Arnfinn Nesset was released early, he only served 12 years of a 21 year sentence for killing 22 people, he was suspected to have killed 138 people.

True, but there is a difference. Nesset was sentenced to prison, Breivik has been sentenced to forvaring.

Kiwirob

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Forvaring didn’t exist when Nesset was convicted, however preventative detention still doesn’t mean he will be there for the rest of his life. I can see being freed one day, that’s the goal of the Norwegian system.

WarRI1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:03 pm

CCGPV wrote:
WIederling wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Sarcasm aside it can be a real issue for a lot of people. Combine that with the social stigma of addiction and you have a real problem.

There have been deaths at all income, education, and societal levels. Its awful.

I agree, not to be joked about, it is awful as you said, nobody, no family is immune to this scourge. All across society, every level. I have seen it first hand, I have been affected by it first hand. Thank goodness not in my family.

seb146

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:32 am

stratosphere wrote:
How many people have been exonerated of crimes after DNA has proven them innocent? It's more then a few over the decades. But that said with DNA technology now at hand we can accurately put someone at the scene of a crime.

How many times have you clipped your fingernails at Starbucks or ran your fingers through your hair? Your DNA ends up where those things drop.

I am against the death penalty because there are those who are innocent and there are those who deserve to relive that moment for the rest of their lives. Decades. That is punishment. That they took away someone's life. Someone's family.

RetroRoo

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Barbarism. The fact that countries like the United States, Japan, and Taiwan practice capital punishment is a blight on them.