Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

steveinbc
Topic Author

Norway announces 25% increase in whaling quota

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:00 am

BBC news reported that Norway announced a 25% increase in its whaling quota this year to approximately 1,300 whales. To me that's an astonishing number of whales to kill and I don't understand in this day and age the need for traditional whale products like oils and blubber. I wonder if there will be any boycotts of Norwegian products or tourism (or even Norwegian Airlines) from worldwide consumers. According to reports this hasn't caused any significant concerns domestically.

Kiwirob

Re: Norway announces 25% increase in whaling quota

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:11 am

I don’t know any Norwegians who eat whale, none of my friends or wife’s family do, even my local supermarket stopped selling whale meat, so I don’t get this, if anything I thought the industry like sealing was headed for the dust bin.

Redd

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 am

Kiwirob wrote:
I don’t know any Norwegians who eat whale, none of my friends or wife’s family do, even my local supermarket stopped selling whale meat, so I don’t get this, if anything I thought the industry like sealing was headed for the dust bin.

I wonder which country/market is driving the demand for the product?

Disgusting move on behalf of the Norwegian government, I'd really like to see a boycott of Norwegian products over this. If there ever was a worth reason to boycott this must surely be one.

ltbewr

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11 am

Good question why the whaling continues, I don't see any need or purpose but to keep a few fishermen in business for some politicians to keep their jobs.This seems to be a dark side of a country often seen as a model of government and social benefits to its citizens.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Disgusting move on behalf of the Norwegian government, I'd really like to see a boycott of Norwegian products over this. If there ever was a worth reason to boycott this must surely be one.

It's all about politics IMO, I believe it's most likely something to do with Norway showing they are independant of the EU and giving them the finger. Last year Norwegian whalers caught about 400 whales from a quote of 999. So whilst the new quota looks pretty high they will never catch that many, which begs the questions why increased it, all they are doing is annoying the crap out of people and if by some miracle they caught the full quote most would probably be ground up into petfood or fertilizer.

casinterest

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:57 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

It's all about politics IMO, I believe it's most likely something to do with Norway showing they are independant of the EU and giving them the finger. Last year Norwegian whalers caught about 400 whales from a quote of 999. So whilst the new quota looks pretty high they will never catch that many, which begs the questions why increased it, all they are doing is annoying the crap out of people and if by some miracle they caught the full quote most would probably be ground up into petfood or fertilizer.

Are they exporting or transferring rights to Japan?

LAH1

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Jouhou wrote:
I think the world is too busy looking on at the economic idiocy coming out of the US in horror to notice. Don't worry, Norway is safe.

It's not Norway's safety that needs to be worried about. Shameful behaviour.

af773atmsp

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:43 pm

So what does the average Norwegian think of this? Are there any polls on this?

CCGPV

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:11 pm

What a terrible culture that allows such a thing.

Shameful practice of a nation.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
So what does the average Norwegian think of this? Are there any polls on this?

Most Norwegians don’t eat whale, I had this discussion at work today, only one older lady in my team eats whale. My kids don’t like it, once the older people are gone whaling will most likely die off.

NIKV69

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm

CCGPV wrote:
What a terrible culture that allows such a thing.

Shameful practice of a nation.

+1

vhqpa

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 pm

Won't stop me from visiting Norway at the end of the year. And in case you’re wondering, yes I will try some hvalkjøtt.

jubguy3

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:49 am

what the fuck, Norway? Whale populations are shrinking rapidly below their genetically indicated populations from decades ago. You have the world's largest sovereign wealth fund. go find something better to spend your time with waiting to retire than killing whales. for a place like Norway that spearheads public acceptance of environmental efforts like electric cars, im surprised there isn't a larger outcry over this.

Mortyman

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:13 am

The whale meat is primarely exported to Japan.

It is not really a big economic source for Norway or Norwegian businesses compared to other things.

The Norwegian government says that killing the particulare type of whale does not endanger this particulare species and that it has to be done to keep the number at a certain level compared to other marine life.

The Norwegian coast guard has had close encounters with whale protesters before. The incident with Sea Sheppard in 1994 with Paul Watson is a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHKkFOLC5Cg

Personally I have never tried it, but I certainly know Norwegians who have. It's not a food that is regualary eaten by most Norwegians. It has more to do with old traditions in certain parts of the country.

The Minke whale is not endangered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_minke_whale

You can read more about Norwegian whaling and it's long history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Norway

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:46 am

Mortyman wrote:

The Minke whale is not endangered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_minke_whale

That's beside the point.

Mortyman wrote:
You can read more about Norwegian whaling and it's long history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Norway

Lots of countries had a long history in whaling, NZ was basically founded on whaling and sealing and we gave it up. Norway should give it up, it's pointless, Norwegians don't need whale to survive.

zkojq

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Disgusting practice, absolutely time for it to end.

Credit where credit is due; at least Norway takes whales from their own waters, unlike Japan who's whalers sail halfway around the world to take other people's whales.

Kiwirob wrote:
Lots of countries had a long history in whaling, NZ was basically founded on whaling and sealing and we gave it up. Norway should give it up, it's pointless, Norwegians don't need whale to survive.

:checkmark: