Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dragon-wings
Topic Author

This years flu season

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 am

With this years flu season being so bad and people dying from the flu, has anyone here gotten the flu? My dad got the flu about 2 weeks ago. Although it must of been a week strain because he was feeling better after 3 days! On Thursday I came down with Strep Throat. I had a fever of 102 on Thursday and Friday. I am feeling better now, although when I wake up I have a slight fever now.

redngold

Re: This years flu season

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:51 am

I didin't get the flu (yet) but I did get RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) which usually hits babies and young children. I was in bed for 3-1/2 weeks except for small excursions to the grocery store for food and beverages, and was hospitalized two times for a total of 4-1/2 days with two additional emergency room visits. RSV + asthma = misery

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:32 pm

I thought I came down with the flu a few weekends ago but it ended up being gastroenteritis. Lot of fever and lethargy BUT when it came down to it, no cough or nasal secretions, no sore throat but lots of diarrhea. Even though urgent care diagnosed flu, it wasn't until the next day that it dawned that it wasn't flu.

I'm still cautious. Even though I had the flu shot, its low effectiveness is almost like having no protection at all.

ANITIX87

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:37 pm

The flu vaccine seems to be basically useless this year. My fiance is required to get it for her job - she got the worst flu of her life this winter (104 fever, in bed for 3 days, etc). I did not get a vaccine, and I've been free of the flu all season (*knock on wood*).

casinterest

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Still good so far. I took the vaccine.
I am awaiting my chance to get sick though as I have two kids in school

BestWestern

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm

In HK they closed all kindergartens and primary schools for two weeks to stop the spread of the flu virus. The usual wait of 30 minutes in the hyper efficient A&E was up to 8 hours today, so it looks like the closure may be extended.

During SARS, schools were closed for 3 months.

Aesma

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Several family members got it and all found it to be brutal.

I can't remember if I ever got the flu to be honest, not in the last decade at least. No vaccine for me. When I come up with something, once every 2 or 3 years, a good night of sleep with some fever and I'm OK, so no need to get a diagnostic.

Jouhou

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:51 pm

It's a bit late now, but I guess for southern hemisphere people: get flucelvax of flublok, the cell propagated flu vaccines. This gets around the h3n2 ineffectiveness thing. Vaccine produced in animal cells won't encounter so much mutation, which has been the h3n2 vaccines problem. Also americans: even if you're healthy, the flu shot is worth sparing you having to take days off from work.

CCGPV

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 am

No vaccine for me since 2012. Thankfully I've only had the flu once and I had the nasal spray vaccine that year.

I would get the shot but to be honest its just my laziness that prevents me from doing so. When they offer it at work for free I always get one. One employer required it (among other vaccinations) in order to work period.

c933103

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
The flu vaccine seems to be basically useless this year. My fiance is required to get it for her job - she got the worst flu of her life this winter (104 fever, in bed for 3 days, etc). I did not get a vaccine, and I've been free of the flu all season (*knock on wood*).

According to my understanding, the flu vaccine does not 100% exempt one from getting the flu. It will be less likely to have the flu and less likely to have severe consequences once you get the flu, therefore it would be less likely to spread around in the society

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 am

I did get a flu vaccine in late September, and the week before Christmas I came down with Influenza A (diagnosed via an in-office test). I was placed on a round of Tamiflu, which helped immensely, but I still felt like I'd been hit by a truck for about a week. Runny nose/post-nasal drip, coughing, tightness in the chest, aches, fever, the works. I haven't felt that sick in over a decade, and I wouldn't wish that flu on my worst enemy.

fr8mech

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 am

I got the vaccine back in October, along with the pneumonia vaccine. I haven't gotten it, though I had one day where I had a slight fever, chills and body aches, back in January. Passed as quickly as it came.

My wife was down for 3 days...a couple of co-workers out for a few days. The kids (15 & 11) have avoided it.