Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Trump and Kim Jong-un to meet in historic summit

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:31 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43339901

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/us/p ... v=top-news

Wow. This could be a HUGE diplomatic victory for Trump.

I gotta give him credit here. His threatening tactics toward North Korea seemed to have paid off.
Last edited by alberchico on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarRI1

Re: Trump and Kim Jong-un to meet in historic summit

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:39 am

I wish him luck with this madman, what rational person would not?

TWA772LR

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:45 am

Damn! You beat me by like 3 minutes!

I don't agree with Trump on a lot of things, but I do love his madman tactic with NK.

c933103

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:52 am

Let's see would Kim keep up with those beautiful words after meeting

alberchico
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:54 am

So I'm guessing Trump will visit North Korea for his meeting with Kim. I seriously doubt Kim will risk a visit to the South. Will his visit look like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3H9X-Yl2k

CaliAtenza

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:07 am

Maybe NK can keep him there.....

notaxonrotax

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:48 am

Will never happen. There are 10.000 reasons I can think of why either of the two will get cheesed off by the other side and therefore retaliates by canceling this charade meeting.

They have an unstable preteen-level subnormal in the white house that throws his toys out of his golden pram at the best of days.
On the other side of the ring (should I say playpen?) we have an unpredictable character with a dark agenda....somehow I can't see the day coming where both will be forced to respect so many mutual rules & protocols to make this happen.

Mind you, this plan makes reuniting the Spice Girls and their subsequent egos look easy!

No Tax On Rotax

MaverickM11

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:52 am

WarRI1 wrote:

You're gonna have to narrow down which madman you're referring to :rotfl:

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:09 am

A kid meeting another kid...what could possibly go wrong?

Let's see what comes out of it. I mean, credit where credit is due: the fact that talks are on the table is substantial. Now, will they proceed or will either side back out?

Curious: why are we willing to sit down with North Korea but not Iran?

727LOVER

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:09 am

WarRI1 wrote:

LOL...I don't know which one you're talking about !

salttee

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:12 am

excess
Last edited by salttee on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

salttee

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:14 am

salttee wrote:
notaxonrotax wrote:
Will never happen.
:checkmark: Ding
It's hard to forget the fate of Roman Emperor Valerian, who became a footstool for the Persian Emperor.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Curious: why are we willing to sit down with North Korea but not Iran?

Because it's Israel that calls the shots in our tiff with Iran.[/quote]

Ken777

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 am

alberchico wrote:

I doubt that this will have any long term success for the US.

Trump, believing that he is going there as Negotiator The Great, and will get bent out of shape when Kim plays him like a cheap fiddle. Trump will probably act like a 15 year old with an unlimited credit card being let loose in a whorehouse.

Maybe Trump will start yelling at Kim, who will then pull out his (legal) handgun and shoots Trump between the eyes. What the hell will South Korea do? Nuttin. What the hell would the US do? The New President Pence will look at his new office and figure he needs time to get on top of the situation. Nuttin there either.

At least it might be interesting to watch.

Dutchy

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:54 am

WarRI1 wrote:

Indeed, good luck Kim!

Jouhou

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 am

They intend to exchange fashion advice.

Aesma

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:26 am

I don't see where exactly would be the victory, usually it's the US that shuns people it doesn't like, not the other way around. For example Obama going to Cuba was seen as a victory for Cuba, not for the US. Or the famous (in the US) Nixon visit to China.

NIKV69

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 am

NK has figured out they have someone in the white house who has no qualms about blowing them up and now is in a spot. This is a propaganda move and no matter what is discussed the sanctions have to be kept up and NK needs to be watched closely until the people overthrow the government.

tommy1808

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:25 am

alberchico wrote:

Actually it is a big loss for Trump. NK tried to get that sort of eye level acceptance for decades and no US president so far was stupid enough to give it to them. Then Trump came along...

Must be great for South Korea, where Trump hasn´t gotten around to appoint an Ambassador yet, to see such a high level Meeting happening with the other side.

best regards
Thomas

DIRECTFLT

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 am

alberchico wrote:
So I'm guessing Trump will visit North Korea for his meeting with Kim. I seriously doubt Kim will risk a visit to the South.

Oh, come on!! He'll have Rocket Man over to Mar-a-Lago for the weekend.
Having Stormy tuck him in will seal the deal.

Arion640

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:58 am

Ken777 wrote:
alberchico wrote:

I doubt that this will have any long term success for the US.

Trump, believing that he is going there as Negotiator The Great, and will get bent out of shape when Kim plays him like a cheap fiddle. Trump will probably act like a 15 year old with an unlimited credit card being let loose in a whorehouse.

Maybe Trump will start yelling at Kim, who will then pull out his (legal) handgun and shoots Trump between the eyes. What the hell will South Korea do? Nuttin. What the hell would the US do? The New President Pence will look at his new office and figure he needs time to get on top of the situation. Nuttin there either.

At least it might be interesting to watch.

What on earth? Are you on drugs?

c933103

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 am

notaxonrotax wrote:
Will never happen. There are 10.000 reasons I can think of why either of the two will get cheesed off by the other side and therefore retaliates by canceling this charade meeting.

They have an unstable preteen-level subnormal in the white house that throws his toys out of his golden pram at the best of days.
On the other side of the ring (should I say playpen?) we have an unpredictable character with a dark agenda....somehow I can't see the day coming where both will be forced to respect so many mutual rules & protocols to make this happen.

Mind you, this plan makes reuniting the Spice Girls and their subsequent egos look easy!

No Tax On Rotax

That could also be exactly why it would work

c933103

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 am

tommy1808 wrote:
alberchico wrote:

Actually it is a big loss for Trump. NK tried to get that sort of eye level acceptance for decades and no US president so far was stupid enough to give it to them. Then Trump came along...

Must be great for South Korea, where Trump hasn´t gotten around to appoint an Ambassador yet, to see such a high level Meeting happening with the other side.

best regards
Thomas

North Korea haven't previously give out this sort of promises before. Now the question is will they actually follow what they said, but that would be another question

Dahlgardo

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:39 am

The leader of DPRK has no other agenda than to stay in power, so he'll do whatever he thinks promotes his case.
This is just a game for him. Nothing will change because of this meeting.

Like China and Russia, DPRK don't give a f@ck about the international law, EU, the UN, human rights or whatever and they'll just continue doing their thing. And they can.

tommy1808

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:55 am

Dahlgardo wrote:
DPRK don't give a f@ck about the international law

to be fair, the rest of the world doesn´t care much either. As per NPT NK has the right to have nukes, the rest of the world just pretends that wasn´t so.

best regards
Thomas

bennett123

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:39 am

North Korea has two alternative insurance policies.

1. Nuclear weapons.

2. Security guarantee from Donald Trump.

Which would you choose?.

Redd

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 am

Can't wait to see the handshake.

keesje

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 am

Maybe they can have fruitcake together.

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:09 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
As per NPT NK has the right to have nukes, the rest of the world just pretends that wasn´t so.

If by nukes you mean nuclear technology, yes. NPT=Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty=no development of nuclear weapons.

However, NK withdrew from the treaty so any legal rights and protections it could use as arguments before the UN were thrown out the window. Iran has a better case.

tommy1808

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:37 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
As per NPT NK has the right to have nukes, the rest of the world just pretends that wasn´t so.

If by nukes you mean nuclear technology, yes. NPT=Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty=no development of nuclear weapons.

However, NK withdrew from the treaty so any legal rights and protections it could use as arguments before the UN were thrown out the window. Iran has a better case.

Nah, the other way around. Every country has the right to withdraw and in doing so get the right back to develop and field nuclear weapons. Otherwise no country would have signed.

Article X

1. Each Party shall in exercising its national sovereignty have the right to withdraw from the Treaty if it decides that extraordinary events, related to the subject matter of this Treaty, have jeopardized the supreme interests of its country. It shall give notice of such withdrawal to all other Parties to the Treaty and to the United Nations Security Council three months in advance. Such notice shall include a statement of the extraordinary events it regards as having jeopardized its supreme interests.

best regards
Thomas

scbriml

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:08 pm

If it actually happens, this will be a meeting of the World's greatest haircuts.

787Driver

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:59 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Damn! You beat me by like 3 minutes!

I don't agree with Trump on a lot of things, but I do love his madman tactic with NK.

It's not a tactic. That's how he is..

But strangely, maybe the two are so similar in personality that they might make significant progress in US-NK relations. It's going to be an extreme outcome either way.

mad99

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
If it actually happens, this will be a meeting of the World's greatest haircuts.

This is what i was thinking.
What if trump got his hair cut the same way..he could wear that red hat so no one could see it then remove it as he enters the room. Boom!

ER757

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:17 pm

While I am firmly NOT a Trump fan, if this meeting takes place and if both of these overgrown children can remain civil towards one another and get something accomplished, I will be first in line to offer my congrats to the POTUS. I'll already give him props for agreeing to this meeting. Now, maybe if this works out he might consider talking to Iran. Imagine if after all is said and done, he brings together the US with the two nations we've been feuding with for decades. I'd have to re-think my opinion on the man.

notaxonrotax

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm

notaxonrotax wrote:

No Tax On Rotax

What a surprise! The first wheel has come off the train:

https://www.google.es/amp/s/amp.cnn.com ... index.html

More wheels to come (off), surely.

No Tax On Rotax

787Driver

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm

notaxonrotax wrote:
notaxonrotax wrote:

No Tax On Rotax

What a surprise! The first wheel has come off the train:

https://www.google.es/amp/s/amp.cnn.com ... index.html

More wheels to come (off), surely.

No Tax On Rotax

I think this isn’t Trump’s fault but obviously some advisors stepped in and had a talk with him after his agreement to meet which he most likely agreed to without seeking approval or even advice before announcing it on Twitter.

You would think the US would prefer a military conflict when they don’t even want to give it a shot. It’s a shame as maybe this is exactly what is needed to make some serious changes.

Kim (like Trump) seems to be a narcissist which means that if he ever got to meet the POTUS, he would get a lot more attention and be seen as an important leader on the world stage and by recognizing him as such first, maybe he would be more willing to negotiate afterwards.

scbriml

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 pm

According to Sarah Huckabee Sanders, North Korea has promised to "denuclerize".

NIKV69

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:09 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Ugh that ugly Ho?

Kidding aside but this meeting has little chance of happening Kim Jong-un will not meet anywhere outside of NK and Trump would be an idiot to go there. Only chance if somehow it happens in South Korea but that is the only site I see both actually showing up to.

Dutchy

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:21 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Ugh that ugly Ho?

Kidding aside but this meeting has little chance of happening Kim Jong-un will not meet anywhere outside of NK and Trump would be an idiot to go there. Only chance if somehow it happens in South Korea but that is the only site I see both actually showing up to.

China? In the border building?

But even Trump must realize that North Korea regime will be legitimized by actually meeting them like this? That's why all US presidents have actually declained. So yes I would say a victory for Kim, not Trump.

anrec80

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:
But even Trump must realize that North Korea regime will be legitimized by actually meeting them like this? That's why all US presidents have actually declained. So yes I would say a victory for Kim, not Trump.

What do you mean "legitimized"? Did someone ever question legitimacy of Kim's "dynasty" so to speak as legitimate leaders of the country? Nobody never did. And, most importantly, neither do North Koreans themselves. And since it's their leadership, it's their decision.

USA and other countries should work with any leadership North Koreans themselves find legitimate. Same is true with regards to Syria. And they also should leave in the past these "legitimacy" and "legitimacy loss" rhetoric.

Dutchy

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:57 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

What do you mean "legitimized"? Did someone ever question legitimacy of Kim's "dynasty" so to speak as legitimate leaders of the country? Nobody never did. And, most importantly, neither do North Koreans themselves. And since it's their leadership, it's their decision.

USA and other countries should work with any leadership North Koreans themselves find legitimate. Same is true with regards to Syria. And they also should leave in the past these "legitimacy" and "legitimacy loss" rhetoric.

Haha, "decision"? do you imply that the North Koreans are free to choose their leader? You are disconnected from the real news then. They are quite repressed you know :lol:

What is a legitimate government? I would say that a government, autocratic like Putin's or not, has lost it's legitimate when it turns on its people that it supposed to govern. The Assad regime does it with barrel bombs (for sure) and chemical warfare (not yet 100% proven I think). The Kim dynasty does it with one of the most repressive regimes on earth, only rivaled perhaps by Eritrea.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:18 am

FDR met with the Mass Murderer Stalin, who ended up killing more than Hitler did during in his reign of terror. But, of course, we mustn't forget that President Nixon met with Chairman Mao, who presided over more deaths than Hitler and Stalin combined. (Deaths by starvation from poor "Plans," are still Govt. instigated "deaths".)

anrec80

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 am

Dutchy wrote:
Haha, "decision"? do you imply that the North Koreans are free to choose their leader? You are disconnected from the real news then. They are quite repressed you know :lol:

What is a legitimate government? I would say that a government, autocratic like Putin's or not, has lost it's legitimate when it turns on its people that it supposed to govern. The Assad regime does it with barrel bombs (for sure) and chemical warfare (not yet 100% proven I think). The Kim dynasty does it with one of the most repressive regimes on earth, only rivaled perhaps by Eritrea.

Did you read my post? Who’s legitimate in what country and who is not - this is none of your business. And when they lose this legitimacy it’s also not up to you. If you on the West finally get this through your heads, this world will be a better place and there will be less terrorism, insecurity, poverty. This is true about everyone - Syria’s Assad, NK’s Kim, Russia’s Putin, Libya’s Gaddafi. And the job of your PMs, Presidents - is to enter talks with these people when national insterests of their nations require it. If they have an issue with this - they should consider resigning.

And one more wish - West should also stop recognizing illegitimate regimes similar to the one now in Kiev. You recognized those war criminals way too soon.

Dutchy

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am

anrec80 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Did you read my post?

Did you read what you have written? It quite clearly stated that it was the decision of the North Koreans. Which in itself would have been a funny comment, if it weren't so sad if you take into account the North Koreans themselves. You can come a long way with propaganda, as we have seen in many countries.

anrec80 wrote:
Who’s legitimate in what country and who is not - this is none of your business. And when they lose this legitimacy it’s also not up to you. If you on the West finally get this through your heads, this world will be a better place and there will be less terrorism, insecurity, poverty. This is true about everyone - Syria’s Assad, NK’s Kim, Russia’s Putin, Libya’s Gaddafi. And the job of your PMs, Presidents - is to enter talks with these people when national insterests of their nations require it. If they have an issue with this - they should consider resigning.

And one more wish - West should also stop recognizing illegitimate regimes similar to the one now in Kiev. You recognized those war criminals way too soon.

Oh ok. So you decide when a regime is legitimate or not? Ukraine --> not legitimate. North Korea is fine and legitimate. Could you inform me in advance these things so I know this? I do not have your list from the Kremlin. Much obliged.

"If you on the West finally get this through your heads, this world will be a better place and there will be less terrorism, insecurity, poverty." --> you put a lot on the plate of the west I see. Everything that goes wrong is the west its fault. Brilliant such a limited worldview, it discharges you from critical thinking.

zkojq

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:35 am

What's the bet that the "Tremendous" deal Trump and Un reaches involves a full US withdrawal from the Korean Peninsula (presumably in return for some promise to denuclearise)? :lol:

c933103

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

If any of you have been following the news, then you might be aware of that North Korea have not reacted to the acceptance in any way, neither externally nor internally. A Japanese media owned by North Korean organization have briefly published the news but was then being deleted.

There have been a lot of different speculation on why is it so silent, but I am personally sided with the theory that given how much South Korea government is currently pro-talk, and given how the message was solely stated by member of South Korean government, maybe they have incorrectly stated some sort of nuances that the North Korean government might not initially stated and that put the Pyongyang government on a hard position in how they're going to respond to the invitation.
Another alternative theory I have seen is that maybe they didn't expect America to answer the invitation and is trying to make up with a response but that seems unlikely to me.

petertenthije

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Apparantly the North Koreans only want to continue with the meeting if the USA removes all their troops from the peninsula. This is obviously not going to happen. So I guess the meeting is off.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find an English source yet:
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1795459 ... -schroeven

DDR

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:10 am

zkojq wrote:
What's the bet that the "Tremendous" deal Trump and Un reaches involves a full US withdrawal from the Korean Peninsula (presumably in return for some promise to denuclearise)? :lol:

Absolutely zero. Never, no way. But this is the funniest post of the thread.

seb146

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:23 am

Does anyone remember that MSM chastised Obama for wanting to meet with Un? Remember when Obama was called weak for wanting to talk directly with Un and DPRK?

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/ ... ing/219598

And, BTW, tRump is not the first president invited to DPRK

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/politics ... index.html

so stop acting like it is a big deal He probably wants to ask Un how he keeps all his citizens loving him at all times....

BN747

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:35 am

A historic meeting?

It would be historic if the US had a sane, rational and intellectual leader at the helm...but we don't.

Even with this klown-in-chief leading all 300+mil of our US citizens, he is doomed to embarrass us all..IF..

IF it does pan out..but my money is it will never happen in the first place.

Drumpf (his true original family name) fired Tillerson yesterday and fired McMaster and hour ago...why?

Today's announcement of Mueller issuing subpoenas to the Trump Org. while news to us, is probably 2, 3 days or more old but alarming to the orange menace himself.
This may have triggered rampage now taking place in the WH at the moment.

Little Kim's meeting, with all these political bombs going off, will be shuffled to the end of all agendas.

BN747

BawliBooch

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:43 am

I remember Fox having a meltdown when someone in the Obama team suggested a meeting between the then presidents.

Wonder how they are going to spin this one?

All crazy dictators today have atleast one thing in common - their chief strategy is to control the news cycles. This is no different.

News cycles will get diverted into discussing a potential Kim-Trump meet and avoid looking too deeply into other important news like Mueller, Russia, porn stars and such.

Wish Media was more focussed.