Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA940
Topic Author

Trump to oppose Boeing-Iran deal

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2018/02/2 ... ment-Trump

If this has been posted before, feel free to delete this.

Would be really sad to see this deal not go through. Also would kinda go against Trump's ''America First'' policy, and could endanger lives if he re-imposes sanctions (which I wouldn't be surprised by). I really hope the US will allow the deal to go through, but seeing Congress' POV I kinda doubt it. Quelle surprise...

holzmann

Re: Trump to oppose Boeing-Iran deal

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:34 pm

OA940 wrote:
http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2018/02/20/553007/Iran-Boeing-US-government-Trump

Would be really sad to see this deal not go through. Also would kinda go against Trump's ''America First'' policy, and could endanger lives if he re-imposes sanctions (which I wouldn't be surprised by). I really hope the US will allow the deal to go through, but seeing Congress' POV I kinda doubt it. Quelle surprise...

What on earth kind of site/source is that? Never seen so much pro-Russia propaganda. According to them the Irkut MC 21 is the best NB AC on the planet, vastly superior to the B737-MAX and A320neo.

MadameConcorde

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm

I oppose Trump's decision not to let Boeing sell new civilian passenger transport aircraft to Iran. This is plain wrong.

Iran badly needs new civilian passenger transport aircraft. Long haul and medium haul, all distances. Mr. MAGA could MAGA even more by allowing the sales. Boeing aircraft are built in different parts of the world, this is true. Revenue goes to Boeing. A lot of jobs are created in the U.S. by manufacturing new aircraft.

The same goes with Airbus. I was very disappointed that they did not include Tehran on the Airbus A350-1000 world tour. Iran has placed an order for 16 of the type. No one knows if the order will be respected and the delivery to Iran will be taking place in a near or distant future.

Turbofanfan

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm

My heart bleeds for Iran. Everyone I spoke to who's been there has told me about the hospitality of the Iranian people, always sharing company, food and getting invited into their homes. Unless you didn't want to, then they'd leave you alone just as respectfully.

They are being cruelly oppressed by a over-zealous religious elite, and isolating them like this will only serve to tighten the grip that religous elite has over the country.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:11 pm

America is being the odd one out here, not Iran.

LAXdude1023

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:17 pm

The worlds gone crazy. I feel really bad for Iran. Americans have been brainwashed to think they are something they actually arent.

OA940
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:18 pm

holzmann wrote:
OA940 wrote:

What on earth kind of site/source is that? Never seen so much pro-Russia propaganda. According to them the Irkut MC 21 is the best NB AC on the planet, vastly superior to the B737-MAX and A320neo.

Don't kill the messenger.

But it's not really all that unlikely.

SelseyBill

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Turbofanfan wrote:
My heart bleeds for Iran.

Completely agree. Wonderful country, warm, welcoming, intelligent, courteous people. They deserve better.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
The worlds gone crazy. I feel really bad for Iran. Americans have been brainwashed to think they are something they actually arent.

100% correct.

Listening to some of the generalized US media comments around this proposed Boeing deal, they have Iran and Iranians completely wrong IMO. Completely false stereotypes being peddled by those in the media who have probably never been to Iran, or met some of its people.

It would be similar to me suggesting Americans love to murder their own school kids in cold blood by the dozen............. oh wait !!!!!!

Newark727

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Trump, friend of American manufacturing...

MSPSXMFLIER

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Iran in 2018 is a far cry from Iran of 1979 and Ayatollah Khomeini. Because of the decades of isolation and imposed sanctions, they desperately need all sorts of western goods and technology, aircraft included. This deal would be a great way to start things anew with a different, better educated, savvier generation of Iranians. Trump and Congress are doing nothing more than stoking up the same old fearful rhetoric from decades past. Such stupidity!

c933103

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:55 pm

holzmann wrote:
OA940 wrote:

You are quoting the post's comment not the article itself

BobbyPSP

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Can we get a mainstream, credible source please?

neomax

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:43 pm

As a Pakistani, I have nothing but love for our Iranian neighbors. I sympathize with my Iranian friends who are the victims of a baseless campaign whose aim is nothing other than to make life miserable. But I am happy to see that although IR direly needs new planes, the country as a whole is coping well and resilient to pressure. I am hopeful that within the next decade, this pointless siege can finally be resolved by other mediators besides the US and allow Iran to once again be accepted as a member of the international community.

toxtethogrady

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 pm

OA940 wrote:
Would be really sad to see this deal not go through. Also would kinda go against Trump's ''America First'' policy

Since when has Trump been known to do anything not mercurial? He says one thing, tweets another thing, then does a third...all the while looking over his shoulder to make sure Robert Mueller's gumshoes aren't lurking nearby.

Maybe he and Putin have cooked up a big deal with Aeroflot...

OA940
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:13 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Would be really sad to see this deal not go through. Also would kinda go against Trump's ''America First'' policy

Since when has Trump been known to do anything not mercurial? He says one thing, tweets another thing, then does a third...all the while looking over his shoulder to make sure Robert Mueller's gumshoes aren't lurking nearby.

Maybe he and Putin have cooked up a big deal with Aeroflot...

Hmmm..... Perhaps so.

texl1649

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:23 pm

This action is wholly unsurprising, given recent threats to kill PM Netanyahu and level Tel Aviv via nuclear strike (related to the shoot down, in Israeli air space, of an Iranian drone). I'd think the Iranian government would have anticipated aviation trade considerations in their policy decisions/statements.

"On February 5, US officials highlighted efforts by Mahan Air, a subsidiary of Iran Air, to skirt US sanctions that targeted its shipment of Iranian weapons and personnel to Syria’s embattled President Bashar Assad. According to the Commerce Department, Mahan Air repeatedly used Turkish front companies to purchase US-made airplane parts, including engines, over several years."

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Trump- ... ent-543092

cfichad

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Of course Trump opposes the deal. He is in the back pocket of BB Netanyahu. What does El Al purchase? Maybe a few 787's and 777's? Not to the volume of the Iranian deal.

Mr. MAGA, the friend to manufacturing in the United States is full of it.

Dahlgardo

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Are you for real?
What in the Iranian political system do you think is superior to the US?

bennett123

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 pm

I assume you have links to these other plots.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Are you for real?

Are you for real?
Where did I say that the Iranian political system is superior to the US version of democracy?

I only said, the US is at odds to the rest of the world (EU for instance) whom would like to honor the deal. Iran also said it will honor the deal even the US will break it. That's why they are the oddball out, not Iran. Criticism of the US isn't the same as wishing the US to hell. Don't be so oversensitive. ;)

Bricktop

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:06 pm

cfichad wrote:
Of course Trump opposes the deal. He is in the back pocket of BB Netanyahu. What does El Al purchase? Maybe a few 787's and 777's? Not to the volume of the Iranian deal.

I can't keep the lunatic fringe talking points straight. I though he was in the back pocket of Putin. :? Or was that last week? Next week? :banghead:

Dutchy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Bricktop wrote:
cfichad wrote:

I can't keep the lunatic fringe talking points straight. I though he was in the back pocket of Putin. :? Or was that last week? Next week? :banghead:

With his tiny, tiny hands he can be in both :lol:

CCGPV

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Are you for real?

Are you for real?
Where did I say that the Iranian political system is superior to the US version of democracy?

I only said, the US is at odds to the rest of the world (EU for instance) whom would like to honor the deal. Iran also said it will honor the deal even the US will break it. That's why they are the oddball out, not Iran. Criticism of the US isn't the same as wishing the US to hell. Don't be so oversensitive. ;)

Then sell them Airbus planes...simple as that. Teach the USA a lesson.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:

Are you for real?

Are you for real?

Then sell them Airbus planes...simple as that. Teach the USA a lesson.

Not about teaching anyone a lesson, it's about sticking to a deal. And Airbus has some US components, so it will probably be blocked as well.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 pm

OA940 wrote:

It mentioned a Boeing aircraft set for delivering in may 2018, what model is this and isn't it yet in production?

kaitak

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Didn't Rex Tillerson say that the Airbus deals could go ahead? Or has this been superseded.

This is another massive step back by the US, and it goes far beyond aviation. The previous US government entered into the deal and brokered it. It's not only the Iranian this will upset, but the EU as well (and not just because it will threaten Airbus sales). It will be quite clear that the US is opposing this because of massive pressure from Israel; they are trying to use the recent Mahan Air issue as justification. However, that's a separate issue; the Trump administration is simply trying to find justification to do something it has long wanted to do and it'll be another nail in America's credibility.

A hugely retrograde step by the administration, but really, who can be surprised.

Here's the big issue. Iran is a country of 80m people. Yes, there are elements that are not particularly attractive, but they were induced to be party to a nuclear deal; they did so (admittedly under threat of more sanctions). They kept their side of the deal; America has now welched on it - mostly because of pressure from Israel and the Israeli lobby. America (and in particular, the Trump administration) has to understand that you cannot get anywhere with a "stick, stick, stick" approach, which seems to be the essence of this administration's attitude to Iran. It won't work; it's unsustainable, assuming their intention is to work towards a middle east peace deal. (Is this even seen as realistic now?). The Iran deal, agreed by Russia, the EU and the former administration, was a first step in bringing Iran in from the cold and now, it seems that it is effectively dead. What do they want to put in place, or will they just support Bibi's attempts to provoke Iran until Israel can justify what it has long wanted to do: to bomb Iran's nuclear facilities.

It's difficult to ascertain what possible strategy this could be part of. What do they actually intend; who is driving this policy? What is America's policy goal in the Middle East. Being seen as a country which welches on deals it entered into can only be seen as a huge blow to its credibility. Where now from here? How will the other parties to the deal react? The EU will certainly want to distance itself from the Americans, but if one of the key carrots (from Iran's perspective) is now gone, what future for the deal. And what if America tells the Europeans they can't sell anymore Airbuses to Iran?

Bottom line: torpedoing this deal will bring nothing positive, even to those who oppose it. It will bring nothing positive to America (but many, many negatives), it will do nothing positive for Israel, it will further undermine the standing of the US in the Middle East (as if it could go much lower) and it will make any future deal with Iran far more difficult to achieve, because the hand of those in Iran who opposed the deal - the hardliners - has now been greatly strengthened.

Another brilliant move backwards, Mr. Trump!
Last edited by kaitak on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B0pp0

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Before anyone asks this, how would this have gone down had Hillary won?

That said, who really gains from this? This nation should not be centered on the ego of one man over common sense and humanity. Watch Boeing and their money side with the Democrats who wouldn't have interfered in this just because.

More and more, I think the Iranians are better people than Trump. I may disagree with some elements of Islam and their treatment of women but at least the Iranians are good people who don't do rash decisions for their own ego.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 pm

kaitak wrote:
Didn't Rex Tillerson say that the Airbus deals could go ahead? Or has this been superseded.

That would be shooting someone in the foot.

Bricktop

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 pm

I just Googled "Iran Airplane Sales" and got zippo on this. Last relevant article was from Forbes a week ago about the Iranians looking at Russian planes. I am calling BS. But hey, grab torches and pitchforks everyone!

SC430

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:29 am

Trump never shows his cards until the end. Until then everything is posturing. Let it play out.

I personally would like the deal to go thru - I'm happy seeing the Iranians spend money on airliners, instead of giving them billions in cash like Obama did to fund terrorism.

zkojq

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 am

As an Airbus shareholder, I'm very grateful for Trump's tireless diplomatic efforts. :lol:

SC430 wrote:
instead of giving them billions in cash like Obama did to fund terrorism.

:banghead: :banghead: It was their money.

Jouhou

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 am

holzmann wrote:
OA940 wrote:

An Iranian one. That's an Iranian media outlet. They also tend to report every twist and turn in the negotiation process whereas western media tends to wait until the conclusion for reporting, like when there's a formal press release. I'm sometimes actually surprised by the honesty of Iranian media when compared to the likes of... Russian media. Lots of propaganda still though.

So what they report is likely a reflection of the actual ongoing negotiations, but not necessarily predictive of the end result.

Jouhou

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:38 am

zkojq wrote:
As an Airbus shareholder, I'm very grateful for Trump's tireless diplomatic efforts. :lol:

SC430 wrote:

Specifically, unfrozen assets released... So they could spend it on shiny new boeing aircraft. It was done with this selfish consideration in mind. Frozen assets are useless to everyone, why not release the funds and earn them back?

OA940
Topic Author

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:
OA940 wrote:

It mentioned a Boeing aircraft set for delivering in may 2018, what model is this and isn't it yet in production?

I think it's probably the 777-300ER. And it's not production that sets delivery dates necessarily. See the A320neo or 737 MAX or A350 or 787. EK ordered the 787-10 (first one will be delivered in like a month from now) with deliveries starting in 2020 or 2022 (I can't remember). That's because all previous delivery slots are taken.

SC430

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 pm

zkojq wrote:

SC430 wrote:

So you return it to them in cash? Pallets of cash loaded on military transports? Also I believe their were claims on the cash in the courts by American citizens held hostage.

Jouhou

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:44 pm

SC430 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

SC430 wrote:

So you return it to them in cash? Pallets of cash loaded on military transports? Also I believe their were claims on the cash in the courts by American citizens held hostage.

You expect them to keep the funds in an offshore bank account within a hostile nation? That's how they got frozen in the first place.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Boeing 2016 Press Release
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2016-12-11- ... -Airplanes

Boeing and Iran Air announced an agreement today for 80 aircraft that includes 50 737 MAX 8s, 15 777-300ERs and 15 777-9s, valued at $16.6 billion at list prices.

scbriml

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 pm

SC430 wrote:

It was cash when it was frozen by the US. How else should it be returned?

Re hostage compensation:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2015/12/24/us/a ... index.html

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/25/u ... later.html