einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Shopping preferences

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:16 pm

How do you do most of your shopping? Do you go to local stores or big name brands? Shop online or shop at bricks-and-mortar stores?

Do you have any qualms about shopping the way you do?

I gotta say, I'm about half and half, but slowly making my way to online shopping. Two main reasons:
1. Lower prices overall
2. Not having to deal with people.

The only reason I still shop at your regular store is the need to have items immediately. Groceries and quick items are bought at the store (I still don't have grocery delivery and I like doing my own shopping as well). But for other things, Amazon is my go to place.

I've also had a couple of "support local businesses" discussions, but frankly, if a local store hasn't found (or has lost) its niche, nothing will save it. I go to a local café for breakfast every day. Lately, it seems the owner is all over the place and what used to be kind of a tavern-style coffee shop has now turned into a hipster community center with activities held every week and everything going organic. How can I be expected to continue to support such a place if its lost its style?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

vikkyvik

Re: Shopping preferences

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:30 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
How can I be expected to continue to support such a place if its lost its style?

Because if the food/coffee is good, then the food/coffee is good, and that can trump style.

You're not expected to support such a place - do what you want. But sounds like that place is just finding a different niche.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

fr8mech

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Food and clothing are always in person. I need to see the food, and touch and feel the clothing.

Everything else? Really depends on what I’m buying, whether I’ve already bought it before, price, delivery time, “instant gratification gene satisfaction need”, etc.

There are a few other considerations depending on product. There’s a local hardware store I use if I need a little expertise vs. the Lowe’s when I know what I want and know how to do it.

Coffee? I don’t really see the difference between Starbucks and my “locally owned” chain store...so that comes down to continence and the fact that I accrue points on Starbucks purchases.

Restaurants, I try non-chain restaurants as much as possible.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
How can I be expected to continue to support such a place if its lost its style?

Because if the food/coffee is good, then the food/coffee is good, and that can trump style.

You're not expected to support such a place - do what you want. But sounds like that place is just finding a different niche.

Oh don't get me wrong. Their sandwiches and coffee are good. But being in a small town, there are a lot of independent stores and then there are the big name brands slowly making their way here. I'm just putting out the argument of being guilted into not going to big name brands. It was the same thing that happened when I lived in PR: local businesses would go bankrupt because your local WalMart had everything you wanted and more. Certain places still thrive, though. The bread bakeries that also sell a cup of coffee for 50 cents will always retain a loyal following that does not understand buying the same amount of coffee for about $3 from Starbucks or trendy shops.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

WarRI1

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:08 am

We shop in person, 99.9% of the time. I try to support local stores even if they are a large chain, also I have plenty of time to do so.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

VapourTrails

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:19 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
How do you do most of your shopping? Do you go to local stores or big name brands? Shop online or shop at bricks-and-mortar stores?

Do you have any qualms about shopping the way you do?

I gotta say, I'm about half and half, but slowly making my way to online shopping. Two main reasons:
1. Lower prices overall
2. Not having to deal with people.

I do both. I buy food online or in store. This comes down to time and convenience really. Yeah, sometimes I don’t want to be around people, or I am too tired to walk around a store, through a shopping centre, park.. often I will have a list of multiple places to go on one visit so going to shop at stores makes it worthwile.

I like the practice of ordering food online for the week while on holiday and then collecting it when I arrive back home.

I like and do sometimes support local businesses when it comes to things like speciality stores or renovating the home. Often though I still will go wherever the price is reasonable and the store that has what I want, regardless of who it is.

I like variety in routine, so sometimes just for the sake of it I will route between supermarkets each week alternating.

I only buy clothes online if it is things like socks e.g. stuff that I know will fit and I don’t need to try on etc.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:47 am

i use google express. never pay for shipping/ i usually get my order in a day or two. i buy a lot of refillable s from Costco and Walmart Amazon rarely. only because their shipping takes longer.

i bought a ping pong table online at offer up never used them before, was like new. saved me about 400.00

apodino

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:50 am

WarRI1 wrote:
We shop in person, 99.9% of the time. I try to support local stores even if they are a large chain, also I have plenty of time to do so.

I do too. I know a lot of people like Amazon for convenience and stuff. Here is my take. Income inequality is a big problem. When you give business to companies like Amazon that are giants, it only gives the big guys more money, who then funnel it to the wealthy adding to the problem. The way to fight it is to shop the little guy. The small business owner locally. This is something we must do, because politicians wont do anything about it themselves.

Jouhou

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:24 am

I buy most things at local shops. I drive to a large grocery store once every 1-2 weeks. I eat a lot of food from local restaurants, I have a ton of stuff within walking distance to enjoy. So I mostly avoid driving and online shopping for my needs.

Airstud

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:09 am

Groceries & hygiene supplies I always buy at real stores (Byerly's, Whole Foods, Target or Cub for the former; Target or CVS for the latter).

Amazon for nearly everything else, unless it's style or décor-related, in which case I will buy or order from a specialty store (Banana Republic, Crate&Barrel, etc)
Pancakes are delicious.

1337Delta764

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Lately Amazon has been getting most of my IZOD shirts in Fairy Tale pink for Spring 2018. However, when I do buy from JCPenney and Kohl's, I typically buy them online if there is a specific style that I really like that I can't find in store locally, usually doing ship to store in the case of JCPenney. The only Fairy Tale pink shirts that I bought from JCPenney and Kohl's from the Spring 2018 collection were the two variations of the solid Advantage Polo. I sometimes buy online from Macy's, Belk, and Bealls Florida as well.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Aesma

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 pm

einsteinboricua : have you considered that being hipster/whatever might be better for business than what it was before ?

My local stores are pretty much all big brands so I'm not helping the little guy anyway, unless I go for alternative means to get food, which I'm planning to do : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community ... griculture

For "expensive" items I've pretty much never used a store, I was already buying on the internet in the early 2000s when I was a teen.

I don't like shopping in stores, it's not the people, I don't mind if attendance is reasonable, but it feels like a big waste of time.

Since last year I can get groceries delivered at my workplace for free (with a discount, even) so I've also taken advantage of that. Delivering at my house wouldn't really work, I'm not ready to have someone enter when I'm not there.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

kellyon

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:20 am

I like online shopping. It's much more convy and helps to save my time. I'm a regular customer on Amazon and eBay. Only once I had some issue with the delivery service, but it was my fault, I wrote the wrong postal code and my parcel was lost. Now I use lookup on https://worldpostalcode.com/ to check the right postal code and don't have any issues at all. I think online stores are perfect solution for those who hate going shopping.

seahawk

Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am

Amazon wins for me. Because you got more choice and to be honest better information to make a decision. Even for clothing, it is much easier to pick you size, the colour you need and then 100% cotton and then go through the list of available options at Amazon than doing the same at a store. Especially as Amazon often has a better customer service than many local stores. Shirt lost colour after washing it before wearing - Amazon: No Problem, sent it back and we will refund. Local Store: You washed it, your fault.

I still prefer a small number of local shops (camera gear for example) with great customer service, but the number is shrinking.

1337Delta764

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:03 pm

I actually recently bought a short sleeve button down IZOD CoolFX shirt in Fairy Tale from Stein Mart. Interestingly I can't find it anywhere else. It has been a while since I bought a new short sleeve button down.

Revelation

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 pm

I've been an Amazon shopper since 1995 and was a catalog shopper since long before that.

I have long arms so pretty much any off-the-rack long sleeve shirt isn't going to work for me.

Short sleeve shirts and all pants can be bought at stores, but most of the time those too are bought on-line.

Except, I do a "binge shopping" trip to a local "premium outlet" mall every year or so. For instance, I can buy decent polo shirts for $15-$20 at the outlet that are $50 or more online. Since they're cheap I buy a bunch and the trip pays for itself.

In the old days Amazon's web site was far better than the average web site for the typical brick and mortar brands, which were terrible.

Now I find I prefer many of the old brand's web sites.

Amazon is so scattered and hit-or-miss, at least for the kind of clothes I favor.

If I can go to the web site of a brand I know and trust and if their web site allows me to find what I need easily and they don't charge extortion prices, I will buy from them.

In the past this was never true, but now it seems Amazon is forcing them to improve their web sites and improve their pricing.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

1337Delta764

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:07 am

Revelation wrote:
I've been an Amazon shopper since 1995 and was a catalog shopper since long before that.

I have long arms so pretty much any off-the-rack long sleeve shirt isn't going to work for me.

Short sleeve shirts and all pants can be bought at stores, but most of the time those too are bought on-line.

Except, I do a "binge shopping" trip to a local "premium outlet" mall every year or so. For instance, I can buy decent polo shirts for $15-$20 at the outlet that are $50 or more online. Since they're cheap I buy a bunch and the trip pays for itself.

In the old days Amazon's web site was far better than the average web site for the typical brick and mortar brands, which were terrible.

Now I find I prefer many of the old brand's web sites.

Amazon is so scattered and hit-or-miss, at least for the kind of clothes I favor.

If I can go to the web site of a brand I know and trust and if their web site allows me to find what I need easily and they don't charge extortion prices, I will buy from them.

In the past this was never true, but now it seems Amazon is forcing them to improve their web sites and improve their pricing.

Just a little reminder about the outlets - the clothing may not be exactly the same items as at department stores or on Amazon. I noticed when I was at the Van Heusen/IZOD outlet that the IZOD shirts had different inner tag markings and the removable factory tags did not have the color name on them.

seb146

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:35 am

Groceries I have to go to a physical store. Shoes, too. Office supplies and radios and household items like plates and pitchers and microwave ovens I buy online.

We left the land of "we can just run across town to that other store to get that" and now live in the land of "well, we are going to a bigger town in two weeks, so we can wait." I hate it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Revelation

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:20 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
Just a little reminder about the outlets - the clothing may not be exactly the same items as at department stores or on Amazon. I noticed when I was at the Van Heusen/IZOD outlet that the IZOD shirts had different inner tag markings and the removable factory tags did not have the color name on them.

I think you can be confident that they largely aren't the same products in the department stores.

There are some brands I know because I get their new catalogs and the new stuff is not the stuff you find at the outlets.

I don't follow Van Heusen/IZOD so I'll gladly defer to you on that, but I did buy some shirts there that are quite acceptable to me.

I mostly wear them to work, and I'm definitely over-dressed compared to my colleges, even wearing last season's stuff.

seb146 wrote:
Groceries I have to go to a physical store. Shoes, too. Office supplies and radios and household items like plates and pitchers and microwave ovens I buy online.

We left the land of "we can just run across town to that other store to get that" and now live in the land of "well, we are going to a bigger town in two weeks, so we can wait." I hate it.

Funny thing is I live in a regional retail hub ( New Hamshire town with no sales tax that borders with Taxachusetts ) and when I moved here, having access to all the retail was a big draw.

Now it's largely irrelevant to me and many other people too.

Sure, some times it really helps to have so much shopping so close, but most of the time it's just irrelevant.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

seb146

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:49 am

Revelation wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Funny thing is I live in a regional retail hub ( New Hamshire town with no sales tax that borders with Taxachusetts ) and when I moved here, having access to all the retail was a big draw.

Now it's largely irrelevant to me and many other people too.

Sure, some times it really helps to have so much shopping so close, but most of the time it's just irrelevant.

I don't NEED to shop at Whole Foods or Target or Macy's but I like the idea of having them close. When we lived in STS, I would wander through Target and Macy's all the time and come out with nothing. We don't have that choice here (OTH) and it drives me nuts! Usually, Ross is good for choice, but this one is terrible. Anyone want to buy a house near the ocean? It is out of tsunami zone and has tons of charm! LOL
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Channex757

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 am

Our local Amazon delivery service for Amazon Prime Now is getting pretty decent. They are partnered up with a major supermarket (Morrisons) and a boutique smaller chain (Booths), as well as supplying the big brands and a wide range of other Amazon merchandise. Spend more than £40 and it's delivered free within two hours.

That's a compelling offer! Last week I ordered a cellphone and a load of grocery items at 5pm, they arrived in the 6pm-8pm timeslot as promised. Clicking another button on the page takes me to the Morrisons at Amazon site. Different warehouse/store but the same delivery offer. Morrisons seem to be running a storefront through Amazon Prime Now.

There is a bit of a price premium to consider on some stuff but as a rule the merchandise is well priced and there are even bargains to be had. My cat eats well as her faourite catfood is consistently the cheapest on Amazon and delivered to the door the same day.